Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

53 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

1.  Nothing, initially. Ammo can only be used once, unless your skilled.

2.  Its it’s a first step. It might take 10-15 years to have an affect.

3.  you close the gun shops, that’s all that’s required. 

4.  Guided hunting with temporary gun licenses. A rental, if you will.

5.  I did not propose that.

1.  It won't prevent people from stock-piling ammo prior to the ban.  As long as it's stored properly, it can be used later.

2.  10 -15 years to have an effect?  Still doesn't answer the question of what is the long term plan and how does it impact those who legally own firearms prior to an outright ban?  Will they be required to voluntarily hand them over to local law enforcement?  Will they just be grandfathered and can still own and posses them?  Or will they be required to register them with the local law enforcement into say a national database, so it can be tracked?  If they are required to turn them in and don't, will that be a crime (misdemeanor or felony?), will there be heavy fines, etc.?

3.  Just closing gun shops is not going to make the guns go away.  Not without a plan of action (see above).  Again, what are the laws/regulations, penalties going to be and who is going to enforce them?  Where is the money to set this new process up and monitor and enforce going to come from?  State or Federally funded?  

4.  @Gibbit broke this down for me, a lot better than I could.  So you think guided hunting is a solution.  So are you proposing that only guided hunting companies be allowed to purchase firearms and ammo?  As Gibbit mentioned, those are mainly for trophy hunting, big game.  Who is going to be in charge of controlling all of the wild animals that ruin crops, etc.?  Where are the resources coming from?

5.  So if you're not proposing the confiscation of all firearms purchased prior to the ban, the problem will still exist.  There are still more civilian owned firearms in the country than  there are people.  There are an estimated 120.5 guns per 100 residents in the U.S.  Would it cut down on those horrible, tragic mass shootings?  Yes, I would think it would.  But I also think we could cut down that number with stricter gun laws/regulations, etc.  

The gun debate is in the speed of reload and capacity. Not guns themselves.

I don't see the need for semi autos in rifles or shotguns. Semi auto shotguns are just for lazy hunters....semi auto rifles for gun freaks. Handguns...I can understand. I can put myself in that position wanting to be able to defend myself. May still get one someday

Edited by Gibbit
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

1.  It won't prevent people from stock-piling ammo prior to the ban.  As long as it's stored properly, it can be used later.

2.  10 -15 years to have an effect?  Still doesn't answer the question of what is the long term plan and how does it impact those who legally own firearms prior to an outright ban?  Will they be required to voluntarily hand them over to local law enforcement?  Will they just be grandfathered and can still own and posses them?  Or will they be required to register them with the local law enforcement into say a national database, so it can be tracked?  If they are required to turn them in and don't, will that be a crime (misdemeanor or felony?), will there be heavy fines, etc.?

3.  Just closing gun shops is not going to make the guns go away.  Not without a plan of action (see above).  Again, what are the laws/regulations, penalties going to be and who is going to enforce them?  Where is the money to set this new process up and monitor and enforce going to come from?  State or Federally funded?  

4.  @Gibbit broke this down for me, a lot better than I could.  So you think guided hunting is a solution.  So are you proposing that only guided hunting companies be allowed to purchase firearms and ammo?  As Gibbit mentioned, those are mainly for trophy hunting, big game.  Who is going to be in charge of controlling all of the wild animals that ruin crops, etc.?  Where are the resources coming from?

5.  So if you're not proposing the confiscation of all firearms purchased prior to the ban, the problem will still exist.  There are still more civilian owned firearms in the country than  there are people.  There are an estimated 120.5 guns per 100 residents in the U.S.  Would it cut down on those horrible, tragic mass shootings? Yes, I would think it would .  But I also think we could cut down that number with stricter gun laws/regulations, etc.  

The goal isn’t to get rid of all guns or end all gun violence, that’s a fools errand. The goal is the get the most return for the least cost. Stoping the sales of ammo and new guns costs next to nothing and WILL have an impact.

Would it cut down on those horrible, tragic mass shootings? Yes, I would think it would.

qed

But I also think we could cut down that number with stricter gun laws/regulations, etc.

I don’t think so, It’s next to impossible to know when an upstanding citizen who was an ex-marine will just decide to go bat**** crazy....

57 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The goal isn’t to get rid of all guns or end all gun violence, that’s a fools errand. The goal is the get the most return for the least cost. Stoping the sales of ammo and new guns costs next to nothing and WILL have an impact.

stopping the sales of ammo and new guns would be the next recession trigger...it wouldn't cost next to nothing

And it may keep these Ritalin-social media junkie ****s from doing anything short-term....but Ritalin/adderall finds a way. That's what its meant to do

Edited by Gibbit
  • Haha 1

Just read through the last couple of pages on here - it's a really interesting debate and a tricky situation for the US.

I find it incredibly sad that one of this year's big selling school bags in your nation had ****ing kevlar in it, causing the popularity. What a sad situation that you have to send your kids to school with bullet proof vests/bags.

I speak as a total outsider who has never had the 2nd amendment right, but I also speak as a citizen of a country where I am 138 times less likely to get murdered with a firearm. A country without guns is not some passive utopia - we have our own issues in the UK with knife crime etc, but I am still 4 times less likely to be murdered than a US citizen. ( http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime )

There are so many issues with introducing gun control, but I find it hard to see any case for opposing it. It's not a situation you would be able to sort out quickly, but it is a situation that could be resolved (but it won't be; because even if the Dems got the spine to do something about it, the Reps would just reverse it all as soon as they got legislative control).

If I were looking to find a system you could adopt, I would suggest Australia has pretty good gun laws - maintaining access to guns but making it safer etc.... during the late 90s the Australians were in the same situation you guys are in now - appalled by a massacre they enacted sweeping changes to their gun laws - I was actually in Australia earlier this year and went to a firing range (it was the first time I'd ever fired a real gun - I'm 31 years old). Australia's gun revolution is well described in this article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-35048251 - I appreciate that your nation is 325 million people rather than 23.5 million people but I certainly think Australia has shown that it can be done, and done well, without an outright ban.

I don't think access to guns is unreasonable - I get that some people like to hunt etc - it's not my thing, but I get it. I don't however understand how you have got to a situation where you can buy ludicrously high powered assault rifles with little difficulty. Who the **** needs an AR15? and how the **** do you guys let somebody legally buy one of those before they can legally buy a beer? There is no argument for these being available in the public domain - if a hunter needs an AR15 to hunt, then they're probably not very good at hunting.

Hope you guys don't mind me putting in an outsiders perspective.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I always find it laughable that hunting aka the murder of defenseless beings by losers, is always mentioned when talking about gun control or the 2nd amendment. 

News for you, the 2nd amendment is not about hunting or a right to kill non humans. Absolutely nothing. So why do people still talk about it? Worse why is the non “rights” of non “sportsmen” even a thing?

There is no right to kill non humans and certainly the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with it. 

What is dangerous is this desire to appease hunters in an effort to get them to support gun control by implying a constitutional right that does not exist. 

Memo to the appeasers, those that get off on killing animals for fun will never support gun restriction. Those that claim they do are just lying to you knowing that nothing will get done in current ‘murica. 

I will say this though, those that try to appease hunters/rural types are on the right track. You’re just misguided in thinking they will join you. The sick culture of killing non humans is so ingrained in them that any threat, real or perceived, to their “right” to kill will be voted against. Stop trying to appease rural types. Societal progress does not come from rural America. 

Here is my proposed proof that all the opposition to gun control boils down to a small minority that enjoys killing and they don’t want to give life to anything they think will take that away. I bet you can propose a law that loosens gun restrictions. Everyone can own any kind of gun you want. Any ammo. Any number. You can open carry and conceal carry. Open it all up. You are able to own whatever because your right to defend your property and your person is protected. BUT hunting is illegal. 

I guarentee you those forces against gun control now would still be against any such law. Oh they would love everything except that last part and I bet that last bit is a deal breaker. 

So stop with the appeasement. They are living in their own twisted world. 

Oh and to the person who talked about hunting to murder wild animals to protect crops, 70 percent of the wild animal population has been eradicated from this planet since 1970. Still not enough? How about we stop our overpopulation for a change? How about we look at our infringing on their home and not the other way around?

But what do I know? I’m just some wackado vegan guy who believes peace starts with you and how valuing all sentient life is the key to ending violence. I should join the hypocrites who talk about being against violence while supporting hunting and munching some dead flesh. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, scruffylookin said:

[blah blah blah]

Oh and to the person who talked about hunting to murder wild animals to protect crops, 70 percent of the wild animal population has been eradicated from this planet since 1970. Still not enough? How about we stop our overpopulation for a change? How about we look at our infringing on their home and not the other way around?

But what do I know? I’m just some wackado vegan guy who believes peace starts with you and how valuing all sentient life is the key to ending violence. I should join the hypocrites who talk about being against violence while supporting hunting and munching some dead flesh. 

That would be me

Image result for put some respeck on my name gif

I don't hunt, but I do enjoy a good ****ing steak. 

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it' just me, but if i looked around and my allies in my beliefs were ****ing crazy lunatics and scumbag murderers.. i'd rethink my position.

But that is just me,, you know,,capable of self reflection, able to discern between reality and insanity.

how you handle it i don't know.

But if it were me, and these are my allies?
well, as i've said before,, you either take note of who you're shoulder to shoulder with and who is pumping their fists in agreement with you... or accept the fact you are one of them.

~Bang

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

But, Bang, 

Most Trump supporters aren't there because they're racists or Nazis. They just vote Republican because it's worth it, so they can get, ...., well, ......, I mean, ....  

There must be some reason. Some issue where they think getting this one thing that's so important to them that standing next to a Klansman is a price they're willing to pay. 

(Although, granted, every time I ask what they're getting that makes it worth it, for them to stay on this train, the only answer I've ever gotten is "judges". And then they flat out refuse to say exactly what it is that they expect these judges to do. Not that they're ashamed to say what it is that they're voting for, or anything.)

• Like 1

I'll tell you the one thing that made me stay around longer than I should have.  And what makes most of the people I know that still hang with the GOP.  Judges are part of it because they want ones that will rule they want on the topic that makes them stick around.  Its actually the topic of this very thread......

• Like 1