Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

• 2 weeks later...

The use of guns for self defense is now troublesome I guess:

"The main problem with the notion of self-defense is it imposes on justice, for everyone has the right for a fair trial. Therefore, using a firearm to defend oneself is not legal because if the attacker is killed, he or she is devoid of his or her rights. In addition, one’s mental capacity is a major factor in deciding whether a man or woman has the right to have a firearm. There are two reasons for ensuring mental capacity. First, one of the Five Aims is to ensure domestic tranquility and there can be no tranquility if one does not have the capacity. Second, if one’s brain is distorting his or her reality, they do not have the proper reasoning and deduction skills to use a firearm."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin-curmi-/a-revision-on-the-bill-of_3_b_9772428.html

"The main problem with the notion of self-defense is it imposes on justice, for everyone has the right for a fair trial. Therefore, using a firearm to defend oneself is not legal because if the attacker is killed, he or she is devoid of his or her rights. In addition, one’s mental capacity is a major factor in deciding whether a man or woman has the right to have a firearm. There are two reasons for ensuring mental capacity. First, one of the Five Aims is to ensure domestic tranquility and there can be no tranquility if one does not have the capacity. Second, if one’s brain is distorting his or her reality, they do not have the proper reasoning and deduction skills to use a firearm."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin-curmi-/a-revision-on-the-bill-of_3_b_9772428.html

I'm not surprised people actually think that.

Yeah, that is stupid.

Hey, I've got an idea... Why don't we throw away all of the stupid from BOTH sides and come up with some common sense gun control laws?

It sometimes feels like a game of poker where everyone keeps upping the ante because everyone is afraid they're holding the losing hand.

No one can afford to fold.

Edited by Burgold

that person should be punished for his assault on the english language, first and foremost.   

• Like 1

Toddlers have shot at least 23 people this year

This past week, a Milwaukee toddler fatally shot his mother after finding a handgun in the back seat of the car they were riding in. The case drew a lot of national attention given the unusual circumstances: Little kids rarely kill people, intentionally or not.

But this type of thing happens more often than you might think. Since April 20, there have been at least seven instances in which a 1- , 2- or 3-year-old shot themselves or somebody else in the United States:

On April 20, a 2-year-old boy in Indiana found the gun his mother left in her purse on the kitchen counter and fatally shot himself.

The next day in Kansas City, Mo., a 1-year-old girl evidently shot and killed herself with her father's gun while he was sleeping.

On April 22, a 3-year-old in Natchitoches, La., fatally shot himself after getting hold of a gun.

On April 26, a 3-year-old boy in Dallas, Ga., fatally shot himself in the chest with a gun he found at home.

On April 27, the Milwaukee toddler fatally shot his mother in the car.

That same day, a 3-year-old boy in Grout Township, Mich., shot himself in the arm with a gun he found at home. He is expected to survive.

On April 29, a 3-year-old girl shot herself in the arm after grabbing a gun in a parked car in Augusta, Ga. She is also expected to survive.

Last year, a Washington Post analysis found that toddlers were finding guns and shooting people at a rate of about one a week. This year, that pace has accelerated. There have been at least 23 toddler-involved shootings since Jan. 1, compared with 18 over the same period last year.

This gun looks like a smartphone. McLay, Casey don’t want it on the streets

Police chiefs in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, along with Sen. Robert Casey (D-Pa.), are asking the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives [ATF] to review a concealed handgun in development that is disguised as a smartphone.

The product, which is being manufactured by Minnesota-based Ideal Conceal, poses a threat to police and the public, especially children, according to a Thursday letter to the ATF’s deputy director.

“The last thing we need is a weapon that people will routinely, almost in every case mistake for a smartphone,” Casey said on a call with reporters, adding that he hopes the ATF can keep the weapon from ever getting to market.

smartphone_gun.png?itok=dq-_Fwo5

Click on the link for the full article

This gun looks like a smartphone. McLay, Casey don’t want it on the streets

Police chiefs in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, along with Sen. Robert Casey (D-Pa.), are asking the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives [ATF] to review a concealed handgun in development that is disguised as a smartphone.

Not sure I agree with that.

Part of me says that people supposedly have a concealed carry permit, and it's a concealed weapon.

Although the other part of me imagines myself facing a cop with a drawn gun, ordering me to slowly withdraw my cell phone with my left hand, and throw it away from me, on the concrete. And other people getting shot because they had a cell phone.

That could potentially open up a whole new can of worms when it comes to officer shootings and excuses. "He was only holding his cell phone!"  "Yeah, well, there are cell phone looking guns now so I felt my life was in immediate danger so I shot him"

That could potentially open up a whole new can of worms when it comes to officer shootings and excuses. "He was only holding his cell phone!"  "Yeah, well, there are cell phone looking guns now so I felt my life was in immediate danger so I shot him"

Gives new meaning to "Look out!  He's got a cell phone!"  :)

• Like 1

no different than now....obey and live

maybe

no different than now....obey and live

maybe

Yeah but that gives them so much extra possible cover. They wouldn't even need to pretend that a person tried to grab their weapon or even have an obvious gun or knife or whatever. They could just say "well, it looked like a cell phone but there are guns now that look exactly like cell phones so I had to be safe and I was in fear of my life so I shot him"

put ya cell phone away,it's a privilege not a right 

You have the right to record a police officer in public, like if you're pulled over. Should everyone have to buy a GoPro? I could see multiple ways that cops could abuse this potential for someone having a gun that looks like a cell phone.

You have the right to record a police officer in public, like if you're pulled over. Should everyone have to buy a GoPro? I could see multiple ways that cops could abuse this potential for someone having a gun that looks like a cell phone.

I can think of multiple scenarios where cops and others lives are at risk for someone having a gun that looks like a cell phone.

I can think of multiple scenarios where cops and others lives are at risk for someone having a gun that looks like a cell phone.

Agreed. I'm not advocating for the phone. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of it giving bad cops extra cover so they can say, ex post facto, that they shot the person because they had a cell phone and, well, guns can look like cell phones now.

not if it interferes or presents a threat.

OBEY  ;)

Yeah, and that can be abused as well, by cops who just don't want anyone recording what they're doing. "You're interfering with my investigation" is a catch-all that can be used in situations where the person was absolutely not interfering by simply recording their interaction.

You really have to have the tiniest of ****s if you have to view everything as "how can i make it into a gun"

there really isn't any reasonable purpose to a cel phone gun other than to give more opportunity for mayhem.

People who make these again are going to say that "we support your rights".. when what they are really doing is helping to make it harder for law to be enforced and to be effective.

Frankly, i can't wait for Fisher Price to start making toddler toys that are actually guns.

~Bang

2 People Hurt In Accidental Shooting At Kansas Graduation Ceremony

Two people were hurt in an accidental shooting at Augusta High School's graduation ceremony in southern Kansas, CBS affiliate KWCH reported.

Augusta Police Chief Tyler Brewer said Sunday afternoon that the shooting was accidental and described it as a "knucklehead situation."

The shooting happened as people were filing into the football stadium for the graduation.

A man's concealed gun accidentally discharged when he was sitting in the bleacher's of Hillier Stadium, where the outdoor commencement was held.

Police said a bullet from the gun hit the man, then, the bullet or shrapnel ricocheted about 50 feet and hit a woman who was standing under the press box, KWCH reported.

Police told KWCH the gun owner has a permit, and was carrying a small, semi-automatic gun in his sock. The gun in his sock was uncomfortable and he was apparently adjusting it when it went off.

The man was reported to have accidentally shot himself in the right foot and was able to drive himself to a hospital. The woman was taken to Wesley Medical Center in serious condition after suffering a wound to the calf, KWCH reported.

Click on the link for the full article