Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

First, did @TheGreatBuzz phone a friend or does he have an alter ego?

Wifey.

Second, as explained in the article, the other roommates claimed that the gun roommate was violating ther rights in the lease. So they, the roommates, effectively kicked her out for violating the lease, even if guns werent specifically mentioned. 

Think why some were on the fence of going in on this topic without seeing what was on the lease that they specifically used to get her out.  Should they versus could they are different conversations.

She kept it a secret. Why woukd she do that unless she knew it would be an issue. That is called a material omission. 

I wasn't there, but usually, stuff like that is intentional.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I live in an RV by myself.  My wife lives in Florida.  It's due to military move crap.

Got it. 

I stopped saying I don't know a bit ago.  I did research.  

Yes, you posted one article by a dabbler, and another one that agreed with me and disagreed with the first one.

Yes.  I haven't mentioned I'm wearing a blue shirt.  Doesn't mean I am keeping it a secret.

Is that really the comparison you are going with?  

@PleaseBlitz I also remember you saying you would just put **** on curb.  Can you show where that would be a legal recourse for the roommates?  

I didnt say it would be legal. I said it was what i would do.  I’m happy to deal with the legal ramifications later, once the person is out, because ive gotten what I want and im fine with arguing about it in court at some future time. 

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yes, you posted one article by a dabbler, and another one that agreed with me and disagreed with the first one.

The second did not agree with what you said.  If you feel it did, please explain.

Is that really the comparison you are going with?

Yup.  I have others if you need it.  How about this, I had a guy over doing some work on my RV.  I didn't tell him I had a gun.  That doesn't mean I was keeping it secret.

I didnt say it would be legal. I said it was what i would do.  I’m happy to deal with the legal ramifications later, once the person is out, because ive gotten what I want and im fine with arguing about it in court at some future time.

Well the restraining order you said you'd get would be difficult.  Need to show that "Defendant placed you in fear of imminent serious physical harm".  I know it is a Blue state but that'd be pushing it assuming again she had it secured and wasn't doing something dangerous with it.  And assuming I didn't just move my **** right back in, you'd probably end up paying damages.  Though the police would probably have something to say about you illegally taking my possessions out of my room and putting them on the street.  I remember a saying about a lawyer representing themselves.  It seems as though it would apply here.

EDIT:  As to the first line, can you provide any reference that shows your position is correct?

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

Similarly, I live in a conceal carry state. I do not announce at the grocery store that I have my gun on me. If something was to happen, would it then be fair to say "I hid the fact I had a gun?"

What about if someone has chlamydia (hypothetically of course single RV dude)? Should they immediately have to disclose to someone (and everyone) to whom may be attracted to them that they have it, or instead is it only necessary to disclose if a relationship seems to be a potential? Where the line is for disclosure varies for all.

Thats why if its something you want to know, you need to ask.

Whenever anyone brings minors to our home we lock up guns and ammo stored elsewhere. And the parents are told there are guns in the home. 

Personally I think all parties involved here failed at adulting and life. 

Should a, would a, could a 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The second did not agree with what you said.  If you feel it did, please explain.

It did. I already quoted it above. 

Yup.  I have others if you need it.  How about this, I had a guy over doing some work on my RV.  I didn't tell him I had a gun.  That doesn't mean I was keeping it secret.

Thats much better, but i still not mentioning to the people you cohabitat with that you are keeping a gun in the house they live in is way more shady. 

Well the restraining order you said you'd get would be difficult.  Need to show that "Defendant placed you in fear of imminent serious physical harm".  I know it is a Blue state but that'd be pushing it assuming again she had it secured and wasn't doing something dangerous with it.  And assuming I didn't just move my **** right back in, you'd probably end up paying damages.  Though the police would probably have something to say about you illegally taking my possessions out of my room and putting them on the street.  I remember a saying about a lawyer representing themselves.  It seems as though it would apply here.

Restraining orders generally arent that tough to get. The roomies are saying they are fearful of the roommate with the gun. Is a judge going to say they dont feel the way they all say they feel?  Doubtful. Paying damages?  Great. We can argue about how much, months later when you’re out. Police arent gonna do a thing other than make sure there isnt an breach of the peace. 

EDIT:  As to the first line, can you provide any reference that shows your position is correct?

Im not doing legal research tonight, can you show im wrong?

Edited by PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The second part of your paragraph you are adding reasons that could impact decisions. So, a landlord cant discriminate against a veteran because they are a veteran, but you could refuse to rent to anyone based on the fact they they have ptsd. 

pretty sure ptsd can be considered a disability

http://www.landlordstation.com/blog/what-disabilities-are-protected-by-federal-regulation/

42 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Is there a difference between keeping it a secret and not mentioning it?  

Is there? I’m asking you because you’re a lawyer. 

I would think the difference is intent, and the question should be does intent matter, not is there a difference. 

12 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Whenever anyone brings minors to our home we lock up guns and ammo stored elsewhere. And the parents are told there are guns in the home. 

This is what responsible people do. 

People give weird looks but I’d want to know. I’d also ask, if it were my kids going to their house. 

11 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Similarly, I live in a conceal carry state. I do not announce at the grocery store that I have my gun on me. If something was to happen, would it then be fair to say "I hid the fact I had a gun?"

Whoa nelly.  Of course not, either there is a sign that says you can't or you know the law saying you can or can't take it in there.

What about if someone has chlamydia (hypothetically of course single RV dude)? Should they immediately have to disclose to someone (and everyone) to whom may be attracted to them that they have it, or instead is it only necessary to disclose if a relationship seems to be a potential? Where the line is for disclosure varies for all.

Are we really comparing disclosure of a gun in a residence to if someone in a relationship has an STD and when to tell them?  You should get both out the way quickly before someone's feelings get anymore hurt then they will be.

Thats why if its something you want to know, you need to ask.

This goes both ways depending on the situation.  If you want to know, you should ask.  Having said that, relying on this strategy can backfire when they find out something you could've told them but didn't because they didn't ask.  This happens all the time, a totally avoidable episode of drama.

But they knew before the kids went over there...

Personally I think all parties involved here failed at adulting and life. 

Should a, would a, could a 

No other way around it, they all look dumb, imo.

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

People give weird looks but I’d want to know. I’d also ask, if it were my kids going to their house. 

Military and florida....the weird looks are usually because it would be odd NOT to be a gun owner. Which I wasn't for a very long time. 

Guns terrified me. I'm still very nervous to carry. 

That's why I like getting involved in these topics, because I think I am very *unique* in my opinion and stance.

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It did. I already quoted it above. 

I went back and looked.  Don't see what you are describing.  Maybe we are reading something differently.

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thats much better, but i still not mentioning to the people you cohabitat with that you are keeping a gun in the house they live in is way more shady. 

I looked around but can't find any laws that reference things being "shady".  Can you help me out there?  

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Restraining orders generally arent that tough to get. The roomies are saying they are fearful of the roommate with the gun. Is a judge going to say they dont feel the way they all say they feel?  Doubtful. Paying damages?  Great. We can argue about how much, months later when you’re out. Police arent gonna do a thing other than make sure there isnt an breach of the peace. 

Can they say anything other than she has a gun in a lock box (assuming that is where it was since I have already stipulated that is an acceptable compromise) and expect that to meet the burden?  Not likely but possible depending on the judge.  If you aren't worried about damages, you should have just paid me to begin with.  And police will absolutely do something about people not authorized into my living area removing my belongings.  Especially if I want to push it.  You could get a restraining order possibly.  That does not give you the right to move my crap out.  That could be an illegal eviction if not theft, etc.

s

18 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Im not doing legal research tonight, can you show im wrong?

I did by posting the articles.  Ball is in your court to show that a roommate (not landlord) could have another roommate kicked out for having a secured firearm.  You have not provided a single relevent article that applied to a similar situation.  You made a claim, now back it up.  

And I'll get a response to it later.  I have to go to bed.  Have a good evening! 

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

Is there? I’m asking you because you’re a lawyer. 

I would think the difference is intent, and the question should be does intent matter, not is there a difference. 

Bad drafting on my part. I meant that people keep secrets by not mentioning things. Those are the same. But you make a good point about intent. Inthink there are 2 considerations. One is, is there intent, as you say. The other is whether it is reasonable for someone in that circumstance to not tell their cohabitants that they are keeping a gun in the house up front. That probably breaks on lines according to your underlying view of guns. If you are an NRA type, then it’s “just a tool” and the person is “a responsible gun owner” (as all gun owners are until they kill someone) and no big deal.  If you are in the other camp, then **** no it’s not reasonable to keep a gun in the house and not ****ing mention it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Whoa nelly.  Of course not, either there is a sign that says you can't or you know the law saying you can or can't take it in there.

Are we really comparing disclosure of a gun in a residence to if someone in a relationship has an STD and when to tell them?  You should get both out the way quickly before someone's feelings get anymore hurt then they will be.

This goes both ways depending on the situation.  If you want to know, you should ask.  Having said that, relying on this strategy can backfire when they find out something you could've told them but didn't because they didn't ask.  This happens all the time, a totally avoidable episode of drama.

But they knew before the kids went over there...

No other way around it, they all look dumb, imo.

Forgive me, I don't know how to break down the quotes to reply piece by piece. 

The STD comparison was to show the blurred line of when your business becomes someone else's business. Notice I said, should one have to disclose to anyone that may be attracted to them, not that they are attracted to. Must it be disclosed so early on, to prevent someone for falling for them without the full picture? Or should it only be disclosed once applicable and necessary? We can revisit the drug comparison - if one was a recovering opioid addict, it would be good practice to tell potential roommates "please no medicines, even prescribed, as not a good fit". The same way a legal marijuana smoker SHOULD disclose this as well. 

Also I should point out that I do not inform adults of guns in home. These roommates were all adults. 

Random roommates are never a good idea, and never end well. Yes, I said never.

Again, she SHOULD have disclosed the gun. They SHOULD have asked if there'd be guns. But neither did, and that's why we read about it in the news.

• Like 1

Teen who accidentally shot herself in foot with AK-47 to be charged with burglary

A Texas teen shot herself in the foot with an allegedly stolen AK-47 that she had stuffed down her pants, according to police.

Police responded to the scene of the shooting in Harris County on Tuesday at around 4:15 p.m. They found three teens: two 17-year-old females and a 16-year-old male.

Preliminary reports and witness statements indicated that the male had taken the AK-47 from his home and that the teens were handling the gun when one of the females accidentally pulled the trigger, shooting herself in the leg, according to Constable Mark Herman of Harris County Precinct 4.

Further investigation determined that the gun had been stolen, he told ABC News.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

Police: Utah man fires 15 shots at roommates after drunkenly knocking over Christmas tree

FRANCIS, Utah -- A man was arrested after police say he knocked over a roommate's Christmas tree while intoxicated and then fired about 15 shots from a handgun at two people inside the home.

According to the Summit County Sheriff's Office, the incident occurred Sunday at a home on Spring Hollow Road in Francis, which is a small town on the western edge of Summit County.

Police say the homeowner and his son were in their kitchen when a roommate, identified as 56-year-old Randal Weed Dickinson, "was highly intoxicated in the residence and fell onto the Christmas tree while attempting to cross the living room."

The other residents told the man to go back to his room because he was drunk, and police say he responded by firing about 15 shots from a handgun at the homeowner and his son.

The bullets struck appliances and went through walls but no one was hit by the gunfire.

The other two residents disarmed Dickinson after he had discharged all of the ammunition in his weapon and then pinned him until police arrived.

Click on the link for the full article

On 12/10/2018 at 5:37 PM, visionary said:

Reminder me of when DC came up with the "Top Gun"program which ...

The month-old Top Gun Award Program will pay officers who seize more than three weapons $100 for every gun confiscated if the seizure is accompanied by an arrest. The officer who seizes the most guns by the end of this year -- the "Top Gun" -- will get a seven-day, all-expenses-paid cruise for two people. Initially, the program will last through Dec. 31.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1994/10/21/in-dc-officers-can-win-cash-prizes-for-top-gun-arrests/0597512d-3d6d-4f80-a9ff-994c9c5cde74/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.42152d0a9be5

^^ this was from 1994.

What happened? Police started pulling over every car they saw targeting black men. If they found a gun, they made up a BS reason for the stop and search. If they didnt have a gun .."we are so sorry for the inconvenience, you may go on your way".

People who only get a warning from a cop in SE DC dont complain even though their constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure was just violated. 

Proud to say i worked on an excessive force case in Federal Court and took down one of the biggest abusers of the top gun program.

edit --- this program is not like the top gun program.

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?
  • Sad 1