Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana

PCS

1 hour ago, jschuck12001 said:

Whatever beat reporter is on 106.7 The Fan right now he said Sudfeld got paid much more, supposedly $20k per month from the Eagles.

Isn't PS minimum like $7200 per week? He's getting more than $20k per month.

Or did you mean they're paying him $20k per month more than we offered?

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It was a national guy, Garafalo. I heard that, I didn't love that he also said that they liked the fact that he knew the Redskins playbook leading up to the game.  He said it was a combination of liking Sudfeld the player and liking how they can help them for this game.

I forgot what Philly report said it but there was one guy on a radio show who said this game for Philly is huge.  They think they should beat Washington and its the most winnable game on their NFC East road schedule -- so they see this game as a lynchpin one for the season.  

Maybe due to the fact we swept their ass the last 2 years the Philly coaches feel $20,000 is worth the price to get some info from Nate.

I don't even bother paying attention to what Philly fans say anymore, they are so delusional when it comes to how good their football team is.

2 hours ago, UKskins said:

Looks like the PS league minimum is $7650/gm - $122,400/yr. My guess Philly is paying Suds $20k/gm or $320,000/yr. He made I believe $465k last year. Redskins must have not been willing to keep him at that salary. Again, not really worried about this at all. I think people are making a bit too much out of nothing.

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It was a national guy, Garafalo. I heard that, I didn't love that he also said that they liked the fact that he knew the Redskins playbook leading up to the game.  He said it was a combination of liking Sudfeld the player and liking how they can help them for this game.

I forgot what Philly report said it but there was one guy on a radio show who said this game for Philly is huge.  They think they should beat Washington and its the most winnable game on their NFC East road schedule -- so they see this game as a lynchpin one for the season.  

I guess they have forgotten that they have gone 0-5 against the Skins the last couple of years.

23 hours ago, glongest said:

So if I my understanding is correct, he had the opportunity to choose to be on the Skins practice squad or the Eagles and he chose the Eagles.  With Cousins up in the air for next year and with the back up being Colt McCoy, not exactly going to scare anyone, and the fact that he has been in this system for how ever many years, to me that is a pretty strong statement  on the system, the team, and the coaching staff and I don't mean in a positive way.  

i disagree. I think it likely has something to do with the fact he was clearly outplayed by McCoy in TC and PS, and maybe through body language or something said to him by the FO, knew he had no shot at even being QB2 after this season. Going to Philly gives him a fresh start, with a stable of QBs who haven't proven even half of what Kirk has so far. Foles sucks, and maybe he thinks Wentz will flame out and give him a better opportunity to play. 

Odd choice to go out of your way to choose to learn a new offense under coaches who have no investment in you, rather than staying for year 3 in an offense you're fluent in for a coaching staff who already knows you. Seems like a bad business decision for a few extra thousand dollars, but it's his business decision and he'll have to live with it.

Personally if he's that afraid of the prospect of beating out Colt McCoy (whose $3-4M/year we'd love to get off the books in future years, especially if we spend big on Cousins) I'm glad to be rid of him. He sucks and has a limited ceiling anyways...the NFL is just so devoid of QB talent that his physical traits still made him worth developing. 

54 minutes ago, UKskins said:

Or did you mean they're paying him $20k per month more than we offered?

I'm not sure who was on 106.7 today but he said there was no cap on what you can pay a player on the PS, supposedly Sudfeld got $20k per something (not sure if it was per game or month) as a salary and the Redskins offered much less money.

2 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I'm not sure who was on 106.7 today but he said there was no cap on what you can pay a player on the PS, supposedly Sudfeld got $20k per something (not sure if it was per game or month) as a salary and the Redskins offered much less money.

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Odd choice to go out of your way to choose to learn a new offense under coaches who have no investment in you, rather than staying for year 3 in an offense you're fluent in for a coaching staff who already knows you. Seems like a bad business decision for a few extra thousand dollars, but it's his business decision and he'll have to live with it.

Personally if he's that afraid of the prospect of beating out Colt McCoy (whose $3-4M/year we'd love to get off the books in future years, especially if we spend big on Cousins) I'm glad to be rid of him. He sucks and has a limited ceiling anyways...the NFL is just so devoid of QB talent that his physical traits still made him worth developing. 

I didn't know about the Nick Foles injury so Sudfeld likely has a better line to start for the Eagles than Redskins, perhaps.

10 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am pretty sure they know our weaknesses by now. Not a real secret. So far we have not demonstrated a run game or more importantly any commitment to it. The middle of our line is suspect even though the outsides are good. It's likely our WRs and QB will not be on the same page early especially so there will be opportunities for picks if you are patient.

True, but I was thinking more in line with weaknesses that are not public knowledge like a possibility that "Reed can't run an out because of his right toe" or "Scherff has a sore knee so they won't pull the right guard".  I have no idea about such details and am just making these things up, but there might be something we don't know about.  Any way, it isn't good news that the Eagles have our QB. It aint the worst news, but it certainly won't help us unless, like KoolBlue said, we have dummy calls in the game plan.

I'm sure there will be some dummy calls at the line to try and fool their D. As many have said, his intel is most likely something that the Eagles don't already know after playing us the past few years.

If we execute and play as we're capable, the Redskins should win this game

9 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

True, but I was thinking more in line with weaknesses that are not public knowledge like a possibility that "Reed can't run an out because of his right toe" or "Scherff has a sore knee so they won't pull the right guard".  I have no idea about such details and am just making these things up, but there might be something we don't know about.  Any way, it isn't good news that the Eagles have our QB. It aint the worst news, but it certainly won't help us unless, like KoolBlue said, we have dummy calls in the game plan.

The thing is, Sudfeld probably wouldn't know any of that because he rarely worked with the first teamers in true practices (training camp toss-arounds don't count :) ).

And I seriously doubt that Gruden would waste his time telling his third-string QB all of these details.

I figure the only way they can glean anything from Sudfeld is, MAYBE, the types of plays Gruden likes to run. Keep in mind McVay was the OC last season. The Eagles might want to see if Sudfeld knows what plays and formations Gruden would prefer as opposed to McVay.

Though I don't think Sudfeld could tell them much, since I don't believe Gruden has called a real game since Sudfeld was there.

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So did Sudfeld burn a bridge falling for the Eagles okie doke?  If/when he gets cut, do we try and get him back?

I guess if the Eagles were offering more money, as some have said, then he didn't burn the bridge between him and Washington because they would understand him going after the bigger payday. 

Whether they would want him back, well, depends on if they prefer him over the guy they just signed to the PS. And if they trust Sudfeld anymore. :) 

Here is an article about Sudfeld from Iggle Land (and a few quotes from him, too):

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-bob-ford-nate-sudfeld-quarterback-or-playbook-spy-20170904.html 

A quote from Sudfeld about being cut from the Redskins:

“It’s a weird situation for me. I’m still trying to get used to it,” Sudfeld said. “They said [being cut] was no indictment of me. They said they had needs on defense, whatever that means. It’s a crazy league. Who knows how it will shake out in a year or 10 years.”

46 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I guess if the Eagles were offering more money, as some have said, then he didn't burn the bridge between him and Washington because they would understand him going after the bigger payday. 

Whether they would want him back, well, depends on if they prefer him over the guy they just signed to the PS. And if they trust Sudfeld anymore. :) 

Nike Foles being hurt was why he got the big payout. So why not take the job and have a chance to be the backup and not just a practice guy. 

"Foles has been dealing with elbow soreness since early in training camp. He missed nearly a month of practice and two preseason games before looking ready to return to action. But then Foles’ elbow acted up again last week which prevented him from practicing on Tuesday and playing on Thursday.

Doug Pederson doesn’t seem concerned with Foles’ injury. He said the backup quarterback will be ready to play (if needed, which hopefully isn’t the case) in Week 1. That doesn’t mean Foles will be magically healed by then, though. Pederson basically admitted Foles’ elbow pain is something the quarterback will just have to deal with."

29 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Here is an article about Sudfeld from Iggle Land (and a few quotes from him, too):

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-bob-ford-nate-sudfeld-quarterback-or-playbook-spy-20170904.html 

A quote from Sudfeld about being cut from the Redskins:

"Whatever that means"?  Was he unfamiliar with the putridness of our defense?

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think he's referring more towards how the needs on defense supersede the need for him as a player. "We totally think you're not bad, but we don't think you'd make 53rd place on our list of most valuable players" isn't very convincing either.

For criticizing him and saying he's an awful QB through the first 3 preseason games, there sure is a lot of complaining that he left the team for a better opportunity. End of the day, we don't need him and he wasn't worth the roster spot. Where he goes is his concern.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

No.  He thought the defense was good because he couldn't move the ball against them in practice. :ols:

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, Ashburn Dave said:

Love his size but never thought he would be starter material.  Other than his size nothing has wowed me that I've seen since he's been with us.

And that's the rub with QBs.  Scouts/teams fall in love with size and arm strength, but forget to measure the "It" factor that a QB must have.  He was just a guy.  We took a flyer on him.  He'll be a career journeyman because he's 6-7 and some team will always think they can "turn him into the next greatest QB." 

On 9/4/2017 at 3:42 PM, goskins10 said:

Looks like the PS league minimum is $7650/gm - $122,400/yr. My guess Philly is paying Suds $20k/gm or $320,000/yr. He made I believe $465k last year. Redskins must have not been willing to keep him at that salary. Again, not really worried about this at all. I think people are making a bit too much out of nothing.

The way the salary cap works is that the cap number is only the top 51 contracts on the roster. Currently here's what that looks like for Washington. You can see the 'cut off' contract is Joshua Holsey at $485,239. 

I'd add even if he was something like $700K it would be difference between him and Holsey, so only a ~$215K increase.

In short, he wasn't cut because of money. The team decided to go with 2 QBs (like most teams did) and they maybe were hoping to land him on the PS, but Philadelphia either moved first or offered to pay him more. 

Anyway, the disturbing part of that signing is that Nate has been on the team when they prepared twice for the Eagles. Those were both wins, so essentially he would probably be an open book to his new employer how his former team would prepare for them. 

23 minutes ago, Unbias said:

The way the salary cap works is that the cap number is only the top 51 contracts on the roster. Currently here's what that looks like for Washington. You can see the 'cut off' contract is Joshua Holsey at $485,239. 

I'd add even if he was something like $700K it would be difference between him and Holsey, so only a ~$215K increase.

In short, he wasn't cut because of money. The team decided to go with 2 QBs (like most teams did) and they maybe were hoping to land him on the PS, but Philadelphia either moved first or offered to pay him more. 

Anyway, the disturbing part of that signing is that Nate has been on the team when they prepared twice for the Eagles. Those were both wins, so essentially he would probably be an open book to his new employer how his former team would prepare for them. 

What you are referring to is the rule of 51 which only applies to the off season. Once the season starts all salaries count - including injured players. The rule of 51 is what allows teams to have 90 players in camp.

My point had nothing to do with the CAP which is why I did not mention it. To that end, I never said he was "cut" for money. He was cut because he is not very good and they did not want to pay the NFL minimum for a full time player on the 53 man roster. They do not believe he is worth it (and I agree). They wanted that roster spot for someone else. That is different than saving CAP space - which at those numbers is a non-issue.

Now you get to the PS rules. They were willing to bring him back to the PS to let him continue to develop. It appears the Eagles were willing to pay him $320k (or $20k/gm) to be on their PS, which is $200k more than the PS minimum. The Redskins by all reports offered him less than $20k/gm so he went to the Eagles. I don't blame him but I am not mourning his loss either.

And I will say this one more time. People are blowing this "he knows our system" thing completely out of proportion. It's not like the teams are a secret. If the Eagles cannot look at the film and see we what we did to beat them the last 5 times, what in the world is Nate going to tell them? Sorry, but that's a total non-issue as far as I can see.

I liked the kid out of college. He was really raw but has some physical skill athleticism. But in the end he is just not that good. Redskins made the decision to go with 2 QBs instead of 3 - good call. He took the higher offer for the PS. Good call.

This is such a non-issue all the way around. Not saying you @Unbias, but in general the obsession over a 6th rd project QB is crazy. The guy is not that good and he is gone. Time to move on.

Archived