Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Gunman Kills Virginia TV News Reporter, Cameraman on Air

Dan T.

From Yahoo :

“What sent me over the top was the church shooting. And my hollow point bullets have the victims’ initials on them."

It is unclear whose initials he is referring to. He continues, “As for Dylann Roof? You (deleted)! You want a race war (deleted)? BRING IT THEN YOU WHITE …(deleted)!!!” He said Jehovah spoke to him, telling him to act.

Later in the manifesto, the writer quotes the Virginia Tech mass killer, Seung Hui Cho, calls him “his boy,” and expresses admiration for the Columbine High School killers. “Also, I was influenced by Seung–Hui Cho. That’s my boy right there. He got NEARLY double the amount that Eric Harris and Dylann Klebold got…just sayin.'"

Sources familiar with the investigation tell ABC News that in his attack, Flanagan used a Glock 19 -- a firearm similar to one that Cho used in his mass attack.

In Flanagan's often rambling letter to authorities, family and friends, he writes of a long list of grievances. In one part of the document, Flanagan calls it a “Suicide Note for Friends and Family."

He says he has been attacked by black men and white females

He talks about how he was attacked for being a gay, black man

He says has suffered racial discrimination, sexual harassment and bullying at work

A source with direct knowledge of his complaints against the station said a pair of tweets sent today and attributed to him accurately reflect previous complaints he lodged against the two people he killed today. These are the two Tweets: “Alison made racist comments,” and, “Adam went to hr on me after working with me one time!!!”

Nowhere in the document does he make specific threats against anyone from WDBJ.

In his manifesto, he says he encountered "nasty racist things" while working at WDBJ-7 in Roanoke, and that drove him to sue the station. "I marched down to the courthouse and sued WDBJ7 by myself and they settled! HA!"

He continues: "I can remember one day in particular... leaving the courthouse... feeling overwhelmed... confused... even some fear. But by golly I knew I HAD to fight. ... They truly f----d with my life and caused an awful chain of events." He says he even killed his cats in a forest "because of them."

Flanagan says that, "Hell yeah, I made mistakes," noting that he "should not have been so curt" with photographers in Roanoke. "ut you know why I was? The damn news director was a micromanaging tyrant!!"

And we should ****ing do something about it for once.

Seriously, this monster has stumbled onto something horrific and new. Wearing a GoPro while you commit a shooting and then tweeting the video. This will not be the last time this happens.

It's a huge issue, doing something about it. If you mean stricter gun laws, I don't have any answers or ideas there. Obviously, some common sense when it comes to laws would be helpful, but crazy people will still get guns. Hell, you can print them now. It's seems so easy, it's ridiculous. I'm not a gun owner, and know very little about guns though. My thoughts are all pretty uneducated in any gun debate talk. I fear that you're right on your last point. 

It's not surprising that it shocks the conscience to watch a PoV of a murder. It's truly horrible. You could see the look of sheer terror on their faces as they were murdered.

It SHOULD **** with all of our heads that this happened. And we should ****ing do something about it for once.

Seriously, this monster has stumbled onto something horrific and new. Wearing a GoPro while you commit a shooting and then tweeting the video. This will not be the last time this happens.

It isn't that new unfortunately.  The go-pro idea maybe is.  But the whole tape yourself (or have someone tape you) while killing or raping people has been used a lot in recent years in war zones.  Also people video-taping themselves right before (and sometimes while) they get killed.

of course you don't agree, you said it. These 'bad bosses' must be something sending flyers around to all news stations because this isn't the first time. Are there bad bosses? Absolutely, that doesn't mean go shoot them or have the green light to. If it's happened more than once then the problem probably isn't your bosses. People no longer hold themselves accountable, they expect handouts for just showing up. This shot is getting bad and it's happening fairly quickly. Quit blaming others for your own failures and struggles, more than likely the issue is with the person looking for answers due to multiple failures. People don't fail you multiple times just because. Obviously you're not doing something right. Figure it out and fix it and quit looking at other people as being the cause of your lack of success.

You DO NOT know everyone's situation. You don't. You're right, you can't go around killing people because of a bad situation, but you need to get off that soapbox. Until you live everyone's life, don't sit there and act as if you're all knowing.

Example: What if you have a boss that uses covert racism? Or he doesn't care for women workers? Or older workers? The only people he respects are people just like himself. Guess who's not moving up the ladder?

Just saw the video of the shooting. Holy crap that's scary.

I just wish we could take guns off the street once and for all. Tired of the senseless violence.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims families.

taking crazy off the streets might be simpler, and neither easy

Everybody these day talks about turning to mental health for this stuff, but we've long fielded a culture that not only won't support it financially (though they'll spend billions on fireworks and pet toys every year etc), it also tends to minimize/mock/disrespect much of the profession. Not to mention the inordinate amount of challenging education and practice it requires to get to any decently substantial position in a field that overall offers quite minimal financial compensation as the norm. 

Want to know what some of those mhp folks vent when they hear that stuff? "yeah, go **** yourselves, assholes."

But of course they do want to help. Most I know simply do what they always have done in other matters---not wait for society to catch up or care about mental health like they do "physical" health (a stupid social distinction) and really help, just find a way to get er done maxing out your every connection, pro skill, or bit of general knowledge that may apply to such challenges the best they can.

Yah, imagine if you wanted to do this.  It would be next to impossible without inside info

It wouldn't surprise me at all if IT and HR didn't make sure all of his credentials were deleted or deactivated after he was fired. Things like that are more common than you think. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if IT and HR didn't make sure all of his credentials were deleted or deactivated after he was fired. Things like that are more common than you think. 

All he has to do is still talk with people from the station. It's not like reporters are going to keep their interviews a secret.

Considering his reputation there, you really think he hadn't already burned every bridge he had with anyone who worked there?

Nope. There's always someone who fraternizes with someone else where you work, no matter how much that person is universally loathed.

Dm72 is like you don't know these crazy people what they're going through you don't know them

I do

I do

This week is pretty bad and we all go through bad spells but this is different. This guy was paranoid and blamed misfortunes on race or homophobia. Why would we want to see his perspective or understand the plight of a man who was clearly misguided and paranoid and quick to blame problems on society instead of himself? Tell me why.

Also nydn is scum :

New York Daily News Shocks With Graphic Cover Of Murdered Journalists

Huffington Post‎ - 7 hours ago

Lol dm trying to claim it was a bad environment. Only in the perceived mind of the killer. This is a great environment where they were literally a family. The victims were to marry station employees. You watch them grieve yesterday and you tell me that's a hostile environment. Furthest thing from. Be real dude

In the end there is no justification for workplace violence. There is no excuse, no rational reason. Claim racism. It does happen. Then work somewhere else. He apparently had no problem switching stations.

People are assholes sometimes. But it doesn't justify their death. And that's what you don't understand. Amazon is under attack for a harsh corporate culture. Most of us dealing with that culture would just move away or quit.

When you only have to drive 4 miles/round trip, that's very convenient. Plus, I'm not trying to lose health insurance, over 1200 hours of sick leave and 22 plus years of seniority. And me and a few others quitting would be EXACTLY what those cheap asses would like. I'm not going to get too much into it, but things have been somewhat better lately.

Then YOU are choosing to stay in a ****ty situation. YOU value money, time-off and benefits over your well being. It's like an abused woman staying with a man who beats her because they have a good quality of life.

Why would we want to see his perspective or understand the plight of a man who was clearly misguided and paranoid and quick to blame problems on society instead of himself? Tell me why.

I'm pretty sure that was meant to be a rhetorical question, but I can think of an answer to it. You have to understand the disease in order to cure it.

I'm gonna try to help DM a little here and hopefully don't get flamed myself.  What I THINK he is trying to say is he can UNDERSTAND the thoughts of the killer.  That in no ways means he AGREES with or thinks the killers thoughts/actions are JUSTIFIED.  Only that he can understand where they come from. 

There are some crimes that I don't agree with but I can at least understand the thought process.  The guy that kills his wife for cheating on him for example.  I don't condone it but I can at least understand it.  The guy that kills his wife and kids, I just can't even wrap my head around that.  In no way can I even imagine what would be going on inside someones head to make them want to do that.

I can UNDERSTAND the thoughts of this particular killer.  Anyone who has ever wanted to punch their boss in the face can probably at least somewhat UNDERSTAND the thoughts of this killer.  The difference between you and the killer is you have the self control to not go on a shooting spree.  By admitting you UNDERSTAND in no way means you AGREE with the killer.

The difference between you and the killer is you have the self control to not go on a shooting spree.  By admitting you UNDERSTAND in no way means you AGREE with the killer.

No. The difference between me (along with billions of other people), and this lunatic, is that the thought of killing people who anger me doesn't even enter my train of thought. Much less the planning and execution of it.

Archived