Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS DC: IRS Getting Pressured To Crack Down On Televangelists Following John Oliver’s Segment

Jumbo

How is not taxing a church "essentially taxing everyone else to support that group"? They don't receive anything tangible from the gov't. That part of your argument is nonsense.

The government takes in X dollars to operate through tax revenue. If organizations Y and Z do not pay taxes, then the taxes must be raised on others to make up the deficit.

You're right. I know you mean that sarcastically but you're right. That's the difficulty. The wall of separation works both ways and people can choose to worship an individual and give them all their money and it's a religion.

c'est la vie.

You guys are right.

~Bang

I had the same reaction Dan T did to your comment. I should have deleted the Redskins clip post earlier when I saw it and thought "how is that going to be on topic" but I didn't care to watch it so I just moved on. And I kind of figured the point was probably a "look at what dumbass said about our team so why believe anything else" kind of deal.

One surefire way to get my goat is to bring up the name change - particularly when it's some semi respected pompous schlub going for a cheap, feel good, "this point is so obvious, you're an imbecile if you dare disagree with it" laugh..... And, they're factually incorrect.

Of course, I post, knowing it's off topic, and I'm busy, and I'm at work, so I'll certainly not be thorough.....

I did, for my part, have the old "let's take it to the appropriate thread" post all lined up.

;)

This isn't going to make any impact I bet.

If a politician called out these ingrates they would be skewered as "anti-religion" or even worse, "atheist". Political suicide to go against a Christian church of any fashion (unless they are black or Korean). It's like being anti-prison... political suicide.

This isn't going to make any impact I bet.

If a politician called out these ingrates they would be skewered as "anti-religion" or even worse, "atheist". Political suicide to go against a Christian church of any fashion (unless they are black or Korean). It's like being anti-prison... political suicide.

I can think of nothing the Republican Party more desperately needs, right now, than for "Obama's IRS" to begin "targeting churches". 

I'm honestly curious how many of these hucksters truly believe what they're peddling and how many are just straight up sociopaths who found an incredibly lucrative con game.

Is it just me or does the word "sociopath" get thrown around way too loosely these days? I think they are human and from a Christian point of view, they are not us. Fakes, charlatans, false teachers, whose teaching has roots in eastern mysticism, with a veneer of Christianity smeared over the top.

Is it just me or does the word "sociopath" get thrown around way too loosely these days? I think they are human and from a Christian point of view, they are not us. Fakes, charlatans, false teachers, whose teaching has roots in eastern mysticism, with a veneer of Christianity smeared over the top.

I have a hard time believing that a person who makes millions by using religion to knowingly con money out of people who are poor, desperate, and sick ISN'T a person incapable of empathy. These despicable people seem to have many of the more obvious characteristics of sociopathy. Obviously it isn't black and white; there are degrees.

I'm curious what Jumbo thinks, being a mental health professional.

I have a hard time believing that a person who makes millions by using religion to knowingly con money out of people who are poor, desperate, and sick ISN'T a person incapable of empathy. These despicable people seem to have many of the more obvious characteristics of sociopathy. Obviously it isn't black and white; there are degrees.

I'm curious what Jumbo thinks, being a mental health professional.

And I'm not saying they aren't that, it was a general statement.

Hopefully this will lead to government not giving special treatment to religious non-profits.

Why just religious one's Alexey?

i am curious about this whole structure.... how do these non-profits distribute the loot they pilfer?   they are are not allowed to make dividend payments to equity, and still remain a non-profit.  The "salaries" to their "employees" are probably exorbitant, but those are taxed as regular income...right?   I suppose they can buy things (like palaces and fleets of rolls royces) and hold them in trust while the charlatans use them?  

Hopefully this will lead to government not giving special treatment to religious non-profits.

Catholic priests take a vow of poverty.  Should they be allowed to receive government aid like medicaid and food stamps?  Should the Little Sisters of the Poor receive free government housing?

i am curious about this whole structure.... how do these non-profits distribute the loot they pilfer?   they are are not allowed to make dividend payments to equity, and still remain a non-profit.  The "salaries" to their "employees" are probably exorbitant, but those are taxed as regular income...right?   I suppose they can buy things (like palaces and fleets of rolls royces) and hold them in trust while the charlatans use them?  

They are taxed as income. As somebody involved in Christian ministry (bi-vocational), ministers are self-employed for the purpose of income tax. Church organizations have trustees and BOD's and have holdings. I assume that's what crooks like Creflo Dollar utilize to their advantage.

They are taxed as income. As somebody involved in Christian ministry (bi-vocational), ministers are self-employed for the purpose of income tax. Church organizations have trustees and BOD's and have holdings. I assume that's what crooks like Creflo Dollar utilize to their advantage.

I am certain the Zguy is correct that they are taxed as income.  I am also certain that there are a very large number of exemptions built into the tax code for churches to exploit.  I'm sure some are more aggressive than others.  

Here is the Charlotte Observer article I read a few weeks ago on this subject.

Inspirational Network CEO David Cerullo’s total compensation climbed to almost $5.7 million in 2013, according to the organization’s latest available tax filings. In a 2009 interview, Cerullo told the Observer that he works 60 to 80 hours a week overseeing cable networks, a ministry and a television production company.JEFF SINERjsiner@charlotteoberver.com

By Jacob Steimer

jacobsteimer@gmail.com

INDIAN LAND, S.C.

Inspirational Network CEO David Cerullo, long one of the nation’s best-paid leaders of religious charities, watched his total compensation soar to almost $5.7 million in 2013, according to the organization’s latest available tax filings.

That amount is more than double what he made the previous year and dwarfs the salaries paid by most nonprofits of comparable size.

For the past 25 years, the cable networks controlled by Cerullo’s Charlotte-area charity have grown rapidly. They sprang from the remnants of Jim Bakker’s bankrupt PTL Club in 1990 and now broadcast to 175 million homes in 150 countries.

From 1998 to 2013, the nonprofit’s revenues rose from just under $15 million to more than $165 million. Much of the network’s money has been raised by televangelists who tell viewers that God brings financial favor to those who donate.

While all of Cerullo’s pay is listed on the nonprofit’s tax form, 75 percent of his compensation comes from his work with the organization’s wholly owned for-profit subsidiary INSP, company spokesman Ronn Torossian said in a statement.

Read more at link below:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article29578540.html

Fun facts about Joel Osteen

He lives in a $10.5 million home, which boasts six bedrooms, six bathrooms, three elevators, five fireplaces, a guest house, and pool house

His estimated net worth is over $40 million.

His teachings about prosperity have been publically called into question. Writing for The Huffington Post, pastor Rick Henderson said he has preached against Osteen’s teachings, as well as those of Joyce Meyer, at his church. “They both teach a twisted form of Christianity that teaches obedience, giving, and faith as a way to get things from God,” he wrote. “They are both products of what is known as the Prosperity Gospel and The Word of Faith Movement, or the Seed Faith Movement.” 

Osteen’s services include no crosses or religious symbols at all, which is one aspect of his ministry that sparks frequent intense debate among other Christians. “I think it's a cotton candy gospel," the Rev. Michael Horton, professor of theology at Westminster Seminary in Escondido, California, told CBS News. “His core message is God is nice, you're nice, be nice. It's sort of a, if it were a form of music, I think it would be easy listening. He uses the Bible like a fortune cookie. 'This is what's gonna happen for you. There's gonna be a windfall in your life tomorrow.' The Bible's not meant to be read that way."

joel-osteen-1.jpg

Archived