Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - Bills at #Redskins (Final)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - Bills at #Redskins

12/20/15

VICTORY!!!

Redskins 35 - 25 Bills

It's December 20th, and the Redskins are playing meaningful games. More, they lead the division.

I'm not sure what else you could ask for, but if are one of those saying you don't want to win the division at 8-8 or 7-9, I say you can s*** in your hat.

Take it any way you can get it.

Hello everybody! JimmiJo here, joined by Spaceman Spiff. Together we will bring you today's matchup between the Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins.

I was shocked to hear the Bills are favored 2 and 1/2 right now. As well as the Redskins have played at home, and as erratic as Buffalo have been, I just can't see it.

The scenario people will tell you the Redskins can lose today and still get in. Especially as the Giants and Eagles have tough games against the Cardinals and Panthers. I say; 'why chance it?'

Here's the scenario I like:

Win today. Win next week (which should wrap up the division), and go to Dallas resting people.

Speak among yourselves. Try not to spill anything...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III
o No. 12 WR Andre Roberts
o No. 20 S Jeron Johnson
o No. 25 RB Chris Thompson
o No. 56 LB Perry Riley, Jr.
o No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio
o No. 87 TE Je’Ron Hamm

No. 54 Mason Foster is expected to start in place of Riley at linebacker.

The Bills declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 8 QB Josh Johnson
o No. 33 CB Ron Brooks
o No. 53 LB Nigel Bradham
o No. 54 LB Max Valles
o No. 66 T Seantrel Henderson
o No. 85 TE Charles Clay
o No. 93 DE Lavar Edwards

Earlier in the week, the Bills signed Valles and placed No. 24 CB Stephon Gilmore on their Reserve/Injured list.

No. 21 Leodis McKelvin is expected to start in place of Gilmore at cornerback.
No. 51 Kevin Reddick is expected to start in place of Bradham at linebacker.
No. 79 Jordan Mills is expected to start in place of Henderson at right tackle.
No. 89 Chris Gragg is expected to start in place of Clay at tight end.

12:50PM

44799472-41D5-49D8-B331-FCEB254B80B9_zps

About ready to get underway. Here's to a good game. You may follow along in-game on Twitter @Skinscast.

At the Half

That was magnificent.

48E541EE-80A1-44DD-B1C2-BB18C520BD18_zps

See you after...

Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/albums/72157662631536535

JimmiJo

Is it better to be lucky, or good? Right now the Washington Redskins are both. They are the beneficiaries of one of the worst NFC East divisions in years, if not decades. But more important, they are taking advantage of the opportunity.

I asked head coach Jay Gruden whether this team is starting to believe in themselves. He answered that the goal of every coach is for the team is consistently improve and that yes, this team is getting better.

'Getting better' is an understatement.

06C1FFB3-BD88-4885-B1B0-D544982660DB_zps

The Redskins are now 7-7. That's three games better than last season with two more to play. They sit atop the division with a one-game lead over NY, two-games over Dallas, and ask me after tonight about the Eagles.

Getting better?

They totaled 431-yards of offense. They passed for 308-yards and added another 123 on the ground. Washington converted 7-of-11 third downs for 64-percent. They were 4-for-4 in the red zone and 3-for-3 goal-to-go.

Individually, there were quite a few stand-out performances, none bigger than that of Kirk Cousins. Cousins went 22/28 for 319-yards and 4, (count 'em) touchdowns. He finished with a rating of 153.7.

And you can't get 'better' than that.

They need to find a way to add rushing stats to the quarterback stats. Cousins' 13-yard scamper for the touchdown was a big moment in the game.

ED84C274-A723-40BE-A3B0-6A9B69FA6805_zps

Cousins spread the ball to seven different receivers. DeSean Jackson caught 6 for 153-yards and the touchdown. Jackson turned a very nice deep out into glory as the defender slipped and Jackson was able to use his speed to separate.

Jordan Reed had another monster day, finishing 7-for-7 for 84 yards and 2 touchdowns. Pierre Garcon reeled in 3 catches for 34-yards. Garcon's chain-moving grab on 3rd-and-16 at the end of the 3rd quarter kept a clock-killing drive going.

Alfred Morris had arguably his best game of the year. He finished with 84-yards on 14-carries. His 48-yard scamper in the second quarter was a career-long.

Defensively, the Redskins continue to improve. The goal-line stand at the end of the first half was amazing. The Bills took five shots inside the Redskins' 10, only to come away with nothing. Most impressive was the penetration Washington was getting in the center of Buffalo's line. Made all the difference.

For the third-week running, the Redskins have played a meaningful game in December. For the last two they have come away with a win. With the Giants' loss today, a win in Philadelphia will clinch the division.

I cannot tell you how happy I would be to see Washington resting players against Dallas.

Next week is the biggest game this team has had since the final week of 2012. Then, Washington was playing the Cowboys at home for the playoffs and the division. This time, they are on the road against the Eagles.

In speaking to players in the locker room after the game, I got the sense this is a team with laser-like focus right now. They are playing with an urgency I haven't seen around here in a while. Attribute that to the leadership of the coaching staff.

This team seems to be growing up before our eyes. So is Jay Gruden. I said at the end of last year that I thought he could be a good coach. I think he is starting to show it.

But before I crown them, we better wait to see what they do next week on the road with an Eagles' team looking for some payback. They would love nothing more than to win the division at the expense of the Washington Redskins and former teammate, DeSean Jackson.

I will be covering next week, and look forward to seeing you then.

4EA77D7A-0917-4089-8B8E-64B21F84F406_zps

Huge game guys! I'm so excited to be watching big games in late December! Why not us? Our fans deserve this. Our team has worked their butts off through injuries, our coach has been through scrutiny and our "backup" quarterback has been creating diamonds out of pressure ;). May the football gods be with us. Hail to the redskins!

Could be a big day for a couple big plays down the field - Buffalo does not have a great secondary.  Would like to see Jackson and Garcon go off.  While next weeks game matters most, a win today is helpful and would just add to a growing confidence that is needed.

Skins need to go out and maintain its hold on the top spot in the NFCE.

I'm kinda pumped for this game, today. 

And I'm not really sure why. 

To me, this game is nowhere near as big as next week.  I predicted like 6 weeks ago that the NFCE was going to come down to whoever won the division games, and I still think that's the case.  (In fact, I was even contemplating trying to start a discussion on whether we should, well, not "rest the starters", but maybe "be really cautious about any player that's close to the line, injury-wise".  But I decided not to, because it is possible, if we finish L-W-W, that we lose the division.  (If NYG wins out.) 

But it feels like a big game, anyway. 

If this were a year or two ago, I'd be feeling that "I hope the players think it's important".  But this year, I don't have that fear. 

Archived