Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

How US children and teens die: Study reveals the widespread and persistent role of firearms

howuschildre.jpg

America lost 20,360 children and teens in 2016—60 percent of them to preventable injuries, a new study shows. More than 4,000 of them died in motor vehicle crashes, though prevention efforts and better trauma care have cut the death rate of young people from such crashes in half in less than two decades.

Meanwhile, firearms—the number two cause of death in youth—claimed the lives of more than 3,140 children and teens in 2016, according to the new findings from a University of Michigan team.

That's about eight children a day, according to their special report in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Click on the link for the full article

Walgreens employee fatally shoots man after photos dispute

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Tulsa police say a Walgreens employee with a concealed-carry license fatally shot an armed man after an argument that began at the photo counter.

Tulsa Police Sgt. Brandon Watkins says the man who died Wednesday was 52-year-old William Hurley. Watkins says Hurley pulled a gun, jumped behind the photo counter to take photos from a clerk and then climbed back over the counter.

Watkins says that while other employees tried to call police, a 28-year-old Walgreens employee shot and killed the man.

That employee wasn't injured, and police say he hasn't been arrested. Another Walgreens employee and customer were struck by gunfire and hospitalized. Watkins says both are expected to survive.

Gun rights folk are the same who make arguments against entitlements, well, gun related incidents cost the tax payers, by some estimates, 500,000 billion a year - it should be incumbent upon gun owners to assume the entirety of that cost. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

No it shouldn't.  

Well then make your case. You really can't just believe that all the lives lost and money squandered is a reasonable overhead for allowing people to live out their masturbatory Rambo fantasies, so I would be interested in your POV.

Just now, volsmet said:

You may need to get to the hospital, evidently you’re seeing question marks. 

There are plenty of responsible gun owners, like myself (and other posters here) and out in the world that are fine with common sense gun laws at a minimum.  As well as some regulations that might be considered "far left" by some (national registry, tracking purchases, etc.).  Why should those of us have to pick up that tab?  

By your logic, anyone that disagrees with the cost of [insert spending topic here] shouldn't have to pay for it and shift the bill to those that support it.  Example:  It is estimated that $700+ billion will be spent on Medicaid in 2019.  So the supporters of welfare should pay the entirety of that cost.

Disclaimer:  I am not against Medicaid programs, though I think they need a severe overhaul, but that's another topic for another day.  I was just using this as an example.

30 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Well then make your case. You really can't just believe that all the lives lost and money squandered is a reasonable overhead for allowing people to live out their masturbatory Rambo fantasies, so I would be interested in your POV.

I responded to the other guy.  Not every gun owner is one that wants to live out any fantasies, far right Republican against any form of gun control.  I'm not going to re-post my proposals on gun laws/regulations again, because I'm lazy and don't feel like trying to find them in my past posts in this thread. 

Feel free to scroll back through posts in here if you like and if you come across my posts on that topic you will clearly see that I'm far from being a NRA poster child.  Yes, I probably should have elaborated in my initial response to him.  

Edit:  I am for at a minimum common sense gun laws.  I don't want anyone to lose their life, gun related or not. His statement was saying gun rights people should pay that cost.  Which, imo, was a silly statement because you can be pro gun with different opinions on what laws/bans/etc. you are fine with or against.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Hey DTMB, I really wasn't trying to yank yer chain but in the grand scheme of things I think it is a conversation that has merit.

I know that there are millions of normal, sane, responsible gun owners in this country that do not pose a threat but I would think that y'all would be the very ones leading the charge to address the problems with gun ownership, because if things continue the way they have, the gun nutty NRA one-hand-on-a-rifle-and-one-in-your-pants faction is going to push the conversation towards an Australian type of solution.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Hey DTMB, I really wasn't trying to yank yer chain but in the grand scheme of things I think it is a conversation that has merit.

I know that there are millions of normal, sane, responsible gun owners in this country that do not pose a threat but I would think that y'all would be the very ones leading the charge to address the problems with gun ownership, because if things continue the way they have, the gun nutty NRA one-hand-on-a-rifle-and-one-in-your-pants faction is going to push the conversation towards an Australian type of solution.

It's all good bro, I didn't take it that way.  I should have elaborated in my initial response to him instead of just dismissing his thoughts with a quick response.  

I agree 100% that it's a conversation that has merit.  That's the biggest part of the problem though, it's more conversation than it is action.  There is zero reason for bump stocks, hell, most people didn't know (myself included) what the hell those were until after the Vegas massacre.  And once that happened, they should have been banned immediately, no questions asked.  That is common sense.  But it took over a year for anything to be attempted to be done, because of political gain.  

If I remember, when I get off work, I'll try to dig up some of my old posts on here that include some new regulations/measures I'd like to see taken.  We need to start somewhere, at a minimum with common sense laws.  Zero progression is not good for either side, imo.  

• Like 1

6 customers draw guns on men attempting to steal tools from Marysville store

MARYSVILLE — Authorities say two men were surrounded by customers with guns while attempting to steal tools from a store.

The Daily Herald reports the men, ages 22 and 23, allegedly took four nail guns, each worth more than $400, from the Coastal Farm & Ranch store Saturday in Marysville.

The men walked out of the store and got into a Honda Civic, only to be surrounded by about six customers with guns raised.

Court documents say the driver pulled forward, causing one man confronting him to land on the hood.

Documents say another customer shot at the driver’s side front tire, while a third fired twice at the rear tire.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Uh oh.  Can't wait to see the opinions on this one.  Good guys with guns?  Rambo wannabe cowboys?  

Somewhere in the middle?  Hahaha.

Not sure what the laws are in the state of Washington, but if they are Seahawks fans throw the book at those sum ****es.

Image result for buford t justice

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Uh oh.  Can't wait to see the opinions on this one.  Good guys with guns?  Rambo wannabe cowboys?  

Somebody coulda died over a couple of nail guns.  There's a reason many places I've worked I've been told not to chance a shoplifter outside of the store, helluva risk for people that don't even work there.  You never know how bad that person needs it or wants it, like people stealing meat either to buy crack or feed their kids.  This is not how i want to see our society blow their vigilante wad, big picture. Great job on their part deescalating the situation /sarcasm

Edited by Renegade7

Celebratory gunfire illegal, dangerous, police warn ahead of New Year's Eve

With less than a week left of 2018, police are reminding people not to ring in the new year with celebratory gunfire.

“Celebratory gunfire anywhere is unacceptable and against the law,” Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan said Wednesday in a statement. “We want everyone to have a safe, enjoyable New Year’s Eve without the fear that their life or someone else’s may be cut short by a falling bullet.”

The police department on Wednesday released a public service announcement to remind people of the dangers of celebratory gunfire.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a bullet fired into the air can return to the ground at speeds exceeding 200 feet per second, "a sufficient force to penetrate the human skull and cause serious injury or death."

Tampa police warned that bullets shot into the air can put anything or anyone within a 2-mile radius at risk of damage or injury.

“Don’t ruin a good time with dangerous, unnecessary celebratory gunfire,” Dugan said in the PSA. “There are consequences to your actions.”

On 12/27/2018 at 12:11 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Theft doesn’t warrant civilians rushing to the rescue with guns. 

400$ worth of nail guns isn’t worth someone losing a life over.