Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

man...my wish list keeps shrinking, lol. also...this exercise feels so futile at this point because i trust 100% that SM will make better decisions across the board than any one of us would dare to dream of in our puny little football minds.

i'm down to:

1) Alshon Jeffrey - pipe dream no.1

2) Muhammad Wilkerson - pipe dream no. 2

3) Janoris Jenkins - slightly more reasonable than the above (& Josh Norman is probably getting tagged)...but also somewhat luxurious given our current crop of talent at DB. not to mention Culliver coming back.

4) Alex Mack - still hoping he opts-out (which according to a recent report is a very real possibility). he would upgrade, & solidify that OL tomorrow.

5) Eric Berry - pipe dream no. 3

6) Malik Jackson - more realistic than Wilkerson, though almost as unlikely.

if we wind up getting 1 of these guys, i would be ecstatic. i also kinda like the idea of Lamar Miller, but at what price? of course...one thing i am sure of is that if we sign someone, it will be on a good SM deal. he just doesn't pull Snyderrato deals, which is awesome.

after that...i would be most pleased if we were just able to resign most, if not all of our core players.

the big thing for me is that we whiffed on Paea (ok...so Scotty's not perfect), & Knighton is up there in age, along with Hatcher. so i'm looking right at a disruptive 1-gapping badass to come in. skill positions be damned...if we're building a bully, our offense is relatively settled right now (outside of OC, & maybe, to borrow a soccer term, a ball-winner at WR). i would love to get Wilkerson or Jackson (or both? haha), & then settle the rest via the draft.

man...my wish list keeps shrinking, lol. also...this exercise feels so futile at this point because i trust 100% that SM will make better decisions across the board than any one of us would dare to dream of in our puny little football minds.

i'm down to:

1) Alshon Jeffrey - pipe dream no.1

2) Muhammad Wilkerson - pipe dream no. 2

3) Janoris Jenkins - slightly more reasonable than the above (& Josh Norman is probably getting tagged)...but also somewhat luxurious given our current crop of talent at DB. not to mention Culliver coming back.

4) Alex Mack - still hoping he opts-out (which according to a recent report is a very real possibility). he would upgrade, & solidify that OL tomorrow.

5) Eric Berry - pipe dream no. 3

6) Malik Jackson - more realistic than Wilkerson, though almost as unlikely.

if we wind up getting 1 of these guys, i would be ecstatic. i also kinda like the idea of Lamar Miller, but at what price? of course...one thing i am sure of is that if we sign someone, it will be on a good SM deal. he just doesn't pull Snyderrato deals, which is awesome.

after that...i would be most pleased if we were just able to resign most, if not all of our core players.

the big thing for me is that we whiffed on Paea (ok...so Scotty's not perfect), & Knighton is up there in age, along with Hatcher. so i'm looking right at a disruptive 1-gapping badass to come in. skill positions be damned...if we're building a bully, our offense is relatively settled right now (outside of OC, & maybe, to borrow a soccer term, a ball-winner at WR). i would love to get Wilkerson or Jackson (or both? haha), & then settle the rest via the draft.

Wilkerson is going to be a 100 million dollar man or franchise tagged. Either way, he'll be a jet

Morris is going to be a great fit in Tennessee next to Mariota 

He's 27 with tread.

He might be entertaining the "life after" portion at the moment.

Deserves a shot at a role in the org or in the media.  Helleva nice guy. I'm sure they can find something for him.

I don't know about that ton of cap space. According to this, we're not in great shape as it stands today. Moves will be made of course freeing up money, but 26th in the league in cap space doesn't seem that great a spot to be in.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

The cap keeps going up, but the contracts are going to go up with it. Agents will see to that.

The "huge number" came from the Tandler piece that is still in the OP for reference.

It won't be that high.

I doubt we part ways with DJax or PG at the moment.  For me, Goldson may be worth keeping around depending on how the draft goes at a rate where we can lengthen the spread of his money.

I'll admit AlMo is having a down year. But we don't have a single RB who is doing well. Don't give me the Pierre Thomas crap that was one game.

Almo will get a decent contract somewhere else. Teams won't overlook what he did his first 3 years. With that said, If I was him, I'd be putting every penny in the bank to ensure a comfy life after football

I don't know about that ton of cap space. According to this, we're not in great shape as it stands today. Moves will be made of course freeing up money, but 26th in the league in cap space doesn't seem that great a spot to be in.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

The cap keeps going up, but the contracts are going to go up with it. Agents will see to that.

Yeah, as a Zoony said, Griffin's money coming off the books makes a big difference - moves us from 26th to 13th. Now that money will get eaten up quickly with Cousins' contract, but that gets into different territory - what our cap will look like after we start making moves. Yes, you could argue the same about Griffin's options, but that's not a situation of do we keep him or not, do we restructure or not, cut and re-sign, do we have a replacement, etc.

As everyone has eluded to, I think the interesting decisions will be Garçons and Goldson - two guys that aren't near the top players at their position but have disproportionately high salaries. Yet they are also in the tone-setter/leader roles which the team may be loathe to lose or mess with. I think they, along with (perhaps) Gallette and Knighton are guys they extend/restructure for two years while looking for their replacements in the draft.

Have to wonder if they try to keep Cousins' salary a bit lower the next couple of years to offset this a bit.

But yeah Justice, don't see that we'll have enough space, particularly after re-signing our own, to make any splashy FA moves... which I am perfectly fine with. Re-sign our guys and look toward the draft to find replacements, along with perhaps a couple/few cheap contracts at key areas of need (mostly for competition purposes).

Side note: Scot was heralded as a guy that understood how to build a lockeroom and the importance that has on the field. I love that we're already seeing this bearing fruit... and that Gruden is enabling that change in culture (yes, that last part was a shameless attempt to satisfy TSO and Jumbo, lol).

There is no way we pay Goldson 8mil next season. It just can't happen. I appreciate his leadership and locker room presence and his play on the field has been decent too but not at that price tag. I see him being released and then signed back cheaper, rather than extended.

Yeah, that is superstar FA money for a S. Giving him anything close to it is crazy town banana-pants.

We have a ton of cap space next year.  With just 4 common sense moves, we will have over $40 million in space.  Those moves are:

1. We cut RG3.

2. We cut Andre Roberts

3. We cut Goldston, or renegotiate him down much lower.  He has been an improvement, but isnt worth anywhere close to $8 million.

4. We cut one of either Garcon or Jackson.  This makes sense, we have too much money tied up in receivers we only throw to 3-4 times per game.

This doesnt count cuts in ANY other area, and I can easily see us cutting say, Lauvao and saving $3 mill, or Hatcher and saving $4 mill.

But with $40 million, and rolling over our $6 million extra from this yearwe have enough to sign Kirk($15 mill the first year), and have $31 million left over to add quality depth($10 mill), sign 2 starting FAs($16 mill) with $5 mill left over.

For the record, at the very least Weddle will be available in FA.

hence the "pipe dream" part.

i don't think he's a lock to be a Jet though. the Jets have some money spread about, & more they need to spend in the not too distant future.

They could Franchise tag him and trade him for a first round pick but with Richardson's legal issues, I think Wilkerson is the safer bet to lock up long-term

Goldson isn't really worth keeping anymore. We have Hall to play FS and Jarrett looks like a promising future stud at SS. McC can then draft another one in the middle rounds. We also have Duke Onohacu(however you spell his last name)coming back.

I've been hard on Garcon but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back if we can lower his cap number. We likely aren't going to find a stud WR with a pick in the 20s. I'd like to keep the continuity going on offense.

I've come around on the idea of keeping Garçon at a reduced cost.

Roberts and Griffin have to go, obviously.

Goldson is the toughest one because he's not worth his contract and he's also not that good, period, but there's that mystical locker room magic you don't want to mess too much with in one offseason.

Depends who we bring in, but at the very least he needs to be negotiated down. Way down.

Let's not forget Jordan Reed is entering the last year of his contract and only set to have a cap hit of $833k. We will most definitely be looking to extend him. He will need to be in the jimmy graham/Julius Thomas/gronkowski range of 9million a year....

In previous years, I'd have been a little hopeful for swapping Garcon for Alshon, but in this brave new Scot world, I feel like that's not in the cards.

Garcon probably is the less valuable of the two, so I would not be surprised to see him gone, but it'll be sad to see him go. Guy has made some clutch catches. Just too costly to keep those two for what they are, unfortunately.

Part of the reason I thought we might continue hitting FA for WR help in the future is that it's one of the few positions where McCloughan has not shown he's excellent at finding value in his stints. ..despite coming from the GB scouting tree that is obviously very good in that area, he hadn't shown a ton there.

But I'm thinking that's just poor luck now that I've seen Crowder's rookie year (a guy Scot stood on the table for and drafted despite the coaching staff's reservations), Doug Baldwin's breakout year, and Crabtree's resurgence in OAK (the one WR Scot has drafted in the 1st round I believe).

I thought WR might be a blind spot for him in a way, but it seems very possible that bad luck and the way his teams have schemed in the past (relying on the run and defense to win) have prevented his WR picks from getting the targets and opportunities they needed to thrive.

Oh, and for anyone wondering how McCloughan might feel about Desean, a playmaker that doesn't fit his typical hard nose, physical, blocking preferences and is more of a finesse deep threat...I believe he was still a part of the Seahawks brain trust that clearly gave Paul Richardson a high grade (drafted in the 2nd). He's about as close to a Desean clone as we've seen recently other than the out-of-nowhere Arians playmakers (Antonio Brown, T.Y. Hilton, John Brown) but he's been screwed by injuries.

Garçon has been so clutch the last few weeks I don't know what to think anymore. I was convinced he'd be one of the first that we'd make a move on (I was dreaming he'd take a pay cut since he's one of my favorite players on the team, but thought he'd end up a cap casualty in the end).

He doesn't get the separation he used to. He is virtually a non factor as a deep threat. Yet, he's extremely clutch and operates efficiently within this offense. His intensity is through the roof and he's arguably the emotional leader on offense. He's as good a role-player as you can find.

You don't really want to pay a role player as much as he's getting and will get, though.

But that clutch factor... I'm not sure you can overpay for that. So I don't know anymore.

OH OH OH. That would be a huge stick in Jeff Fisher's bum. Stealing one of those he got in the RG3 trade. Icing on the cake.

Also, I still expect Pot Roast to be 100% here next year. He's going nowhere.

Let's not forget Jordan Reed is entering the last year of his contract and only set to have a cap hit of $833k. We will most definitely be looking to extend him. He will need to be in the jimmy graham/Julius Thomas/gronkowski range of 9million a year....

Eh, enjoy the last season of Jordan Reed in DC next season. I don't see is giving him big money

I think the real question in free agency is how much faith does McCloughan have that he can find the fixes the 'skins need in the draft? I think our needs area as follows:

Center

RB

Saftety 

Pass Rusher (probably a linebacker, but could be an end)

Tight End (preferably one who's a good blocker)

If you think that you can fill those needs in the draft then there's no real need to cut or restructure a guy like Garcon because rookies are cheap. Morris is out. You could tell the whole season that the coaches didn't really like him and worse, he couldn't change their mind. Morris failed in this system. Griffin, Roberts are also out. Jones hasn't proven he can or should be the guy. Chances are they'll draft someone to compete with him rather than signing a fa though.

The interesting question is which of the "prove it to me" 1 year contract guys actually proved themselves? Did Knighton do enough? Did Goldshon? I could definitely see them absorbing the last year of Garcon vs. extending him. Garcon is still valuable, but he's fallen from a 1/2 to a 2. Crowder feels like an ideal 3. He's also at risk for a sophomore slump. It feels like his productions has already kinda hit the wall and dropped in recent weeks.

In terms of replacements, I see blue collar guys not stars. We'll sign some glue guys, but anyone on our dream list is probably not going to be on the Redskins radar. I really doubt we'll see 2000 revisited. I really doubt  McCloughan goes off plan.

If Reed stays, he will not be getting that contract this off-season. Let him ride out his rookie deal, franchise him for another. I doubt he'll be content with a contract that reflects his injury prone past and poor blocking.

I doubt they bring Knighton back unless they believe he will continue to help Baker beast it up. They have to bring Hatcher back purely because of the lack of quality available. Paea was underwhelming, and even with a couple of draft picks it will be hard to be too confident with the group...unless they switch to a 43 defense, which most believe will not happen.

Archived