Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Feel a Little Embarrassed...

Taylor 36

It actually was not as bad as it can be or has been. Packer fans do travel very well, and part of having a big stadium is that you will have a solid % of opposing fans.. as Morrison pointed out, the secondary market  websites make it easy to get tickets these days.

Our crowd was good, and they were in their seats early. I thought they did their part just fine.

~Bang

I'll lump steelers fans into this too.

I live in the Baltimore area and sometimes I think there are more Cowboys and Steelers fans than Ravens fans.

Yup

I remember 3 years ago when half their stadium was empty at the end of the year because they missed the playoffs

Steelers fans are the biggest joke in the NFL. They all want a medal or something

oh and they were giving out these playoff towels. we went in 40 minutes early and they were out.

the team did a good job getting everyone in there. I don't know what, out of the many things they did, were the main factors but the end result was that it worked.

by the way, if you for a second think our showing was bad, may i remind you of the 49er's game in Dallas not too long ago.

that was embarrassing.

I wasn't able to attend the game (I'm not a STH, I only get a chance to attend about 1 or 2 games a year unfortunately), which is why I was asking what others thought in my OP.  From TV, there appeared to be a lot of green and yellow, and the Kuhn calls were just as loud a clear as the Cooley calls that FedEx used to belt out a decade ago.  It was very hard from a television stand point to know.  I am glad to hear that the reality was much better than the TV would let one think. 

And, this isn't directed at you tshile, but to other fans that keep bringing up StubHub and other secondhand ticket sites, this wasn't a regular season game. It was a playoff game in our house, in very moderate weather.  If STH's don't sell their tickets, than Packers fans are limited to the 1,200 tickets allotted to the team and that's it.  Even living out of the area, if I was a STH, you can be damn sure that I would be in my seat at a home playoff game.

Don't be embarrassed. 

Washingtonian, DC is a Cosmopolitan  city and people from every part of the country and world live and work here, Govt, etc. . You're going to have fans from other teams living here. Playoff tickets are expensive and are available to anyone.  We didn't play the Packers this year at home and so many of their fans were going to jump at the chance to see them.  

I really don't like when people say a certain fanbase "travels well."  I think that's bunk.

Fans that show up in opposing stadiums are usually 90% transplants/bandwagoners and maybe 10% that travel.  Have you seen our away threads in here when we are on the road?  Barely anyone in here "travels."  Most fans in a certain areas are transplanted Redskin fans like myself.  I live right outside of Charlotte.  I usually see a few people in those threads that travel, but it's not like hundreds do.

And where the hell are Packer and Steeler fans getting all of this money to "travel"?  Their metropolitan areas aren't exactly 'silicon valley' rich.  The Steel/Coal industry has wained for years and Pittsburgh is still in the process of reinventing the city into a medical/financial base. I assume Milwaukee is still all about beer and cheese.

Puh-lease.  Just like Zoony said, most of the Packer fans today have been riding their coatails since Favre.  Steeler fans since the Cowher days.  Cowboy fans since the early 90s SBs and the Patriots from just the past 15 years.

And, this isn't directed at you tshile, but to other fans that keep bringing up StubHub and other secondhand ticket sites, this wasn't a regular season game. It was a playoff game in our house, in very moderate weather.  If STH's don't sell their tickets, than Packers fans are limited to the 1,200 tickets allotted to the team and that's it.  Even living out of the area, if I was a STH, you can be damn sure that I would be in my seat at a home playoff game.

I think this is less a reflection of our season ticket holders, and more of a reflection of the state of the franchise.

There are brokers that are season ticket holders. They get the seats for the sole purpose of reselling them.

Yes, there are season ticket holders who sold their tickets because at 2-4x face value you can make up some of the hefty expense of being a season ticket holder. There were a lot of us who saw this run as something fun that wouldn't go anywhere, so selling that ticket to get some money back makes sense.

Especially when you're blowing 20% of your season ticket expense on preseason games.

Plus it's a late sunday game which for some people is just too much of a hassle to go to. I know some people who just cannot make late games or games during the week,s o they always sell those. That will likely be me next year since we just had a kid - hard to make a sunday/monday/thursday night game. Plus work. I'm dying right now from being at that game all day coming home late and being up with my kid because he decided last night was play time until 2 am instead of sleep time.

Anyways, I don't think that is the result of crappy redskins fans. It's the result of an apathetic fanbase that, after 25 years, has decided being a season ticket holder to this team is a hassle and a joke. The result is that when we host a playoff game a lot of tickets end up on stub hub and not in the hands of our fans.

Again.. if you regularly attend games you'd probably agree with me that it's usually 25-40% opposing team fans. If the other team sucks, then the stadium is just empty. So to walk away feeling like only 10% of the stadium was opposing teams fans is, relatively speaking, pretty good.

If you hate it so much then buy season tickets.

Oh wait, that's right, everyone complaining about season ticket holders have all these reasons why they don't have season tickets; none of which preclude them from taking shots at the season ticket holders as they see fit.

(not directed at you, just the general conversation of people who don't go to the games or buy tickets telling the rest of us what we should and shouldn't do :) )

The place appeared to be rocking to me, before kickoff and particularly after that first TD by Desean that was called back and Reeds score.  I can't blame the crowd for piping down while they gutted our offense or for leaving early.  It felt like we never had the ball from the 2nd quarter on and I know I was defeated sitting at home.  They were definitely more amped for the 3rd quarter TD then I was at home.  My wife was looking at me like "Why aren't you going nuts?" and I just had to let her know that I knew what was about to happen thereafter.

Without being there, I was wondering if it was loud when the Packers had the ball?  It didn't seem like the crowd was ever a factor like other stadiums.  Cheering a TD is nice, but that's not an advantage.

to think about it another way... it's great that we all got wrapped up in the end season run, the growth of Cousins, and the fun that was throwing deep balls to jackson and watching reed just eat up the middle.

(edit: that should go in the taken out of context thread)

but that stadium was empty a lot of games. especially early on in the season.

coming off a combined 7 wins in the last two years... then you look at the whole Griffin/Cousins stuff.

the upper level was just empty all year long.

people do not want to go to that stadium and do not want to pay to watch our team play. this is what happens when you suck for 25 years.

like i said, all in all it was a very good showing from our fanbase. but maybe you need to sit in game after game, where 25% of the stadium's seats are just empty, watching people jump up and scream while cousins is trying to call a play, watching drunk redskins fans fight each other, while the team get's its ass kicked by some other team that is also a laughing stock of the league at the time to truly appreciate it :)

Here's what I gathered watching on TV

1st quarter - as electric as i've ever heard FedEx before, and seemed like we were getting in the Packers head

2nd quarter - obviously deflated when Packers are moving the ball and scoring, however it did seem like there were maybe a couple 3rd downs that we could have been a little louder, but no complaints

3rd quarter - we were loud after scoring the TD to take the lead, but didn't seem electric like 1st quarter, and then the packers went on a long drive and scored right after that to kill our momentum, i was hoping we would maintain that loudness for the packers drive there, so i blame the loss squarely on season ticket holders (obviously joking) but seriously couldn't someone have hit rodgers in the head with a battery????

4th quarter - sounded like lambeau

again, it's a lot different to tell when you're at the game vs TV, but that's what i picked up from TV

we have a great fan base, and FedEx will continue to be electric like that 1st quarter if the team can maintain a high level of play

It sucked that we had Packers fans behind us in the uppers. It culminated with us being "asked" to move to a new section after the umpteenth time they shouted "YOU LIKE THAT" in my wife's ear every time the Packers made a good play and she almost went Randy Marsh on them... overall though the stadium was rocking early, thought the place was gonna come down when we got the safety.  It started quieting down after the Packers kept marching on us, understandably. 

I was there yesterday as well, completely disagree with OP, it was easily 80 - 85% Skins fans vs Packer fans. FedEx was a mad house for the first quarter and beginning of the third quarter. I had Packer fans comment to me that "this place is crazy!"

Kudos to the Pack for taking us out of the game.

Great year!! Here's to Scotty MAC and building a monster this offseason!

I was at the game and I wasn't embarrassed. It's a different era because anyone can get a ticket due to the MANY venues afforded to us to purchase them. Not only that, but unless you've been under a rock the Packers fans historically are tops I'm terms of traveling fans.

I was at the game and disagree.

I thought our fans represented well. Yes, there were some chants from the Pack fans, after they started to take the momementum, but that's to be expected. Other teams fans travel, and buy tickets. It happens.

What cracks me up is fans who don't attend games, telling those of us who do, that they're "embarrassed" by us.

If you don't want to be embarrassed, then get your ass to the game, because you are part of the problem.

I was at the game too, section 223.  Packer fans behind us were loud but agree that maybe 12-15% range, maybe a tick higher but after having to have been to a ton of regular season games, this was my first playoff game.  Fans in seats early and thought very vocal when we were on D, even loud in the early to mid 4th when the outcome could be felt.

That atmosphere yesterday solidified my hope and optimism that this team and its fanbase have turned a corner.

Without being there, I was wondering if it was loud when the Packers had the ball?  It didn't seem like the crowd was ever a factor like other stadiums.  Cheering a TD is nice, but that's not an advantage.

I was at the game and for most of the game the crowd I thought did very well yelling loudly at the correct times.

But given the current acoustics of our stadium we are never going to achieve a Seattle like atmosphere.  Hopefully the new stadium will make that improvement.

FedEx was loud and rocking. You didn't really hear the Go Pack Go stuff until very late when the game was over and that happens in the NFL. Even our fans took over the Linc a couple weeks ago after we put the Eagles away. The Kuhn chants, I mean if 10% of a stadium all chant one thing its probably going to go through. Packer fans travel everywhere so it's just something you deal with.

Our fans were great yesterday. Can't blame them at all. They did their job.

I barely saw any green in the stadium during that game, and agree 10K yelling the same thing at same time can sound like the microphone is right next to them.

I think what took the fans out of the game is after being up 11-0, to be down 17-11 just like that. Brings back memories of 2012 vs Seattle in the playoffs. Seems that whenever we're ahead in the playoffs, we let the other team back into it.

I still thought we could come back even with 5 minutes left. Yes I know, I'm crazy to think that

I was at the game and for most of the game the crowd I thought did very well yelling loudly at the correct times.

But given the current acoustics of our stadium we are never going to achieve a Seattle like atmosphere.  Hopefully the new stadium will make that improvement.

That's good to hear, it's hard to tell when you're not there.  

Yeah I was VERY happy to see us go quiet on offense. In years past you'd always see all the idiot fans screaming their lungs out when we have the ball, but that didn't happen last night.

Playoffs brings back the real football fans I guess. Regular season has too many wine and cheesers.

Hopefully we get this same home field for 8 home games next year.

Archived