Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

About 100 protesters, many wearing T-shirts emblazoned with “NRA = Not Real Activists,” marched through the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting in Dallas in May to slam the powerful gun lobby as too conciliatory on gun rights and rally for their candidate for the board.

Adam Kraut, a gun rights lawyer, fell about 4,000 votes short of the 71,000 needed for election, but earned 5,000 more than the previous year, a sign of the growth of the Second Amendment purists within the NRA known to many as “gundamentalists.”

With opinion polls showing U.S. public support for more gun control growing in the wake of mass shootings in recent years, the NRA is facing internal pressure from this little-known force that is demanding that the leadership concede zero ground to gun-control advocates.

Its rise has rattled the NRA leadership and threatens the association’s ability to hold on to moderate supporters and to make compromises that might help fend off tougher gun control measures, according to some of the two dozen gun-rights activists, policy experts and gun-control advocates interviewed for this story.

18 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Interesting video...the first guy apparently got off a bunch of shots (a dozen?) but didn't find who he was looking for to settle a score? 

Then the bystander (good guy with a gun) confronted him later and shot him as he tried to pull out his gun again? 

Not sure if I'm following this right, but I wonder if there is more info about what happened. 

It sounds like a lot of people lucked out though, other than being terrified and possibly traumatized.

Edited by visionary

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I hope the states attorney is doing it because he thinks there's a winnable case here, and not for other reasons...

maybe he has more information, either way it is probably easier for him to charge than not.

5 minutes ago, twa said:

maybe he has more information, either way it is probably easier for him to charge than not.

Easier for him. If he loses he's back where he started, if he wins he's got something he can try to turn into something else.

It's the community and the families involved and the person accused who lose out when a SA goes after a case for reasons other than its merits.

• 2 weeks later...

Burglar shot after breaking into Utah home with ‘Smith and Wesson spoken here’ sign outside

The Iron County Sheriff's Office had received a call for a burglary in process in Iron Town.

Deputies say 24-year-old Christian Holbert kicked down the door of the house and confronted the couple inside.

“They are a little bit elderly, they do have some disabilities," Lt. Del Schlosser said.

Elderly but not defenseless.

A sign at the home reads, "Smith and Wesson spoken here."

“They did fear for their lives and they did shoot at him," Lt. Schlosser said.

After being shot several times, investigators say Holbert stripped naked, walked out of the home and confronted four deputies.

“Taser was used multiple times" Lt. Schlosser said. "He did not respond to that but the deputies were able to subdue him.”

Investigators think Holbert was on some kind of drugs that allowed him to keep going despite being shot and tased.

latest?cb=20140211154823

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

I feel like this belongs in the mass shooting thread but I think it’ll get lost and make people angry since the timing is right off the heels of a shooting. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/08/27/640323347/the-school-shootings-that-werent

How many times per year does a gun go off in an American school?

We should know. But we don't.

This spring the U.S. Education Department reported that in the 2015-2016 school year, "nearly 240 schools ... reported at least 1 incident involving a school-related shooting." The number is far higher than most other estimates.

But NPR reached out to every one of those schools repeatedly over the course of three months and found that more than two-thirds of these reported incidents never happened. Child Trends, a nonpartisan, nonprofit research organization, assisted NPR in analyzing data from the government's Civil Rights Data Collection.

We were able to confirm just 11 reported incidents, either directly with schools or through media reports.

In 161 cases, schools or districts attested that no incident took place or couldn't confirm one. In at least four cases, we found, something did happen, but it didn't meet the government's parameters for a shooting. About a quarter of schools didn't respond to our inquiries.

But, officials added, the department has no plans to republish the existing publication.

?

thats ridiculous. Wonder how many memes will run around with the bogus info. 

• Thanks 1

I wonder what the governments considers a shooting since they used that language. I also wouldn't be suprised if many of these shootings just didn't happen or where falsely reported. People will do anything for attention or to get you to agree with them. 

28 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wonder what the governments considers a shooting since they used that language. I also wouldn't be suprised if many of these shootings just didn't happen or where falsely reported. People will do anything for attention or to get you to agree with them. 

I would imagine it something like "a gun went off accidentally". And it was only 4.

7 hours ago, Bang said:

Sounds like they just want to create numbers to argue for arming teachers.

Create fear to shove legislation that enriches their favorite buddies.. Hardly a new GOP tactic.

~Bang

Thats how you read it?

i read it as schools being over general in how they’re doing these surveys hoping it highlights an issue. Not malicious but when you add it up across the country the individual acts equal silly numbers. 

Im not aware of arming teachers being popular amongst the people these surveys target. 

• Like 1

i guess you'd have to believe the survey is real.

With this administration, i don't believe anything that comes out of any of them. 

I think they have tainted everything 'government[' at this point, and i don't think they've ever told a single truth the entire time they've been in he political eye. They are entirely self serving, and i believe every shred of information they release to the public is designed to serve those interests.

You know how it goes.. lie to me once, and I should learn that you are a liar.

Lie to me 3,678,452,498,167 times this week, and **** you.

I don't trust liars. This entire administration is nothing but liars lying every time they speak. Folks will undoubtedly roll their eyes at my cynicism, to which i'd wonder what in the world would make anyone trust anything that anyone in this admin ever says. Every agency there is has been gutted by people with conscience quitting, leaving holes to be filled by their own people. The administration began it's tenure by clamping down on public agencies to transform them into pro-Trump propaganda wings.
This comes from the Dept. of Education. Does anyone trust anything Betsy DeVos says? Does anyone trust Betsy deVos would let her department put out anything that does not conform to their Agenda?
If so, why? What sort of defect can cause that? Were you in an accident, maybe a head injury? You'd have to be a complete idiot to trust her.

But who knows. they might be telling the truth without any agenda behind it at all, even though almost every single mass shooting has prompted the call to arm teachers, and who wouldn't love to sell more guns?  Making sure we all have enough guns to start the War To Kill Each Other with seems to be the ONLY agenda of one of their most powerful masters.

They might be on the up and up...  And i might be typing this from my split level house on Mars while my loyal dinosaur sleeps at my feet.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

So the entire department of education is not trustworthy and their survey results are fabricated....

And it was done to oversell the issue of school shootings so that they could push for arming teachers. 

ok.

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 1

You say this as if this entire administration isn't awash in corrupt dirty backroom alternative fact bull****.

They are.

and yes, i think what you wrote is entirely possible under their direction.

If people told you two years ago the Russians would get so deep into our government that they'd actually have one of their properties sitting as President, you'd have laughed.

Maybe a little less hyperbolic,, what if they told you we'd elect an administration that would do everything in it's power to destroy the government agencies designed to protect the American people and fleece every dollar they could out of every corner they could?

and if the secretary of education herself would do everything in her power to open up the students of this country to being fleeced by the lending companies? 

what if i told you the president would support nazis publicly and refuse to condemn any of them for any reason, and that he would pardon traitors convicted of treason? (Do you doubt that he will? He's already discussed it, and Manafort (and others) will be convicted.)

What if i told you the President would have secret closed door meetings with our biggest enemies, and not allow anyone in but people we KNOW to be spies and operatives of theirs?
what if i told you he'd do that (for the SECOND time) on the 4th of July, with a whole contingency of GOP in tow to make sure every drop of Sputin got lapped up?
What if i told you he'd not just ignore, but dispute every single one of his intel agencies who line up at one table and say "russia intefered".. and then say that Putin told me he didn't and that was enough?

what if i told you our president would actively operate to undermine all of our allies and support Russian interference and other global illegal activity, and he'd do so as openly as he has within a year? 
What if i told you he would openly attack our core principles every single day, and encourage violence against the press?

what if i told you he'd allow strongmen from another nation to attack US citizens in washington DC, and then blame the protesters for the violence that is shown to have been started by the foreign president?

Would you have believed any of that?

But here we are. and eye rolling and pretending we are not in the dire situation we are at the hands of these people is very short sighted and ignorant of current reality, IMO.
you wouldn't need to be told that the GOP has it's lips firmly wrapped around the **** of the NRA and will do whatever it tells them to do.  They've been there on heir knees for years. And guess what it tells them to do?

Everything out of this administration is a lie. They don't even try to hide it. They lie and then say **** You to anyone who disproves it. (Generally done within seconds of the lie being lied.)
 All of it is concocted to help them fleece this nation, and turn it over to our enemies, whether directly or indirectly.

Everything.

EVERY THING.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Haha 1