Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I the only one concerned about our secondary?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

I have a lot of concerns on D,from players to coaches (with few exceptions) but I see a lot of potential too. I can't imagine they are worse than last year, and should probably be better, but how much better remains to be seen.

Can't agree with the harsh judgement of Hall... at least not yet.

I am more concerned with our D-coordinator! He initially said we are going to attack/attack/attack with our D, then recently he said we are going to keep the receivers in front of the D....Attacking defenses will give up occasional big plays, cautious defenses die a death of a 1000 cuts!

Attacking D's, are usually run by savvy DC's, prevent D. is for the DC who is just trying not to look that bad, he just wants to get by and keep his job! He was a disaster in Detroit - was it him, or the talent he has to work with??? Great DC's find a way to be effective even if it's inconsistent...I have a bad feeling about J. Barry!

Yes.. I know it's very early, and we need to give him a chance, but....?

Well, obviously you don't want any receiver behind your defense, because it spells doom on any passing play. And having secondaries always placed between their receiver and the TD zone doesn't mean that the front 7 won't run like hell to get the opposing QB.

Don't read to much into a coach speak. Just like players, let the play do the talking for them.

Back to the secondary, it's been a recurring theme around for many years. I'm not going to get mad at them right now because, even if it's not working properly we also have to take into considerations those points:

- We've added lots of new guys around. (Culliver, Johnson, Dashon, mainly).

- One is coming back from a tough injury.

- We've added a new Secondary coach. (Perry Fewell)

- We've added a new DC (Joe Barry)

- It's just the first preseason game.They're not supposed to be ready by then.

All of these takes some time to gel, get accustomed to new defensive playbook, get healthy for many.

And for all I care, they can get toasted all they want during preseason, if they aren't starting Week 1 to 17, I'll be fine with them.

I am more concerned with our D-coordinator! He initially said we are going to attack/attack/attack with our D, then recently he said we are going to keep the receivers in front of the D....Attacking defenses will give up occasional big plays, cautious defenses die a death of a 1000 cuts!

Attacking D's, are usually run by savvy DC's, prevent D. is for the DC who is just trying not to look that bad, he just wants to get by and keep his job! He was a disaster in Detroit - was it him, or the talent he has to work with??? Great DC's find a way to be effective even if it's inconsistent...I have a bad feeling about J. Barry!

Yes.. I know it's very early, and we need to give him a chance, but....?

I'd be surprised if any DC came to a new team promising to play passive defense and avoid the big plays.  That being said, there isn't much to gain by blitzing a lot in preseason.  Now is a good time to put maximum pressure on the defensive backs, especially the safeties. We have two players with double-digit sacks in recent years - no pressing need to see what they can do.  But the safeties are a major question mark IMO.  They need to prove it.

I'm intrigued by this Dunbar kid. Not that I expect him to be a contributor, but to look pretty good in a game having not played cb since HS? Add to that his size and Cully's words to him... yeah, I'm intrigued.

BTW...

DeAngelo Hall isn’t yet back in top form, but he says each day brings a new experience. Today he tried playing press coverage for the first time in camp. His surgically repaired Achilles’ hasn’t hurt at all, but it’s a matter of building up his confidence in the ligament and redeveloping his reaction skills. Ross and Jones both got by Hall. However, he did better later in practice while matched up with Garcon. The pass didn’t come their way. Hall was moderately encouraged after practice, but noted that he has a long way to go before he feels like his old self.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/08/15/observations-from-day-14-of-redskins-training-camp/

Here's hoping a few more weeks helps.

I share your concerns, but dont share your concerns.  First, I share them because we still have a lot of the same players as last year, and the safeties we added are big unknowns.  Adding unknowns doenst just make a defensive backfield good.

But, I dont share your concerns for the following reasons:

1. The Browns got only 125 passing yards last night.  Thats...not good.  The best QB in YPA was 6.6, again...not good.

2. The Browns really scored 7 points, outside of one pass interference by Culliver on a ball that was nowhere close to being caught.  I dont count the fumble by Redd, when hes in the midst of a season ending injury anything other than horrible bad luck.

3. Adding a legit #1 in Culliver meant all of the previous DBs, who were playing out of their league, are now back in their property slots.  Hall isnt a #1, nor is Breeland, but they can play #2 and #3.  Amerson isnt even a #3 corner, but now he can play as the #4.  This is a case where adding one player improved 4 positions.

4. Even if the secondary is below average, its a big improvement over last year, and if the improved Dline ads more pressure, all of the sudden you get an average secondary, again, a big improvement.  We didnt really think we were going for zero to hero did we?

5. I think Duke is a really good safety, and he proved it before he got injured. Hes better than any safety we had last year.

Missed Tackles has been the theme of this team for the last 10 or 15 years. So has penalties and missed opportunities. I saw one of our guys go down on kick off return, miss the guy, run after him and miss him a second time. The reason that types of things happen is due to the "Charging Ram" technique. It is when a person lowers his head and uses his head as a battering ram while diving at the runners feet only to come up with nothing but air. I use to play high school football and the tackling technique that I was taught was to hit the runner in the chest and wrap your arms around while driving him back. There are times where you will get "Hit by the Semi" but most of the time you either slowed him down enough for others to tackle him or he is going to the ground with you. So the question is when does a pro athlete lose the technique? It seems that making the big hit is more important than tackling a player. 

Penalties is another issue that baffles me. How do you get false starts in your own stadium? The Redskins are in the top 5 in the number of penalties. Go look at the stats and they will show you that. So until the Redskins can be more discipline and stop using the  "Charging Ram" technique they will continue to make things harder for them to win.

I think they probably needed to move on from Hall. One thing this organization loves to do is hold on to players a year or two too long. I know it's pre season but Hall was getting picked on by Brian Hartline. C'mon man. What's it going to be like with Cruz and Beckham? Plus how well can our safeties hold up? We could be in for a long year back there.

Missed Tackles has been the theme of this team for the last 10 or 15 years.....

Outside of a few good years, I thought the theme was to give up 9 yards on first down, and 99 yard drives.

Yes there have been missed tackles because we have been passive; WRs and backs get the ball in space with speed playing as off as we have making our free and others look lost.

And, we talk up being aggressive, wanting to get after the QB, but in reality, it has been mostly bend don't break. Carlos cushion. Read React and get Run over. Playing scared including of rookie QBs, who had our number for many years.

The times we didn't go bend don't break in the past 5 years, was the back half of 2012 when Haslett got after QBs (acceptance of exotic failures, mind you - and viola we made the loffs) and in a few games versus Dallas. 

I think they'll be good by the end of the season if they stay healthy. Big if there. But I like the new talent. They're going to take a while to gel because of the injuries going into the year. But it's not like we're thinking Superbowl. We're just looking for tangible progress.

Reason I like this new group is because they are so much more physical and the tackling should be so much better. Having Deangelo Hall as your most reliable and energetic and productive tackler means your defense is going to be soft. But Breeland, Culliver, Goldson, etc. Those guys can actually set a physical tone and make the tough open field plays. I think Johnson will be a part of that identity too. For the first time in six years I see swagger and pride in the defense and the new pieces in the secondary are part of that.

With the CBA cutting down on "contact" practices, players aren't able to practice or get in the groove of tackling.  I was watching the Raiders/Rams game and Matt Millen was talking about preseason being full of missed tackles and that you hope it doesn't filter over into the regular season.  But there is nothing the players can do. 

I expect Hall to be dropped down to nickel playing outside in those situations once Breeland returns. Achilles injuries are tough to come back from. Even harder when you are old and losing a step as it is. I am confident in Culliver and Breeland. I think Ihenacho will be an upgrade from last season. Am i expecting us to lock down the opposing passing game? No. Do i expect there to be not as many free runners behind the secondary as last year? Absolutely. However, I think it really is going to depend on how much better our front 7 plays. If they dont play well, dont expect our secondary to cover for them. If they do play well, I expect the secondary to be serviceable and able to create some turnovers.

I'm still wondering about Jeron Johnson. Everybody was hyped about getting him, but the starting SS spot never really seemed all that close. I mean, it still is good depth, but I think we were all hoping it was a numbers game in Seattle keeping him from shining.

I feel like secondary is the weakest part of our team. Breeland is the only CB I would consider good. I honestly don't know much about Culliver and Amerson got burned consistently. Safeties are weak.

Breeland had a few moments of fantastic play, but he was also very inconsistent. Overall, his body of work across the entire 2014 season was just slightly above average. People think he is better than he is because of one good game...really two great plays during that game. Two great plays don't make a CB great.

Amerson is better than you think. Most of the plays when it appeared he was "burned" were really situations where he correctly handed off a receiver moving through his zone to a safety that wasn't where he was supposed to be. CBs in zone coverage often get undeserved blame for bad safety play. By the way, during the game that made Breeland famous, Amerson actually spent more snaps in single man-coverage against Dez Bryant, than Breeland did, and did not allow a catch.

I doubt Hall's body will ever be able to do what he wants it to do again. Nobody ever recovers from a torn Achilles. It is clear to me that his mind hasn't realized his body's limitations. I expect him to get injured early in the season. Not from contact, but from trying to make a move that he can't actually make anymore.

Culliver is well above average, but not a top tier CB. That's okay. I'd rather have a secondary made up of all above average players, than one with two superstars and two liabilities.

Much depends on the safeties. It is important for CBs and safeties to see the routes in the same way, and develop a feel for each other. Since there are so many new people in the mix, I would expect some major mistakes early in the season. Once they all get a feel for each other, this secondary can be okay.

Combine an improved pass rush, and less gambling by the D.C., and this defense will be less likely to be the reason for a loss.

^ Good to hear something good about Amerson.  I hope Hall is the exception in recovering from the achilles injury:

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

"Of the 31 players who sustained an Achilles tendon rupture, 21 (64%) returned to play in the NFL at an average of 11 months after injury. In the three seasons following their return, those 21 players saw significant decreases in games played and power ratings compared to the three seasons preceding the injury."

"Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season...."

wait... there is a chance that the worst secondary in the league last year * might * not be really good THIS year??? 

say it ain't so, Joe...say it ain't so!   

I bet some here would say our secondary was worse in 2012 when we made the playoffs. Madieu Williams leading the charge. Many didn't seem to like Hall... at that salary at least.  Josh Wilson Pugh and Murphy. 

Mr Utilty Reed Doughty.... actually kicked ass in that playoff game on special assignment mirroring Wilson after he gashed us early. 13T 2FL 2 Hits and a PD. Haslett finally was using players to their strengths. 

BOX Score 

Make no mistake, we made the playoffs because Haslett unleashed the front 7 after QBs early in games, and decided enough rookies had embarrassed his passive base D and went after Foles.  Suddenly the DBs did just fine. 

My only thought watching D-Hall the other night is that he looked to be playing at 70% speed and intensity.

The question comes down to is that due to injury or due to cheating a bit during preseason.

Given Halls history, the latter wouldn't surprise me

deangelo played? thought he sat out week 1 for precaution...i watched the whole game and dont remember seeing him.

I bet some here would say our secondary was worse in 2012 when we made the playoffs. Madieu Williams leading the charge. Many didn't seem to like Hall... at that salary at least.  Josh Wilson Pugh and Murphy. 

Make no mistake, we made the playoffs because Haslett unleashed the front 7 after QBs early in games, and decided enough rookies had embarrassed his passive base D and went after Foles.  Suddenly the DBs did just fine. 

The 2012 defense was 30th in passing yard defense, 30th in passing TDs, 29th in passing 1st downs, and 25th in net yards/attempt. The offense, however, scored an additional 8.5 points per game relative to the 2014 team.

This team can't afford to be anywhere near as bad as the 2012 defense.

Archived