Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Nate Sudfeld QB Indiana

PCS

My hope is that he shows just enough that he's safe to stash on the Practice Squad, but not enough that another team would grab him. Having your third QB on dial up, but not taking up an official roster space seems ideal to me.

Sudfeld is going to learn how to play under center, call plays in the huddle, call audible and protections things the come in from the sidelines in Indiana's spread attack so lots of substantial hurdles ahead of him but I really like this pick.  I think the kid will be able to learn these things over the next couple of seasons and at the very least become a backup in the league but I won't be surprised if he develops into a starter somewhere.

Big kid and definitely a project, but a worthwhile one.  Guy is basically the size of Big Ben.  Not able to truly reach his potential in college.  Give him a chance to grow here.  If he becomes a decent backup, solid, we'll need a new Colt somewhere in the future.  If he becomes more than a backup, great, instant trade bait and/or a compensatory pick.  If none of that pans out...heck, see if he can convert to TE.  6'6", 234, runs a 4.9?  Could work, maybe.

I think McCoy is a pretty decent backup to Cousins, so we have at least a couple of seasons to work with a young QB like Sudfeld. Aside from my bias because I wanted him drafted, he does appear to have a solid enough base foundation to build on. Should be interesting to watch his development under Jay and the coaching staff.

He would be the latest QB we've picked before Sudfield, but I generally think of second day picks as being mid-round players instead the late rounders.

#SulkforSud

But he was a 4th rounder and at least this year, the 4th round is day 3. Don't remeber what it was that year.

But he was a 4th rounder and at least this year, the 4th round is day 3. Don't remeber what it was that year.

Oh. Yeah....... Never mind, you're right. For some reason I feel like he was from the second day, but 4th has always been day three for as long as I've watched. My mistake.

I think McCoy is a pretty decent backup to Cousins ... 

I think Nate will get some serious playing time in the pre-season.

I'd like to see him light it up and start some buzz ... enough to consider releasing McCoy.  

My 2 cents.

I think Nate will get some serious playing time in the pre-season.

I'd like to see him light it up and start some buzz ... enough to consider releasing McCoy.  

My 2 cents.

Looks like you're going for Charter Membership in Sudfeld's Swarm.  

I like McCoy, glad he re-signed but camp competition only makes everyone better.

During the 2014 season there were opinions voiced around here that ferociously denounced Gruden for making our QBs worse.  That their development was regressing because of his coaching incompetence.  

2015 results proved those opinions were in error.   Suds should feel real good about coaching staff he's about to work with.  

velocet

Oh. Yeah....... Never mind, you're right. For some reason I feel like he was from the second day, but 4th has always been day three for as long as I've watched. My mistake.

I was just to lazy to look up what day it was on.  I would say though, if you ignore what days they happen on and just look at it logically, I would say rounds 1 and 2 are "early" rounds.  3,4,5 are "mid" rounds.  6 and 7 are "late" rounds.  Either way, I don't know anything about the guy other than what I have read since we drafted him.  I am optimistic though about the players we got in those "mid" and "late" rounds and really hope they pay off.

McCoy isn't going anywhere in 2016, a decent vet backup is needed and his contract makes it clear that they want him here.

Being able to work with a rookie #3 behind our existing 2 vets is a nice position to be in.

Not a fan of carrying 3 QBs on 53 man roster.

Sudfeld is real deal ... Skins must protect him.

McCoy is expendable IMO ... if not sooner ... then later.

Not a fan of carrying 3 QBs on 53 man roster.

Sudfeld is real deal ... Skins must protect him.

McCoy is expendable IMO ... if not sooner ... then later.

I don't think we carry 3, but there is no way Sudfield makes the 53. He will be stashed on the PS and he'll be safe there. No one is going to pick him up, because they will have to put him on the 53. Even if a QB goes down, they will look for a vet, not a rookie on another teams PS to fill that void.

I don't think we carry 3, but there is no way Sudfield makes the 53. He will be stashed on the PS and he'll be safe there. No one is going to pick him up, because they will have to put him on the 53. Even if a QB goes down, they will look for a vet, not a rookie on another teams PS to fill that void.

I concur for this year.  There is a reason he went so late.  But after a year on the PS and teams get to see a little more of him, then you have to worry.  Hopefully next year he will be ready to step into McCoy's spot.

I concur for this year.  There is a reason he went so late.  But after a year on the PS and teams get to see a little more of him, then you have to worry.  Hopefully next year he will be ready to step into McCoy's spot.

I'm hoping in 2 years he can be the guy. Accuracy was not great, only 60% in college, which doesn't bode all that well. But he didn't have all that much to work with, so we'll see.

Was he BPA, or was this pick a position of need?

I thought we got our DL in the previous round??  

I kid, I joke, This post is not to be taken seriously. The guy is huge.

Joking aside, I do think this pick reflects need.

Many of us mavens had Nate rated high on the list of "developmental"  QB candidates this year.

Something like 14-16 QBs were drafted.  Normal year is half that.

My gut is that Sudfeld "opens more eyes" in pre-season throwing to the likes of Ross, Harris and Diggs ... and suddenly we have a mini-QB controversy on our hands. 

Was he BPA, or was this pick a position of need?

I thought we got our DL in the previous round??  

I kid, I joke, This post is not to be taken seriously. The guy is huge.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. At 29 Colt is what he is. I'm not gonna lie and say I thought this guys was BPA considering he is a developmental pick, but Gruden loves his young QB's.

Many of us mavens had Nate rated high on the list of "developmental"  QB candidates this year.

Something like 14-16 QBs were drafted.  Normal year is half that.

My gut is that Sudfeld "opens more eyes" in pre-season throwing to the likes of Ross, Harris and Diggs ... and suddenly we have a mini-QB controversy on our hands. 

I'm not sure about all that just yet. But I like what I'm hearing about Diggs and like what I saw in Harris. And it would be nice to have Colt pushed. I like those kinds of problems.

• 3 months later...

When I saw him play MD last year, I said this kid looks like the next Big Ben.  I was so happy that Scotty got him and can't wait to see him play tonight.  I think teams are going to be beating down the Skins door to make a play for him over the next couple of years.

5 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

When I saw him play MD last year, I said this kid looks like the next Big Ben.  I was so happy that Scotty got him and can't wait to see him play tonight.  I think teams are going to be beating down the Skins door to make a play for him over the next couple of years.

That's probably an insult to Big Ben.  I'm looking forward to see how he handles himself.

Archived