Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

I admire the level-headed replies in here, but I'm not there right now. I don't mean any offense to law-abiding citizens who carry guns and act like responsible members of our great society, but I'm ready for a full-out gun ban. I concede that I'm not smart enough to figure out the logistics of carrying it out. But I also know that hundreds of very smart people make a very good salary to determine things like that. 

At the end of the day, yes, you can kill someone with a baseball bat, a knife, or your bare hands...but with those items you can't in a matter of moments end the lives of 30 people, destroy the lives of their loved ones, and terrify scores of other victims who were "lucky" enough to only be injured and traumatized for the rest of their lives. 

If I woke up tomorrow of news that every local police department was coming to door to door to disarm the nation, I'd be a happy man. Again, I'm sorry to all the people who don't contribute to this problem (and might legitimately save a loved one from one of these bad guys by having guns), but I'd rather somehow hit the reset button. 

Do you know why nothing gets done? It's because gun owners and the lobby are powerful. It's because any kind of restriction, for the public good, is seen as an infringement on second amendment rights. No one is trying to take your gun away. We just want stricter background checks. What does that have to do with taking your gun away? How does that infringe on second amendment rights, to make sure crazy people don't get guns? 

I always found it hilarious how the gun industry was so averse to closing the background check loophole at gun shows too. There are a lot of holes that need to be fixed. 

You say "we" like that is all every person advocating for gun control wants.  But there are people out there that want a lot more gun control than just better background checks.  I am a gun owner and a pretty hard core defendant of gun rights.  It is a big thing I look at when voting.  I have no problem with better background checks.  But there are people that are proposing a lot more.  So please don't just say that is all "we" want.

The real problem is politicians don't compromise any more.  We can debate why that is but it has been shown that reasonable people can come to a reasonable agreement.  I believe it was Bang (could have been someone else) and myself who are on very different ends of this argument came to a reasonable agreement in like 15 minutes in this thread a while ago. 

If I woke up tomorrow of news that every local police department was coming to door to door to disarm the nation, I'd be a happy man. Again, I'm sorry to all the people who don't contribute to this problem (and might legitimately save a loved one from one of these bad guys by having guns), but I'd rather somehow hit the reset button. 

You shouldn't be to happy about that idea considering it would probably lead to some form of civil war.  Right or wrong, there are a lot of crazies out there.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

Nope. Nope. The people have spoken. Their answer? A resounding "Yes!" to the violence and "Yes!" to the blood. The massacres will go on uniterrupted. Deal with it.

Sadly, no they haven't. The gun lobby has. The rest of your statement is correct though.

I said here a long time ago that the real danger to gun rights is the possibility that they would one day be a massacre so horrific with so many people killed that we would then see an outright gun ban. Sadly it appears I was wrong. I doubt this makes one bit of difference and it won't do anything to budge the position of the gun lobby that writes the laws for our so-called representatives.

As I just posted in another thread: we haven't eaten outside our home in at least 6 months. Probably longer.

I pick up whatever we need on the way home & we stay at home.

Who's the hostage?

You spend a third of your life working in a restaurant but won't go out to eat?

There is a difference here, you are choosing to be a hostage.

• Like 1

**** additional background checks. I want assault rifles and handguns banned. I'd prefer all guns being banned but I can compromise. Can you?

I've already compromised....good luck with a ban

• Like 1

ARs will never be outlawed....

best folks who don't like guns can hope for is the process to get one being made a LOT more stringent.

the shooter apparently used an AR-15. I own an AR-15. I'm sorry some hateful nutcase used one to kill a bunch of people with his, but its not going to make me get rid of mine .

**** additional background checks. I want assault rifles and handguns banned. I'd prefer all guns being banned but I can compromise. Can you?

I'm a gun owner myself, and I'm actually at a point where I'm fine with an assault weapons ban. Handguns not so much. However any such ban would have to be written in such a way that there wouldn't be the kind of loopholes that were in the Brady Bill. Sadly, even if such a ban were to somehow miraculously pass, it really wouldn't make a difference for several generations because there are so many guns already owned.

an all out ban on assault rifles would create domestic terrorists....no?

you thought the weirdos in Oregon were nuts due to the cattle grazing issue, can you imagine what would happen nationwide if you tried to ban and confiscate every AR in the country?! seriously, have you guys thought about it?

there are plenty of nutcase militia men in this country that would rather die than actually have Obama come takes their guns. you'd have gunfights all across the country.

and I don't feel like I'm reaching by saying that

When I was talking about a ban, I meant on sales, not ownership for precisely the scenario you describe. OTOH, if they want to make their last stands that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for the country to be rid of most of them. And yes, I do realize they'd take others with them.

• Like 1

an all out ban on assault rifles would create domestic terrorists....no?

you thought the weirdos in Oregon were nuts due to the cattle grazing issue, can you imagine what would happen nationwide if you tried to ban and confiscate every AR in the country?! seriously, have you guys thought about it?

there are plenty of nutcase militia men in this country that would rather die than actually have Obama come takes their guns. you'd have gunfights all across the country.

and I don't feel like I'm reaching by saying that

Your exactly right it's impossible at this point in time. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it happen.

• Like 1

Sadly, even if such a ban were to somehow miraculously pass, it really wouldn't make a difference for several generations because there are so many guns already owned.

Think that's bad?  Wait until 3D printers are cheap and people are making plastic automatic weapons left and right.

Think that's bad?  Wait until 3D printers are cheap and people are making plastic automatic weapons left and right.

plastics will need to advance greatly, the toy guns will not go beyond singleshot