Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins Losing Steam

TE#80

I have been on this board forever.  I rarely post anymore for many of the reasons stated above.  Especially the part of having to sift through thousands of posts to find some actual relevant team news.

That said, When the team took over the board from the original creators, it was a hot mess for quite a while until ES Got it's legs back under it.  

I pop in every once in a while, mostly on the Tailgate.  The Owned thread is still a classic!!

It is to laugh

I've been a member here for 11+ yrs and there's one thing that hasn't changed- people pissin' n moanin' about the board, it isn't what it used to be, it hasn't become what it ought to be, those gawdam Nazi mods are stifling their genius, yadda yadda yadda ****in' yadda.......

This is a large community w/ more than its share of quality posters and a staff that devotes a great deal of effort to maintaining it, in spite of their obvious mental instability that makes them devote said effort. There is a lot to like here, a lot to work with here, far more than other sites, and if it isn't enough then someone needs to either get off their ass and work on making it better or stfu.

This is a FREEBIE folks, a goddam freebie that lets you learn and vent and weep together while we all wait for this team to get their **** together, but in the end it's a freebie.

Ungrateful mother****ers

i do like the idea of having a sub forum for the draft.  I know there is a Mock draft forum but that is to specific for making a full draft and not discussing a specific player that needs to be watched, etc. 

I honestly hate most of our sub-forums already... they're just dead zones.   

This is a large community w/ more than its share of quality posters and a staff that devotes a great deal of effort to maintaining it, in spite of their obvious mental instability that makes them devote said effort. 

Woah, woah, woah... I'm terribly offended by this statement here, but just one part really... who said we devote any effort!?  

Point is, you gotta adapt. Also, WE are the message board. Make threads with thought in them and they won't get closed. I was a terrible poster when I first started in 2009 but I learned quickly. Just have confidence and do it.

This is a fantastic point.

Put something up, even if you have a question on it.  I've spent more and more time over in the tailgate (the more you post on here, I find the more you get to know certain posters better and will linger over there to talk about other stuff) especially discussing offseason sports (hockey, soccer, etc). 

But drive the discussion by all means, within the limits of our rules, and do your part in making this a better board.

I can promise you there will be chalk talk threads coming up in the next couple of weeks.  Both roster cut down days are just around the corner and you just know something is going to happen on one play in the first few games that'll infuriate us or bring us joy... those will be ****in' threads as well.

But worst case take some initiative and be brave.  Bang and Dan T. are not that mean of people...

But worst case take some initiative and be brave.  

And, I'd add to this, don't get so offended if you do violate a rule and the mods penalize you for it. It's not that big of a deal. Just learn, everyone forgives and forgets.

I mean, I can't speak from experience, though. I've always been the perfect poster here and my awesomeness just boosted the place from the start.    

I do think that there is a little bit of fear about posting new threads at the moment. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but - as a group - we seem to be less tolerant of stupid threads. That's good, because stupid threads are stupid. But it's bad if it stops people from posting good ideas.

I'm not sure how to fix that.

Maybe we need a "best new thread" contest to break the logjam.

PS

I also don't start many new threads any longer which is clearly hurting the board. This is probably all my fault.

I do think that there is a little bit of fear about posting new threads at the moment. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but - as a group - we seem to be less tolerant of stupid threads. That's good, because stupid threads are stupid. But it's bad if it stops people from posting good ideas.

I'm not sure how to fix that.

Maybe we need a "best new thread" contest to break the logjam.

PS

I also don't start many new threads any longer which is clearly hurting the board. This is probably all my fault.

Can we get a roster breakdown of the current team and compare them to the 80s WWF?

I understand the purpose and need of "mega" threads.  I am completely okay with it.  I don't ever post, but have been reading this forum for as long ass I can remember. It has been a great source for information on my 'skins.   :) .  The only complaint I have is that I do the majority of my reading on my mobile, and the mobile view of the site could use some tweaking.  When I go to click a particular thread it takes me to the OP.  In normal view I could just click the last page, and problem is solved.  But in mobile view there aren't any options available to do so.  So now when I click on one of the "mega" threads,  I have to click through hundreds of pages to get to the latest posts. I am not sure this is the avenue to express this concern. Or if this is even fixable. Admittedly, this could just be user error as well. 

The other thing I've noted in recent years is how apologetic some are in making a thread. It's like they feel the need to ask permission and are afraid to do so. I have read way to many opening 'graphs that started "I hope this is thread worthy, but I've noticed..."

^^ This makes me cringe every time I see a new thread posted.  There have been so many jerks over the years jumping down someone's throat for posting a topic that is already somewhere else or just doesn't merit a new thread.  People are too gun shy to post a new thread anymore.  But asking permission or having some type of justification before getting to your point of the thread is just plain ridiculous.

I agree, that does bother me as well and it's why I've made it a point to encourage people to start threads.

But here's the thing. Most times, it's not the mods. Just look at the first page of posts to the majority of new threads, and you'll find a large percentage of them are from long-tenured posters here pretty much bashing the OP, either for making the thread in the first place or its content.

ES, by virtue of its size alone, can be an unforgiving place.

A lot of the thread locks are mercy locks, lol.

All these wannabe mods put me on tilt.  The mods are here for a reason. Let them do their job and decide whether something is thread worthy.  The backseat/armchair mods (as in regular posters acting like they are a mod) make me want to punch old ladies and kick my dog.

It alone has increased my self-esteem to the point where I can go outside and wave at my neighbors with my head held high. I still get things thrown at me, but it's a vast improvement.

thesubmittedone - you are winning off the field.

This is my biggest issue lately. Someone try's to start a thread with something fresh and other members immediately jump in with "why isnt this in this thread" or some other kind of smart comment. I wish members would just let the Mods do their jobs and stay out of trying to police the board.

Perfect example of what the armchair mods do that I hate.

The stadium has had a Random Thought (spelled "thot"---the op was making a joke on some spelling gaffes like "paloffs") thread for a long time. 

Honestly, I've never clicked on that thread because I figured it was something dumb since "thot" means "that hoe over there" to the cool kids.

Bottom line is that this place is not as good as it used to be.  I refuse to go through 500 pages to catch up on a thread because I am not on here every day.  Also, I've lost a lot of interest because there are way too many negative people and discussions on here in general.  As fans, there isn't a lot of positives in this organization, so I get it.  But with things having been bad for so long, discussing the Redskins with others is like discussing politics.  You're not going to change anyone's opinions because they believe what they want to believe.

That being said, my favorite section is the Breaking News section.  HapHaszard's posts are my go-to spot for information.  That and just going onto Twitter to see what I can find.

I know I don't contribute a ton around here, but these are a lot of reasons why I don't really want to interact.  There are LOTS of good folks/posters here, but the few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

C.J.

I must agree that this place has lost a lost of steam for me too. Its gone way too mainstream for my liking..

There are many other outlets I prefer to look at now then ES.

A lot of it is due to big threads which manage to discuss several threads in one.

I saw one of the mods stating that it generates large amounts of conversation, but I am not a fan at all of that. I would rather read an article and read pathetic comments then to come here and read a 500 page thread. Who cares that it breaks all time thread records. Its an accommodating administrative setup for admins but not a friendly news site for me.

And mods - dont get upset that this is my opinion. Dont threaten to NNT (WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT NNT) me, disable my acct, tell me I just broke Board Rule 6,005A, or tell me to go somewhere else. Dont even reply back to me on this thread. This reply is for members.

I have been a member here for 10 years and have minimal posts. Yet, I find out about most Redskins news before it is even posted here.

**Just FYI - Members have started threads similar to this.***

ammo, didn't you know that when I die I wanted my post count put on my tombstone, so that all the ES posters who visited my memorial could look on in astonishment? 

btw, I could separate the tweets individually if post counts were my actual goal in life, my sides hurt tho, thanks. 

I could be wrong but I assumed he meant the post count for people that go in the Twitter thread and post dumb **** and not to you who post the twitter stuff.

I like the twitter thread because I don't have a twitter account and don't know how to use it.  I did wish that the amount of discussions in that thread were kept to a minimum though so I can just scroll through tweets.  Just my $.02 though.

Archived