Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's talk about investing! Stock market, ETF, etc.

Springfield

So I read the last few pages here and honestly don’t really understand much of it.  I’m pretty dumb on different types of investments.  My wife and I have a pretty good chunk in her 401K, about $30k in savings, and the point of this question, about $16k in her company’s stock (TNET).  Her company does a program where she buys it at a lower price at a certain point during the year.  Because of multiple shake-ups and other factors, we are not convinced that it will keep rising as it has been.  So we are considering cashing it out and using that cash to.........what?

I retire from the military early next year and will begin receiving my pension plus I expect a healthy disability check.  She recently started her own business and, hoping in succeeds, will leave her current job before too long.  My thought is some sort of mutual fund but I don’t even know where to start there other than saying those words.

Thoughts?  

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Thoughts?  

I posted this earlier, but this is a free e-book that does a very good job of laying out how a new investor can set up a simple, inexpensive, and easy to manage portfolio and plan for retirement: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf It's also free on Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Millennials-Slowly-ebook/dp/B00JCC5JKI

I don't do things exactly as Dr. Bernstein recommends, but it'll get you there.

If you want excellent but more tailored advice, I'd recommend registering at bogleheads and asking for help there: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212 The forum is populated by a large number of very knowledgable people, including financial academics and authors, and they give of their time freely helping others. You'll get good advice there.

I wouldn't recommend asking here, though... this thread is full of degenerate gamblers. 😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Thoughts?  

Techboy might chime in with a book for you but here are a few quick reads.

Sites like vanguard.com are a really good place to start. https://investor.vanguard.com/investing/how-to-invest/

If you have no interest in trying to build your own portfolio, the Target Date or Life Strategy funds are a great approach where you decide when you want to start using the money (and/or the level of risk you are comfortable with) and the advisor manages it in an efficient and low cost way.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/target-retirement/#/

or https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/lifestrategy/#/

2 hours ago, techboy said:

I wouldn't recommend asking here, though... this thread is full of degenerate gamblers. 😁

And Redskins fans as well. Degenerate gamblers and long-term losers living in denial.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

I’m also a big fan of the Boglehead forums.

A few years ago I hired a fee-only financial planning firm to review my current situation and what I was thinking. Thanks to what I learned on the Vanguard and Boglehead sites they had no recommended changes to my investment approach. The checkup was useful in other areas like insurance and estate planning, but on the investment side everything was good.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Well managed Tech ETF’s will probably continue beating index funds on returns. ARKK is probably the best tech ETF and it has crushed VTI over the past five years. Should you put all of your money in just one sector, absolutely not. It’s good to have a healthy chunk of your portfolio safely parked in low risk index funds. It’s also beyond silly at this point to not see how tech is simply on a different playing field. Do what you want with your money, but if you think we are only headed towards more digitization and automation, you would probably do well to position some portion of your portfolio towards tech.

A lot of SPACs look like scams, be careful out there.

I know alot of spacs are scams but alot of them for me are for those initial pops and doing valid research. I got into DKNG, golden nugget, space, hyln and a few others. 

19 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So I read the last few pages here and honestly don’t really understand much of it.  I’m pretty dumb on different types of investments.  My wife and I have a pretty good chunk in her 401K, about $30k in savings, and the point of this question, about $16k in her company’s stock (TNET).  Her company does a program where she buys it at a lower price at a certain point during the year.  Because of multiple shake-ups and other factors, we are not convinced that it will keep rising as it has been.  So we are considering cashing it out and using that cash to.........what?

I retire from the military early next year and will begin receiving my pension plus I expect a healthy disability check.  She recently started her own business and, hoping in succeeds, will leave her current job before too long.  My thought is some sort of mutual fund but I don’t even know where to start there other than saying those words.

Thoughts?  

I’d look into selling the company stock.  I was contracting at Freddie Mac during the meltdown and watched people who had accumulated a ton of compensation in the form of company stock watch the share price go from over $60 to under $5 in one year.

How much will your pension + disability cover your current income?  Not many people in this country have the benefit of a pension anymore.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/29/949257672/the-spectacular-rise-of-spacs-the-backwards-ipo-thats-taking-over-wall-street

"So what is a SPAC? A "special purpose acquisition company" is a way for a company to go public without all the paperwork of a traditional IPO, or initial public offering.

In an IPO, a company announces it wants to go public, then discloses a lot of details about its business operations. After that, investors put money into the company in exchange for shares.

A SPAC flips that process around. Investors pool their money together first, with no idea what company they're investing in. The SPAC goes public as a shell company. The required disclosures are easier than those for a regular IPO, because a pile of money doesn't have any business operations to describe.

Then, generally, the SPAC goes out and looks for a real company that wants to go public, and they merge together. The company gets the stock ticker and the pile of money much more quickly than through a normal IPO."

Sounds like a great idea. No way that could go terribly wrong.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

How much will your pension + disability cover your current income?  Not many people in this country have the benefit of a pension anymore.

Assuming he's on the legacy one, I think it should be 2.5% x number of years service x final monthly base pay (or maybe its hi 3?).

So for example 20 years would get him 50% salary + disabilities.

At least that's how my Dad's retirement was (or at least that's how I understood it). 

Not chump change but I'd suspect he'll still work. Also, thank you again for your service Buzz. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, techboy said:

Sounds like a great idea. No way that could go terribly wrong.

Risky for the individual investor for sure. Private companies are typically cheaper than publicly traded ones (because of all the due diligence the public ones have to go through, duh).

If you have reason to really trust the people running the SPAC and it's not a big portion of your net worth then I can see the attraction. Not for me.

7 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I should be looking at about 75% or so of my current bring home pay.  Though we have planned for that change in pay and prepared for it.  Then I will get COLA raises so it should stay the equivalent to $55k in today’s dollars.  And all tax free.

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Assuming he's on the legacy one, I think it should be 2.5% x number of years service x final monthly base pay (or maybe its hi 3?).

So for example 20 years would get him 50% salary + disabilities.

At least that's how my Dad's retirement was (or at least that's how I understood it). 

Not chump change but I'd suspect he'll still work. Also, thank you again for your service Buzz. 

I’m high-3.  So 50% of the average base pay for the last 3 years.  Plus disability which I won’t know until I do all my VA stuff.  But from talking to my sister who is a VA case manager, she said to expect 100% (I’m pretty ****ed up) so I’ve been using 70% for budgeting purposes.  Better to underestimate than over estimate.  But I don’t plan on working, at least not a real job.  That is the plan we have been setting ourselves up for.  I’ve said my retirement plan is “Hi.  Welcome to Walmart.”

28 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Definitely find something to do..people seem to die off when they don't. My Dad went back in to teaching after 29 years away. He also got a hefty disability decision from a significant loss of hearing (attributed to being on ships the first half of his career).

Gl dude.

Oh I’ll keep going with my photography.  I just don’t expect for that to be profitable.

18 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Degenerate gamblers, thoughts on rumored PSTH and Stripe merger?

Stripe is a company that would make sense to me as a long-term investment. But with St Patrick's Day coming up, if Reddit/wallstreetbets finds out that the CEO and founder of Stripe is a ginger Irishman (also called Patrick) who knows what might happen.

41 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ive only recently started messing with SPAC’s starting with CCIV and their rumored merge with Lucid Motors. Stripe seems legit, so what could possibly go wrong??

I touched only one SPAC so far and I’m thinking of exiting that and yolo’ing it into PSTH on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 4:54 PM, Springfield said:

Hoping for a Lucid announcement before 2/19 when my OTM calls expire.

Also, i threw some money at CCV today because why the **** not?

same i am selling a call this friday for $40.  my entry point is 17 though so i am up pretty big already 

Ok, OTC help needed.

I bought 250k shares of a cheap one (yes, my "gamble"). TDAmeritrade started breaking the buy into a rapid series of 10,000 share transactions every 5 seconds.

Who, or what entity, determines the transaction size? The "company" I'm buying into or TDAmeritrade? I haven't found anything that states OTC transactions are limited to certain quantity of shares.

Edited again - I was able to cancel the order before completiin but I think I'm getting smacked with a whole bunch of TDAmeritrade transaction fees when the dust settles.

Edited by Metalhead