Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Jets are a better team than many seem to realize

TheItalianStallion

Coming into this game I saw some posters describe yesterday's contest as a tossup which could go either way. Not having done my research, I took their word for it. But now I know better, and some things need to be pointed out.

The Jets are 4-1, including their win over us. All 4 of their wins were by 13+ points; they beat us by 14. Their lone loss was to the Eagles in a game where the Jets committed 4 turnovers while forcing only one, and where they outgained their opponent by nearly 100 yards. Keep in mind that the Eagles have a stout defensive front. And yet they only lost by 7.

The Jets have the #1 overall D, and top 3 in both rush and pass D. They also have the #1 rush O, so it wasn't just us whom they gashed on the ground.

We were missing 3 starting OL (including a multi-pro bowler), a pro bowl caliber WR, several TEs including a potential pro bowler, 2 of our top 3 CBs, not to mention the season-ending injuries to Ihenacho and Galette.

This is not to excuse the INTs or inaccurate throws by Kirk, the drops of catchable passes by our weapons, our failure to punch it in during that goal-to-go situation, or our inexplicable inability to hang on to the ball during onside kick attempts. But these were no slouches whom we lost to, and given our injury situation, this actually would've been a big upset if we'd pulled it off.

On Friday Cooley (who by then knew all of our injuries, with the exception of DeSean being possible at the time) predicted that the Skins would beat a Jets team he described as "average." Of course Chris predicted that the Skins would have 175 yards rushing against the Falcons as well.

I look at that Jets team and see a pretty good football team as well, I expect them to give the patriots some fight next week, that being said if our team was as healthy as the Jets, I think we're just as good if not better, that maybe looking at the world through burgundy colored glasses lol, but yeah definitely, at 100% for sure. 

The Jets are better than most of us realized.

Todd Bowles is a great coach, the announcers said something that made me very jealous:

Todd Bowles learned a lot from Joe Gibbs and people in the know remind them of Joe Gibbs.  They went on to say that the players love him and his style.

Joe Gibbs 3.0 folks, and it's NOT with the Redskins.

Face meet palm.  DOH***

Check my predictions in that thread. Many of us took the Jets seriously and predicted a beating. We exceeded my expectations leading 13-10 at half.

It was just disheartening to have another game we had a shot at and couldn't do anything with. A couple scoring drives in the 3rd would really have changed that game and who knows what would have happened

My buddy was saying how much the coaching change energized their team and how Bowles doing what he is doing with Rexs players shows how important that aspect is.

I pointed out they also added a qb, wr, got ivory healthy, revis, top d-linemen in the draft and went from there. Lol

The Jets are better than most of us realized.

Todd Bowles is a great coach, the announcers said something that made me very jealous:

Todd Bowles learned a lot from Joe Gibbs and people in the know remind them of Joe Gibbs.  They went on to say that the players love him and his style.

Joe Gibbs 3.0 folks, and it's NOT with the Redskins.

Face meet palm.  DOH***

I felt the same way. Everytime they showed him on the sideline I thought: That's a true Redskin from the Joe Gibbs glory days and he should be on our sideline. Anyway, seems to be a great guy who knows the game and the players love playing for him. They were saying that he's got great people skills and that is a huge part of being a successful coach in the NFL. The Jets are good and Bowles is a big reason why.

Bowles was a big reason why the AZ Cardinals defense was stellar last year.  They are still as good this year, but running the exact same system.  He definitely deserved a chance to be a HC with the job he did last year.

That's two guys I wish the Skins had hired:  Arians and Bowles.

yep i figured they were the better team, you know, what with being 3-1 and all...i kinda guessed they would beat us once our injury list kept growing last week. i think all of us knew by then that the jets would beat us. i can't speak for everyone here, but me personally, once we were winning 13-10 at halftime, i had a small sliver of hope that we were on a roll and would beat the jets and get to 3-3. watching the skins dominate the first half and then lose the 2nd half, i think thats why people are mad, or disappointed.

me, i have all the hope in the world that we will come out victorious at home on Sunday against the Bucs to get to 3-4. i have faith in our team :)

I felt the same way. Everytime they showed him on the sideline I thought: That's a true Redskin from the Joe Gibbs glory days and he should be on our sideline. Anyway, seems to be a great guy who knows the game and the players love playing for him. They were saying that he's got great people skills and that is a huge part of being a successful coach in the NFL. The Jets are good and Bowles is a big reason why.

Thats the thing .. its almost immediate, as soon as you see Bowles on the sideline there, he passes the "eye test" he looks the part of an NFL coach, and not a coordinator playing coach. See a man that demands a certain level of respect from his players.

The Jets and the Redskins were more or less in the same place last year, bad record, bad team but had promise. They greatly improved their secondary and slightly upgraded at QB and they seem like a new team this year. Hopefully, that's the road the Redskins are on -- I think its possible.

It takes the right coach. The Jets have been great in the 2nd half, only allowing 3.5 pts in the 2nd. The Eagles scored 24 in the first half against them but were shutout in the 2nd half. That's great coaching. Bowles credits his players like a good coach should but it's him. There's a quiet confidence about him. He looks the same whether winning or losing. Gruden looks distraught when things aren't going well, like what do I do now? The thing I don't understand is Bowles and Doug Williams are close friends. Williams was part of the organization. Why wasn't Bowles more on the radar?

Actually, it's fun seeing the Gibbs' legacy even if we don't profit off it. Mark Murphy has been a great GM, Bowles has been a good coach. I'm blanking now, but there are at least 3 or 4 others who've made a nice transition to the the FO or coaching ranks.

It's kind of funny. Gibbs' assistant coaches never wound up making that much noise, but you are seeing a nice second generation effect.

Actually, it's fun seeing the Gibbs' legacy even if we don't profit off it. Mark Murphy has been a great GM, Bowles has been a good coach. I'm blanking now, but there are at least 3 or 4 others who've made a nice transition to the the FO or coaching ranks.

It's kind of funny. Gibbs' assistant coaches never wound up making that much noise, but you are seeing a nice second generation effect.

Wasn't Mayhew a successful GM?

I'm not going to jump on the Jets bandwagon yet, they just faced par or subpar teams. Nevertheless their coaching staff has been doing a good job. The game vs the cheatriots will definitely be telling if they are legit contenders.

Archived