Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Lawsuit alleges: 7-year-old quizzed on religion, ordered to sit alone at lunch for telling classmates he didn’t believe in God

China

Lawsuit alleges: 7-year-old quizzed on religion, ordered to sit alone at lunch for telling classmates he didn’t believe in God

The allegations from the Complaint, which claims the teacher’s actions violated the child’s First Amendment rights:

1. In February of 2015, A.B. was a second grader at Forest Park Elementary School, a school that is within Fort Wayne Community Schools. During a discussion with classmates on the playground he responded to a question by indicating that he did not go to church because he did not believe in God. This resulted in his teacher interrogating the child as to his beliefs and requiring the child to sit by himself during lunch and not talk to his classmates during lunch for three days. This violates the First Amendment. The defendant’s actions caused great distress to A.B. and resulted in the child being ostracized by his peers past the three-day “banishment.” No meaningful attempt has been made to remedy these injuries and the child seeks his damages. . . .

28. After this three-day period, and after V.S. complained, A.B. was told by [the teacher] and other teachers that he could believe what he wants.

29. But this was after A.B. had been publicly separated from his classmates and informed that he could not speak to them. All the students in his class heard and were aware of this. He was publicly shamed and made to feel that his personal beliefs were terribly wrong.

30. No efforts were made to correct the damages that had been done.

31. A.B. came home from school on multiple occasions crying saying that he knows that everyone at school — teachers and students — hate him.

Click on the link for the rest

1). I think we've all seen cases like this, where the allegations in a lawsuit differ considerably from reality.

2). Having said that, there's a whole lot of really stupid people in this world. And I suppose it's possible that there's one person in this country who's stupid enough to do this.

For folks always crying that "happy holidays" = religious persecution..  this is what real religious persecution looks like.. albeit a relatively mild case considering the atrocities that have been carried out over similar comments down through the ages.

For everyone crying that God needs to be in our schools..  well,, this is what happens when you let religion begin to dictate all action.

Anything is reasonable when you believe you're doing it for the Great Big Nothing Upstairs. 

Including doing this to a child... AND teaching every OTHER child that this is acceptable.

7 year olds don't learn as much from words as they do from actions. 

~Bang

The FWCS has also responded.

Fort Wayne Community Schools values the diversity in the students, staff and families in our district in all aspects, including race, religion, color, gender, national origin, sexuality, disability or native language. A lawsuit recently filed against Forest Park Teacher Michelle Meyer alleges that she did not uphold these beliefs. However, an investigation conducted by FWCS immediately upon notification of the incident found no merit in the allegations included in the lawsuit. Our investigation in March found she acted appropriately in dealing with an issue between students in a significantly different manner than detailed in the lawsuit. As a school district, we feel we must defend and protect the reputation of our staff when members are being unfairly maligned. While it is always a citizen’s right to pursue legal action, we are saddened that this has become an issue threatening the integrity of one of our teachers, of our staff, of our schools and of our community.

1). I think we've all seen cases like this, where the allegations in a lawsuit differ considerably from reality.

2). Having said that, there's a whole lot of really stupid people in this world. And I suppose it's possible that there's one person in this country who's stupid enough to do this.

I am going to have to agree with Larry on this. This seems a little out there. I will have to wait for more information before I form judgment on this.

If the teacher separated him because of this, then the teacher is wrong.

The FWCS has also responded.

Well I'm glad they responded with clarity letting the world know exactly what really happened. It would have looked bad had they chosen to be vague and simply absolved themselves of any wrongful action.

It would have looked bad had they chosen to be vague and simply absolved themselves of any wrongful action.

I suspect being vague is to avoid any legal reprecussions.

To be honest, I have no idea who is on the right side here. I do know that school systems don't blanket protect teachers anymore though. I just shared their response to add some more info to the story.

The vagueness might have to do with their responsibility to protect the confidentiality of their students.

I'm not an expert on the matter, but its pretty common for people suing doctors/government to leak things related to their case because they know their adversary is extremely legally limited with that regard.  That way they can create a PR nightmare for that party and pressure an out of court settlement.

Again, we're all grasping at straws here, but I don't see anything alarming about the vague response from the school board.

Wow, I wonder if there is a Westboro Church nearby.

Nah, if this story is true, there is no way a normal Christian person would condone the actions being taken against this 7 year old child. If anything if I was a parent of a child AB age, I would encourage them to be friends with the kid.

I think this case will follow the path of (1) Side of Parents, (2) Side of School, (3) Actual events somewhere in-between.

As a 'religious' person myself, I very much hope that the parent's account isn't true, as they don't reflect what should be the real POV of religion.  Everyone should be comfortable making their own decisions, free from any punishment or fear of retribution.

So, at least the way things appear on the front page for me, the title of the thread was "telling classmates he didn't believe in..."

Knowing China I thought it was going to be Santa Claus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or something.

<edit>  Everyone should be comfortable making their own decisions, free from any punishment or fear of retribution.

Oh hell no, amigo.

I will have to work with you on grinding the weak and helpless under the iron heel of oppression.

It's just one section of my Pithy Therapy® model, and I also use it in the "new mods training."

Plus you'll get the ES member discount, so win-win!

As someone who was raised Catholic and in a religious house that went to church every Sunday as did the grandparents and other members of the family, I have found myself drifting further and further away from church and religion.  I pretty much don't go and have no faith.  It's not that I don't believe, it's more of an agnostic thing.  But lately I have been thinking this- Religion over centuries has been a major cause around the world of: 

Wars

Death

Hatred

Arguing

Fighting

Anti-semitism

etc.

I mean, when was the last time you have had a civil talk with someone (of a different faith or belief) about religion without it getting heated?  So many wars caused by religion.  Hell, you can say the current climate in the middle east is basically about religion. People get so riled up about their beliefs

I don't know, I just feel that religion is the root of a lot of evils right now. Just my personal view. Not saying I'm right. It's just how I feel.

I'm a teacher. The profession has changed so much even in just the last decade. A lot of it has to do with the amount of people whose bias towards their own children leaves them completely blind to reality and the percentage of those people who are willing to go the litigious route if they don't get their way.

I mean, when was the last time you have had a civil talk with someone (of a different faith or belief) about religion without it getting heated?  

All the time, unless the talk is to insult instead of discuss.

but then I am a rather mellow fellow. :)

Archived