Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Protests break out after Baton Rouge police fatally shoot man

Sticksboi05

In case you don't know about it the WashingtonPost is tracking shooting deaths by police. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

You can sort it by race or by various other things like fleeing the scene or if they were armed.

I wonder how the number of interactions breaks down by race.

Does show that it's not necessarily a race problem as much as people try to make it though considering white leads all categories in terms of death numbers (unarmed, unknown, knives, guns, etc) Assuming interactions are similar

I wonder how the number of interactions breaks down by race.

Does show that it's not necessarily a race problem as much as people try to make it though considering white leads all categories in terms of death numbers (unarmed, unknown, knives, guns, etc)

Um... No.

White people are gunned down less per capita than blacks.

White people make up 62% of the population yet only 47% of police shootings are white people. Black people make up 13% of the population yet account for 24% of police shootings. That is a HUGE problem.

However, males represent 95% of the amount gunned down by police so perhaps we should start protesting that as well.

That's a reasonable guess, and I would feel the same way if I didn't see a video of professional tennis player James Blake getting tackled without a single word being said by a psycho cop. There are far too many examples of why you can't trust what police claim happened unless you see it for yourself.

I'd forgotten about that, but to me that's bad procedure.  When you have a person that is not being or threatening violence, if you do not feel like you can safely go up to the person and ask for their ID, then you need to wait until you have more back up or find somebody else that does.

Um... No.

White people are gunned down less per capita than blacks.

White people make up 62% of the population yet only 47% of police shootings are white people. Black people make up 13% of the population yet account for 24% of police shootings. That is a HUGE problem.

However, males represent 95% of the amount gunned down by police so perhaps we should start protesting that as well.

you have to look at interactions in this instance. I'm not saying black are not profiled more than whites but I'm looking for interactions and the % based off of direct contact.

Or maybe that doesn't mean that cops are sexist and afraid of males and you don't have to protest. Maybe there's another explanation.

Just got a chance to watch the Alton Sterling press conference from yesterday. His son breaking down at the 40 second mark is devastating. I can't even being to understand the trauma he will live with for the rest of his life.  :(

you have to look at interactions in this instance. I'm not saying black are not profiled more than whites but I'm looking for interactions and the % based off of direct contact.

Fair enough. However I believe that the argument is that blacks have more interactions, far more interactions, than whites and that shouldn't be the case. In a "fair" country, all numbers would be equal.

Fair enough. However I believe that the argument is that blacks have more interactions, far more interactions, than whites and that shouldn't be the case. In a "fair" country, all numbers would be equal.

Maybe you're looking at the wrong numbers?

Maybe look at crime statistics and relate them to interactions instead of just blanket % of population by race and by interaction?

That's sound right, and it is why I mentioned Louisiana earlier in this thread.  Or do you mean Los Angeles?   because that would fit as well - the LAPD is notorious for protecting bad cops.  

Either way, here's the thing - if police departments were seen to be actively weeding out their bad cops, things would be different for the remainder of the police.  There always will be odd cases where a cop panics while pointing a gun at someone and someone gets shot who should have been.   Those are tragedies, but people could live with them as aberrations.  

I once knew a retired police officer in Chicago.   I have no reason to think that he was a dirty cop, but he definitely hated police whistleblowers with the intensity of a thousand suns.  He lived in an us vs. them world, and to him, prosecuting a bad cop was the same as disrespecting all police and siding with the criminals, and even felt that it was putting police lives in danger.   It was bizarre, and just talking about the subject made him angry as hell.  

Not sure what you can do about that, but it has to change. 

LAPD.  Sorry for being unclear.

Isn't the difference attributable to violent crimes stats?

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/apr/02/sally-kohn/sally-kohn-white-men-69-percent-arrested-violent/

Archived