Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Jets are a better team than many seem to realize

TheItalianStallion

The Jets are better than most of us realized.

Todd Bowles is a great coach, the announcers said something that made me very jealous:

Todd Bowles learned a lot from Joe Gibbs and people in the know remind them of Joe Gibbs.  They went on to say that the players love him and his style.

Joe Gibbs 3.0 folks, and it's NOT with the Redskins.

Face meet palm.  DOH***

I notice the same thing and for the life of me I don't understand why we have not looked at ex-Gibbs players for coaches.  

Weren't we looking at Grimm at one time?  I don't know.

But in my Jets prediction thread I said there is no way we are beating the Jets with our injuries and them being fully healthy and coming of a bye.  These are not the same old Jets people, and even if KC had the perfect game, they would still have won, hell very few teams lose when they can run the ball against an opponent to the tune over close to 250 yards.

Grimm can't sniff a job, and it would be just like us to drop a five year contract on him to find out why.

Great ex players typically do not make great coaches.

I do envy the Jets for Bowles, who is proving the exception.

I always predict we're going to win on friday.

I think i predicted we'd beat the Giants like 84-3 or something.

Rarely do my predictions deal in reality. Mostly hopes. My head knows better.

Fully healthy, we're a 6 to 7 win team at best. That means were' going to lose to good teams like the Jets, who's recent history probably would make us believe they are not as solid as they are. And it means we're going to drop heartbreakers, like last week against Atlanta, and it means we'll let a game we should win get away once in a while, like Miami.

People losing their minds over a loss like this one is tiresome,, because all it says is thhey had unrealistic expectation.

Now, there's aspects definitely worth losing our collective minds over, like why they get destroyed coming out after halftime every week.. but overall, getting bent because they lost a game they likely were going to lose is of pointless.

It's easy to say the usual cliché of working through adversity, building character and players through experience,, but with the injuries the way they are, it's going to be hard to gauge much.

~Bang

There's something that just doesn't sit well about us getting trounced by a team with a first year coach whose team picked one slot after ours. The Jets shouldn't be miles ahead of us. Their coach is also a first time head coach. They have a journeyman at QB and really their talent level is not that much better than ours. Now, we have suffered a tremendous spate of injuries, but why does it take Shanny four years just to get us up to terrible and Gruden who is continuing with a West Coast philosophy two years and counting just to look competent.

There's really no good reason why we shouldn't be at least where the Jets are today. They have been a pretty lousy team for the most part for 20 years too!

So, don't tell me the Jets are actually a pretty good team. They sucked last year and have their raw as a new born first year head coach leading them with a no one at QB. We should be a pretty good team. We should be competitive, equal or better than them.

Rant over.

The hope lies in that McCloughan can assemble a squad that can compete, but the Jets are one more example OF MANY that the process shouldn't take four years. We shouldn't have to settle for suckitude until we assemble enough good pieces to field a Superbowl worthy team before we can compete in the third quarter.

The tiny improvements we see are heartening, but the offense is cowardly and timid. The defense is backsliding into a bad version of bend, but don't break, and again we're getting trounced by Freshmen.

Okay, rant wasn't over lol

Everything Burgold said. I'm so tired of hearing about how this needs to be some 5 year project to get on track and start winning games. Maybe if we had found a good coach to begin with, one that's in his second year mind you, we'd be winning games too. But no. We must preach patience every time we bring someone new in to turn this franchise. Now it's Scot. Next year it will be our new HC. 

Burgold,

I think if we were healthy we could have beat them.

Jackson/Reed/Garcon/Crowder are equal to their pass catchers.

Garcon/Crowder/Grant/Carrier are not.

Our healthy o-line = theirs.

Our healthy D is not as good but without two of our 3 best cbs, an injured D-linemen, no depth at lb (injuries again) it's tough to win.

Burgold,

I think if we were healthy we could have beat them.

Maybe. Impossible to know. However, what we do know is that we didn't even compete with them once the second half started. So, it's one thing to say you couldn't beat them, but another to say you didn't even belong on the same playing field.

Second half, we didn't belong on the same field.

Everything Burgold said. I'm so tired of hearing about how this needs to be some 5 year project to get on track and start winning games. Maybe if we had found a good coach to begin with, one that's in his second year mind you, we'd be winning games too. But no. We must preach patience every time we bring someone new in to turn this franchise. Now it's Scot. Next year it will be our new HC. 

I myself have never given into the "5 year plan" idea.

Teams can turn things around quickly. If things are done well, and the team gets the breaks.

I think McCloughan has done things well, but the breaks haven't gone our way this year.

The game was lost on Sunday because the Redskins are suffering from massive injury problems. All teams, of course, have to deal with injuries. However, when a team has to play a game when nearly fifty percent of the opening day starting roster is out, the chances of them winning that game, is low.

If the team was at full strength, I think they could've competed (maybe even won) the game.

Now that I am over the initial doom and gloom, oh my god the season is over, reaction of the loss, I can look at this differently. We are a very injured team. We are in last place. BUT THE SEASON IS NOT OVER, NOR IS IT LOST! We are a game out of first place still. Let me repeat that. WE ARE A GAME OUT OF FIRST PLACE!

We should see a lot of our injured players start to come back. Deangelo is expected back this week as is Culliver. Jackson may make is way back, as well as Reed. Hopefully Trent will be back. Matt Jones hopefully returns after a week off. We need this game against Tampa to stay in this. We win this, we go into the bye and get healthy and ready to play the best team of our generation at their house.

I am still confident. Its not over. This team NEEDS to keep fighting. I don't care if all of Washington says they have no shot. They said they had no shot in 2005. They said the same in 2007. THEY SAID THE SAME IN 2012! Its early. Anything can happen. If this team continues to fight and scratch out a couple of wins, we could still win this division. At the worst, we can be competing for it late in the season, which would be a HUGE step in the right direction, even if the division is awful and is making it easy for us to compete. But we need to see these players fighting for that division late in the season. They need to get that experience so when we are truly ready to compete at a high level, that experience is already there.

I am holding out hope that we can put it together.

We looked better against the Falcons when we shouldn't have and worse against the Jets when we shouldn't have. It's the NFL. Unexpected can always happen. Jets are better than recent years for sure but we made them look invincible that second half.

The Jets added a lot of good players.  They built the Defense with picks and free agents. But to say they are good now is a joke.  We are not good.  We have a good core, but the team is in trouble.  Jay Gruden sucks.  Kirk Cousins sucks.  We don't know what we have with RG3.  So we let RG3 go and he becomes Rich Gannon, or Trent Green. That sounds like the Redskins to me.

It takes the right coach. The Jets have been great in the 2nd half, only allowing 3.5 pts in the 2nd. The Eagles scored 24 in the first half against them but were shutout in the 2nd half. That's great coaching. Bowles credits his players like a good coach should but it's him. There's a quiet confidence about him. He looks the same whether winning or losing. Gruden looks distraught when things aren't going well, like what do I do now? The thing I don't understand is Bowles and Doug Williams are close friends. Williams was part of the organization. Why wasn't Bowles more on the radar?

Got no issue if it comes to moving on from Jay in the off season -- assuming its Scot behind it.  My point though was the Jets were as bad as we were last year and now we are talking about well they are just a much better team.  I do believe they are a much better team but I think a large part of it was a killer off season for them.  You add a big receiver.  You sign 2 big time corners.  You add a better QB.  And its night and day.  Maybe we are one off season from the same?

If only we had a quarterback on his seventh NFL team, we'd be right in this thing.

The Jets are okay. They have a good defense.

But they have feasted on good luck against bad teams this year.

Week One: Josh McNown basically knocks himself out thinking he is a young Randal Cunningham. Johnny Manziel takes over. Jets win.

Week Two: Jets beat the Colts and a possibly crippled Andrew Luck.

Week Three: Jets lose to the 0-2 Eagles, a team we beat.

Week Four: Jets beat the Dolphins in London in a game where the Dolphins were practically staging a sitdown strike.

Week Five: Bye

Week Six: That's us!

I mean, they've won the winnable games on their schedule and 4-1 puts you in a position to make the playoffs. But that schedule couldn't possibly be more favorable.

By the way, the NFL really sucks this year. Look at these teams.

Manziel, An Injured Luck, Bradford, A Quitting Tannehil, and Cousins. I'm not sure they've had to defend a pass that traveled 15 yards in the air yet this year.

You Sir are a knowledgeable genius!

Just have to be after the bye as we have a game Sunday that's gonna' have me missing most the Buccs game. 

Hail. 

Like with the Redskins saddled with injuries (no Sturridge, Ings, Benteke, Henderson, etc) but Klopp has no excuses -- I love his references of playing "wild" and he wants his team to play more in the style of heavy metal than symphony (Wenger style) .   We need a lot of that here.  Some fun and oomph.   :)

that's great perspective Destino ... it really its. 

What pisses me off, is this Jets team was 4-12 last year, no QB to speak of, brand new first time head coach. Big market, able to dish out some dough.  Sound familiar? 

Why in the hell are they on fire and Gruden and Co. are duds after almost a year and a half.  By all accounts, the owner of the Jets is a big jerk to right? 

I don't know ... seems like Bowles really has stuff together. I know, I know, so did Zorn his first year, but hell, this Jets team is a real bear and they did this turnaround quick.  WHY NOT US? 

that's great perspective Destino ... it really its.

What pisses me off, is this Jets team was 4-12 last year, no QB to speak of, brand new first time head coach. Big market, able to dish out some dough. Sound familiar?

Why in the hell are they on fire and Gruden and Co. are duds after almost a year and a half. By all accounts, the owner of the Jets is a big jerk to right?

I don't know ... seems like Bowles really has stuff together. I know, I know, so did Zorn his first year, but hell, this Jets team is a real bear and they did this turnaround quick. WHY NOT US?

I think part of it is, we only just got a true GM.

But, it's not like there's no talent- we have some.

and they've played a relatively easy schedule.

I can't get with the injury talk from some posters and how it was a major reason why skins lost. I can understand a TV personality who doesn't watch the games point to those kind of facts, but a fan watching last weekend's game must realize the Skins had every opportunity to win the game. The NFL is a week to week league and Skins blew the opportunities to build a solid in first half. Again!

I can't get with the injury talk from some posters and how it was a major reason why skins lost. I can understand a TV personality who doesn't watch the games point to those kind of facts, but a fan watching last weekend's game must realize the Skins had every opportunity to win the game. The NFL is a week to week league and Skins blew the opportunities to build a solid in first half. Again!

The fact is, injuries are a problem. You can't get around that.

The Redskins went into this game without its starting LT, LG, C, FS, both starting CBs, their top WR, their two best TEs, their #2 RB. Not to mention the injuries to special teams and specialty players (like Gallette). 

That doesn't mean that ALL the problems the Redskins had with the Jets were injury-related. However, it is a big chunk of it.

Especially when it comes to rotation (which you can't do much when so many are out).

Like with the Redskins saddled with injuries (no Sturridge, Ings, Benteke, Henderson, etc) but Klopp has no excuses -- I love his references of playing "wild" and he wants his team to play more in the style of heavy metal than symphony (Wenger style) . We need a lot of that here. Some fun and oomph. :)

Best not derail here with pesky soccer talk to irk the natives (waves at LKB); but honestly can't remember being this excited, optimistic and can't wait to be at the game again rather than being flat, utterly depressed and hating going not knowing WTF was going to happen! Our cycles coming around again lid.

I even think I'm now half German but it's still to be proven ha ha.

#magicalpowerofthenormalone

Hail.

They have a journeyman at QB and really their talent level is not that much better than ours.

I think their talent level is way above ours.

O line: D'Brickishaw, Carpenter, Nick Mangold, Willie Colon, Giacommini. Trent could probably start for anyone but D'Brickishaw is no slouch. Nobody else from our line even when healthy would start on their line.

WR: Which one of our WRs would start over Marshall or Decker? Perhaps Jackson when healthy.

RB: I'd take Ivory over our guys all day. Guy runs angry and has good speed.

TE: Reed when healthy but..

QB: Fitzpatrick all day. Think about how bad that is.

CB: Revis and Cromartie. Breeland doesn't start over either of those two.

D Line: Muhammad Wilkerson, Damon Harris, Leonard Williams. We might be close in this facet. Hatcher has been good, I might consider him over rookie Leonard Williams.

OLB: Neither Murphy or Kerrigan start for me over Couples or Pace.

I'm too lazy to go on with the ILB and Safties. Perhaps Robinson could start for the Jets.

I think they have more talent across the board, including at QB.

Archived