Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

No, Tampa paid half of Goldson's salary for this year, will not pay any of next year's. At 4 mil, he's overpaid for what he does these days. At 8 mil, he hits the extremely ludicrous level. 8 mil is superstar-level pay for Ss and he's merely mediocre.

Hall hasn't shown much of anything at Safety, and there's not much reason to think he's going to become anything special there. And he has trouble staying healthy at this point in his career, also something not likely to get better as he ages.

We are due to pay that duo, plus Jerron Johnson, a total of about 13.5 mil next year. That kind of money should bring you stars. For example, Seattle pays their All-World pair a combined average of about 17 mil. We should be able to do a lot better than aging mediocrity for our money.

what do our options look like? Jarrett is a bright spot. Any FAs? Hope we draft one.

what do our options look like? Jarrett is a bright spot. Any FAs? Hope we draft one.

I'm guessing we cut and attempt to re-sign Goldson, bring back Ihenacho - though consider him a bonus if he stays healthy, not rely on him - keep Hall and Johnson and draft a guy (or two). Drop Robinson. Since Jarrett can count as a corner, we can carry 5 safeties aside from him.

It wouldn't be an ideal group, but versatile and hard working. Also a good group to develop a young guy behind.

Still think Keenan Robinson can be a good starter for us, but drafting someone to push out Foster and challenge Compton/Spaight would be a good move. Not sure how the team will feel about paying Robinson, but his poor play (which I think was mostly due to injuries/new scheme) might allow for a reasonable contract.

Offseason's gonna be interesting, lot of decisions to make at WR, S, ILB, corner, whether to transition Murphy inside, re-signing Gallette, etc.

Not talked about much, but I wonder if Paulsen returns. I'm assuming he does, but may get beat out.

If I'm choosing between Garçon and Jackson I'm easily taking Jackson and releasing Garçon.

Jackson still does something at an elite level which is hard to find. Garçons production can be replaced by a multitude of other options.

I would release Goldson as well due to the hefty salary but see if he is interested in returning at a fair price for what he brings. I can't see him getting big offers elsewhere

If his health checks out, I'm on board the Wisniewski bandwagon.  He's a solid player where we need it the most.  As far as the lists floating around, I could see doing a 2-year deal for Pot Roast, and I think Culliver can be a solid piece when healthy.  But no one on these lists is an absolute must keep at this point, the closest is probably Cousins.

I don't know about OL so much. I feel like Kouandjio is pre-destined for that LG spot, & that Long will eventually move over to the OC spot after another full offseason of work there. Scot could easily still grab an interior OL in the draft to keep competition high, but i ultimately feel that Kouandjio will have a Moses-esque expectation from the staff come next year.

I am of the opinion that the middle of the Defense is where we need the biggest improvement, but again...we have guys like Spaight, & Compton developing, as well as Jarret. So we could be looking at DT, ILB, S in the 1st 2-3 rounds.

A lot depends on what actually goes to market, & again...ultimately what SM is willing to pay for certain positions.

When it's all over, i would say i have a list of hopefuls, & expect that maybe 1 gets looked at as an actual target...& then we draft accordingly.

My wish list would be:

1) Alshon Jeffrey - just on this particular subject. I get that KC spreads the ball around, & that this offense doesn't require a high volume WR. But i don't look at AJ that way. I would happily pay the Garçon rate, or even a bit more for him to give us 70 receptions, with 12+ TDs, & a bunch of plays no WR in our division can make outside of Dez, & OBJ. His threat combined with DJax, & then Crowder/Reed/Paul/Jones underneath would pretty formidable. Also...Jeffrey blocks...well.

2) Tashaun Gipson

3) Danny Trevathan

4) Mohammed Wilkerson

5) Alex Mack (has an opt-out....pipe-dream, i know)

6) Stefan Wizniewski.....so long as Scot's ok with it...so am i.

7) Eric Berry

8) Josh Norman

9) Von Miller

Again....i HOPE to be able to STEAL 1 or 2 of these guys at the usual SM rate.

Beyond that...re: Goldson...his on field production is certainly middling, & barely worth the cut-price on this season. However, due to his apparent invaluable leadership, i could see a deal where we extend him for an extra 1 or 2 seasons, & break up that $8mil for next year. Or not....but i certainly think his leadership is a quality that justifies a slightly higher number for his services. Which COULD get better with more time in the defense, & better players at other positions. He is not worth 8mil certainly. ..but i wouldn't be mad at a 5.5-6.5mil average over 3 years...with a team option after 2.

Maybe Mason Foster is a keeper and solution to MLB?  Good article about him

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tampa-bay-buccaneers-free-agency-mason-foster-atlanta-falcons-chicago-bears-030415

While the Tampa Bay Buccaneers maintain exclusive negotiation rights through Saturday at 4 p.m. ET, the 6-foot-2, 240-pound tackling machine will be pursued by multiple teams as he tops the list of available three-down middle linebackers in free agency.

"I loved my time in Tampa and I'm excited for the next chapter in my career, whether that be here or somewhere else," Foster told FOXSports.com. "I know my best football is in front of me, and I can't wait to get back on the field and contribute to a winning season."

The reality is Foster had been the quarterback of Tampa Bay's defense for three seasons. During that span, he averaged 94 tackles, two sacks and two interceptions a season. Then, a coaching change occurred, which came with a change in defensive philosophies. The Bucs transitioned to a Tampa-2 defense, which stresses middle linebackers to drop in coverage.

Foster, known more for his instincts and physicality, wasn't a natural fit in the scheme, but it'd be wrong to label him as a guy who lacks speed or coverage ability.

"Mason is a tough, physical, smart inside linebacker," former Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik told FOXSports.com. "He sees plays develop. He plays downhill and he's a very strong tackler at

Need a really strong C and LG. Stunts confused the right side last night but that can be learned. Need two more road graders. Not sure if Kouandjio can fill that LG slot, or not. Hope so.

If we can't take advantage of blitzes because of pass protection, and we can't run? Than we will continue to have these problems. Our next four opponents will see how to stifle our Offense after last night.

I don't think we need to spend big bucks on LG or C. Just getting league average guys would be fine. Ideally though we can draft some young studs there that can grow with Scherff and Moses. I want the OL to grow together and for that we need all the guys to be in roughly the same age group.

I don't think we need to spend big bucks on LG or C. Just getting league average guys would be fine. Ideally though we can draft some young studs there that can grow with Scherff and Moses. I want the OL to grow together and for that we need all the guys to be in roughly the same age group.

Ah ****. I posted in the wrong thread...i want to draft them also. Totally agree warhead

Although we obviously have some holes on the team, I find myself at the point that I don't really want the team dipping much into FA - I want the young guys to get better and draft more young guys to push the vets. There really aren't many clearly weak units (that also don't have much potential).

In fact, I think wr might be the only spot I'd look to add a bigger FA signing (Jeffrey has been mentioned frequently - I think he's perfect).

Dline - I'd look to the draft for one or two, though I'd consider a FA depending on what happens with Knighton and Hatcher.

TE - I'd consider an decent, all around TE (actually, a strong blocking only TE would be great too) in FA, though I wonder if Paul could fill that role next year... in which case I'd look at the draft.

ILB - maaaybe FA, but I'd look at re-signing Robinson (and Foster if he was a 1 year signing)... otherwise, draft

Safety - tough one... a discounted Goldsen along with Hall, Jarrett, Johnson and Ihenacho would make me look draft only. If Goldson is gone, then maybe FA (along with a DP)

Corner - Draft only, particularly if Blackmon sticks

Oline - Draft only (I suppose center would be an option FA-wise)

OLB - Gallete and/or draft

Running back - Draft only

Regarding  Josh Gordon - who would be my first choice of all FA's available to be honest. I'd throw an offer at him and hope the Browns don't counter/match.

"Gordon's latest suspension affects his free-agency plans. Gordon was set to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2015 season but needed to play six games -- or be paid for six game weeks -- to get the accrued season in 2014. Now he won't become an unrestricted free agent until after the 2016 season, since players must have four NFL seasons to reach such status, unless he is successful in his efforts to get paid for his Week 17 absence.

If he is unsuccessful in his attempt to get paid for this week, he will be a restricted free agent after the 2015 season,"

Clint Eastwood can shake his head all he wants... he's immediately the top player not named Trent Williams on our team and of course there has to be a clause that we can opt out of is he's ever suspended again, though at this point if he's ever messed up again i believe he'll be out of the league for good.

We haven't had a receiving talent like Gordon since who know's when...

The 2016 free agent group isn’t the most balanced one, but as we look at the 10 top free agent defenders about to cash in, it’s easy to see where the strength of this “class” lies.

(Editor’s note: Each players’ 2015 overall grade is noted in parenthesis. To see the best 10 offensive players headed for free agency, click here.)

1. Von Miller, OLB, Broncos (92.2)

Miller has taken the NFL by storm since entering the league, so much that it’s hard to imagine the Broncos letting him hit the open market. But with so much money in so much talent, it’s possible that our fourth-ranked edge rusher on the year does just that. This league demands pass rush, and in that regard, Miller, who has a better grade than all other edge defenders doing so, is explosive.

2. Josh Norman, CB, Panthers (91.3)

A year ago, Norman was something of an afterthought, despite finishing the 2014 season strong. Now he’s widely revered, with his play on the field as good as any other cornerback. Quarterbacks have a 39.9 rating throwing at him (worst for them, best for him) and he stands atop our coverage grades with his consistently excellent performances. No player has improved their stock as much as Norman in 2015.

3. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Jets (89.1)

Drafted a couple of hours after J.J. Watt, you wonder how much more praise Wilkerson would get if the Texan wasn’t around. The Jets’ defensive end has established himself as one of the premier lineman in the league, grading positively in every game in the 2015 season. A true every-down player, he brings with him the ability to wreak havoc against the run and put a hurting on the quarterback.

4. Eric Berry, S, Chiefs (93.6)

Our highest-graded safety on the year, it’s remarkable that Berry has come back from illness, and not just returned to his previous level of play, but surpassed it. One of a new breed of safeties, Berry is a true defensive weapon, one whom you can line up anywhere and ask anything of him. He’s a fantastic cover man who can match tight ends, and a force in the run game who has an instinct for ball carriers. It’s been tremendous to have him back in the league, and he’s earned his upcoming big pay day.

5. Mike Daniels, DE, Packers (92.7)

If you watch a Packers game, there’s one name you tend to hear quite a lot, and that’s Daniels. With the fourth-highest grade of all defensive interior lineman against the run (he’s eighth against the pass), he’s a wrecking ball at the line of scrimmage who makes a fool of offensive coordinators that think he can be single-teamed. He doesn’t get a lot of love when you’re talking about the best linemen in the league, but he’s been making a ton of plays since his breakout sophomore season.

6. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, Giants (82.5)

What to make of JPP? By all accounts, his injury should have seriously derailed his career, but the upshot has seen Pierre-Paul return from injury seemingly determined on proving all the doubters wrong. In just four games, he’s scored a better pass rushing grade than he managed in 2014, with his return really adding a dimension to the Giants’ pass rush. His run defense hasn’t reached the pre-injury levels, but there’s been enough to show so far that he can still expect some big offers come his way in March.

7. Tamba Hali, OLB, Chiefs (88.1)

The emergence of Justin Houston has put the fantastic Hali into the shadow, somewhat. That, coupled with his age (32), might have people looking past him. Those people need to put on the tape of how well he’s playing right now. Hali has the sixth-highest pass rushing grade of any edge defender, rebounding very nicely from a slightly below par 2014.

8. Eric Weddle, S, Chargers (74.5)

Playing hurt and playing on a bad San Diego team hasn’t inflated Weddle’s stock in a contract year. But there are signs that Weddle is getting back to his best, with a strong performance against Denver; if he can finish the season strong, then the versatile safety is one player who will interest a lot of teams. Between 2010 and 2014, Weddle ranked in the top five of our safeties each season, including twice having the highest grade.

9. Adam Jones, CB, Bengals (86.7)

Would Jones leave Cincinnati? He’s not only found his best form there, but also the kind of structure that has kept his behavior off the field from becoming a headline. A match made in heaven, nobody could have seen him being quite so productive for so long in Bengals’ colors. But he has, and he’s a cornerback you can depend on, who brings the added bonus of being a major weapon in the return game.

10. Bruce Irvin, LB, Seahawks (80.6)

Playing the strong-side linebacker role in Seattle’s defense isn’t an easy one; and with the athleticism of Irvin, it’s no surprise that the team asks so much out of him when he’s on the field. It’s what makes him a slightly enigmatic player, with the question being how he might fare in a more pass-rush focused role (he spends a third of his passing snaps in coverage). 

How bout shooting Wilkerson to the top of the list...

I'm not a FA guy, would be completely happy with 0 signings. I do understand there will always be some degree of roster filling, but if we didn't get 1 big name I'd be fine. 

BUT, if I could choose 1 player that I think would contribute the most, give me Wilkerson for the next 5 years. 

Re-sign Gallette.   Re-sign Golston.

Sign FA safety.      Sign FA CB.

Draft ILB      Draft WR.     Draft TE     Draft Interior OL     Draft RB

cut Leribeus.

cut Riley Jr.

cut Johnson

cut Paulson

Those would be my starting points in a perfect world.

Obviously draft strengths will affect the final verdict on that.

Archived