Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones: Our future lead back?

TheATrain

To start off, I really like Morris and think he's undervalued. Obvious from my name I geuss. He could be a top 10 or even 5 back behind a decent o-line. Explosive and cuts well, knows how to find the hole (when it's there) He's like a mac truck when you take him head on, hence the nickname A-Train. He's struggled the past couple seasons after a truly excellent year in 2012, but many attributed that to defenses compensating to the dual running threat presented by RG3, which is obviously not the case anymore with Kirk. These next few weeks Alfred clearly has his work cut out to him to prove to the coaches that he should remain first on the depth chart.

Many analysts and experts are predicting this rookie Matt Jones to take over the lead back duties as early as halfway through the season and really like how Jones looks while discounting Alfred's ability. I'll admit he did look good in the preseason, but take that for what it's worth. Do you guys find any truth or value to these statements? Will Matt Jones be our new featured back by year's end?

I see zero chance of Alf being re-signed here.  It's just not worth paying running backs that 2nd contract anymore.  I'm a huge Alf fan and would love for him to stay forever, but Matt Jones appears to be the goods.

Maybe not a zero chance because of extraordinary circumstance, however you get my point.

If Jones can stay healthy and pick up blitzes, it's his job by the 2nd half of the year and will be his going forward.

Shouldn't we at least wait until the middle of the season before we decide to get rid of a 3-time 1K yard rusher based off of what his backup did in meaningless games?

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm getting sick of all these analysts handing Jones the job already like it's a guarantee

Can I ask a serious question... is this fan base addicted to conflict?

Why can't we be excited to have two legit RBs, one of which (if he stays healthy) has a chance to be one of the top backs in this league?

Why does everything have to be ____ or _____? :lol:

To stick to the OP... yes, Jones is the future running back of this team.

Morris is an underrated running back. Jones has the makings of a dominant HB. It's inevitable that Jones will take over as the starter, but I don't know if that means we have to get rid of Morris. It really all depends on how much he feels he's worth vs the open market.

He's an overachieving 6th round draft pick that has not learned how to be a passing threat and will not get the speed to be a home run threat. He is an awesome person, and I feel terrible seeing this one coming a mile away.

I'm not sure if Al Mo will re-sign with us or not.  I'm in 'pump the brakes' mode on MJones.  If memory serves me correctly, a lot of his preseason carries came with the second units.  He runs high, he's a little loose with the ball, and he has durability concerns.  

I think Al Mo doesn't get enough credit for making the first guy miss.  He's shiftier, especially in the hole, than people give him credit for.  The guy seems to get something out of nothing as well as anyone in the league.  I'll be curious to see if MJones can do the same on a consistent basis.

It's too early to say what we have in Matt Jones. I do agree that if what we have seen so far translates to the regular season and against 1st team defenses, then yes, I think he has a better all-around game than Morris.

Morris is solid but unspectacular. So when guys come along who show a little flash, a little sizzle it will be tempting to show Morris the door, but we have to remember at the same time that Morris has been pretty consistent, probably the most consistent piece on the offense since he was drafted. It doesn't mean he can't be replaced but a great preseason by Matt Jones is not quite enough to make the switch.

I don't get why the coaches don't spend more time working with Morris on catching. More open space to work with could do wonders for his game, and there's a higher chance of him getting that space from short pass routes than running from behind that putrid o-line every play

Who knows, maybe they do and his hands really are just that bad

Why can't we be excited to have two legit RBs, one of which (if he stays healthy) has a chance to be one of the top backs in this league?

Some people aren't use to having nice things. I'm glad to have them both; looking forward to what The Beast With Two Backs can do to opposing defenses.

Vinny taught us to hate depth.

Shouldn't we at least wait until the middle of the season before we decide to get rid of a 3-time 1K yard rusher based off of what his backup did in meaningless games?

You just watched (probably) the Patriots whip the Steelers with a RB making like $400,000 that hasn't played a snap of NFL football in two years. That's not to say Dion Lewis isn't talented, he is. He was very good and underrated coming out of college and has been derailed by injuries and situation his whole career. But my whole point is that you just don't invest big money or big draft picks into a non-special RB if you're a smart organization. The Patriots have specific roles, and they pay almost nothing to fill those roles with a roster full of nobodies at RB year after year. Blount gets cut by the Steelers mid-season last year, and he immediately becomes NE's primary RB  for their playoff/SB run. They had a guy go for 200/4 against the Colts last year that was on Miami's PS yesterday. They drafted RB's in the late 2nd and late 4th round four years ago and let them both hit FA after using them up during their rookie contracts. They scooped up Woodhead after the Jets cut him his rookie season and got as much as they could out of him, taking advantage of the market inefficiency short small school RB's face. Then they let someone else pay him in FA, just like they eventually did with Vereen as I already alluded to. 

Its just one example, but smart teams all around the league are doing this unless they have a special talent. And these aren't even rebuilding teams like us, where its even smarter to not invest in a RB. 

We used something close to a premium draft pick on Matt Jones, it would be a disappointment if he DIDN'T become Morris' successor as the lead tailback. 

I doubt we resign Alf but that doesn't mean you give Jones the job this year. Quite the contrary. You run Alfred 35 times a game.

Absolutely. You work him in, but especially with his injury concerns in college and violent running style, you slowly let Jones get acclimated to the pro game and pro defenses while you use up every bit of Morris you can before he hits FA. Conserve the tread on Jones' tires while getting his feet wet.

Matt Jones has looked good, but the knock on him seems to be that he is injury prone. I am not totally sold on him due to this.

An injury prone player that has a key role with the team? That's always worked wonders for us

Say what you will about Morris, he's durable as all hell

Perhaps...but only if we're foolish enough to let Morris walk. 

Durable as any player we've had in a couple decades? Check

Outstanding work ethic and attitude? Check

Less than 100 yards shy of 4,000 yards in first three seasons? Check

28 TD's in three seasons? Check.

The list could go on. Matt Jones has yet to log a single NFL carry in a real game against a first string defense. I will give you the athletic ability Jones showed in preseason. He looked good. I also know he's had nearly a handful of knee surgeries. I also know that backs that are built like him and play so forcefully tend to have short careers. Not a guarantee, just a precautionary tale. For all the flash of these highly touted players such as Foster/Charles/McCoy, there's only one name in the NFL that has more yards since entering the league than Morris. I'll take the guy I know is going to be on the field 16 games a year every year even if you feed him the rock 25 times a game thank you. I really like Jones, but people are hopping on his train waaaay too quickly. Another case of many fans undervaluing one of the best players on the team. 

Archived