Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's talk about investing! Stock market, ETF, etc.

Springfield

15 hours ago, Burgold said:

These days, I like ETFs a bit better than mutual funds. Generally lower fees. Tracking a full sector might limit some of the upside, but it's worked pretty well for me.

Actively managed mutual funds perform worse and cost more than ETFs or index funds. Mutual funds are for suckers.

Edited by Corcaigh

4 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

If OZSC ever hits 2 dollars I’m rich. 

May end up buying more - at 2,750 shares now at .185 ; have pretty much everything else tied up in CCIV and Tesla.  And S&P which I'll probably move to invest in others.

Edited by steve09ru

The stock market is easy. There’s no trick to it and it’s not about being smart... it’s about having patience and not being stupid.

Step 1: make some money

Step 2: save and invest in a diversified portfolio

Step 3: keep doing steps 1 & 2 over a long period of time

If you’re willing to get rich slowly, it’s actually guaranteed to happen.

• Like 2

Be careful out there...

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=219228

"Abstract

Individual investors who hold common stocks directly pay a tremendous performance penalty for active trading. Of 66,465 households with accounts at a large discount broker during 1991 to 1996, those that traded most earned an annual return of 11.4 percent, while the market returned 17.9 percent. The average household earned an annual return of 16.4 percent, tilted its common stock investment toward high-beta, small, value stocks, and turned over 75 percent of its portfolio annually. Overconfidence can explain high trading levels and the resulting poor performance of individual investors. Our central message is that trading is hazardous to your wealth."

• Like 4

I tend towards the buy and hold method. I try to only buy stocks where I understand how they will make money. I view it as the Warren Buffett approach.

That said, I also believe in having exit points in my investments too.  That goes for having a ceiling and a floor. I also have been doing more vanguard ETF's and vaguard index fund than individual stocks.

• Like 2

I have never thought much about the process of short selling until this past week.  I think I understand the concept of how one share of stock can result in multiple short positions and lead to more short positions than available shares.  This was what I heard a lot of people saying made gme a once in a lifetime short squeeze opportunity.

My question is, doesn't the same process that creates multiple short positions from a single share result in multiple short positions being able to be closed with the purchase of a single share?

I shifted a good portion of my portfolio to the various ARK ETF’s several months ago and I have no regrets. I will also be going in on ARK’s space ETF when it launches in March (ARKX). Perfectly happy with Cathie Wood managing my money. 

Edited by No Excuses

1 hour ago, daveakl said:

So Robinhood froze me / labeled my account as a day trader.  What is another good app/site to use for casual trading?

I’ve used E*Trade for over a decade.  I’m not a day trader, more of a buy and hold guy.  But I’ve never had any difficulty with access to make trades when I wanted.  Recently I’ve consolidated some old 401k and opened a ROTH IRA on their platform.

Transactions used to cost about $7 per trade, but now they are free for stocks listed on the NYSE, Nasdaq, and I believe the ASE.  If you want to dabble in the pink sheets, they’ll charge you for those transactions.

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Weed stocks are lighting it up in pre-market today - SNDL, APHA, TLRY, HUGE, CRON

Most of the weed stocks are all Canadian companies and I am skeptical that they’ll make inroads in the US.

There’s a marijuana ETF called MSOS which bundles American weed companies. Keeping my eye on it as talks of decriminalization and federal legalization keeps heating up. 

• Like 1