Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It looks like the era of dysfunction is over.

endzone_dave

Gone are the days when Dan and Vinny would hop on a plane and sign the most expensive free agent the first day of free agency.

Gone are the days when the Skins use a draft pick to trade for TJ Duckett.

Gone are the days when the Skins sign a washed up QB from a division rival.

Gone are the days when the Skins use three 2nd round picks on Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Fred Davis.

This team is a professionally run organization now and it shows.  The pain is over.  I know I'm being captain obvious but man it feels good.

I'm on the sign McCloughlan to a long term deal NOW bandwagon.  Gruden, McVay, Barry, Callhan, etc are coaching out of their minds.  It feels good to fall back into relevance and coming into the season nobody expected it.  From top to bottom we are seeing this team transform.

We've all fallen for it in the past, but this time it feels different.  Finally heading in the right direction.

And in the corner, Dan Snyder is sitting back and keeping his mouth shut.  Hopefully Jerry Jones doesn't follow suit.

I'm on the sign McCloughlan to a long term deal NOW bandwagon.  Gruden, McVay, Barry, Callhan, etc are coaching out of their minds.  It feels good to fall back into relevance and coming into the season nobody expected it.  From top to bottom we are seeing this team transform.

We've all fallen for it in the past, but this time it feels different.  Finally heading in the right direction.

And in the corner, Dan Snyder is sitting back and keeping his mouth shut.  Hopefully Jerry Jones doesn't follow suit.

Though I would love that, it's ironically the type of move the previous regimes would make with such a small sample size. Granted, McCloughan has been very successful in other places (that's why he got the contract we just signed him to after all). But tripling down on someone after one good season has put us in bad situations before.

There's nothing wrong with playing things out and letting things happen naturally. I don't know the terms of his contract, but I think it's OK to begin negotiating with him sometime before the final year he's under team control. To this point, he's done very well, but there's no way to know that he's outperformed anything (they probably expected quality moves, stability, etc.).  

Next season is crucial in determining the direction of this franchise, and whether things have TRULY changed.  It's not like this team hasn't made the playoffs before (2005, 2007, 2012), but after each of those seasons, they failed to return.  In fact, after two of those seasons, (2005, 2012), they returned to 10+ losses. fell back to last in the division, and crushed whatever hope they generated in the past year.  True contenders don't do that, but fluke teams do.  So next season we'll see what this team truly is - a true contender, or a one-season fluke?  I'm betting they show sustained improvement next season, but I've been wrong about that before.  Let's hope that's not the case this time. 

And then there's Cleveland....

Yeah, but there's always going to be Cleveland.  Browns fans can't even be football fans anymore - I'm guessing they're all closet-Greek tragedy fans.  There's no other explanation. 

And then there's Cleveland....

I thought we're not allowed to curse here?

But I generally do feel as though things are truly evolving on all levels. Snyder is quiet and us seeing the development on the field, the fans rejoicing and the sales increasing.

We have a strong GM that has found some key players and are continuing to develop those before him. Allen is quieter and focused on expenses and events which he's good at.

Our coaches have grown and appears to learn what has worked and who is working hard. Let's hope it continues!

I'm happy that we're on the winning side now, and I think most of the credit goes to SMC and Callahan. I'm also happy Snyder and Allen has been put into constant hibernation. Is this era of dysfunction over ? I sincerely wish it, but we will need to keep on improving during the upcoming season to avoid any setback.

I need to see three years of apparent non meddling from the owner before I'll be convinced the culture has changed. That being said, the early returns from the Scotty Mac era have been hella good.

Let's be honest in that much of our recent success has been the result of quality QB play. Check back in mid May to see where Scott has taken us. The first 15 minutes of this movie have been great. 

I made this mistake after the 2012 loss to Seattle.  I am now staunchly in the "prove it" camp.  This franchise has done nothing in the past two decades to deserve any benefit of the doubt.

Call me jaded; that's fine.  Maybe I am.  I will not be caught with my pants down again like in 2013.  2013 was devastating to my sports psyche.

I made this mistake after the 2012 loss to Seattle.  I am now staunchly in the "prove it" camp.  This franchise has done nothing in the past two decades to deserve any benefit of the doubt.

Call me jaded; that's fine.  Maybe I am.  I will not be caught with my pants down again like in 2013.  2013 was devastating to my sports psyche.

I agree.  When I see us a) win a playoff game and B) string more than one winning season together back to back, I will get more comfortable agreeing that the era of dysfunction is behind us.  I think this is a nice thread but premature and it better not jinx us this weekend!

And by the way, its MalCOMB kelly...check your facts Endzone_Dave :)

I swear to God that I never thought I'd see the day. I'm cautious due to all of the times I've been hurt in the past but it truly does feel different this time.

It feels different this time, just like it did the last time.  I'm wait and see and hope to be surprised like I was with Gruden and Cousins this year.

I would, however, like to keep McCloughan locked up here.  The feeling about him isn't different; it's the first time we've had a real hope.

As a post glory day fan its hard to be so convinced so early with the "new" regime change. How many times in the past two decades have we seemingly figured it out only to have it crash down to the ground and burn. Just reminds me of the "house that bruce built" thread all over again. 

From what I hear, there's been a fundamental shift in the culture and atmosphere of the locker room.  No more factions, no more segregation by offense, defense, positions, or skin color.  Players from any/all positions are chilling together, playing games together, hanging out together.  There's a goofy Lord of the Rings movement among many of the players.  DHall says he's once again having fun after a long time of playing cause its the job.  There's a cohesiveness to the team that wasnt there before.  I'm not sure if it started from that initial spark when the team had a brawl with the texans in the offseason and the whole team got each other's back, or whether Kirk provided that spark and passion with the come from behind @ Tampa and his defiant, **** you "You like that!" to all the haters and doubters. Or perhaps Gruden is just the right combination of toughness, motivation, and fun that this team needs.  

Archived