Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Championship + sucking or Playoffs

HtownRocks111

Championship or remain competitive?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather win a championship and be a bottom-of-the-barrel team for the next 10 years or have 10 seasons of making the playoffs?

• Championship, baby!
    • Playoffs!?! You talkin' bout playoffs!?!

I find this question intriguing.  As much as everyone wants a championship and a ring... is it worth it IF you knew you'd suck for the next 10 years?  I personally enjoy watching my team do well year in and year out even if they don't win the ring.  What's your opinion?

I know the Redskins have been bad for ages now... and maybe the whole question with the time period being 10 years isn't excruciating enough, but you get the idea.  I guess maybe it depends on what team youre a fan of.  Im sure Cleveland would glady take a championship as they tend to suck year in and year out.  

So...

Tampas super bowl year (02) and everything thta went with it after winning the SB (yes I know they had two playoff years after but everything else has sucked)

Or

San Diego Chargers.

lol yeah.... but I mean some fans are die hard when it comes to championships  (championship or bust)...eagles have been in the playoffs alot the last 16 years but never sniffed the trophy.  Im sure they're fans would accept getting pee'd on in exchange for one ring, just one mf'in ring.

Is it ten years of sucking leading to a championship, or a championship then ten years of sucking?

Either way, those are my top two. Of the 2, I'd take the championship then sucking because wins now are wins now.

Then is the other option the best (ten years of building then championship) and it could be the Packers or something like that and a way to building a dynasty. But it could also be Synder move where we sell the farm and buy high, get a championship and then go back to sucking. But so what, its a championship.

But there is also the 10 years of playing well, ala Eagles (or where the Nationals are headed) vs the Gibbs years where each year we had a good team that was in every game (minus one or two), but just can't win. Thats excruciating but I'd take that over the team we had last year, where we didn't lose too many games by too many points, but you just knew we were out of it. I'm thinking SF and Seattle in particular. Tampa as well. Giants come in there with the Griffin fumble.

Give me a team that doesn't make mistakes over time and I thinks going to win a championship given enough time 

So far, the Gibbs' Super Bowls have sustained me through decades of frustration. The feeling of winning, community, and triumph is better than consistent winning. It's the difference between euphoria and contentedness.

At the moment, I'll settle for a good year though. Heck, I might even settle for one really good, dominating game.

The Gibbs Super Bowls sustained me up until about 2005. Now, I just don't even care to dust those off. It's been 23 years since we've won a SB.  I'm in the what have you done for me lately.

And as for the poll, I want neither.  I want the same kind of run we had from 1981-1992. I want winning/good records, division titles and a chance at winning multiple SBs. 

So is it guaranteed championship in 10 versus potential championships 10 straight years?

Give me 10 straight playoffs seasons by far.

I took it as Championship + 10 years of sucking or 10 years in playoffs but no championship.

I chose championship. With what we've been through the last 10 years, I want a GD championship.

I chose championship. With what we've been through the last 10 years, I want a GD championship.

Yeah championship beats no championship all day, that's why I figured he meant guaranteed versus not. Still tho, 10 years? A decade? It's only been 2 years since this team last had success and it feels like an eternity.

Question: Suppose the Redskins had won a Super Bowl during one of the Gibbs 2 years (say, 2005), but the rest of Snyder's ownership remained unchanged. Would Dan then be regarded as a good/great owner?

As for the original question, I lean toward playoffs for a long stetch.  I'd love to have late season and postseason games that matter for a long time rather than our season being over by November except for the one magical season. I could see where fanbases like Cleveland and Philadelphia's who have never seen their team hoist the Lombardi might feel differently.

I was 5 the last time the Skins hoisted the Lombardi. Since then there have been, what, 5 playoff appearances, and 3 wins? And since 2005, it's been 2 1-and-done appearances?

Yeah, everybody wants to be the 80's 49ers, the 82-91 Redskins, the early 90's Cowboys, or the Patriots since '01. But for once, I'd like to be able to remember one of those Championships that we hold over the heads of Eagles fans. I'd like to be a consistent winner, but I'd rather win one like Tampa and suck for a decade, than be a decade-long bridesmaid like the Eagles.

Question: Suppose the Redskins had won a Super Bowl during one of the Gibbs 2 years (say, 2005), but the rest of Snyder's ownership remained unchanged. Would Dan then be regarded as a good/great owner?

No,but Gibbs legacy would surpass Lombardis and they might even have to rename the trophy.

As for the original question, I lean toward playoffs for a long stetch.  I'd love to have late season and postseason games that matter for a long time rather than our season being over by November except for the one magical season. I could see where fanbases like Cleveland and Philadelphia's who have never seen their team hoist the Lombardi might feel differently.

Here's the thing about that though. There has never been a game as painful as the Raiders Super Bowl loss. There have been miserable, rotten games, but nothing quite like losing the Super Bowl. To feel that close and get kicked in the teeth and then stomped on the head was horrible. Mind you, I was 14 which didn't help, but in some ways it is a lot better to be a never was than an almost.

I can't imagine the pain those Buffalo fans endured in losing their their third Super Bowl in a row. Holy Lucy, Batman. Let Charlie Brown kick that football at least once!

very thought provoking...I think that 10 years of playoffs with out a chance or hope of winning it all would make the playoffs just meaningless games...and by extension the regular season games...now if it were once a decade - we will have a team that has an 80% chance of winning it all..or  for 10 years.. playoffs but just a 7% per season chance of winning the super bowl...I'd probably take my chance with 10 year playoff..

I wanna say playoffs because I like having a competitive team every season. I wanna say playoffs because that at least gives the possibility of a championship each season. It's great having a successful team.

Then I think about the Andy Ried Eagles of the 2000's and laugh because they never won a Super Bowl.

Then I think of the Washington Capitals of recent and I want to cry.

So maybe a championship followed by lots of suck wouldn't be so awful...

Archived