Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana

PCS

22 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

And his team was as bad as who? 

Rodgers took over in '08. The following year kicked off a run of 8 straight playoff years that included 3 NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl tile. In those 8 seasons they had a top ten defense exactly once, most every other year their defense was in the bottom half.  They have never had a dominant run game either.   By any definition they have been consistent winners and the reason for that is their great QB Aaron Rodgers.  So your claim that teams that rely on great QBs don't win long term is just not true.  Great QBs are by far the biggest factor in long term success.

38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Rodgers took over in '08. The following year kicked off a run of 8 straight playoff years that included 3 NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl tile. In those 8 seasons they had a top ten defense exactly once, most every other year their defense was in the bottom half.  They have never had a dominant run game either.   By any definition they have been consistent winners and the reason for that is their great QB Aaron Rodgers.  So your claim that teams that rely on great QBs don't win long term is just not true.  Great QBs are by far the biggest factor in long term success.

Historically, teams with a great QB and little else get close to the mountain top, but fail ultimately. I'm thinking of the Marinos and the Elways (before he got a running game). I think Rodgers has also suffered from not having enough support. There are quite a few great QBs who propelled their teams to the playoffs, but couldn't do enough by themselves to get the ring. A better defense for Rodgers puts him in a few more Superbowls and probably gets him a few more rings. A good running game would help too.

In a weird way, the glory year Gibbs' teams were the ultimate example of team over QB. Gibbs teams routinely beat the super star teams and got to the Superbowl four times without a premier QB and outside of an aging Riggo without a premier running back. The whole was better than the parts. I think that's still true to a degree. A great QB puts you in the conversation, but even a great QB usually needs a very good team with him if the goal is to win it all.

23 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

McCoy can be dumped to keep this kid if they only keep 2. If Cousins goes down we are in the tank anyways so I would rather see what he has then to watch Noodle Arm do his thing.

Sud's arm looked pretty weak in the last game..ball took forever to get to the receiver on simple outs. THAT surprised me and changed my mind about him

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Historically, teams with a great QB and little else get close to the mountain top, but fail ultimately. I'm thinking of the Marinos and the Elways (before he got a running game). I think Rodgers has also suffered from not having enough support. There are quite a few great QBs who propelled their teams to the playoffs, but couldn't do enough by themselves to get the ring. A better defense for Rodgers puts him in a few more Superbowls and probably gets him a few more rings. A good running game would help too.

In a weird way, the glory year Gibbs' teams were the ultimate example of team over QB. Gibbs teams routinely beat the super star teams and got to the Superbowl four times without a premier QB and outside of an aging Riggo without a premier running back. The whole was better than the parts. I think that's still true to a degree. A great QB puts you in the conversation, but even a great QB usually needs a very good team with him if the goal is to win it all.

True but we also need to understand just how difficult it is to win it all.   The Pat have come into the season on the short list of favorites every year for a generation and fail to win it far more often than they won titles.  It's just damned hard to win the Super Bowl.  The truth is a top QB can in fact make an average team consistent winners virtually all by himself as the Packers of the last 8 years have shown.  And as competitive as this league is 8 straight playoff appearances, 3 NFC Championship Games and a title in 8 years is clearly the sign of a consistent winner.  And Aaron Rodgers is mostly responsible for that resume.   

12 minutes ago, scruffylookin said:

I'm shocked Sudfeld is still out there. I mean our very qualified and not hired because he once played for us for a very brief time General Manager said that Sudfeld is a first round talent. 

Whats he doing being still available?

I don't believe that he specified the NFL draft.

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I disagree, and would say that overall the team was not horrible. Also Rodgers is just one of those guys, and an exception to the rule so to speak. NFL history supports my belief more than yours. And they may win some but domination is another story. 

Sudfeld was not retained because he simply is not an NFL QB.  I still can't believe his name was brought up as a possible replacement in the Kirk contract talks.  I still never get how fans overreact to players in preseason wearing their team's colors.  Seen it for decades and it sill amazes me. 

5 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I disagree, and would say that overall the team was not horrible. Also Rodgers is just one of those guys, and an exception to the rule so to speak. NFL history supports my belief more than yours. And they may win some but domination is another story. 

No it doesn't. Go back and look at the teams that have "dominated" and show me one that didn't have a top QB.   By the way just how many teams have dominated anyway? 

I started this Rodgers conversation  by using him as as example of how an average team can win consistenty with a great QB. By every measuring stick I can think of Green Bay has been average over the last 8 years with the exception of the QB.   I was challenged (not by you) and showed the numbers to prove GB has been consistent winners since Rodgers took over .  It has kind of morphed when you go into it into more than just Rodgers but see my first paragraph.  Unless I'm missing your point. 

33 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Sudfeld was not retained because he simply is not an NFL QB.  I still can't believe his name was brought up as a possible replacement in the Kirk contract talks.  I still never get how fans overreact to players in preseason wearing their team's colors.  Seen it for decades and it sill amazes me. 

No it doesn't. Go back and look at the teams that have "dominated" and show me one that didn't have a top QB.   By the way just how many teams have dominated anyway? 

I started this Rodgers conversation  by using him as as example of how an average team can win consistenty with a great QB. By every measuring stick I can think of Green Bay has been average over the last 8 years with the exception of the QB.   I was challenged (not by you) and showed the numbers to prove GB has been consistent winners since Rodgers took over .  It has kind of morphed when you go into it into more than just Rodgers but see my first paragraph.  Unless I'm missing your point. 

Joe Flacco not elite IMO. Trent Dilfer got a ring there. They had a great team there. Jim McMahon not a great QB. 

Though I am not as far off thinking on your point as you think I am. I know the QB is very valuable, I just think of guys like Fran Tarkenton, Dree Brees, Dan Marino, Archie Manning, plenty of purely dominate QB's of their time that didn't have teams to take them all the way. 

4 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Though I am not as far off thinking on your point as you think I am. I know the QB is very valuable, I just think of guys like Fran Tarkenton, Dree Brees, Dan Marino, Archie Manning, plenty of purely dominate QB's of their time that didn't have teams to take them all the way. 

Drew Brees?

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo 20m20 minutes ago

•  

After losing QB Nate Sudfeld to the Eagles, the Redskins are signing QB Alex Torgersen, who was with the Falcons in camp.

Mike GarafoloVerified account @MikeGarafolo 19m19 minutes ag

• ...to the practice squad. They attempted to sign Sudfeld to the practice squad but he went to Philly instead

5 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Joe Flacco not elite IMO. Trent Dilfer got a ring there. They had a great team there. Jim McMahon not a great QB. 

I guess my point is having a top QB guarantees you nothing, as you said lots of top ones never won a ring. But I think winning a ring is a pretty high bar to set and as I have shown with Aaron Rodgers the idea that a top QB can not take a an average team and win consistently is nonsense.  Guys like Trent Dilfer are the QBs who don't win consistently.  .  Sure Dilfer won one but he is by far the exception. If you look at all the SB winners the names Montana and Brady outnumber the names like Dilfer and Rypien like 10 to 1. Considering there are only a handful of top QBs in the league at any given time that's a pretty telling stat. 

So if I my understanding is correct, he had the opportunity to choose to be on the Skins practice squad or the Eagles and he chose the Eagles.  With Cousins up in the air for next year and with the back up being Colt McCoy, not exactly going to scare anyone, and the fact that he has been in this system for how ever many years, to me that is a pretty strong statement  on the system, the team, and the coaching staff and I don't mean in a positive way.  

Archived