Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana

PCS

59 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Where are you getting this from? QB is probably the position that sees the absolute least player movement throughout an NFL season. A QB is more useless than almost any other position without already knowing the offense and having a rapport with his surrounding cast. Nobody is stealing a 6th round rookie off of a PS in week 9 or something because they have an injury at QB. They are shifting all of their own guys up a spot on the depth chart (including their own potential PS QB) and checking their Rolodex for the FA QB's they've already worked out and had in the building within the last year, and gotten a feel for. Because they want vets if they're in dire need of a QB for emergency purposes, not raw projects. 

The one risky time would be when he'd need to be cut to get onto our PS. And as I explained in an earlier post, I don't see that as being likely either.

Chase Daniels that's one. UDFA by Washington placed on PS taken by NO.

The Skins will not go without 3 QB's. They just don't, it's not what they do. It may not be Nate but there will be a third.

2 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

And Chase Daniels has been a journeyman backup his whole career. Hasn't done jack.

Very true. My point was that QB's do get taken from the PS. Maybe a good thing in the long run in this case - considering he just got $21M over 3 years with $12M guaranteed. But that is the Eagles. He did make $10M for 3 years with the Chiefs. He's a guy with under 80 attempts and has been making over $100,000 per pass. So no, he has not done jack (agreed) but he definitely has collected jack. I don't begrudge him by any means, if teams will employ him at that rate - good for him.

Nice counter Mr Bass. 

The thing about Chase, I don't think anyone here feared Chase being taken.

Heh - Chase got taken - meh he was short anyways.  Versus  Oh snap, we lost our QB development project we invested all that time in - and he will sell the playbook on ebay! Why did we risk him!?

I think most were in  minor disbelief that Chase got taken, but could care less. Maybe we can dig up that old thread to see. I think the point is, the rare time a guy gets snatched, no one sees it coming.

I think its human nature to value our own prospects and draft picks more than other teams. We can't risk Sudsie!

Well, one thing that we can say with confidence nowadays is that our roster-building process is finally a team-building process. It's good to see our front office taking this approach. This is a real cause for optimism moving forward. Let's just hope all those guys stay healthy or recover fully from whatever injuries they've already incurred. Hail!

IMO, the only reason fans should be upset/worried that Nate would be taken off the PS (or picked up if the Skins tried to get him to the PS) is that GMSM's plan for the QB situation (IMO again) is to phase out McCoy as soon as possible (maybe next year) and replace him with a QB on a rookie contract...which would clear a little more $$ for free agents and/or extensions to current players.

I think some of you are really over-hyping his preseason.  I thought he looked good against Atlanta.  I thought he looked below average against the Jets.  He started really slow against the Jets and looked confused and uncomfortable.  He made some throws at the end when he had to, but he has a LONG way to go in his development before we can consider him anywhere near backup material.  I don't think his first 2 preseason games have other teams salivating to bring him on their roster.  I am confident we can cut him and bring him back on the practice squad.  He's really RAW right now.  I can see it and I'm not a coach.  He has some good upside, but that is at least 3 years from now. Let's not crown him the next Colt Brennan. Semma down now. Semma down.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Arm and size. If he can show quick decision making, perhaps DW will call him a "top 15 QB" lol

You need a quick release along with that.  There have been a ton of tall QB's with a strong arm that have slow windups, and they never do anything.  Byron Leftwich is a good example.  Windows would close by the time Leftwich released the ball.  Sudfeld's release isn't that slow thankfully, it seems to be average.  This is something I want to look at this pre-season in regards to Sudfeld.

A unifying quality from some of the recent elite QB's has been a lightning quick release.  Tom Brady and Peyton shared that.   Kirk Cousins also has a really quick release.  You can win a Super Bowl with average releases (Big Ben), but it's hard to be consistently great without the quick release that can take advantage of a LB being briefly out of position.

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You need a quick release along with that.  There have been a ton of tall QB's with a strong arm that have slow windups, and they never do anything.  Byron Leftwich is a good example.  Windows would close by the time Leftwich released the ball.  Sudfeld's release isn't that slow thankfully, it seems to be average.  This is something I want to look at this pre-season in regards to Sudfeld.

A unifying quality from some of the recent elite QB's has been a lightning quick release.  Tom Brady and Peyton shared that.   Kirk Cousins also has a really quick release.  You can win a Super Bowl with average releases (Big Ben), but it's hard to be consistently great without the quick release that can take advantage of a LB being briefly out of position.

The only times Ben's release time is average  is when he drop the ball below shoulder/chest high in his windup.  When he keeps the ball up, his release time (from decision to release) is top ten speed, I think. Watch for the ones when he keeps the ball up.  I noticed his speed when they played us last year.

:229:The Rook

What are Sudfeld's strengths and weaknesses so far?  He has size, and lacks experience. That is probably all I know.

I do know Jay must like his potential, in part since we didn't draft a QB this year. I actually thought with the Kirk uncertainty, that a QB may well be drafted.

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I love that this thread just got bumped for no reason. :ols: jesus people. 

I think we can credit Bruce for that.

The Cousins thread is closing in on unreadable. I think discussion on Sudfeld if even a bump vs a new thread, should be welcomed. What else is there to do, but stare at the clock.

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

They must really like Sudfeld, otherwise they could have drafted Nate Peterman in the 5th round, instead of Sprinkle.

I agree. I figured in the draft, that they would have to show their hand on Cousins and Sudfeld, in one fell swoop.  It is more a statement about Sudfeld - by not taking someone in a later round, which is clear competition for Nate.

Conversely, the modern day era OC has shown they are willing to finally cater their playbooks to rookie QBs, and it lead to wins and even playoffs. So we didn't have to take someone this draft as insurance for Cousins bolting to greener $$$ grasses.

I am excited to see him light it up in preseason and start our next controversy (joking). I do wonder if Nate will be the next game starter, or if he is firmly entrenched as a 3 no matter the situation. I like McCoy to be the game day backup; always get Nate a week of work before any action.

The Great Nate STudfeld don't need a cult. Hes got the Nate- tions Capital! 

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Meh....

To much possiblilty we get another player named Nate.  Colt was a more unique name.  I think you would have to use his last name.

Suckin' Suds?

Archived