Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Guess that's your way of saying "gee, I guess I was wrong about my claim that nobody wants ant changes to existing laws"?

I guess it is Larry. Laws and attitudes are tricky things. Being fine with a background check does not necessarily mean I think you should not be able to buy an AR-15 if you want one.

Edited by Painkiller

You don't really think it's so simple as that.

This is a debate in which everything is boiled down to the most simplistic hunk of bull**** that can be swallowed.

t the top of (my) page, TWA thanks Obama for record gun sales because people have been afraid of confiscation.

Wayne LaPierre has his members convinced it's going to happen.

to paraphrase him just before Obama's re-election.

"He hasn't come for them yet, but he WILL as soon as he's re-elected!!!"

Fear based sales tactics and these suckers eat it up like candy.

You'd really REALLY have to be pretty ****ing stupid to buy into any of it, because a very simple check would show the only two pieces of national gun legislation that has passed in Obama's entire 8 years have expanded carrying rights into National parks and onto trains.

But when one half readily believes easy lies like 'Here he comes! Oooga Booga!"..  well, we see why sales have skyrocketed.

and the worst part of all of it is,,, these are ALSO the same people who demand 'fiscal responsibility".

Terrified into spending millions on guns they have not needed to stop the hoards of confiscators that never have and still do not exist.. and STILL believing it.

You really have to be a special kind of moron to continue to buy into these sales pitches.

Scared of shadows, angry at phantoms, jumping where they're told to jump like good little automatons.

Believing they want less control exerted on their lives by outsides, all the while dancing exactly the way they're told, putting their feet exactly where they're told.

Obama's presidency resulted in expanded rights and record sales.

And the worst part of all of that is that so long as a democrat holds any office anywhere, this sales pitch will continue to work.

Ignorance..  it's what LaPierre counts on to make his masters money.

Record sales is an indictment of the stupidity and gullibility of the buying public, not Obama.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

C'mon, Bang.

Remember Sandy Hook? One would think, the worst possible case of gun violence, ever?

Near as I can tell, the only legislation that came from that tragedy, was that Georgia made it legal to bring guns into schools, bars, and government buildings.

Because, as we all know, the gun grabbers are going to exploit that tragedy, to push their agenda. And the gun nuts have to defend themselves.

• Like 2

Meanwhile Colt filed for bankruptcy

They crossed the NRA.

During a 1998 Washington Post interview, CEO Ron Stewart stated that he would favor a federal permit system with training and testing for gun ownership. This led to a massive grass-roots boycott of Colt's products by gun stores and US gun owners.[58]

But AR-15s look scary. Scary things should be illegal.

Or ... things designed for the battlefield should be limited to the battlefield.

In the words of Gen. Stanley McChrystal

“I spent a career carrying typically either an M16 or an M4 Carbine. An M4 Carbine fires a .223 caliber round which is 5.56 mm at about 3000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed for that,” McChrystal explained. “That’s what our soldiers ought to carry. I personally don’t think there’s any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets and particularly around the schools in America.”

Edited by Corcaigh

Someone from the WV government was being played on WTOP and he said something along the lines of:

This will deter crime because now anyone can carry a gun.

I don't know, I feel like the % of law abiding, well intending, proficient (using that word loosely) gun carriers probably will not go up in any significant way over the next 5 years.

But I bet the % of dip****s, with little or no practice/training, and/or up to no good will skyrocket.

Of course, maybe the net result will be criminals killing other criminals, and we'll be better for it in the long run.

Hope it passes.

Maryland proposed bills to ensure that domestic violence abusers hand over their guns

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/saving-womens-lives-in-maryland/2016/03/05/ff680ed6-e248-11e5-8d98-4b3d9215ade1_story.html?utm_content=buffer55321&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Under the measures sponsored by Del. Will Smith (D-Montgomery) and Sen. Jamie Raskin (D-Montgomery), judges would be required to notify anyone disqualified from owning a gun as a result of a domestic violence conviction that he is permanently barred from having or buying a gun, give him 48 hours to transfer all guns to police or a licensed gun dealer and show proof at court within five days that he’s done so.

Hope it passes.

Maryland proposed bills to ensure that domestic violence abusers hand over their guns

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/saving-womens-lives-in-maryland/2016/03/05/ff680ed6-e248-11e5-8d98-4b3d9215ade1_story.html?utm_content=buffer55321&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Under the measures sponsored by Del. Will Smith (D-Montgomery) and Sen. Jamie Raskin (D-Montgomery), judges would be required to notify anyone disqualified from owning a gun as a result of a domestic violence conviction that he is permanently barred from having or buying a gun, give him 48 hours to transfer all guns to police or a licensed gun dealer and show proof at court within five days that he’s done so.

But how will they know what guns that person has to ensure they are all turned over?  It's not like there is a list or registry of all the gun owners and  what they have.  Or is there?  Maybe a secret list?  That's how Obama is going to come take all our guns!!  I knew it !!!

But how will they know what guns that person has to ensure they are all turned over?  It's not like there is a list or registry of all the gun owners and  what they have.  Or is there?  Maybe a secret list?  That's how Obama is going to come take all our guns!!  I knew it !!!

If a law like this is passed I wouldn't mind there being an inspection associated with it. Sure, there are relatively easy ways to get around it (have a friend hold your guns for you for a few weeks, buy one immediately after the inspection, or other means,) but trying to get guns out of the hands of child abusers, wife abusers, or husband abusers seems a good thing to me.

Enforcement is the chief problem. The idea is sound.

If a law like this is passed I wouldn't mind there being an inspection associated with it. Sure, there are relatively easy ways to get around it (have a friend hold your guns for you for a few weeks, buy one immediately after the inspection, or other means,) but trying to get guns out of the hands of child abusers, wife abusers, or husband abusers seems a good thing to me.

Enforcement is the chief problem. The idea is sound.

So a permanent loss of constitutional rights for misdemeanor convictions?

• Like 1

So a permanent loss of constitutional rights for misdemeanor convictions?

Yep.

Frankly, to me child abuse or spousal abuse is not a minor thing and patterns of abuse often escalate. So yes, you raise your hand to someone to such a degree that you are convicted of abuse I have no qualms about you losing the "right" to a firearm.

You're no longer a defender. You're an offender.