Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins need more Pierres

TimmySmith

These guys are money.

The signing of Pierre Thomas cannot be understated.  He appears to be effective as a HB, FB and TE. The exact type of player that would have received a couple of rings under Gibbs.

He will get 20 touches next week against the Cowboys.

The Garcon one is pretty good also.

Pierre Thomas will prove to be a very good signing. If we play the hawks he will be a big reason we get by the first round( if we do). After that, on road the rest of the way more than likely, it looks tough. But HEY! here we are! enjoy the ride even if it is just one playoff game.

So what really has happened to Alfred?  I loved watching him run because he remind me a little of Riggins in terms of that he ran through tackles.  Not any more.  It is painful to watch.  To this point it has been blamed on the line etc. etc.  But once again last night, Thomas gets a chance in that one drive and he starts ripping off big runs, catching the ball out of the backfield etc.  If I had to pick a MVP for the game last night it would have been Thomas.  He was an absolute beast on that one drive, and that was the key drive in that game because it killed the will of the eagles.  So what is the issue?  I am not convinced it is blocking.

So what really has happened to Alfred? I loved watching him run because he remind me a little of Riggins in terms of that he ran through tackles. Not any more. It is painful to watch. To this point it has been blamed on the line etc. etc. But once again last night, Thomas gets a chance in that one drive and he starts ripping off big runs, catching the ball out of the backfield etc. If I had to pick a MVP for the game last night it would have been Thomas. He was an absolute beast on that one drive, and that was the key drive in that game because it killed the will of the eagles. So what is the issue? I am not convinced it is blocking.

There is a reason Morris lasted until the 6th round and some saw him as a FB in the NFL. He is limited athletically. His greatest skill is getting downhill and making one cut. He's not overly fast, or quick, or big, or strong. All those qualities translate better to the power running game.

That being said, he also seems to be running a bit tentatively this year. Whether that's because he's not as comfortable in the offense or some other factor, I don't know.

Until this year, Alfred was a great doubles hitter. He didn't have the speed to get you that 40 yard touchdown, but it was amazing how many 12, 15, 22 yard runs he pulled off. I think his failure this year is manifold. One, he was really good at the stretch play. That is, running it wide and then cutting upfield or even around the corner. For some reason, probably his lack of speed, the playcall with Alf almost always goes straight up the gut. I think blocking has something to do with it too. Mainly though, I think it's what we saw with Demarco on the Eagles. Demarco was a fantastic fit for the Cowboys scheme and is horrible with the Eagles. Whatever it is that Morris does really well can't be taken advantage of in Callahan's scheme.

The lack of broken tackles though is really odd. He used to have really good power. He still falls forward, but every tackler seemingly wins.

These guys are money.

The signing of Pierre Thomas cannot be understated.  He appears to be effective as a HB, FB and TE. The exact type of player that would have received a couple of rings under Gibbs.

He will get 20 touches next week against the Cowboys.

The Garcon one is pretty good also.

Morris has been a disappointment this year, as he's too slow to the hole in the power scheme.  Thomas looks great and like he's still got plenty of gas in the tank.  Morris just isn't a complete back, so I'd sit him down.  Start Thomas and alternate between Jones and Thompson in relief.  I think this would perk up our weak running game in a hurry.  I'm surprised Gruden hasn't already done this.

Going forward, Thomas really should be the featured back. We haven't ran the ball well all year and it's not going to start now. If we're going to throw the majority of the time and mix in runs here and there, Thomas should be the guy with Thompson and Jones to give him a beak. Morris provides nothing in the pass game and Thomas is a terrific check down receiver when Cousins is under pressure. It kind of has to be predictable to defenses that when Morris is in the game, it's most likely run. If Thomas is in the game, the options increase substantially on different things we can run 

Going forward, Thomas really should be the featured back. We haven't ran the ball well all year and it's not going to start now. If we're going to throw the majority of the time and mix in runs here and there, Thomas should be the guy with Thompson and Jones to give him a beak. Morris provides nothing in the pass game and Thomas is a terrific check down receiver when Cousins is under pressure. It kind of has to be predictable to defenses that when Morris is in the game, it's most likely run. If Thomas is in the game, the options increase substantially on different things we can run 

No doubt, Thomas is our most complete back right now.  And it would be foolish not to take advantage of his experience. 

I couldn't believe how well Thomas fit into the offense against PHI.  It almost felt like he was the featured back that was there all along.  Now, I'm sure that he had a slight benefit on the receptions of not being gameplanned against to the degree he might going forward, but he still seemed to run the ball with some vision and used his blockers well.  

He's 31 but who cares, he did not look like an old 31 against PHI. 

Pierre T right now, especially since he is fresh, should be the starter IMO also.  Man I loved that pass KC threw him out of the back field, hit him in stride and the acceleration was instant.   Got the long first down out of it.  Huge plus to have a back that can do that.  Jones is also capable but he is not as explosive. 

Archived