Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McLoughan's big decision: what kind of team identity do we want?

Warhead36

If Dallas can hit on it, then Scot can (if that center exists).

It's definitely possible.  There are two centers that are projected 2 round picks from the very limited research I've been able to do.  We pick pretty late in the first round, so if one of them is high on Scots list, then yeah, anything is possible.  

I still think we go DT or DE in the first though.  We can't bank long term on some of those guys.  

Here's the weird thing with Alf. That first game, I thought he looked the best of any of our RBs almost all season. He looked legit. And then the wheels came off. It was just really odd.

You're not wrong. What I'm puzzled about is why the vast majority here are pinning the terrible run game on the RB's. From what I saw, the OL was simple terrible in run blocking. No push at all, few holes and giving up penetration consistently. I'd give the OL a F for a run blocking grade. I think if you fix this Alf runs for over 1000 yards, splitting time with Jones who I really like. When I saw GB (who does not have a great OL) knocking our DL a couple yards off the ball and then watching our OL give up penetration and get stood up consistently, I really don't care who you put back there. They are gonna suck. I though play calling was bad too. The one play that seem to give consistent positive yards was the toss sweep. Which was rarely called.

Basically when Lauvao went down, it crippled the run game.

If we shore up the OL, the run game will take care of itself because I think we already have the horses to be very good.

• 3 months later...

From my post in the FA thread... which you clearly ripped off :lol:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/395547-the-2016-free-agency-thread-back-to-the-lab-doworkscot-wepaid-capspace-momsspaghetti/page-10

EDIT:  But to answer your questions - if we go on to be a "offensive juggernaut" type team, we'll need a legit running back, at least 1 more legit linemen, and a premier safety.  Premier safety is the key, because he will for you to hold the ball just a bit longer.

I think we can get by at pass rusher for now if Gallette is healthy with 91 and 94. 

We'd also need some youth at interior defensive line to get some push.

My apologies to Burgold, this thread was ripped off by Warhead... you dirty rat. 

Anywho, an appropriate time for a bump since we're post draft.

I still think, how we are presently constructed, that this is going to be a team that scores a lot of points on offense, and is built to hold a lead on defense. 

That's to say, our secondary will be strong, and we'll have a lot of pass rushers.

You'll be able to run the ball a little bit on us, but this team will be at it's best when we have a lead and you're forced to throw the ball.

Man, I can't wait.

Listening to Panthers GM Dave Gettleman was on Sirius talking about his draft this morning.  The part that I wanted to mention was his explanation for why his veterans in the locker room won't be upset over letting Josh go.

i_img_photo_2016_0202_r50020_1296x729_16

He talked about how he is different from other GMs because he actually goes in the locker room and gets to know his players and their lives, their wives, and family.  He claims that he spoke with his veterans to make sure they were on board with the decision and that they knew how tough it was for him.   

I bring this up because we now have Josh Norman, but also because we have one of those kinda GMs.  Dave Gettleman came off as a football minded guy that understood how to build a TEAM out of individuals.  That's what we have going now, and I believe it's why Josh felt comfortable coming here.  Scot is building the same type of a team.

It's going to be hard one day to watch talented guys leave our roster the way Josh left the Panthers, but it will happen.  Scot is going to load us up with great guys that we love to cheer our hearts out for, so many that we will have to watch some walk away with good football years left.  

His relationships in the locker room with allow the team to continue building a team without the bitterness we used to constantly hear coming from our unnamed source players, and former players with a vengeance.  One example is Breeland saying he understood Scot paying Josh Norman that money because he saw it as a Chess move for Scot.  

“Exactly,” Breeland said. “Me being, to show you my maturity, I see the schematic point of it, the chess move of the situation, other than there being any envy or anything towards the situation. … I can learn from him just as well as he can learn from me. We’re trying to build a family here.”

On Sunday evening, Breeland, who also called Norman’s signing “a big chess move that could put us where we need to be at as a team,” reiterated on Twitter that he’s happy to now call Norman a teammate.

How would this have gone in the past with no real GM?  This is Scot's work as much as picking players or scouting free agents.  It's why he sees the person more than the on field talent alone, he knows he's bringing the player into HIS locker room.  It's not just the room in the building where the players get ready.

We will not draft a WR with the #21 pick. We are good at LT, RG and RT. We could use a LG or C, and it's possible that we could snag one late in the first round (guard not center).

Based on Scot's previous tendencies in the drafts he has been involved in (with SF and SEA), yes I know Schneider is the GM, but Scot was a big part of those drafts and philosophies., I predict he will go either DT or DE in the first round. Possibly in the second round too, though he could go guard in the second.

Basically, I think we will be building the trenches first and adding the best depth available in the later round picks. We don't need a WR and if he does take one, which I don't think he will considering he took Crowder late (4th round) and brought up Ross and there is still Grant, it would be in late rounds. And lets not forget that our starters are DJax and Garcon, so I don't see any need drafting another WR for depth. Most likely that would come in FA or signing an

Can't pass up the best WR in the draft, if he is in fact that high on your board, just to reach for a need like DL if guys left available are lower on your board. Scot McCloughan is the man.

Instead of a singular, particular style I think the identity The Scot wants the Redskins to possess is one of versatility.  He likes hard working, self-motivated, play-making players who can all be every down players.  Offenses and defenses are so multiple now.  Not just at the Pro level but even in High School and College.  You have to be in order to survive.

I think Michigan State showed why you can't specialize any more.  Vs Alabama they came in clearly wanting to beat them with power and play action on offense.  When the game got out of hand they didn't have a plan for getting back into the game with the passing game. 

On defense, you can't be that team that blitzes every down.  Because some teams will make you pay.  (Can't wait to see the jump balls Doctson hauls in vs cover zero blitzes).  If you're just a zone team that is bend but don't break then a good running team can just run it down your throats - see Greenbay vs our defense last year in the playoffs.

So, I really like what The Scot and the coaches are doing.  Get players who have a variety of abilities.  Then you can not only adjust quickly to your opponent but you can also be unpredictable.  The more you have to prepare for in game planning then the more opportunities you have for mistakes.  Consequently, if your team is smart and versatile then they'll be able to counter what their opponent will throw at them with better effectiveness.

I witnessed the rising of a dynasty under Gibbs and Beathard.  They too were smart, hard-working, and very adaptable.  I believe we are on the cusp of seeing the next dynasty.  I'm so glad for my sons and daughters who have been wandering for far too long in the wilderness of mediocrity! 

Scot's changed his tune a bit lately. Not in what he wants in players, but you'll notice that ever since Cousins balled out he's put more emphasis on the importance of the passing game in today's NFL, the importance of having a franchise QB and how the best teams have them...He's started emphasizing putting up points and stopping the pass this off season in his interviews and pressers.

Is it possible that without a solution at QB he wanted to first get competitive in the old school, make you fight for every inch, build respectability, pound the ball type of mold? But now that Cousins and Gruden (who has a natural tendency toward favoring the passing game anyways) have clicked big time, and we'll have to pay big bucks to Cousins, maybe he's seeing that we might be best off winning games like most of the top teams of the decade have?

Idk, just some thoughts. But our draft seems to signal that we're building this team to win passing contests, on both sides of the ball.

Maybe he's thinking..."why force the issue when I've already got the Cousins/WCO marriage, playmakers at the receiving positions, and an OL that is better at pass blocking than run blocking?"

And then of course Norman, Doctson, Cravens, and Fuller all just fell into our lap, potentially making it more appealing.

I'm not saying that Scot wants to win games 42-30 all the time or anything. He still clearly wants a smash mouth, tough team.

I've just noticed that the emphasis has shifted towards talking more about the QB, the passing game, etc. now that we seem to have a QB all of a sudden. The man is adaptable, so it wouldn't be surprising.

It does seem like we have embraced the type of team identity that the talent on the roster supports. I can't express how happy that makes me after 'square peg round holing' my entire life as a fan or blowing resources to try to find your identity.

We haven't reached for need either in FA or the draft, we've seemed to let it come to us and find value and the best players possible and are adjusting to match what we end up with.

That appears to be a team that can pass the ball with the best of them and get after the QB with a very good secondary behind that rush.

Sure, if we don't put up points we will likely have trouble stopping the run and running the ball. That's our flaw. What team doesn't have flaws? We have a more talented roster than some people believe as far as where our talent stacks up and what we can do with it. It fits together pretty well.

If Cousins balls, look out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm such a huge fan of this topic.  And a great piece by Chris Russell about some of the quotes from rookie camp and what his interpretation of them were:

https://www.dchotread.com/2016/05/16/what-they-said-what-i-heard

"What They Said/What I heard"

Su’a Cravens: “I’m used to being a perfectionist,” Cravens told reporters including DCHotRead.com at his locker. “Getting an NFL playbook and learning 12 plays in three hours isn’t exactly ideal for me. “

My Spin: Cravens is going to be an incredibly versatile weapon for Joe Barry’s defense. It doesn’t really matter what position he’s in, but what I liked about what he said during a longer media session was along the same lines at the quote above.

Cravens illustrated this by revealing that Preston Smith has been helping him and counseling him, because Smith went through some growing pains as a rookie last year.

“He (Smith) told me, it took me to the last four games of the season to play like I normally play and to play with confidence,” Cravens relayed to reporters about his conversations with the now second-year pass rusher. Cravens continued: “I (meaning Smith) didn’t know the playbook and I as hesitating and second guessing myself.” 

Nate Sudfeld: The sixth-round quarterback was up and down during Saturday’s practice session as you would expect, but it was interesting to hear him talk afterwards about a nice welcome he received from one of his new teammates, Kirk Cousins, after being drafted by Washington and his respect for Colt McCoy.

“Yeah they’ve been awesome,” Sudfeld told DCHotRead and other reporters. “First of all, when I got drafted, Kirk texted me within 20-30 minutes and welcomed me to Washington and obviously I always have had respect for Kirk, playing in the Big Ten, watching a lot of his film, watching his speech at media day. 

My Spin: While he was saying this and I was about 12 inches from him in the Redskins locker room, I couldn’t help but think how so many think how much things have changed in the organization in the last nine months or so. 

More at the link above.

We have dudes that want to get better, and incumbent players who want to make them better.  And I've really noticed this since about midway through last year and it's REALLY come to light since the season ended.

THAT is ****ing winning off the field, ladies and gents.

Team identity is passion for football and to do whatever it takes for the Redskins team to win.

A team of football players ... high character, tough competitors.  It’s about the Redskins team, battling each practice and game day.  A shared understanding that the 53 (+ 10 practice squad members) are going to take care of each other no matter what.  A team that will cultivate this culture primarily through adding players through the draft and CFAs.

Right now, the Redskins' identity would seem to be: Potent on offense, playmakers on defense, strong team atmosphere in the locker room.

Also interested to see how the new "confident" Jay Gruden plays.

So far reviews have been good.  "He stays talking **** on the practice field" but he's human in the film room.  I think that's exactly what you need out of a coach.  Kind of a spotter/personal trainer mentality where they push you physically but relax you when you're trying to learn the mental side of things.

........We have dudes that want to get better, and incumbent players who want to make them better.  And I've really noticed this since about midway through last year and it's REALLY come to light since the season ended.

This is an incredibly important aspect that that the team has ignored for years. You need a succession of players, 2nd yr Preston giving his opinions to the rooks, Trent passing on to Moses passing onto Scherff, Garcon giving advice to Doctson, the whole psychological cascade of players in all the different stages of their careers. Even the rooks observing it pays dividends, learning what it takes to be successful.

For..well hell, in football terms forever, we've churned the roster every season, coaches in n out, assts here n gone, players plucked off the wire and inserted as starters, there has been no mentoring, no counsel, no example to be set other than where the party's at this week and when to meet there. We've had solid, professional players marginalized by the partiers, and not a word was said. That is crippling, maybe even moreso than the excess bone in Cerrato's head. Terms like "attitude" and "atmosphere" get tossed around but those aren't extras or even options, they are core elements in a winning team.

For all that Scot has done so far this IMO is one of the greatest and most telling, he has quietly fostered a sense of pride in the organization, accountability with respect, open dialogue and responsible management of the people with it. The manner in which the players talk about each other, the comments made by the coaching staff (and maybe just as important the things not being said these days) are genuine signs of positive change.

When trying to improve the obvious thing is work on the areas where you are weak and try to bring them up to standard.  A counter intuitive but also good strategy is emphasis the things one is good at and try to make them great, I think that is course Scot chose this year with the Doctson pick.  Clearly this helps with the retention issues next year but I think he looked at his strong passing game and said if they add another key piece the passing attack could be dominant in 2016.  He spent a bunch of other picks on DBs to reinforce the air game strategy because he expects to be in air wars in 2016.

I think he'll revert to form and use top picks to bolster the OL and DL in 2017 but 2016 is going to an air show.

This is an incredibly important aspect that that the team has ignored for years. You need a succession of players, 2nd yr Preston giving his opinions to the rooks, Trent passing on to Moses passing onto Scherff, Garcon giving advice to Doctson, the whole psychological cascade of players in all the different stages of their careers. Even the rooks observing it pays dividends, learning what it takes to be successful.

For..well hell, in football terms forever, we've churned the roster every season, coaches in n out, assts here n gone, players plucked off the wire and inserted as starters, there has been no mentoring, no counsel, no example to be set other than where the party's at this week and when to meet there. We've had solid, professional players marginalized by the partiers, and not a word was said. That is crippling, maybe even moreso than the excess bone in Cerrato's head. Terms like "attitude" and "atmosphere" get tossed around but those aren't extras or even options, they are core elements in a winning team.

For all that Scot has done so far this IMO is one of the greatest and most telling, he has quietly fostered a sense of pride in the organization, accountability with respect, open dialogue and responsible management of the people with it. The manner in which the players talk about each other, the comments made by the coaching staff (and maybe just as important the things not being said these days) are genuine signs of positive change.

I agree with the first paragraph, but call bull**** on the 2nd one lol...

There has been mentoring going on over the years/decades on the Redskins, even from those players "plucked off the wire" and inserted mid-season. In terms of recent history, there have been numerous mentions of Santana mentoring younger WRs, Niles Paul said he was sad to see Cooley released because he took Paul under his wing to help mentor him on playing TE, you KNOW Fletcher and Hall provided guidance as well. Most locker rooms have players of all tenures talking to rookies the way the article quoted earlier describes, and the Skins have definitely had it over the years. It didn't start with Kyle Maclachlan--er, Scot McCloughan.

However, having as talented a GM as Scot running things means that we are drafting players who CAN be developed and thus stay with the team longer...which translates to that chain of guidance and mentoring being rooted in something much stronger than just experience.

Also interested to see how the new "confident" Jay Gruden plays.

So far reviews have been good.  "He stays talking **** on the practice field" but he's human in the film room.  I think that's exactly what you need out of a coach.  Kind of a spotter/personal trainer mentality where they push you physically but relax you when you're trying to learn the mental side of things.

I liked Gruden from the get-go, but I had some serious doubts after the first year. Thought a year under his belt and a true, serious GM to help him grow could do wonders...or at least I hoped it would, because I wanted him to succeed here.

Although I have zero idea if it actually DID do him wonders (lol), my confidence level in the new "confident" Jay Gruden is pretty damn high right now.

Instead of a singular, particular style I think the identity The Scot wants the Redskins to possess is one of versatility.  He likes hard working, self-motivated, play-making players who can all be every down players.  Offenses and defenses are so multiple now.  Not just at the Pro level but even in High School and College.  You have to be in order to survive.

I think Michigan State showed why you can't specialize any more.  Vs Alabama they came in clearly wanting to beat them with power and play action on offense.  When the game got out of hand they didn't have a plan for getting back into the game with the passing game. 

So, I really like what The Scot and the coaches are doing.  Get players who have a variety of abilities.  Then you can not only adjust quickly to your opponent but you can also be unpredictable.  The more you have to prepare for in game planning then the more opportunities you have for mistakes.  Consequently, if your team is smart and versatile then they'll be able to counter what their opponent will throw at them with better effectiveness.

The playoff game against the Packers highlighted that.  We faced a Veteran QB with supreme command of the huddle, audibles, etc and he made us pay through mismatched players.  They went to personnel packages where Knighton was off the field, and then ran down our throats.

We could've drafted a true NT, someone who might even be better than Knighton, but that wouldn't have fixed the issues the Packers showed us.

Our roster isn't finished.  We've got some questionmarks still.  But our teams identity and the types of guys we're trying to find are becoming pretty clear.  If you can't play all 3 downs and against a variety of personnel packages, some other team will value you more than we do.

Archived