Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Mike McCarthy is the worst coach in the NFL and why that matters to the Redskins

Lombardi's_kid_brother

The packers have lost a few games on nebulous calls against the Seahawks in recent years.   

everyone in the league has.... 

the seahawks got bent over and screwed by the refs in that superbowl against the steelers, and the league has been repaying that debt the last few years.

same thing lkb sees in mcarthy with rogers ...i see belichick with brady.

i actually have no idea how good a HC belichick is because of this.

I suspect Belichick is as good a coach as you're going to get. All the cheating rumors tell me that he does everything humanly possible as a coach to get an edge on his opponents -  legal, not, borderline... That, and he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell as his starting QB when Brady got hurt at the start of 2008.

But your point is well taken. It's tough to separate the success of Bill and Tom in their Excellent NFL Adventure.  Would Belicheck be just another so-so former coordinator without Brady? Would Brady be a transcendent talent under a different head coach? We'll never know for sure.

i see that one differently.  I see those two as perfectly complimenting each other --- so the whole is better then the sum of the parts, and the parts are pretty damned good!

Its the same (sad) story with the 1990s cowbags.   Aikmen Irvin and Smith were all individually over-rated, because they had a great line AND each other.  INdividually, anyone of them would've been good, but not great (actually, Aikmen would've sucked behind about 95% of offensive lines) --- but taken together, and with a great line... they were great.  ****ers.

Actually.. wasn;t it that Rogers did NOT show enough in those first 2 years to get people all antsy to get his ass on the field (so he COULD develop) --- and GB had a golden boy/hall of famer/uuber popular QB in front of him--

Didn't Rodgers have one of the better games that 2nd year on Thanksgiving or something?  I'm going to check and come back.

EDIT:

In 2007, he had a pretty decent seeming game (I even remember commentators) vs. Dallas, but he didn't go back in that year, of course.  Not one of the better games of the year or anything but enough to where I recall the broadcasters talking about what Green Bay had in him, even in a loss.

Not to compare the two, but can we take this to mean you won't be reading Don Quixote or War and Peace anytime soon?

Or the Cliff Notes for Old Man and the Sea for that matter.

Strikes me as more of a SparkNotes kinda guy.

The Redskins have don't have a freak QB or a freak WR so I'm not sure what Gruden can really do at this point.

Just curious... what hell does this even mean? Were you drunk when you wrote this? I know I am drunk right now but that right there makes no sense to me whats so ever. Again I am truly drunk. Note to self: Don't ES while drunk. 

Read the first line. I was anticipating this problem.

I would just add the argument that the Sharps had in Vegas. His decisions in Seattle last January were 1000% the reason for the Packers defeat. Sure players didn't execute properly repeatedly, the botched, close your eyes hail marry 2 point conversion, the idiotic slide on the interception based on mensa members Julius Peppers suggestion, or Bostic deciding that he should be the hands team #1 option rather than Jordy Nelson. All three of those debacles played a key role in Seattle winning a game they'd already lost, or should have, but as the sharps have argued, McCarthy played to lose when Seattle repeatedly handed him tickets to the super bowl that he just kept insisting on handing back with field goal after field goal after field goal when a 4th down offensive play was repeatedly justified.

Those guys do the math and generally there point is pretty simple, even failing to succeed on 4th and 1 has inherent value because you stick your opponent with the worst field position humanly possible. They never cease to fascinate me with their understanding of math, and NFL coaches habitual incompetency when it comes to math. It's one of the reasons why I almost want to be a Denver fan. They finally said screw it, and hired a math, metrics geek to handle those decisions and radio them down so the coach stops insisting on conservative choices over logic each and every time. It's also why I'm a big Bellichek fan. Admire teams that use their brains, and not their fears, to dictate decision making.

Just curious... what hell does this even mean? Were you drunk when you wrote this? I know I am drunk right now but that right there makes no sense to me whats so ever. Again I am truly drunk. Note to self: Don't ES while drunk. 

It took me 5 minutes of staring at the quote to figure out what was so confusing about it. I am not am smart.

Anyway, further down the post, he said we don't have an otherworldly receiver or quarterback, so I assume he meant "don't have".

I would just add the argument that the Sharps had in Vegas. His decisions in Seattle last January were 1000% the reason for the Packers defeat. Sure players didn't execute properly repeatedly, the botched, close your eyes hail marry 2 point conversion, the idiotic slide on the interception based on mensa members Julius Peppers suggestion, or Bostic deciding that he should be the hands team #1 option rather than Jordy Nelson. All three of those debacles played a key role in Seattle winning a game they'd already lost, or should have, but as the sharps have argued, McCarthy played to lose when Seattle repeatedly handed him tickets to the super bowl that he just kept insisting on handing back with field goal after field goal after field goal when a 4th down offensive play was repeatedly justified.

Those guys do the math and generally there point is pretty simple, even failing to succeed on 4th and 1 has inherent value because you stick your opponent with the worst field position humanly possible. They never cease to fascinate me with their understanding of math, and NFL coaches habitual incompetency when it comes to math. It's one of the reasons why I almost want to be a Denver fan. They finally said screw it, and hired a math, metrics geek to handle those decisions and radio them down so the coach stops insisting on conservative choices over logic each and every time. It's also why I'm a big Bellichek fan. Admire teams that use their brains, and not their fears, to dictate decision making.

The Packers had been in the 4th and goal at the 1 situation on more than one occasion during the regular season. They went for it and it didn't work out. Ever. The Seahawks are a team with a stingy defense and the idea was to take the points you can. I fully supported the decision to kick the field-goals in real-time with how the Packers fared in that situation throughout the season.

To add to the primary point of this thread...Mike Tomlin. The guy is a Super Bowl champion and is held in very high regard, but he's an actual idiot. He had an AWFUL game last night and essentially gave CPR to his team's biggest rival on national TV. On numerous short-yardage situations he put the ball in Vick's hands (to pass and run) vs. his incredible RB. He also pushed all the wrong buttons when it came to the kicking game too. 

I've never been all that high on Tomlin, but the past couple years have proven to me that coaching success is very circumstantial. He's essentially made his career wearing sunglasses and looking intimidating on the sideline. 

"Thank you! Thank you very much!" *Waves*

'What a moron!'

"Yah, how does he know where we're going?"

To add to the primary point of this thread...Mike Tomlin. The guy is a Super Bowl champion and is held in very high regard, but he's an actual idiot. He had an AWFUL game last night and essentially gave CPR to his team's biggest rival on national TV. On numerous short-yardage situations he put the ball in Vick's hands (to pass and run) vs. his incredible RB. He also pushed all the wrong buttons when it came to the kicking game too. 

I've never been all that high on Tomlin, but the past couple years have proven to me that coaching success is very circumstantial. He's essentially made his career wearing sunglasses and looking intimidating on the sideline. 

in today's NFL, coaching is ENTIRELY circumstantial.

I think coaching mattered a great deal when there was more to the game than running route trees with superior players.

So, after last night, McCarthy may be the second worst coach in the league. Agreed?

Agreed.

Actually, Tomlin may be the future of coaching. That guy rocks the press conference. He looks great arguing with the officials. No one throws the challenge flag with more aplomb. And his players seem to like him. But he - like all of them - is not a strategic genius.

Steelers have one of, if not THE, most stable FOs in the league.

Jim Zorn and his sunglasses would've looked intimidating there.

Archived