Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

Any good free agent running backs? Seems like that position has become so cheap why not get a good one in free agency and use the draft to go after higher value positions

We just have so many needs its ridiculous. Feels like another couple years

Christine Michael, who we just claimed off waivers last week, was actually very highly rated coming out in the draft.  Never took in Seattle and more surprisingly never took in Dallas.

If he takes to coaching he may be a good get.  He is another of the "strong runner" mold.  He'll need to get over himself first, though.

Im the opposite and would get rid of all of them.

Agree.  I'd kick around Garcon, but I don't think he'd be a reasonable keep.

You want fresh mind sets after a while.

Depending on the cap ramifications which I don't know, I would bring these players back at a reduced rate only:

Griffin

Garcon

Roberts

Hatcher

Riley

Culliver

Hall

Goldson

Paulsen

Garçon: he's about the only really intense guy on offense. Brings a lot of juice. If you get rid of him, you need a replacement

Hall: he could be a serviceable backup at just about every position in the secondary. That's useful. I wouldn't count on him as a starter.

Culliver: I don't think they can do anything with him because he's on IR and under contract. You can't cut players on IR. not sure about cap implications either.

The rest: thanks for your service.

I'm not sure that Scot goes after a center in the draft since we have Austin Reiter on the practice squad, and Scot did draft him. I think the plan for him was to get him to bulk up some for next season.

That's a possibility, but let's not forget that Reiter was cut and not signed on the PS when we first released our 53. He was only signed back after a bunch of injuries. And as much as I like him being back and rooting for him, he's still a long way from becoming a reliable C on this team. Otherwise he would have been signed to the Squad and activated in a game or two to see if he was worth it instead of LeRibeus who's obviously a G, but not a C in any way.

I'm not ruling out on drafting a C in the early stages of the draft. C, like FS are the two most undervalued position on every roster. You need tough, smart guys on both side of the ball. The first having to lead his OL, while the second have to make up for every players in front of him as the last line of defense. That's two positions were you can't have dumb players.

I think our offense is closer to being really good so I actually wouldn't be opposed to using our primary resources(i.e. high draft picks)to make the offense better. Build one dominant unit first. I think the offense could really take off with just a decent starting LG and C if we can add a legit #1 WR(admittedly easier said than done). That is assuming the other young guys continue to develop and improve their games.

I think our offense is closer to being really good so I actually wouldn't be opposed to using our primary resources(i.e. high draft picks)to make the offense better. Build one dominant unit first. I think the offense could really take off with just a decent starting LG and C if we can add a legit #1 WR(admittedly easier said than done). That is assuming the other young guys continue to develop and improve their games.

I'm gonna somewhat repeat myself from an earlier post -

I think we have potential decent guards in Lauvao/Long/Kouandijo, I just think the problem is that with Lauvao and Lichtensteiger injured, we lack the experience and cohesion that breeds consistency. This would explain Gruden's (and other's) comments that the run game struggles because of mistakes/breakdowns of different guys on different plays - in other words, it's not due to one or two weak links.

A center would be nice though.. particularly a young guy that could grow with the rest of the line. A true #1 receiver would be great, particularly given our lack of depth outside our top 3, and the likelihood that we lose Jackson, Garcon, or both.

I'm especially concerned about our lack of developing guys on the dline though. Yes, Hatcher leads the team in qb hurries (by a wide margin), but I don't know how long we can count on him. Baker and RJF (in rotation) have played well and Paea is a decent rotational guy (though not at all living up to his contract), but we can't expect the line to improve without potential/youth.

Hate to break it to you but Hatcher Golston, and Knighton wont be here next year.

My point was that this is a position group that will need immediate investment in the offseason. But I wouldn't rule any of the above from being back, and I bet at least one will. McCloughan clearly belongs to the roster-building school of "don't get the most talented 53 guys but the right 53 guys." Knighton, Hatcher, and Golston are lockerroom leaders. And if we go on a run and make the playoffs, there will be something to be said for retaining the "right" veterans.

.. The one offensive position I'd like to see us pursue in FA is center. Don't think we want to go the draft route on that one -- we have enough young, inexperienced guys on the line. Between Scherff, Moses, Long, Kouandijo (and LeRibeus), Callahan has his hands full getting the kids up to speed. The regular mental miscues, especially in the running game, have hindered what we can do as an offense. Getting a reliable vet in the middle should help. Maybe that's a healthy Lichensteiger, given how well we were running the first couple games with him and Lauvao starting. Ideally, someone bigger and better.

If you have to choose between Jackson and Garcon as far as who to keep who to cut, I think Jackson has proven to be more valuable. I believe Grant can step into Garcon's role and do the same things but nobody on the roster can do what Jackson does.  Bringing back Will Blackmon has to be a priority. You picked him up after injuries and he's ended up being a starter. Goldson is really respected here and he's a captain. If you can work something out, I would bring him back. You need that type of veteran presence.  

Garcon is the only one I would bring back next year but at a reduced rate, I have a feeling that Desean Jackson will not be here. Does anybody know who the best Centers are that could be available, we desperately need an upgrade there next year.

HTTR

Garcon and DJ are not taking a pay cut.  They will both be back to play out their contracts next year.  Not too expensive to break up the chemistry. 

Garcon could get traded though.

I don't have a problem retaining some of the older dlinemen, or both Garcon and Jackson, but I'd surely be looking to draft/sign some young guys to (hopefully) take over from them down the road.

Was a bit surprised Hall played over Johnson.

Don't mind trying to hang on to Blackmon, he's a decent starter and a good backup, but I kind of like our guys even if we don't. Breeland looks great, Jarrett has shown a bunch of promise (and has performed as a rookie, similar to how Breeland did last year), Culliver is likely better than he had a chance to show, and Dunbar is very intriguing. I'd be willing to let Rogers and Everett duke it out for the 5th spot. I believe Cooley said Rogers looked like the Redskins best nickel back pre-injury... but that was before Jarrett took over. It'd be nice to have a decent backup slot corner though.

Anyway, not too sure about the financials, but generally I like the idea of retaining our (decent or better) guys until we have someone to replace them - Hatcher, Jackson, Garcon, Blackmon, and to a lesser extent, Golston and Knighton. So, right now, we don't have that... hopefully that changes come draft/FA time.

Yeah TSO, although the early returns haven't been much... I'm withholding judgement on 'ol pie-face. Line work takes time and Callahan kept him for a reason (and that's maybe more revealing when you consider that Callahan already had two backup guards in Long and Kouandijo). Don't necessarily think he's back next year, but if he progresses at C, you have to at least consider it. I'm going to trust that SM and Callahan know what they're doing.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out with De La Puenta, but you'd have to think they'd rather stick with the younger, in-house candidate unless LeRibeus forces their hand.

So the hits keep on rolling.

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_c7c7d898-96fe-11e5-8b9c-ffe6972ec121.html

Tight end Derek Carrier also left the game with an injury; he had an Achilles sprain. Carrier did not return, leaving Washington with just Jordan Reed as a true tight end. Offensive linemen Tom Compton and Ty Nsekhe filled in as needed for three-tight end running formations.

Tight End health has been a blight on our roster all year long. 

I've changed my mind on Jackson. I want to keep him. His skillset is just too unique and dynamic. There is almost no chance you can find someone even close to replicate that. I'm okay with paying a bit of a premium for it, especially since McC has shown he can find some cheap quality young players in the draft to make up for it.

Garcon on the other hand really doesn't do anything that you can't get from a mid round rookie. He's already been surpassed by Crowder.

Technically you wouldn't be "letting Garcon walk", you'd be releasing him. And hopefully doing the same with some others, like Roberts, Hall and Goldson.

Yah. Thanks a lot for pointing that out. Now let the grown ups talk.

I've changed my mind on Jackson. I want to keep him. His skillset is just too unique and dynamic. There is almost no chance you can find someone even close to replicate that. I'm okay with paying a bit of a premium for it, especially since McC has shown he can find some cheap quality young players in the draft to make up for it.

Garcon on the other hand really doesn't do anything that you can't get from a mid round rookie. He's already been surpassed by Crowder.

Garçon is just not getting open. His physical skillset has appeared to hit a wall

It is wishful thinking but I would really like to see Grant step up. But I think he's shown most of who he is. There is a perception that receivers need several years to develop but the reality is that players show who they are early on. Grant is a borderline starter. But so is Garçon at this point imo

Technically you wouldn't be "letting Garcon walk", you'd be releasing him. And hopefully doing the same with some others, like Roberts, Hall and Goldson.

I have to disagree about Hall. Especially now that he seems to be picking up Safety pretty well. 

Roberts can go for sure. Goldson is certainly more of a SS IMO, but if I'm not mistaken, TB is paying the bulk of his salary next season. I've read that he is due $8mil, but I'm not sure if that is all under our Cap.

I have to disagree about Hall. Especially now that he seems to be picking up Safety pretty well. 

Roberts can go for sure. Goldson is certainly more of a SS IMO, but if I'm not mistaken, TB is paying the bulk of his salary next season. I've read that he is due $8mil, but I'm not sure if that is all under our Cap.

No, Tampa paid half of Goldson's salary for this year, will not pay any of next year's. At 4 mil, he's overpaid for what he does these days. At 8 mil, he hits the extremely ludicrous level. 8 mil is superstar-level pay for Ss and he's merely mediocre.

Hall hasn't shown much of anything at Safety, and there's not much reason to think he's going to become anything special there. And he has trouble staying healthy at this point in his career, also something not likely to get better as he ages.

We are due to pay that duo, plus Jerron Johnson, a total of about 13.5 mil next year. That kind of money should bring you stars. For example, Seattle pays their All-World pair a combined average of about 17 mil. We should be able to do a lot better than aging mediocrity for our money.

Archived