Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Mike McCarthy is the worst coach in the NFL and why that matters to the Redskins

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Hello, dum dums.

I watched six minutes of the Packers game last night because the Pirates and Cardinals were playing what was essentially a playoff game and I'm old and like baseball. Because I watched those six minutes, I'm an expert on what happened and I have thoughts to share. I don't post new threads as much as I used to post new threads and you are all the poorer for it. So, try to live on my thoughts for a while.

Thought One: Mike McCarthy has to be the worst coach in football. Why do I say this? Because I don't understand how he ever loses a game. I really don't. I don't watch a ton of Packer games, but I've watched a few over the last few years. And I've never seen Aaron Rodgers throw an incomplete pass. I've seen his stats so apparently he does occasionally, but I've honestly never witnessed it. The fact that he never throws incomplete passes makes me wonder why they don't score on every drive. And since I think they should score on every drive, I don't understand how they have ever lost a game.

And that brings me to Mike McCarthy. In the modern NFL, if you have an unstoppable passing game, you cannot lose. And he has a QB who - by my math - has never thrown an incompletion. And yet, he's only won a measly single Super Bowl. In fact, he's only gone to one. I don't get it. This can only be caused by over-coaching, because a smart coach would just stand on the sidelines while Aaron Rodgers never throws an incompletion and then take all the credit.

Thought #2. If Mike McCarthy is the worst coach in the NFL, that means that Gruden is not. And I'm not not sure that really matters.

Gruden got his job here for two reasons.

1. He's Jon Gruden's fatter brother.

2. He did a pretty good job as Cincy's offensive coordinator.

Jay Gruden was smart enough to get hired as Cincy's offensive coordinator during AJ Green's rookie year. And he was smart enough to tell his young QB, throw the ball to AJ Green all the time. AJ Green cannot be covered by mortal humans. And as he got better, Cincy's offense got better. And Gruden was smart enough to stand on the sidelines and take credit for AJ Green not being coverable.

(Honestly, if AJ Green and Aaron Rodgers ever team up, the universe would implode).

The NFL rules and human evolution have created the modern NFL. Which is kind of amazing and also somewhat unwatchable.

All the rules in the NFL are designed to keep QBs and WRs alive and that makes their jobs very easy in some ways. At the same time, a few QBs and WRs have become complete freaks of nature, the likes of which we - frankly - have never seen. It would have been extremely difficult to cover Gronkowski, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, and Antonio Brown under the NFL rules of the 70s when defensive backs were allowed to sodomize receivers. (Michael Haynes would be serving life in prison if he played today). There's about five QBs who have mastered the game to the point where it's shocking when they throw an incompletion (Rodgers, Brady.....um that actually may be it right now. Manning and Brees getting old is sad, ain't it?)

The Redskins have don't have a freak QB or a freak WR so I'm not sure what Gruden can really do at this point.

There seem to be only two paths to victory right now in the NFL:

1. Get an otherworldly QB or receiver or maybe both (the Patriots Way)

2. Accept your limitations at QB or WR and stack the team in one specific area and then pray you stay healthy while you can still afford everyone (Seahawks, Niners, Giants approach).

The Skins are certainly not in category 1. It's too early to see if they are in category 2 but this is Scotty Mac's historical approach.

Gruden - and frankly all coaches - are sort of a bystander right now.

Here's the solution and I'm sure it's a far cry but they were talking about it on Mike and Mike so that means it's a possibility. Saints are in cap hell right now and will be again next year. Maybe they don't renew Drew Brees' contract and the Redskins can swoop him up. As far as I can tell we are literally a QB away from competing for playoffs. We get Drew Brees and we are right there with the Cowgirls for the division. Gruden can sit back and let Brees do his thing like you mentioned.

One thing that is really under-valued by many is a good scouting team, who knows exactly what the team needs, does the research, pros and cons, and doesn't really go after 'the best player' but the best player for their need. When you see the highlights on tv of a Packers game, the first thing in your head is Rodgers hitting a 50 yd TD to 'x' player; not how or why he hit it. Their scouts look to fill the needs they have to continue being successful at what they do best, passing the ball, and everything else is just gravy.

Rodgers is a very good QB, no doubt about it, and they really haven't had anything for a running game over the last 5 years, but everyone is so focused on stopping him that they lose focus of trying to stop his abilities, not stopping him.

There's not many teams who could give them a run for their money, but a solid system and a good QB is a good start.

One thing that is really under-valued by many is a good scouting team, who knows exactly what the team needs, does the research, pros and cons, and doesn't really go after 'the best player' but the best player for their need. When you see the highlights on tv of a Packers game, the first thing in your head is Rodgers hitting a 50 yd TD to 'x' player; not how or why he hit it. Their scouts look to fill the needs they have to continue being successful at what they do best, passing the ball, and everything else is just gravy.

So the Packers strategy is to draft the bestest wide receivers, while everyone else is looking for the worstest?

Here's the solution and I'm sure it's a far cry but they were talking about it on Mike and Mike so that means it's a possibility. Saints are in cap hell right now and will be again next year. Maybe they don't renew Drew Brees' contract and the Redskins can swoop him up. As far as I can tell we are literally a QB away from competing for playoffs. We get Drew Brees and we are right there with the Cowgirls for the division. Gruden can sit back and let Brees do his thing like you mentioned.

Isn't Drew Brees, like, crippled?

One thing that is really under-valued by many is a good scouting team, who knows exactly what the team needs, does the research, pros and cons, and doesn't really go after 'the best player' but the best player for their need.

And, yet, their best receiver is James Jones....who is not really all that good at football.

Interesting.

(Aaron Rodgers looks at our receiving corps and....well...he probably doesn't care all that much because he would make due with a local JV team....but the point is our receivers are an order of magnitude better than Green Bay's receivers).

When I watch Tom Brady play, I see a guy who has completely mastered the QB position.  He just cannot be stopped.  He sees exactly what the defense is doing and knows precisely where to go with the football.  It's just a matter of his receiver being open.  It's almost unfair that a guy can be that good at such an important position.  But when you look at the state of the league now and how that's been slowly rule-changed into happening, it's not that surprising.

same thing lkb sees in mcarthy with rogers ...i see belichick with brady.

i actually have no idea how good a HC belichick is because of this.

same thing lkb sees in mcarthy with rogers ...i see belichick with brady.

i actually have no idea how good a HC belichick is because of this.

I suspect Belichick is as good a coach as you're going to get. All the cheating rumors tell me that he does everything humanly possible as a coach to get an edge on his opponents -  legal, not, borderline... That, and he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell as his starting QB when Brady got hurt at the start of 2008.

But your point is well taken. It's tough to separate the success of Bill and Tom in their Excellent NFL Adventure.  Would Belicheck be just another so-so former coordinator without Brady? Would Brady be a transcendent talent under a different head coach? We'll never know for sure.

I was just about to grant you one star for the post until I decided to humor myself and read the entire write-up. I found myself curiously pleased with your views and I did indeed feel a tinge of humor in it. Therefore, I have decided not to cast a vote for this thread.

Well done sir, and I welcome with outstretched arms any future posts you feel necessary to lavish upon us, as long as they carry a similar pleasant, if not campy, narrative.   :)

But there's zero doubt that he was developed into the guy he is today by his coaches. The same coaches he's had his entire NFL career reworked his mechanics from the ground up. That includes McCarthy, which throws a small wrench into the premise of the thread LKB.

This is what I believe to be an example of the point/s I was making here

It is the stability that started at the top with ownership by hiring Mark Murphy as President/CEO, that then proliferates to the GM/Scouting level in Green Bay with Ted Thompson, which then gives a Head Coach a consistent toolbox they can use that applies to their schemes/styles. It's that stabilized process that drafts a guy like Rodgers and then allows a coach the time to develop him. There is no panic, no rush, no forcing of the issue because the process in place is already stabilized and successful. They already had solid personnel there, an established QB in Favre, etc...

McCarthy could be patient, because there is stability/continuity above him on all levels. It's so much easier for him.   

I suspect Belichick is as good a coach as you're going to get. All the cheating rumors tell me that he does everything humanly possible as a coach to get an edge on his opponents -  legal, not, borderline... That, and he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell as his starting QB when Brady got hurt at the start of 2008.

the cassell thing is a point in his favor, for sure. 

a better example might be mike shanahan. excellent with elway, .500 without him. 

This is what I believe to be an example of the point/s I was making here

It is the stability that started at the top with ownership by hiring Mark Murphy as President/CEO, that then proliferates to the GM/Scouting level in Green Bay with Ted Thompson, which then gives a Head Coach a consistent toolbox they can use that applies to their schemes/styles. It's that stabilized process that drafts a guy like Rodgers and then allows a coach the time to develop him. There is no panic, no rush, no forcing of the issue because the process in place is already stabilized and successful. They already had solid personnel there, an established QB in Favre, etc...

McCarthy could be patient, because there is stability/continuity above him on all levels. It's so much easier for him.   

Then why is no one else on that team any good?

I think McCarthy is pretty good offensive coach. He does some pretty neat stuff with formations and such.

Then again, he had some set where he had two fullbacks in and Gruden was being all Grudeny saying, "The fullback is a dying position but not in Green Bay...." and all I can think is " You have Aaron Rodgers and are wasting your time with two fullbacks on the field? What the hell?

I think McCarthy is pretty good offensive coach. He does some pretty neat stuff with formations and such.

Then again, he had some set where he had two fullbacks in and Gruden was being all Grudeny saying, "The fullback is a dying position but not in Green Bay...." and all I can think is " You have Aaron Rodgers and are wasting your time with two fullbacks on the field? What the hell?

It becomes an exercise in exercising.

Just put 4 wide, single back, shotgun on every play.  Enough already with your fancy crap.

Well, their focus was on QB... that's their strategy. No one else needs to be as good, like you're saying. Maybe I shouldn't have said "solid personnel" when I meant a "solid strategy with personnel". But that strategy begins at the top with a consistent investment of resources in that position, and a stabilized process in making sure that position gets developed properly. 

I think they draft a QB every draft, too, don't they? Watch how they even increase the amount of transactions and resources spent at that position as Rodgers gets up there in age. 

Well, their focus was on QB... that's their strategy. No one else needs to be as good, like you're saying. Maybe I shouldn't have said "solid personnel" when I meant a "solid strategy with personnel". But that strategy begins at the top with a consistent investment of resources in that position, and a stabilized process in making sure that position gets developed properly. 

I think they draft a QB every draft, too, don't they? Watch how they even increase the amount of transactions and resources spent at that position as Rodgers gets up there in age. 

Hold on.

Is your argument really that their strategy is to worry about anything other than QB....and that's solid?

Green Bay has been mediocre at best in terms of personnel for, like, a decade.

Hold on.

Is your argument really that their strategy is to worry about anything other than QB....and that's solid?

Green Bay has been mediocre at best in terms of personnel for, like, a decade.

No, I don't think they're complete failures at personnel like you're insinuating here. They certainly give Rodgers weapons, don't you think? I do think they have an overall philosophy that focuses on the QB position more than others, and that directs the entire franchise. So, yeah.

I know it's super long, but did you read the post I linked to, lol? It's a bit more nuanced than that.

That being said, I agree with your premise... they're super lucky that they've went from one franchise guy to the next. But I think that luck came out of some effort and strategy.     

No, I don't think they're complete failures at personnel like you're insinuating here. They certainly give Rodgers weapons, don't you think?

No, I don't.

They've given him:

1) Cobb who is the 5'10 speedster that every NFL team has on its roster

2) Jones, who is the very definition of NFL castoff

3) Two league average running backs, and

4) No tight end

Jordy Nelson seems like a great wide receiver. But I would kill to know what would happen if you switched Garcon and Nelson. Like, could any wide receiver catch 80 balls in that offense? Rodgers made a throw to Jones on Monday that was insane. It was a free play thanks to an off-side so he was just screwing around. He threw a back shoulder fade to a completely covered Jones and it was pretty obvious that Jones was not expecting it. To his credit, Jones stopped and adjusted, which caused the corner to fall and the play to go for 50.

I can honestly say that I've seen a QB throw a receiver open before but never quite like that.

I'm trying to remember that WR we had about 6 years ago who couldn't really crack our starting lineup, despite being the Patriots #1 receiver the year before with Brady throwing to him.  He went from 1000+ yards to 2nd string in 1 year.  Only difference was the QB.

I'm sorry, LKB, I don't think Nelson or Cobb are total bums. I agree with you, overall... but I think they spend some resources on providing Rodgers with, at the least, decent weapons. 

You might be a little bit too extreme on this, or at least more than I'm willing to be. If you've followed my posts, you know that I do agree that talent far outweighs coaching and that an elite QB makes up for so much. I just think it's slightly more nuanced. 

Archived