Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Feel a Little Embarrassed...

Taylor 36

Not so much by the performance of the team or any one player.  I was disappointed in the outcome, and I know that we've all seen them play better at times this year, so that made it it tough, but I am happy that they exceeded expectations and showed a fire and a drive as a team.  

I became embarrassed during the game due to the amount of Packers fans that were in our stadium.  The chants of "Go Pack, Go" and the celebratory "KUUUUUUHN" where very loud and clear throughout the game.  This was a home playoff game. How could so many tickets be available for Packers fans to purchase.  I would understand if this was another 4-12 campaign, but this was the playoffs.  In 60 degree weather nonetheless (not that it should matter; look at Minnesota). We are division champions.  If I was able to travel to FedEx, I would have been there in a heartbeat.

After the game and then again this morning, I had people commenting on the Green Bay fans.  One colleague at work said it didn't even seem like a home game for the Redskins, and he called it "Ridiculous."  At that point, I knew my feelings of embarrassment had justification and wanted to know if anyone else thought/felt the same.  

Again, I'm not embarrassed by the team; they have embarrassed me plenty in the past, but yesterday it was all about the fans, or lack there of. 

Honestly we didnt throw cups at players or boo for injured players. The redskins and fans didnt disrespect the game.

I'm guessing that you didn't read the post, because I wasn't saying that fans disrespected the game in any way.  If anything, we had a group that disrespected the team.

I was there, it really did not seem like there were a lot of GB fans, I would say it was maybe 80-20 Skins. I have been to games were the lower bowl behind the visiting team bench is covered it was not at all. ARod took the fans out of the game. The place was on fire in the 1st quarter and when we score on the opening drive in the 3rd.   

You can't stop these things anymore with the rise of the secondary market (Stubhub etc). Everyone has an equal chance of tickets.

Packers fans always travel well don't they? Shouldn't be a shock to anyone that they were there in numbers and were loud. Would've been the same in any other stadium. Listen out for them against Arizona too.

I was there. It was a sea of Burgundy and Gold. Not many Packers fans by comparison.

People all too often forget the stadium capacity size and just how diverse the population is in the area. I was overall proud of our fanbase last night. We represented. Players and coaches said so too. 

we live in a transient area, i know dead horse, but so is the complaining about fans coming to fedex. 

I bet there are more people from Wisconsin in our metropolitan area then any other area on the east coast, or pretty damn close. 

I'm glad to hear from those who were at the game that it wasn't as bad as it appeared (or sounded) on television.

You can't stop these things anymore with the rise of the secondary market (Stubhub etc). Everyone has an equal chance of tickets.

If season ticket holders didn't sell their tickets, then this could be stopped.  Maybe not completely, but a huge dent could be made in visiting teams representing.

FedEx was loud and rocking. You didn't really hear the Go Pack Go stuff until very late when the game was over and that happens in the NFL. Even our fans took over the Linc a couple weeks ago after we put the Eagles away. The Kuhn chants, I mean if 10% of a stadium all chant one thing its probably going to go through. Packer fans travel everywhere so it's just something you deal with.

Our fans were great yesterday. Can't blame them at all. They did their job.

OP has obviously not watched very many NFL games over the past few seasons so allow me to educate you: This is the new reality in every NFL stadium because of the rise of ticket resale websites like Stubhub. Opposing fans can purchase tickets to watch their teams play in any stadium with a click of the mouse and there is no way for the seller to know wherether their tickets are being sold to a home or away fan. This isn't like the RFK days where you had to personally know a season ticket holder to even have a chance of obtaining tickets.

There were a ton of Seahawks fans visible in the stands in Minnesota yesterday and you could clearly hear their cheers when the Seahawks made big plays. Same with the terrible towels waving all throughout Paul Brown stadium on Saturday night. In fact, I would say the Seahawk and Steeler fan presence at their away playoff games was much greater than the Packer fan presence at FedEx Field.

Even when you look at the most successful teams who are considered to have the most die-hard fans, you will find this trend in abundance. When the 49ers play in Seattle, there are vast swaths of red and gold throughout the "12th Man". When the Lions or Bears play at hallowed Lambeau, you see and hear their fans everywhere. When the Jets play at Foxboro, there is always a whole lot of green in the stadium.

The presence of Packer fans at FedEx yesterday was in no way an indictment of the Redskins fanbase. We remain one of the largest and most loyal in all of sports and you can look at the franchise valuation rankings for evidence of this. Rather, it is an unfortunate side effect of the digitization of the secondary ticket market. While it has definitely become easier and more conveinient for season ticket holders to sell their tickets, the consequence is more opposing fans in every pro sports venue.

The place appeared to be rocking to me, before kickoff and particularly after that first TD by Desean that was called back and Reeds score.  I can't blame the crowd for piping down while they gutted our offense or for leaving early.  It felt like we never had the ball from the 2nd quarter on and I know I was defeated sitting at home.  They were definitely more amped for the 3rd quarter TD then I was at home.  My wife was looking at me like "Why aren't you going nuts?" and I just had to let her know that I knew what was about to happen thereafter.

the same could be said about other skin fans that don't live in the area like myself who buy on stub hub and other online 2ndary markets. the argument goes both ways, and skins fans do show up for away games. also, keep in mind that we haven't gotten any good for a while and this is a swift kick in the butt, but hopefully its a building stone for more things and greater things to home. httr

Don't feel embarrassed. 

Our fans did a great job yesterday. Keep in mind that Packers fans are every where and often take over stadiums. However yesterday, I think it was 80-20, maybe even 85-15. 

I have family in NC...and they were shocked at how many Packers fans went to the Pack-Panthers game this past fall. I swear it was 50-50 and the Panthers were undefeated. 

This is what the crowd looked like in Charlotte:

PANTHERS_PACKERS_47.JPG

Wait till next week when the Pack go to AZ. You're going to see a 60-40 split with the Pack taking the majority. 

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/12/16/bruce-arians-doesnt-want-packers-fan-takeover/77427592/

Packers fans always travel well don't they? Shouldn't be a shock to anyone that they were there in numbers and were loud. Would've been the same in any other stadium. Listen out for them against Arizona too.

Not packer fans, bandwagon fans travel well

Back when the packers sucked ass in the 1980s, nobody you knew and nobody they knew had anything to do with the Packers

I seriously despise the "packers fans are so great" narrative. Complete bull****. Just like any other franchise. A core of diehards and a bunch of fans when they are good

Dan Bickley says Bruce Arians is fuming that ticket holders are selling out to Packers and Seahawks fans and costing the Cardinals their home field advantage.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/2015/12/15/strictly-bickley-arizona-cardinals-tickets-packers-home-field/77360016/

Yep. Imagine if the Skins were 13-3 with a bye and home game in the 2nd round. That would never happen. We won 7 games in 2 years, barely won a bad division, and still represented.

Our fanbase is as good as anyone's when the team is worth a damn. There are many that are significantly worse.

the turn out for redskins fans was incredible. if you disagree then you either weren't there, or you don't go to many games and have nothing to compare it to.

additionally we were quite on offense and loud on defense, if you do not understand why that is significant for our fanbase see above. i mean it was actually incredible that, for once in what seems like forever, we had fans that actually understood the game they were watching.

oh and also - we were all in our seats early. i mean super early. i got in 40 minutes to kickoff and i'd say the stadium was about 40% full. by the time they introduced the team it was 90% full, kickoff it was 100%.

the only crappy thing was that we all left early and the team didn't get the 'thank you' it deserved, but that's not really the fans or the teams fault. that's the fault of poorly designed parking at the stadium and everyone trying to get to their car before gridlock started late on a sunday night when everyone had to work the next day

(or had kids at home)

that stadium was jacked up. we did well yesterday. anyone saying otherwise can go kick rocks because you don't know what you're talking about.

as for the packers cheers - their team shut us up and so they could be heard. simple as that.

I agree with the OP. The Redskins can never say they have the greatest fans after last night.

Like someone else said, when Kuhn got that first down, the KUUUUUHN chant was very loud. And the "LETS GO PACK" chants were VERY loud for a visiting team.

Not packer fans, bandwagon fans travel well

Back when the packers sucked ass in the 1980s, nobody you knew and nobody they knew had anything to do with the Packers

I seriously despise the "packers fans are so great" narrative. Complete bull****. Just like any other franchise. A core of diehards and a bunch of fans when they are good

I'll lump steelers fans into this too. 

I live in the Baltimore area and sometimes I think there are more Cowboys and Steelers fans than Ravens fans. 

Archived