Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Mike McCarthy is the worst coach in the NFL and why that matters to the Redskins

Lombardi's_kid_brother

I'm trying to remember that WR we had about 6 years ago who couldn't really crack our starting lineup, despite being the Patriots #1 receiver the year before with Brady throwing to him.  He went from 1000+ yards to 2nd string in 1 year.  Only difference was the QB.

David Patten.

And then after that Reche Caldwell.

I'm trying to remember that WR we had about 6 years ago who couldn't really crack our starting lineup, despite being the Patriots #1 receiver the year before with Brady throwing to him.  He went from 1000+ yards to 2nd string in 1 year.  Only difference was the QB.

2006 - Reche Caldwell - NE - 61 receptions 760 yards 12.46 avg. Led NE receivers in Yards. Started 14 games played in 16 - QB Brady

2007 -                         - WAS- 15 receptions 141 yards   9.40 avg. Started 1 game played in 8   - QBs - Cambell & Todd Collins

If you think Nelson and Cobb are bums, you dont know football, its that simple.

Nobody's saying Nelson and Cobb are bums. The idea is that Rodgers makes them look better, like top 5 WRs. Every year I watch Jordy Nelson run of a bunch of go/fly routes and catch perfectly thrown passes.

Jordy tears his ACL, GB signs a guy who can't even make another NFL team, and they don't miss a beat. It's Rodgers, still making 30 ppg look easy. 

I dunno. This seems like the great mystery in New England where we have to act baffled that LeGarette Blount and Dion Lewis are suddenly great players while wearing Patriots uniforms and either backups or cut anywhere else. It isn't them, it's the QB (and in this case, the coach). 

If you think Nelson and Cobb are bums, you dont know football, its that simple.

Allow me to repeat myself for those whose need to fire off scorching hot takes impacts their ability to actually read.

Cobb is the speedy 5'10 wide receiver that every team has.

Nelson seems like a great wide receiver. But I can't figure out how much of that is him and how much of that is the guy throwing him the ball.

I mean, New England showed what I'm taking about.

David Patten and Reche Cardwell were pretty good wide receivers in New England. But they were "just guys" everywhere else.

When Brady got to play with Welker and Moss... historical, jaw-dropping things started happening.

I think you can tell who is great in isolation. Gronk would be uncoverable anywhere. The scary thing in New England is that Brady always throws him the ball in the right time in the right place.

We've seen on film here for the past few years that Desean Jackson is still terrifying as a deep threat. Our QBs just can't get him the ball.

My suspicion is that Nelson and Cobb are just guys who have been turned into 100-catch monsters by Rodgers.

The guy who I would LOVE to see with Rodgers is Antonio Brown. I think those two would mind-meld into some kind of sci-fi creation.

How so? because our quarterbacks are missing easy throws to wide open receivers and making incorrect reads, even when there isnt much pressure? If you watch the offense, much like Kyle Shanahan's, there are receivers open, plays to be made, but the qb just misses them, or the receiver drops the ball. Cousins missed 6-7 throws vs the giants that would have changed the game.

Seriously, give me a reason that you consider him the worst coach in the league? I am sick of people saying this and then literally giving no reason as to why this is.

How about the fact that we drafted Carlos Rogers ahead of him too? Ew.....

We drafted Carlos Rodgers ahead of cant think of his name but DE for the boys and now Broncos

By the way, LKB... my first post here that you responded was never intended to be a rebuttal or even refute any aspect of your OP. I pretty much agree with it and absolutely love the way it was presented. My intention was always just to add to it, not necessarily debate it. 

Again, I agree with your overall premise. :)

By the way, LKB... my first post here that you responded was never intended to be a rebuttal or even refute any aspect of your OP. I pretty much agree with it and absolutely love the way it was presented. My intention was always just to add to it, not necessarily debate it. 

Again, I agree with your overall premise. :)

Not good enough!!!

2006 - Reche Caldwell - NE - 61 receptions 760 yards 12.46 avg. Led NE receivers in Yards. Started 14 games played in 16 - QB Brady

2007 -                         - WAS- 15 receptions 141 yards   9.40 avg. Started 1 game played in 8   - QBs - Cambell & Todd Collins

Caldwell was the "#1 WR" the year they lost Branch and Givens. Belichick decided to go with castoffs at WR like Caldwell. It worked out so well that the next offseason he paid a fortune to acquire Moss, Welker and Stallworth. 

Let's not make it sound like Reche was a star in New England.

Here's the solution and I'm sure it's a far cry but they were talking about it on Mike and Mike so that means it's a possibility. Saints are in cap hell right now and will be again next year. Maybe they don't renew Drew Brees' contract and the Redskins can swoop him up. As far as I can tell we are literally a QB away from competing for playoffs. We get Drew Brees and we are right there with the Cowgirls for the division. Gruden can sit back and let Brees do his thing like you mentioned.

Man that's what I was thinkin except bring Sean Payton with him. In my opinion, S Payton needs a change. It is time for a new start and a challenge.

This is pretty much me. I watch the redskins, but little of anything else.

Thursday night football is so unwatchable, respective the rest of the unwatchable football, that I mostly don't even know who plays. My fantasy teams suck over the last few years because I don't know who's who anymore. When I win I get lucky. And I'm about done with fantasy football too...

This year I've watched mroe football through 3 weeks than I did all of last year. Because I'm pretty much stuck at home with a newborn and I haven't been at the two home games. But that'll change soon enough... I can count on my hands the number of non-redskins and non-playoff games I've watched in the last 4-5 years and I don't think any of them were in their entirety...

edit: but ratings are up. i cannot explain it. damn near everyone i know says the same thing you said and i just said, but ratings just keep climbing.

Not me. I watch the Redskins and all the teams in our division hoping they screw up, loose, get a star hurt etc.

I suspect Belichick is as good a coach as you're going to get. All the cheating rumors tell me that he does everything humanly possible as a coach to get an edge on his opponents -  legal, not, borderline... That, and he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell as his starting QB when Brady got hurt at the start of 2008.

But your point is well taken. It's tough to separate the success of Bill and Tom in their Excellent NFL Adventure.  Would Belicheck be just another so-so former coordinator without Brady? Would Brady be a transcendent talent under a different head coach? We'll never know for sure.

Think Belacheck has a loosing record without Brady if you take in his Browns days. He also had L.Taylor in NY when he was a Def Cord, so he may have had the 2 best def and off players in history. 

Nobody's saying Nelson and Cobb are bums. The idea is that Rodgers makes them look better, like top 5 WRs. Every year I watch Jordy Nelson run of a bunch of go/fly routes and catch perfectly thrown passes.

Nelson routinely makes incredible plays. He's a master of the toe-tapping diving catches on the boundaries, he'll muscle the ball away from defenders, he'll high-point passes, back-shoulder fades, over-the-shoulder... he does it all. The deep passing game in GB isn't the same without him.

Watch Packers games enough, and you may start to notice that there are numerous occasions where Rodgers gets bailed out by guys like Nelson making incredible grabs on some less-than-perfect passes, or other occasions where, in tight coverage, Rodgers puts the ball in a place only a guy like Nelson can make the catch. Yes, the receivers definitely benefit from Rodgers, but what many fail to realize is that Rodgers also benefits from them.

Jordy tears his ACL, GB signs a guy who can't even make another NFL team, and they don't miss a beat. It's Rodgers, still making 30 ppg look easy.

Jones is a solid WR in his own right. He set a career-best in receptions in Oakland and was their most productive receiver, but I guess they decided to go with youth. New York is probably just stupid. Jones has excellent hands (had early-career dropsies until he started talking to himself before plays) and makes some incredible catches of his own. I've seen him, numerous times, make one-handed catches while fighting off defenders who are grabbing and interfering with him.

And he's not just some bum from off the streets; he has built a chemistry with Rodgers through many years in GB. Something to notice is that most of Jones' big plays this season have come on so-called "free plays" when a defender jumps offside. At that point, the Packers are no longer running the scripted play; it becomes a game of improvisation, and Jones knows how to get open deep for Rodgers in those situations. You wouldn't get that from any bum off the streets.

Furthering the point that Jones is a decent receiver even without Rodgers throwing to him: Jones' career average is 42.2 yards per game. His rookie year in which he played with Brett Favre, he had 42.2 yards per game. In Oakland, with rookie QB Derrick Carr, he had 41.6 yards per game. 2013, the year Rodgers missed half the season and started 4 different QBs over the season, Jones put up the most yards of his career (and did so in only 14 games).

And, yet, their best receiver is James Jones....who is not really all that good at football.

Interesting.

(Aaron Rodgers looks at our receiving corps and....well...he probably doesn't care all that much because he would make due with a local JV team....but the point is our receivers are an order of magnitude better than Green Bay's receivers).

Right now he's their best, but would you credit the QB or the system?

Its a lot easier to find a player to fit a system than to build a system around a player; see our past QB issues.

I can't get on board with the idea that our WR's are better than GB's. They spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the position every single year and its paid off. Desean is the best deep threat in the NFL, but Nelson is close...and he's 6'3" and a RZ target. And he can block.

Cobb is incredible, he's been showing it since his rookie year and now he's added about 20 lbs. He's so much better than Garçon in just about every way.

James Jones happens to share a brain with Rodgers, so he's jumped up the depth chart immediately off the street, but they also have talented, pedigreed depth in recent 2nd rounder Devante Adams (who would make Garçon expendable for us, they're pretty similar) and Ty Mongomery, who is almost a RB with hands basically, he's so raw, but a freak that they drafted in the 3rd round who is sure to develop into a monster.

They even drafted Charles Johnson, who now starts for MIN, in the 7th round out of a small school a couple years ago. But they tried to sneak him onto their practice squad and the Browns stole him, then he tore his ACL, eventually ending up as the best all-around WR on the Vikings...still, the Packers drafted him in the 7th.

Ted Thompson has the best QB in the NFL, but he also has a keen eye for WR talent and those two things play off of each other for sure. But there's no way our WR corps is better or more talented than GB's, on paper or in reality.

Rodgers would make Grant, Crowder, and Ross great starters, but his guys are already better.

They even drafted Charles Johnson, who now starts for MIN, in the 7th round out of a small school a couple years ago. But they tried to sneak him onto their practice squad and the Browns stole him, then he tore his ACL, eventually ending up as the best all-around WR on the Vikings...still, the Packers drafted him in the 7th.

Here's the sad part. He actually tore his ACL while still in Green Bay, it just went unnoticed. We could've stashed him on IR instead of trying to sneak him onto the practice squad.

No, Green Bay front office is very good at drafts, but can't say I agree with their attempt to focus so much on it and not additionally get the free agents they need to get over the top.  I feel no worse for them then I did for how the Colts wasted Peyton Manning, just look at the defenses these two QBs have had to deal with in their tenure.  That's the only reason they don't have multipe rings (their franchises failure to provide a consitent quality defense), and there's no excuse for it, imo.

I can't get on board with the idea that our WR's are better than GB's. 

No. And Jackson are Garcon are very good, but Nelson and Cobb are better. Their depth is much better than ours. Jones is like Deion Branch, he has a rapport with Rodgers that probably makes him more valuable in GB than anywhere else right now, but that doesn't make him a bad player who Rodgers makes look good.

Archived