Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

55 minutes ago, Springfield said:

“Good guy with a gun” gets shot up by police while the shooter is on the loose.

Im sure this is working as intended, right?

While I'm not arguing that "good guy with a gun" is a perfect (or even good) idea, there are also examples of it working.  Statements based on a singular incident don't do well.  Because there is always a polar opposite example for the opposition to use.

11 minutes ago, Chew said:

Not that the law requires it, but wouldn't it be common courtesy to let your roomies know you have guns in the house?  Should probably be discussed when moving in.

Probably.  I wonder if you could deny to rent to someone because of that.  What if they agreed to have a lock box for it?  I also wonder about her being told to leave if the lease didn't prohibit guns.  Or told she would have to cover other peoples rent if they chose to leave.  Lease would answer some of this.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Probably.  I wonder if you could deny to rent to someone because of that.  What if they agreed to have a lock box for it?  I also wonder about her being told to leave if the lease didn't prohibit guns.  Or told she would have to cover other peoples rent if they chose to leave.  Lease would answer some of this.

If you can be told no over a cat or a kid,I'm fine with someone saying no to a gun.  It's better to just leave, you rented from wrong crowd, be up front next time or get your own place.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm fairly certain you could deny to rent to someone because of that.  Generally, the only factors that you can't base a rental decision on are: race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age (assuming majority), physical or mental disability and veteran status.  Sexual orientation is an emerging protected class.  Gun ownership status is not one.  

Regarding the other roommates telling her she had to leave, people kick roommates out for all kinds of things, including because they don't do the dishes enough or they have their significant other over too much or other stupid nonsense.  Secretly keeping a deadly weapon in the house seems safely across that line. 

Most leases don't specifically reference guns one way or the other, so they neither prohibit nor allow.  What most lease do have is a "peaceful and quiet enjoyment" clause, which in this case could potentially get litigated, but i think the other roommates have a very solid argument that someone keeping a gun in the house against their wishes violates that.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If you can be told no over a cat or a kid,I'm fine with someone saying no to a gun.  It's better to just leave, you rented from wrong crowd, be up front next time or get your own place.

Leases usually have pet clauses and such so you could say they violated terms of lease.  

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm fairly certain you could deny to rent to someone because of that.  Generally, the only factors that you can't base a rental decision on are: race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, age (assuming majority), physical or mental disability and veteran status.  

Regarding the other roommates telling her she had to leave, people kick roommates out for all kinds of things, including because they don't do the dishes enough or they have their significant other over too much or other stupid nonsense.  Secretly keeping a deadly weapon in the house seems safely across that line. 

Most leases don't specifically reference guns one way or the other, so they neither prohibit nor allow.  What most lease do have is a "peaceful and quiet enjoyment" clause, which in this case could potentially get litigated, but i think the other roommates have a very solid argument that someone keeping a gun in the house against their wishes violates that.  

People may kick roommates out for things but that doesn't mean they are legally allowed to.  Dishes could be called upkeep and significant other could be called an unlawful tenant which most leases have clauses against both.  As for "peaceful and quiet enjoyment" clause, I would bet as long as she kept it secured and wasn't waving it around, they would have a rough time making the case.  Especially once the reason they searched her room came to light.  In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if she could make a case that they were trespassing and file a police complaint.  I'm no lawyer though.

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Leases usually have pet clauses and such so you could say they violated terms of lease.  

People may kick roommates out for things but that doesn't mean they are legally allowed to.  Dishes could be called upkeep and significant other could be called an unlawful tenant which most leases have clauses against both.  As for "peaceful and quiet enjoyment" clause, I would bet as long as she kept it secured and wasn't waving it around, they would have a rough time making the case.  Especially once the reason they searched her room came to light.  In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if she could make a case that they were trespassing and file a police complaint.  I'm no lawyer though.

I don't think they'd have too hard of a time making the case that a gun in the house violates their right to peacefully enjoy the house.  They'd pretty much just need to say that every time gun-owner roommate had a bad day, they subjectively felt that there was a chance she'd go get the gun.  The law is not going to force the other roommates to remain under those conditions.  Gun-owner roomie probably does have a good case that they trespassed, but trespassing does not have significant legal ramifications if you don't steal or break anything.  

Army agent on vacation in New Orleans shot, wounded by state trooper, attorney says

An attorney for a man who was shot by a state trooper early Sunday said her client was a civilian agent with the U.S. Army who was visiting New Orleans, and that he pulled out his gun after feeling threatened by a group of juveniles who were following him.

Meanwhile, the Army's Criminal Investigation Command, or "CID," on Tuesday confirmed that it was investigating after one of its civilian special agents had apparently been shot by a state trooper while the agent was on vacation in the city. The agent is "suspended from all law enforcement duties pending the outcome of the investigation," said a statement from Chis Grey, the CID public affairs chief.

"We take this matter extremely seriously and are closely monitoring the situation," said Grey's statement, which didn't name the agent because he hadn't been booked with a crime. 

A State Police spokeswoman declined to comment on the version of events offered by the agent's lawyer, Elizabeth Carpenter, saying the probe into the shooting in the 800 block of Port of New Orleans Place remained ongoing.

Carpenter said her client had not been drinking for several hours before the incident and was headed back to the hotel when he got lost and noticed “some young kids following (him) trying to intimidate (him).” Eventually, he decided to turn around and pull out a pistol he had in an ankle holster in an effort to frighten them off, Carpenter said.

That’s when, with no warning, her client was shot in the stomach and the knee, Carpenter said. He ended up at University Medical Center, and his wife received a phone call at the hotel informing her that her husband had been shot.

Click on the link for the full article

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Two different convos, before you move in and after you move in.  I'd say the people you move in with have to feel comfortable with who they are living with.  Them finding out and kicking her out tells me she had a feeling they wouldn't like it and that's why she didn't say anything.

Reading it again, she from Alabama with a MAGA hat trying to hid a gun in an apartment with grad students for Harvard in Boston.  Try had no right going through her stuff, she had no right hiding that gun because they have the right to know.  

There has to be more to this story but in typical fix news fashion, its only enough to get their point across.  She probably crossed a line leading for them to find a reason to get her out and found one.  I don't support going through oeoples stuff to accomplish that, so I'll step away and just say if you have a gun and want to live with someone, you tell them before hand not afterward.  If you feel you can't tell them, you shouldn't move in.

• Like 1

Random guy in street clothes who had been drinking in the French Quarter, wandering around lost at 3 am and pulls gun on a group of kids supposedly following him.

What is the State Trooper supposed to do? He sees a guy pull out a gun and point it at a group of people. Split second decision time.

I got real drunk and lost trying to walk from the French Quarter to mid city area and all I had happen was have a shotgun put a few inches from my face when I tried to open a persons back gate (no idea why I did that). I was soo lost and soo drunk. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't think they'd have too hard of a time making the case that a gun in the house violates their right to peacefully enjoy the house.  They'd pretty much just need to say that every time gun-owner roommate had a bad day, they subjectively felt that there was a chance she'd go get the gun.  The law is not going to force the other roommates to remain under those conditions.  Gun-owner roomie probably does have a good case that they trespassed, but trespassing does not have significant legal ramifications if you don't steal or break anything.  

I'd be interested to know the legal answer.  I suspect you are wrong but that is simply based off of my gut.  We have some lawyers here, right?

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Reading it again, she from Alabama with a MAGA hat trying to hid a gun in an apartment with grad students for Harvard in Boston.  Try had no right going through her stuff, she had no right hiding that gun because they have the right to know.  

Do they?  Like from a legal perspective?  

18 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, we have several lawyers here.  I'm one of them.  ;)

Not to derail but I got fired from my job recently. They said I’d been drinking before coming in. I told my coworker to tell them I hadn’t but he wouldn’t vouch for me. Do I have any legal recourse here?

edit: if it matters, I did have a few drinks.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 1