Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

So happy we have all these guns so our rookie RB can be shot. Sorry but I can’t vent in the stadium so here I go. Love me some ****ing guns. 

Your post has nothing to do with gun control.  Take this elsewhere.   Why can't you vent in the Stadium?  It's a team issue.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

So happy we have all these guns so our rookie RB can be shot. Sorry but I can’t vent in the stadium so here I go. Love me some ****ing guns. 

Well blame your president and all the democrat run cities that allow criminals to run the streets..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Both I and my wife have used our concealed weapons to save ourselves on two separate occasions. My wife in Fredericksburg VA in 1990 where she stopped a perv attack on herself and helped the police apprehend the 250Lb dude- she was 5 ft nothing and  100#. She testified at his trial where he had also assaulted 7 other women in the area. In 2004 in Florida,  I stopped a group who attacked me in my car. I was able to hold one at gun point after he struck me. The police took over after I called for assistance once I had the station under control.

People who don't see the need for self protection have never felt the fear of facing a predator unarmed.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Both I and my wife have used our concealed weapons to save ourselves on two separate occasions. My wife in Fredericksburg VA in 1990 where she stopped a perv attack on herself and helped the police apprehend the 250Lb dude- she was 5 ft nothing and  100#. She testified at his trial where he had also assaulted 7 other women in the area. In 2004 in Florida,  I stopped a group who attacked me in my car. I was able to hold one at gun point after he struck me. The police took over after I called for assistance once I had the station under control.

People who don't see the need for self protection have never felt the fear of facing a predator unarmed.

What guns did you and your wife use?  Plenty of people have no problem with law abiding citizens having guns for self defense.  They don't see why some of these weapons being used in mass shootings are necessary for self defense purposes.  

It’s a fascinating component of human psychology that the vast majority of what we understand as modern conservatives/christians is just fantastical anecdotes of personal heroism/greatness.

To wit, I once had a coworker who for the most part seemed to be a pretty average, albeit very religious guy.  Turns out, he liked to tell anyone who would listen a story about how he was once a gambling addict deeply indebted to the mob.  But then one day he prayed extra hard and the hand of god reached down and threw him across his basement and forbade him from ever gambling again.  And then the next week his wife got a big bonus from work and he got out of debt and never looked back.

He would tell you this with a straight face while simultaneously extolling the virtues of Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin.

26 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

250 pound serial assaulter?  Holy **** dude…your superhero wife caught Donald Trump!!!

Edited by TradeTheBeal!

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Why can't you vent in the Stadium?  It's a team issue

His post was political in nature

Even if it’s most benign it’d start something. 

look what it did here 😂 

44 minutes ago, bearrock said:

What guns did you and your wife use?  Plenty of people have no problem with law abiding citizens having guns for self defense.  They don't see why some of these weapons being used in mass shootings are necessary for self defense purposes.  

I’m guessing the guys that shot Robinson Jr were using handguns

Edited by tshile

12 hours ago, bh32 said:

Well blame your president and all the democrat run cities that allow criminals to run the streets..

Yes they are the ones pushing for MORE guns. 

Meanwhile the supreme court overturned DC laws but you don't seem to know about that or wouldn't have said the following, in the stadium where it doesn't belong:

"Well that is what happens when law abiding people aren't allowed to open or conceal carry firearms in DC"

DC residents are allowed to conceal carry now, and don't need a reason to do so. 

Here's the thing, we overwhelmingly don't want to carry guns. The so called "good guys with guns" are few and far between here. We see the gun as the problem and not the solution. 

Here's what I see. I see guns being produced in mass quantities and sold in states that don't care for gun control. Then those guns then make their way to cities like DC and Chicago, from states like Maryland, Virginia, Indiana and Wisconsin respectively.

Let's Take Hawaii as a control. They aren't bordered by States, so guns can't filter their way into their society like it does in the lower 48.

20 Years After Hawaii's Worst Shooting, Gun Violence Rates Lowest in Nation

20 Years After Hawaii's Worst Shooting, Gun Violence Rates Lowest in Nation | Hawai'i Public Radio (hawaiipublicradio.org)

"As Saturday marks the 20th anniversary of Hawaii's worst mass shooting, it's worth noting that the state has some of the strictest gun restrictions in the country and the lowest rate of gun deaths."

That article is from 2019 and thanks to the supreme court, it will probably go in the opposite direction.

This is not a coincidence. They have strict gun laws, and no way to get guns across state lines unless you're a serious smuggler. It's not hard to see what's happening. Gun control works, arming more and more people doesn't.

That's just my opinion though. You're welcome to have yours. 

11 hours ago, bearrock said:

My wife used a S&W 38Spl Ladysmith and I used a Glock 19. We also have many semi-auto rifles and shotguns. Both for hunting and shotguns for skeet/trap (Have to be semi auto for that sport). The AR platform (AR being the Name of the Mfg'r -(ArmaLite Rifle)NOT Assault Rifle) is the most ergonomic platform for women/kids. Light weight, low recoil, pistol grip). Most stock Semi rifles have 5-10 round Magazines. Max of 5 rounds for hunting in many states. So if you want to "limit" capacity..regulate Mag's. BUT it is that capacity that makes the AR platform good for home defense as most home assaults are carried out by a group or gang.

IF the judicial system would simply PROSECUTE existing Federal Gun Laws...these shootings would go away. Most if not ALL Gun possession crimes are NOT Prosecuted but dropped. That is why these guys are back on the street doing it again and again.

Admiring the post announcing that semiauto shotguns are required for trap and skeet, then jumping to why AR-15s are ergonomic for women and children. While sanctimoniously informing the imaginary people he's preaching to that AR does not stand for Assault Rifle. 

• Like 1

I don’t think any of the proposed gun control

ideas would do anything to help with someone getting shot while being carjacked. 

I mean the rants are cute but realistically I haven’t seen anything proposed that would do anything about that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t think any of the proposed gun control

ideas would do anything to help with someone getting shot while being carjacked. 

I mean the rants are cute but realistically I haven’t seen anything proposed that would do anything about that. 

The ones passed a year or two ago in Virginia may not stop car jacking but will absolutely have an impact on the flow of handguns into DC and into the hands of people who can't pass a background check.  Enterprising young men with a clean background could buy as many Glocks as they wanted each trip to the Nation's Gunshow and then "private sell" to their friends. At a markup of course. 

Gun control is so often about semiautomatic rifles because that's what frequently used in the "spectacular" attacks. 

I would bet that the handgun these 15-17 year olds used were first legally purchased here in VA. Whatever can make that not so easy may not stop it but will make it less frequent

• Thanks 1

Also the people saying “blah blah if he was carrying a gun blah blah”

I don’t know what DC’s self defense laws are but generally their gun laws are stricter than VA. And I’m VA you don’t have the right to use deadly force to protect property. You’ll get booked for murder, or whatever the appropriate charge is given the outcome. 

Without knowing whether the gun was out from the start or whether it came out after he confronted them, you can’t be sure he doesn’t wind up in jail for pulling a gun. 

Also in Virginia the other person having a gun doesn’t automatically grant you the right to deadly force. The law requires a fear for your life/grave bodily harm to yourself or others. And surely you can imagine a scenario where they have the gun out but objectively his life wasn’t in danger - his property was. 

Any time you pull a gun you’re rolling the dice that you think you’re justified, and that your peers (and police/prosecutors) will agree with you. 

11 hours ago, tshile said:

I don’t know how anyone could say with any level of certainty where the guns are coming from. 

my understanding is the people researching it struggle mightily on that specific aspect and are left making vague guesses. 

Really? They are generally serial numbered. And licensed dealers record transfers. So it isn't difficult at all to identify the origin of a recovered firearm in most cases

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tshile said:

I don’t know how anyone could say with any level of certainty where the guns are coming from. 

my understanding is the people researching it struggle mightily on that specific aspect and are left making vague guesses. 

Yeah I don’t know about this. It seems with certainty that guns used in crimes in DC are coming from Virginia and Maryland. 

1. DC doesn’t manufacture firearms.

2. DC doesn’t sell firearms, I can only find one place that does transfers. 
3.https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-is-awash-in-illegal-guns-how-do-you-think-they-get-there/2019/10/07/01493180-e934-11e9-85c0-85a098e47b37_story.html

“Overwhelmingly, overwhelmingly, the guns come from Virginia,” said D.C. Council member Charles Allen (D-Ward 6). “Maryland is number two, but not that many come from there.”

There were 538 guns seized in the District that came from Virginia in 2017. Last year, it was 599, Allen said. This year, it will be even more.”

If you want to argue about where the guns from Virginia originated that’s seems a pointless debate. 

Living in Chicago I can tell you this was also a big problem with guns coming directly from Indiana. 

If DC were an island in the middle of the Atlantic away from Virginia and Maryland, our strict gun laws would work. But they can’t because of our neighbors. 

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

If DC were an island in the middle of the Atlantic away from Virginia and Maryland, our strict gun laws would work. But they can’t because of our neighbors. 

Hawaii is a good example of that.  A lot more difficult to get firearms across state lines when you can't just load them in the trunk and drive em m

Virginia did pass a one handgun a month law. Which severely limits the ability to load up on cheap guns and then private sell them across the border. That should have positive impacts. 

As much as I support limits on semi automatic rifles they really are a distraction when it comes to reducing gun violence.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Hawaii is a good example of that.  A lot more difficult to get firearms across state lines when you can't just load them in the trunk and drive em m

Virginia did pass a one handgun a month law. Which severely limits the ability to load up on cheap guns and then private sell them across the border. That should have positive impacts. 

As much as I support limits on semi automatic rifles they really are a distraction when it comes to reducing gun violence.

I literally linked an article to Hawaii and their gun control/low gun violence yesterday and correlated it to being in the middle of the ocean. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Really? They are generally serial numbered. And licensed dealers record transfers. So it isn't difficult at all to identify the origin of a recovered firearm in most cases

Have you actually read research reports on gun origins for crimes? 

The underlying problem is how many guns are out there.  The ease of access to them is the underlying problem.

If they weren't "out there" then these criminals would have no way to get their hands on them.  I mean these criminals aren't making these guns themselves - they are stealing them or buying them from someone who stole them, most likely from someone who legally obtained it.

But hey let's not do ANYTHING about it since nothing will 100% solve the problem and there will still be criminals with guns.  Let's just put more legal guns in people's hands.  That seems to have been working just fine...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

The underlying problem is how many guns are out there.  The ease of access to them is the underlying problem.

If they weren't "out there" then these criminals would have no way to get their hands on them.  I mean these criminals aren't making these guns themselves - they are stealing them or buying them from someone who stole them, most likely from someone who legally obtained it.

But hey let's not do ANYTHING about it since nothing will 100% solve the problem and there will still be criminals with guns.  Let's just put more legal guns in people's hands.  That seems to have been working just fine...

As the resident "gun nut", I'll say that until there is a very realistic plan to deal with the vast majority of gun violence, I want to be able to legally carry a firearm with me.  I trust myself to respond with a firearm a lot more than almost anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1