Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McLoughan's big decision: what kind of team identity do we want?

Warhead36

I liked Gruden from the get-go, but I had some serious doubts after the first year. Thought a year under his belt and a true, serious GM to help him grow could do wonders...or at least I hoped it would, because I wanted him to succeed here.

Although I have zero idea if it actually DID do him wonders (lol), my confidence level in the new "confident" Jay Gruden is pretty damn high right now.

Yeah, I think at the end of that first season just about anything was on the table.

None of it looked like it tasted very good, either.

I think a good mix of veteran coaches and an identity have helped him out a lot.  When KDawg started with the "identity" stuff a couple of years ago he really hit the nail on the head for me.  I always seemed to overlook that.  We used to just buy expensive players and didn't know why it never worked out well, now we bring in guys for specific roles and they fulfill those roles or we find someone who can.

Amazing little detail that totally missed me.

I'm excited for him, too.  I'm hoping for some dynamite sound bites out of camp this summer.  Seems the defensive side of the ball is full of dudes who don't shy away from the mic (RJF, Cravens, Kerrigan, Norman, Junior)... can you imagine what'll happen when those nasty o-linemen and all those alpha receivers mix it up in Richmond?  :lol:

The playoff game against the Packers highlighted that.  We faced a Veteran QB with supreme command of the huddle, audibles, etc and he made us pay through mismatched players.  They went to personnel packages where Knighton was off the field, and then ran down our throats.

We could've drafted a true NT, someone who might even be better than Knighton, but that wouldn't have fixed the issues the Packers showed us.

Our roster isn't finished.  We've got some questionmarks still.  But our teams identity and the types of guys we're trying to find are becoming pretty clear.  If you can't play all 3 downs and against a variety of personnel packages, some other team will value you more than we do.

Meh, I don't think that Rodgers beat us as much as McCarthy beat us.  We were owning that game until they realized that we couldn't stop the run, Knighton or otherwise.

I do agree that our roster isn't finished, and I like that.  Could've found someone to play NT (who would you have drafted as a true NT, like a Wilfork or a Ngata?), but I don't think that there was THE guy at NT where we could get him.

The playoff game against the Packers highlighted that.  We faced a Veteran QB with supreme command of the huddle, audibles, etc and he made us pay through mismatched players.  They went to personnel packages where Knighton was off the field, and then ran down our throats.

We could've drafted a true NT, someone who might even be better than Knighton, but that wouldn't have fixed the issues the Packers showed us.

Our roster isn't finished.  We've got some questionmarks still.  But our teams identity and the types of guys we're trying to find are becoming pretty clear.  If you can't play all 3 downs and against a variety of personnel packages, some other team will value you more than we do.

They also trapped Knighton out there early in their hurry-up and basically gassed him for the game.

I agree with the first paragraph, but call bull**** on the 2nd one lol............................However, having as talented a GM as Scot running things means that we are drafting players who CAN be developed and thus stay with the team longer...which translates to that chain of guidance and mentoring being rooted in something much stronger than just experience.

Yeah, I hear you but it seems to have been largely individuals doing it, it has not been a systemic part of the lockerroom. That **** takes time and effort, it doesn't just "happen" over lunch. There has to be mutual respect, which takes time to build, and the turmoil central that we've been for so long wasn't very conducive to that. It takes most everyone "buying into" that part of the team and I can't say I've seen a whole helluva lot of that some years. Santana God luvvim had seasons where he gave up in disgust and went through the motions, Cooley is hardly the kinda guy I'd anoint as an example to look up to, probably make a fun neighbor but I'd hope for someone a lil more mature to step up for the rooks, etc.,

It only takes a couple guys to wreck the mood, one media darling that has the owner's ear, one vet too good to play STs, and the fragile atmosphere ends up smelling like ass.

Scot doesn't get (or even deserve) all the credit but we all know that Bruce or TheDan can't have done anything right so who else is there to laud? lol

But dammit doesn't it feel good to be talking about how much better things have gotten?

I think a good mix of veteran coaches and an identity have helped him out a lot.

very, VERY true...

I'm excited for him, too.  I'm hoping for some dynamite sound bites out of camp this summer.  Seems the defensive side of the ball is full of dudes who don't shy away from the mic (RJF, Cravens, Kerrigan, Norman, Junior)... can you imagine what'll happen when those nasty o-linemen and all those alpha receivers mix it up in Richmond?  :lol:

XxCqMiG.gif

Yeah, I hear you but it seems to have been largely individuals doing it, it has not been a systemic part of the lockerroom. That **** takes time and effort, it doesn't just "happen" over lunch. There has to be mutual respect, which takes time to build, and the turmoil central that we've been for so long wasn't very conducive to that. It takes most everyone "buying into" that part of the team and I can't say I've seen a whole helluva lot of that some years. Santana God luvvim had seasons where he gave up in disgust and went through the motions, Cooley is hardly the kinda guy I'd anoint as an example to look up to, probably make a fun neighbor but I'd hope for someone a lil more mature to step up for the rooks, etc.,

Again, agree with the first part of your post...except the Cooley part lol. He was an absolute master at finding the soft spot in zone coverage, and was a better blocker than Niles Paul was at the beginning. Plus he "bled burgundy and gold"...have zero problem with him imparting his knowledge on a 2nd year WR transitioning to TE, especially when that TE is in all likelihood being groomed to take his place. I mean, that's pretty damn selfless of him to do...

It only takes a couple guys to wreck the mood, one media darling that has the owner's ear, one vet too good to play STs, and the fragile atmosphere ends up smelling like ass.

If that's all it takes, then it will never succeed. Trust me, there will never be a team of 53 men where all of them are of the same mindset, will all sacrifice the same amount, will all view their roles and importance to the overall success in the same selfless manner. You actually want to hope the locker room can withstand a variety of personalities and egos, or at least have leaders on the team (including the head coach) who can keep things moving in the right direction no matter what.

But dammit doesn't it feel good to be talking about how much better things have gotten?

Good lort, does it ever lol...

Meh, I don't think that Rodgers beat us as much as McCarthy beat us.  We were owning that game until they realized that we couldn't stop the run, Knighton or otherwise.

I do agree that our roster isn't finished, and I like that.  Could've found someone to play NT (who would you have drafted as a true NT, like a Wilfork or a Ngata?), but I don't think that there was THE guy at NT where we could get him.

From what I've read (and bare in mind I was a HUGE Knighton guy, I wanted him back for sure) the urgency for a NT wasn't really there because we were only in the 3-4 for like 20% of the snaps last year.  And while Knighton may have had something to do with that, they thought is that a dude like Reyes, Baker and Ioanidis can handle that in shifts.

If that's all it takes, then it will never succeed. Trust me, there will never be a team of 53 men where all of them are of the same mindset, will all sacrifice the same amount, will all view their roles and importance to the overall success in the same selfless manner. You actually want to hope the locker room can withstand a variety of personalities and egos, or at least have leaders on the team (including the head coach) who can keep things moving in the right direction no matter what.

Nah, not everyone needs to be of the same mindset, there just needs to be no one who's blowing up the program.

Archived