Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

One more responsible gun owner.

In the meantime, 25,000 petitioners are asking to be allowed to bring their guns to the RNC. CPAC previously said no. RNC likely will too.

They're all for absolute gun freedom unless it means in their house.

Edited by Burgold

Just being a stickler for details, I wish people would learn the difference between automatic weapons and semi-automatic weapons.  The title says auto, while the article then says semi-auto.  There actually is a big difference.  The two are not interchangeable. 

And this guy is an idiot. 

Just being a stickler for details, I wish people would learn the difference between automatic weapons and semi-automatic weapons.  The title says auto, while the article then says semi-auto.  There actually is a big difference.  The two are not interchangeable. 

And this guy is an idiot. 

It's already been changed to:  Man loses leg shooting rifle at lawn mower packed with explosives

And anyways, while those 2 things may not be interchangeable, it makes zero difference to anything material in the story.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz

And anyways, while those 2 things may not be interchangeable, it makes zero difference to anything material in the story.  

Maybe to you it makes zero difference.  But I know that any idiot can buy a semi-auto rifle while there is a lot of leg work to LEGALLY own an auto rifle.  And usually someone that does that leg work is a lot more savvy with weapons and their dangers.  So someone doing that with a semi-auto isn't surprising while someone doing it with a full auto is a little more surprising.  And like I said, stickler for details.  Especially in a thread where the main topic is guns.

One more responsible gun owner.

In the meantime, 25,000 petitioners are asking to be allowed to bring their guns to the RNC. CPAC previously said no. RNC likely will too.

They're all for absolute gun freedom unless it means in their house.

I'm not convinced it's just right wing convention go-ers petitioning for guns.

I think this is probably a good example of democrats doing something as stupid as what they always think of their rivals, stuffing the petition to make a point about hypocrisy...  and if they did get guns allowed, chances are pretty good something terrible would happen.

There's a simple reason why guns are not allowed at conventions.

Assassins can then carry them inside the building. Security would be impossible.

They absolutely could not guarantee anyone's safety attending the convention, and insurance on the venue probably won't allow it. I have to think the potential for even non-gun related violence at this summer's convention is already causing plenty of security concerns.

One thing i am growing bothered by is the militance on the side of the anti-Trump crowd, in particular. I think protest is fine, vehement protest is fine..  but trying to shut down legal events is also trying to shut down our process. Encouraging or inviting violence leads only to escalations of violence. People think it's a game, something to laugh about and play rivals on the internet. 

Bullets start flying and we've got a civil war being born.

we always shudder to make comparisons to the Nazis and such, but let's see how it looks when supporters of our various candidates take to brawling opponents at campaign events.

Besides, I think the best way to discredit a loudmouth asshole is usually to let them talk.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

There's a simple reason why guns are not allowed at conventions.

Assassins can then carry them inside the building. Security would be impossible.

They absolutely could not guarantee anyone's safety attending the convention, and insurance on the venue probably won't allow it.

~Bang

Don't disagree, but this in itself is the argument for gun control whether it be at an RNC, inside a school, a church or other. Gun advocates argue they should be allowed to carry their guns everywhere and it can only possibly improve safety. Yet in real world situations, even the gun control guys blanch.

Maybe to you it makes zero difference.  But I know that any idiot can buy a semi-auto rifle while there is a lot of leg work to LEGALLY own an auto rifle.  And usually someone that does that leg work is a lot more savvy with weapons and their dangers.  So someone doing that with a semi-auto isn't surprising while someone doing it with a full auto is a little more surprising.  And like I said, stickler for details.  Especially in a thread where the main topic is guns.

Again, #1, it has already been changed so your continued dedication to the details in now entirely moot and pointless.  #2, Shooty McNo-Leg could have packed the lawnmower with explosives and shot it with a muzzle-loading black powder rifle, it doesn't change the story, which is "Guy Packs Lawnmower with Explosives, Doesn't Read Directions, Losses Leg on Camera."  

Don't disagree, but this in itself is the argument for gun control whether it be at an RNC, inside a school, a church or other. Gun advocates argue they should be allowed to carry their guns everywhere and it can only possibly improve safety. Yet in real world situations, even the gun control guys blanch.

They also insist that all (white) gun owners are "responsible gun owners."  

Again, #1, it has already been changed so your continued dedication to the details in now entirely moot and pointless.  #2, Shooty McNo-Leg could have packed the lawnmower with explosives and shot it with a muzzle-loading black powder rifle, it doesn't change the story, which is "Guy Packs Lawnmower with Explosives, Doesn't Read Directions, Losses Leg on Camera."  

#1  It hadn't been changed at the time of my initial post so you can't fault me for pointing it out.  #2 maybe it doesn't make a difference to you but I was explaining why it did make a difference to ME.

But you are right in that it has now been changed and the guy is still an idiot. 

Wish I had a better link than the moonie times. Hate to give them any traffic..but.

Screen_Shot_2016-03-30_at_10.58.16_AM_s8

Screen_Shot_2016-03-30_at_11.02.11_AM_s8

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/30/smartphone-handgun-by-ideal-conceal-virtually-unde/

Double-barreled handgun that looks like a smartphone is ‘virtually undetectable’

Kirk Kjellberg, a self-proclaimed “serial inventor” from Minnesota, says he’ll start selling a .380-caliber pistol later this year that’s designed to resemble an ordinary, pocket-sized smart phone when it’s not in use.

“In today’s day and age, carrying a concealed pistol has become a necessity,” his company, Ideal Conceal, states on its website. “But what if you didn’t have to conceal?”

Edited by The Evil Genius

Define "necessity" because I ain't never carried a handgun and I'm doing just fine.

How do you expect to defend yourself if you are walking down the street one day and happen to stumble across a Muslim or black man with a bag of skittles?

Edited by skinsfan_1215

were they justified homicides?....some people need killing 

if ya want straightforward  

See now here's where I'm gonna get all philosophical on you. Under what circumstances is homicide justifiable? I would say under the circumstances of being involved in a homicidal situation. Homicide in and of itself is it's own entity. Whether or not it's deadly is dependent upon the victim either dodging a bullet or jumping into it. Homicide doesn't kill people. People do.

Now you might be saying, "but don't you have control over where the bullet is going when you aim the gun?" and the answer is "Most of the time." but then there are extenuating circumstances... wind... name calling. You know like shorty... beaner.. old man. "Hey there shorty, old man, beaner!!!!"

I'm going to end with something a little fun. Here is a random image created by an ink blot. I'm going to show it to you and you tell me the first thing that comes to your mind. 

160px-Rorschach_blot_10.jpg

The correct answer was Neopolitan ice cream

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

How do you expect to defend yourself if you are walking down the street one day and happen to stumble across a Muslim or black man with a bag of skittles?

Challenge them to a rap battle?

Define "necessity" because I ain't never carried a handgun and I'm doing just fine.

Have you never wanted to shoot yourself in the foot at a night club?

• Like 1

Gun shop owner credited with foiling possible mass shooting

Plans for a possible mass shooting may have been foiled, thanks to an alert gun shop owner in Ohio.

John Downs makes his living selling guns, but he may have saved lives by turning down a customer, reports CBS News correspondent Adriana Diaz.

"He kind of had his finger on the trigger like he was going to, you know, use it," Downs said.

Last Monday, 25-year-old James Howard withdrew from his classes at Ohio University and allegedly assaulted an assistant hockey coach. Then he drove 30 minutes to Downs's Bait & Guns store. Although Howard had passed a background check, Downs refused to sell him a rifle.

"Just the look in his eye... there was something about him," Downs said. "I don't know. You really can't explain it. He was going to do something. He was going to do something."

Howard returned to the gun shop later that day, but Downs locked the door and asked a customer to call 911.

Hocking County Sheriff's deputies located Howard's car one mile away at a Walmart. A gun was found in the back seat.

"When we arrived, he had almost 50 rounds of 20-gauge shot gun shell ammunition ready to purchase," Sheriff Lanny North said.

According to the Athens County prosecutor, "Howard was found in possession of a firearm while allegedly being drug dependent or in danger of becoming drug dependent. The firearm was purchased after he allegedly made a false statement on his background check form."

North believes Downs probably saved lives.

"We don't know what he may have prevented," he said.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

""When we arrived, he had almost 50 rounds of 20-gauge shot gun shell ammunition ready to purchase," Sheriff Lanny North said."

To be fair, that's not even a lot.  That's like, 2 standard boxes.  You'd go through that in less than an hour shooting clays.

""When we arrived, he had almost 50 rounds of 20-gauge shot gun shell ammunition ready to purchase," Sheriff Lanny North said."

To be fair, that's not even a lot.  That's like, 2 standard boxes.  You'd go through that in less than an hour shooting clays.

Yes but he was drug dependent or in danger of becoming drug dependent. Whatever that means.

I would like to know what the NRA thinks of this story.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Yes but he was drug dependent or in danger of becoming drug dependent. Whatever that means.

Aren't we all? :P

Yeah not saying the guy wasn't planning on doing something bad, but the article makes it sound like he had a lot of ammo queue'd up there when it really sounds like a fairly common (even light) purchase he was about to make.