Cooley today on the radio:

He's better than anything they currently have

Is sure he'll play somewhere this year.

Will take the bare minimum.

Apparently his name is polarizing in the FO with some ppl behind him

Willing to teach the other TEs on the roster

Will give $50K of his pay to charity

This man is 33 years old...I'll take the camp bodies

I thought just a little under a week ago that someone said that team employees, like Cooley is for ESPN 980, have to be unemployed by a team for a year before they're eligible to sign. It was fun to joke about Cooley, but unless that someone was wrong, Cooley won't be able to help us unless he feels like lending a hand in coaching up our TEs.

Well, what is the least amount of money we could spend on Cooley? Before the injuries i would have said heck no. But now, i guess anything goes.

Well based on what Cooley has proposed to the Redskins he will take $875,000 with no incentives or bonuses, and will waive all player rights which means if they cut him they owe nothing, and if he makes the team and they cut him after week 1, they don't owe him the rest of his money for games thereafter, and if they cut him after week 8, he promises not to sign anywhere else for the rest of the season incase they need to bring him back in later.  He also said he will do a private undisclosed workout where if he kills it they can sign him and if he bombs, he'll say they never gave him a workout with no ill will.  

Honest question.  Is Cooley known for his blocking?  seems like thats the type of tight end were trying to bring in.  I remember him mostly for his clutch catches on third down across the middle.  I know he was never particularly fast, to me his hands were always his best attribute.

I also know he started his career as an H back so I'm sure he was initially asked to do alot of blocking, but would people say that it was his strong suit?

I thought just a little under a week ago that someone said that team employees, like Cooley is for ESPN 980, have to be unemployed by a team for a year before they're eligible to sign. It was fun to joke about Cooley, but unless that someone was wrong, Cooley won't be able to help us unless he feels like lending a hand in coaching up our TEs.

I'd like a firm answer to this.  If it's true than there is no reason to keep talking about Cooley.  If it's not true than its at least worth discussing.  I'm not real good at researching NFL rules on this type of thing though and don't know enough about Cooley's current employment situation.  Does his pay check say "Washington Redskins" or "ESPN 980"?  Does that make a difference?  Can we sign someone who works for Six Flags?  This is an area where I admit I don't know **** but would like to learn more about it.

I've had two Vikings fans tell me they think they will probably be cutting Chase Ford at some point. I don't know anything about him, but they both said they liked him, but the Vikes drafted a young guy and he might get cut in a numbers game. He had a career game against us last year (of course he did). Definitely seems like there will be some serviceable guys out there with cut downs, if the young guys we have don't work out (I hope they all do). Just looking at depth charts, it seems like there's a lot of TEs on rosters right now that won't be soon. Some teams have 8-9 TEs right now.

I've had two Vikings fans tell me they think they will probably be cutting Chase Ford at some point. I don't know anything about him, but they both said they liked him, but the Vikes drafted a young guy and he might get cut in a numbers game. He had a career game against us last year (of course he did). Definitely seems like there will be some serviceable guys out there with cut downs, if the young guys we have don't work out (I hope they all do). Just looking at depth charts, it seems like there's a lot of TEs on rosters right now that won't be soon. Some teams have 8-9 TEs right now.

Yep, Ryan Clark was covering him. LOL

Honest question.  Is Cooley known for his blocking?  seems like thats the type of tight end were trying to bring in.  I remember him mostly for his clutch catches on third down across the middle.  I know he was never particularly fast, to me his hands were always his best attribute.

I also know he started his career as an H back so I'm sure he was initially asked to do alot of blocking, but would people say that it was his strong suit?

That was my point...a release valve for RG3 that will CATCH the ball (Unlike Paulson). Don't need to be fast. Just get off the line, contact a blitzer and separate if RG3 is blitzed..a quick 5-7 yard slant for positive yardage...a bang/bang play..with RG3 out of shotgun or RO you don't need the blocking ability as much...

IF Cooley can still catch in a crowd...give him a look...no camp fodder or reject is going to have "good" blocking skills...won't happen

I've never heard of this. Can someone expand on what the rules are? Not saying you are wrong, just that I was unaware.

During the 70's and early 80's Rooney used to employee borderline players on staff (broadcasters, etc), so that he could call upon them midseason if someone went down. The NFL implemented this rule in attempts to close this loophole.

During the 70's and early 80's Rooney used to employee borderline players on staff (broadcasters, etc), so that he could call upon them midseason if someone went down. The NFL implemented this rule in attempts to close this loophole.

Hadn't heard that.  But I do remember reading claims that the Gibbs I Redskins used to do something similar, by stashing young depth on IR.  I assume that's why the NFL implemented the "must clear waivers before going on IR" rule. 

Cooley sounds like a redskins homer

Good.  :)

Some comments (apologize in advance if some of this is paraphrased - tried to get exact words):

- When asked about comeback he said he understands if Washington wants to develop younger players and go in a different direction. Doesn't want to pressure them. Respects Scot.

- Talked about D and thinks Keenan Robinson is one of best LB's in game today. Kerrigan great. Mentioned Dashon Goldson and doesn't think he is washed up. Thinks D is very close.

- When asked about Griffins comments he said it was a fastball down the middle to national media and made it easy for them to skewer his words

- Agreed with Charles Barkleys comments (who was on earlier with M&M) that Griffin needs to prove it to the locker room

- Says team is trying hard and is rallying around Griffin (mentioned Garcon and Desean jackson specifically). Thinks Griffin feeds off positive energy and team needs to provide that to him and pump him up.

I'm sure I missed a couple things but that is the gist.

Some comments (apologize in advance if some of this is paraphrased - tried to get exact words):

- When asked about comeback he said he understands if Washington wants to develop younger players and go in a different direction. Doesn't want to pressure them. Respects Scot.

- Talked about D and thinks Keenan Robinson is one of best LB's in game today. Kerrigan great. Mentioned Dashon Goldson and doesn't think he is washed up. Thinks D is very close.

- When asked about Griffins comments he said it was a fastball down the middle to national media and made it easy for them to skewer his words

- Agreed with Charles Barkleys comments (who was on earlier with M&M) that Griffin needs to prove it to the locker room

- Says team is trying hard and is rallying around Griffin (mentioned Garcon and Desean jackson specifically). Thinks Griffin feeds off positive energy and team needs to provide that to him and pump him up.

I'm sure I missed a couple things but that is the gist.

you pretty much summed it up

Who would they want in return?  I don't see Scot giving up any draft picks of value.  There is no way that Dallas can keep four tight ends and a fullback.  If they try to get Swaim onto the practice squad, the Skins can pick him up for nothing.

Just read that Hannah has a sprained knee.

Hannah is listed as day to day, but I'm almost certain that none of the 4 TEs will be released.  Hannah may be traded, but if not, we will go with 4 RBs and a FB because more than likely we will keep only 2 QBs, 5 WRs and 9 OL which puts us at 24 on offense.  Can't see Dallas moving Hannah for a player, a draft pick, in the 5th to 6th range (Dallas gave up a 2016 6th to draft Swaim) sounds about right.

I think if that were the case, somebody would've said that and put an end to all this. But neither Cooley, Gruden, or GMSM has said that. I find it hard to believe the parties involved aren't aware of this, if true.

Man, Just give Cooley a look already. Especially given his terms for a contract. I'm convinced that it is Scot who is the one who is against bringing Cooley in because a signing like that seems to go against his principles with respect to his vision for this team going forward...and I DO respect that. However, that was before this team essentially lost their top three TEs to start the season (ok, only two of three but you know Reed won't last half the season and is already gimpy in the preseason). I agree with an earlier poster that above Cooley's on-field contributions, his leadership and locker room presence are equally key attributes he brings.  

Man, Just give Cooley a look already. Especially given his terms for a contract. I'm convinced that it is Scot who is against bringing Cooley in because a signing like that seems to go against his principles with respect to his vision for this team going forward...and I DO respect that. However, that was before this team essentially lost their top three TEs to start the season (ok, only two of three but you know Reed won't last half the season and is already gimpy in the preseason). I agree with an earlier poster that above Cooley's on-field contributions, his leadership and locker room presence are equally key attributes he brings.  

They have locker room leaders and position coaches but what is needed is a TE that can competitively play the position.  Perhaps that player is on the roster.  Chris was on the downside of his career when he was let go and there isn't a genie in the bottle that will make him magically better if given a chance.  Please stop with the let's give Cooley a chance mantra.  I thank the lord we have a genuine GM to block this crazy talk!

HTTR!

Archived