Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Preseason Game 1 - Things you want to see (check caveat at top)

ZRagone

So we're now under 12 hours away from having Redskins Football once again. The first preseason game is tonight and I think it's time to get our minds right on what we're all looking for. So here's my question, and it comes with a caveat (in bold):

What three things...not counting the quarterbacks...are you looking for tonight? What are you hoping to see that may excite you? Or perhaps help you gain clarity about a position or player? Or might help to belay a fear. What three things are your eyes going to be focusing on (again, not counting the quarterbacks).

Here's mine:

1) Backup Tight Ends.  All three of our main guys are hurt. Paulsen's injury may be serious, and I wouldn't mind moving on from him anyways. Reed is seemingly ALWAYS hurt, so that naturally leaves me leery. I'm anxious to see the young TE's we have on this roster and if any of them may perform well enough to possibly push for that 3rd TE spot. This game for the TE's may be like the game 3 years ago for Alfred where all the HB's were injured; a chance for someone to rise to the occasion.

2) Josh LeReibus.  I'm hoping he gets a lot of time at Center. I'm anxious to see how he does. Do we have clean exchanges all night long? Does he seem to keep the center of our line from collapsing in. I still am rooting for Ribs and I'm also rooting for us to have a potential successor to Lichtensteiger next year.

3) Pot Roast's impact.  I want to see what this defense looks like with a true Nose Tackle in there. Even if it's just for a few snaps, I want to see what impact he may have on the rest of our line and our LB's. I have no doubt he'll be a good player for us, so it's not so much wanting to watch HIM. Rather, I want to watch all of our defense AROUND him and how it changes things having such a big body in there.

So those are my top three that I'm looking for tonight. What are yours?

1 Winning physical battles on the front 5 of D

2 OL other than Trent winning physical battle on a consistent basis

3 RBs look like they have pass pro down

Number 1 is expected, 2 will be tough against a good Browns DL.  3 will be about time if it transpires :)

1. No injuries!

2. Lost it's luster with Crowder out, but I want to see what the kick returners look like. It's been so long since we had a legit threat returning punts or kicks. I guess Banks was the last closest thing we had, but he really was a flash in the pan. I guess tonight it will be Rashad Ross, Trey Williams, and Chris Thompson. Not really worried about seeing Roberts back there.

3. Young guys. Along with the TEs, I want to see what the young CBs look like and am hoping they look like they can be good depth. Specifically, I hope to see Justin Rogers, Cromartie-Smith, and/or Deshazor Everett show well. Also want to see what Evan Spencer looks like in a real game.

4. Of course the retooled OL and DL, but I'll say no injuries again. No injuries!

Justin Rogers, Cromartie-Smith, and/or Deshazor Everett

CB was battling for a spot on my top three. Very interested to see how these young guys do. I'm especially interested in Everett, who I liked as a late round flier guy coming out of the draft due to his size.

Is this the insomniac thread?

I haven't slept for 8 months.

I want to see Robert play smart. Take no unnecessary hits, and to play with conviction, not indecisiveness.

I do NOT want to see jailbreaks up the A gaps vs our starters. Callaghan is putting in the time, seemingly a great hire, and I want to see early progress posted.

All of the above, but more, I want to see DEPTH. I want to see back ups that look like they are starter material. I want to see the bottom of the roster guys make a push up the ladder.

We are going to have injuries. A good team can deal with it. For the past twenty years, we've mostly failed at that. I want to see a back up good enough to Wally Pip a starter.

Game management: No delay of game penalties or using timeouts because the play didn't get in in time. Using the clock wisely at the end of the half and end of the game.

Discipline: Very few offsides, holding, defenseless player hits, block in the backs, facemasks etc... penalties.

Proper procedures: Minimal illegal formations / shifts / motions, 12 men on the field, ineligible player, etc...penalties.

And finally I want us to out-physical the opponent for one on one matchups.

(1) O-Line: I'm not sure why, but I've been kinda rooting for LeRibeus. He got proper embarrassed a few days ago and has got to prove he's worth a roster spot. I also want to see some plays with pulling guards and am looking forward to seeing Sherff finish off a block 10 yards up the field.

(2) DB's: It's been a perennial weakness, especially at safety. We've had poor players, injuries and freak accidents. Now the injury bug seems to have hit the CB's. Some players have got to step up.

(3) Special Teams: (No comment needed)

1.  A reason to care.  Since I first started seriously following the team in 1991, I've never been less engaged in a Redskins season than going into this season.  I hope to see something -- anything -- on the field that entertains me, whether it be good passing play, or good running play, or good defensive play.  The last several seasons the on-field product has left me feeling somewhere between bored and nauseous 98% of the time.

2.  A reason to hope.  For example an improved O-line, or a tighter secondary, or anything else to make me think the players are pointed in the right direction.  Because I'm not feeling it at all based on training camp reports.

3.  The Nats to stop their slide, with a win against the Giants.  Because I know I'm not getting 1 and 2 above out the Redskins, and I'd like to redeem at least a part of my evening.   Although I don't think I'm going to get this one, either. 

Ok so not counting the quarterback...Hmm, I hope to see...

the receivers catch balls that arrive on time within the design of the play.

O'linemen hold up their blocks until the ball is released on time from the pocket with rhythm.

running backs catch the balls that are delivered to them when the primary reads are not open.

Besides that, the defense, I cant wait to see Murphy, Smith, and the other rookies hopefully get some real playing time.

Archived