Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Jets are a better team than many seem to realize

TheItalianStallion

I can't get with the injury talk from some posters and how it was a major reason why skins lost. I can understand a TV personality who doesn't watch the games point to those kind of facts, but a fan watching last weekend's game must realize the Skins had every opportunity to win the game. The NFL is a week to week league and Skins blew the opportunities to build a solid in first half. Again!

The offensive line had a grand total of 17 total starts in the NFL among all five of them,, and of them 5, come from rookie G Scherrf.

6 come from Morgan Moses. 

Leribus was starting his second NFL game, his first at center.

Spencer Long was starting his third game.

And our left tackle had never played a down of NFL football before Sunday. he played for KISS in the arena league last year. Yep. He played for Gene Simmons in a variation of the game that hardly ever sees more than 3 pass rushers on any given play, and the all time leading rusher has under 700 total yards. he is now expected to fill in for Trent williams, and you can't get behind the notion he may struggle, he may need help, and his very presence removes receivers from the play, and removes a good chunk of running game potential..  .  against the best defense in the NFL..

Our wide receivers other than Garcon had no more than 4 starts among them going into Sunday.

Our defensive backfield has lost two starting cornerbacks, and a starting safety. 

the NFl is a week to week league, and when you go into a game with this sort of injuury list week in and week out, you're fighting uphill.

You say they had a chance, and they did, until the entire second half happened.

So a half a team managed a half a game, and you can't get behind the notion that perhaps SOMETHING among all of this might cause them to change how they have to approach a game. How it MAY be a factor in what happens in the game.

To you, all players are equal, and when Pro Bowler Trent Williams goes down, we shoud not lose a step when we start an arena league player in his place..

I'll take "More things Redskins fans don't understand" for 600, Alex.

~Dang

Best not derail here with pesky soccer talk to irk the natives (waves at LKB); but honestly can't remember being this excited, optimistic and can't wait to be at the game again rather than being flat, utterly depressed and hating going not knowing WTF was going to happen! Our cycles coming around again lid.

I even think I'm now half German but it's still to be proven ha ha.

#magicalpowerofthenormalone

Hail.

I hear you there.  I am about 30% German so close enough for me.   :)   Visited Anfield once but never been at a match, someday soon. Back on topic, clearly the Tampa game is the be all and end all perception wise as for the season especially being right before the bye.  I agree that losing to the Jets is understandable but losing three in a row capped off by a loss in Tampa I think will create some clear negative waves and doubts.  It would be a miserable 2 weeks so I am hoping that they come out on all cylinders on Sunday. 

I am laughing at this thread simply because everyone else besides myself and a hand full of others have watched the Jets play this year and some of us predicted the outcome in the prediction thread. Hell, if some of you played fantasy football you would know the Jets have some play makers but that is besides the point, as fans I think some of us unrealistically think this team can beat everybody but in reality this team is below average and considered a bottom dweller. Until the right changes are made, and one can say a general manager is a step in the right direction then this team can be like the Jets next year and that might have to start with coaching and finding the right fit for the current talent. 

Losing to Tampa might signal the end for Jays tenure & Kirks.How long do we have to watch the same script over & over? After great effort vs Atl follow it up with that stinker! Would've been a shutout without the turnovers by Jets.

A lot of it depends on injuries to me.

If the Redskins are as badly banged up as they were against the Jets with so many players out, I won't hold that against the team.

the NFl is a week to week league, and when you go into a game with this sort of injuury list week in and week out, you're fighting uphill.

You say they had a chance, and they did, until the entire second half happened.

So a half a team managed a half a game, and you can't get behind the notion that perhaps SOMETHING among all of this might cause them to change how they have to approach a game. How it MAY be a factor in what happens in the game.

To you, all players are equal, and when Pro Bowler Trent Williams goes down, we shoud not lose a step when we start an arena league player in his place..

I'll take "More things Redskins fans don't understand" for 600, Alex.

~Dang

You know what team is banged up right now?

All of them. (Except the Bengals who are walking in between rain drops).

The Steelers beat the Cardinals with a third string QB, a backup center, a backup left tackle, two backup linebackers, a backup DE, and a backup safety.

The Patriots are on their fourth left tackle.

The Bills have all kinds of problems.

Andrew Luck is hurt.

The Cowboys have literally lost all of their offensive production.

In order to have any kind of success in the NFL, you need to win one of these games where the injury report is ridiculously long.

We seem to never do that. And that mentality has to change. You can't be a "tough, physical, punch you in the mouth team" if that only applies when all the starters are available.

LKB writes:

Yeah, and look at their record. :)

Injuries hurt teams. A couple of injuries, maybe not, but when you lose nearly FIFTY PERCENT, or half of your opening day starters like the Redskins have, it is going to make a big difference.

Those who think the Redskins or any team can lose HALF their starters and aren't supposed to miss a beat, are being ridiculous, and are just desperately holding on to reasons to complain.

I love when Redskin fans use the Steelers and Patriots as an example. Two teams, with perhaps the most sustained front offices, coaches, philosophies and success within the last 15 years in the NFL and you expect us to do the same.

We've been a dumster fire for 23 years. This is the first year someone brought a fire extinguisher (Scot) and didn't continue to throw tires in it (Zorn, Vinny). It's going to take time to get to their level. You can see it in bits and pieces, like the first half.

I love when Redskin fans use the Steelers and Patriots as an example. Two teams, with perhaps the most sustained front offices, coaches, philosophies and success within the last 15 years in the NFL and expect us to do the same.

We've been a dumster fire for 23 years. This is the first year someone brought a fire extinguisher (Scot) and didn't continue to throw tires in it (Zorn, Vinny). It's going to take time to get to their level. You can see it in bits and pieces, like the first half.

The Steelers are not a very good team outside of their QB and playmakers.

And it's not that teams are supposed to absorb injuries and not miss a beat. It's that you need to be able to absorb injuries and still keep yourself afloat.

The mindset of this team for the past decade has been "Well, Brunell's shoulder is sore....that's a wrap on the season....."

The Steelers are not a very good team outside of their QB and playmakers.

And it's not that teams are supposed to absorb injuries and not miss a beat. It's that you need to be able to absorb injuries and still keep yourself afloat.

The mindset of this team for the past decade has been "Well, Brunell's shoulder is sore....that's a wrap on the season....."

I guess my overall point was that the Steelers and Patriots are bad examples to use to compare us. You are right about the Steelers. I think they are on borrowed time, but like the Yankees, seems like I've been saying that for 10 years, yet those two teams keep on trucking. The Steelers and Patriots have had such stability for so many years, that one injury is not going to rock the boat.

We've never had any kind of depth. I still think it's a work in progress for Scot, but I tell you what; I think the team has played hard despite the rash of injuries.  I don't see guys out there dogging it, like the guys when Brunell, Portis and all were out there.

One example I've used a couple of times in other threads when talking about the defense is, the fact that we've been decimated at LBer and secondary, yet Joe Barry keeps plugging away.  He's done a pretty good job despite the injuries and the one thing that he has over his predecessor Haslett is, he has not ONCE complained. I have yet to hear him use injuries as an excuse like Haslett did.

You know what team is banged up right now?

All of them. (Except the Bengals who are walking in between rain drops).

The Steelers beat the Cardinals with a third string QB, a backup center, a backup left tackle, two backup linebackers, a backup DE, and a backup safety.

The Patriots are on their fourth left tackle.

The Bills have all kinds of problems.

Andrew Luck is hurt.

In order to have any kind of success in the NFL, you need to win one of these games where the injury report is ridiculously long.

We seem to never do that. And that mentality has to change. You can't be a "tough, physical, punch you in the mouth team" if that only applies when all the starters are available.

All of those teams except Buffalo made the playoffs last year.

All teams have injuries, but most of them don't have the depth or playmakers in other positions to help overcome them.

We're one of those. We don't have the depth as of yet to survive many games with so many of the starting 22 missing time. We don't have the personnel that can make up the slack when so many are out.

Injuries are a way of life in the NFL. But it does not mean that because they exist that everyone is equally able to get past them.

One reason we can't ever seem to do it is because we change regimes so often that we're constantly changing people to fit another new scheme.. and our depth suffers badly. It's either constantly mismatched pieces or it's pieces that are missing.

Hopefully McCloughan having at least a few offseasons can begin to address that

~Bang

All of those teams except Buffalo made the playoffs last year.

All teams have injuries, but most of them don't have the depth or playmakers in other positions to help overcome them.

We're one of those. We don't have the depth as of yet to survive many games with so many of the starting 22 missing time. We don't have the personnel that can make up the slack when so many are out.

This endless argument of "We suck. What did you expect?" is exhausting.

This year's Jets are one of the best teams of the last 3 decades. Fitz will break all of Marino's records by week 12. Chris Ivory makes Barry Sanders look like Trung Candidate. if we would've have the played the same way Sunday against any other team in the league we would have won in a landslide.

I don't think it's about accepting our suckage more than it is about understanding it. 

I, for one, would like to see more creative coaching, better depth, and just other players stepping up when necessary. But that doesn't change my understanding of the situation, how difficult it is, and where we're at as an organization. 

So, I get where people are coming from when they make "excuses"... though I'd prefer they're never made. And it makes it tough for me to overly criticize any staff/personnel on the team because of it. Key word: overly.   

Truth isn't an argument.

we can hope like hell they aren't what they are, but...

In the end, that's what they are.

And 8 starters down,, it's just possible it could have an effect.

Believe me,, i do not feel as if any of this is vindicating to them or excusing any of it.

I think it's another indicator of how far we have to go.

~Bang

This thread is crazy.  The only people that didn't think the Jets were good must live in Landover.  You have a HoF playing cb, and first round picks all over the place. I knew we had to either beat the Falcons or Jets to have a chance to sip the kool aide.  The season is over. We need a new coach, a new qb, and a reprieve from this team.  The team is ran scared.  Like everybody is scared of Snyder, and Snyder is scared he knows he doesn't know what he's doing.

Skins should of had a fumble,scoop and score in first half. You just never know how a play like that can shape the out come of a game.Up by two posessions. Probably would have lost anyway, but who knows?  The ball was out before jet was down, called fumble on the field, then over turned. It seems the skins are constantly getting screwed on calls like this. Not to take anything away from NY, they look pretty tough.  Just my rant,  correct me if Im wrong.

This year's Jets are one of the best teams of the last 3 decades. Fitz will break all of Marino's records by week 12. Chris Ivory makes Barry Sanders look like Trung Candidate. if we would've have the played the same way Sunday against any other team in the league we would have won in a landslide.

Right, because that's even remotely close to what was in the OP. :rolleyes:

Want to know how the Redskins become the Jets next year?

Draft a shut down cb and a stub lb. Aquire a vet tall pro-bowl type wr. Get another OL in the draft.

And sign Drew Brees.

The 5th rounder for Marshall was an insane steal.   Brees is clearly > Fitzpatrick.  So to be the Jets not sure we have to elevate the QB that far.  Ironically, the man himself, Fitzpatrick, is a FA in 2016.  

But agree to your point.  To do upgrades that fit this team like the Jets did.   I think if Galette is back.  They sign a safety.   Maybe a D lineman.  Center.  And as for QB either one of the Qbs on the rosters emerges to be better than they are now or they sign someone who is better. (Fitzpatrick is no world beater) then we have a good shot next year to be very competitive.  And if they beat Tampa -- heck this season would still be in play, too.

Cooley just said it well on the radio and that is:  we all should be rooting hard for Cousins to succeed because if he does this team isn't that far away, if he's not we got a longer road.

Archived