Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Just saw the replay of the second penalty kick foul. That is an all-time terrible call. 

And the ref used the VAR,  MaFifa ! :806:;) France vs USA is of course much better (€€€), than France vs Spain.

Justice department is harrassing Platini over bribery charges it should focus on Infantino and his minions instead.

Edited by FrFan

Jill Ellis has gotten by on the dominating talent difference of the US women since taking over for Sundhaggen (sp?) Solo nailed it in her comments about her. No surprise when Sundhaggen beat her in the olympics. Not hard to outcoach her.

Ellis continues to run the same players out there, with little development of youngsters, and has poor tactical awareness, IMO. In the women’s game today, she would be far down on my list of top coaches.

Changing the defensive dynamic to playing out of the back is great, but you gotta have the players. Sauerbrun has been one of the USWNT’s greatest performers, but she is not good with the ball at her feet. Rapinoe still has a big foot, but looks like she is running in sand any more. Christian Press put on one of the best performances for this team in this tournament against Chile...she should be starting. I’m also not enamored with Tobin on the wing. Her passing and technical ability scream #10 to me. Rather see her playing in behind Morgan and/or Lloyd, with Press and Pugh on the wings.

And, ffs, is Naeher the best keeper in America? If so, some coaches should be losing jobs.

Edited by Long n Left

I was just surprised watching the game how few tackles with cleats up werr called on Spain. Yes, the penalty kick was called, but I thought there were a half dozen more that went uncalled which would get cards in a game where the ref had control. I was impressed by the cool of our women and their lack of retaliation penalties. My college and after college teams would probably have let the game get out of control.

• Like 1

I just cant care about this WWC with all of the negativity coming from the USWNT fans, and perhaps people just using the USWNT, to trash the mens team. I dont understand the need to split and trash the two/lift up one by trashing the other. Really soured me on watching the games to the point I just cant get into it. Im pretty frustrated with a lot going on with the mens team as my rants here indicate, but thats very different than what a lot of people are doing.

On the mens side, I have only seen a little bit of Paxton Pomykal, but from what I have seen he looks to be really good. What exactly do Will Trapp or Michael Bradley do better then him? On a smaller sample size of the U-20 World Cup and a couple of club games, a midfield with Pomykal, McKennie, and Adams would be awesome. Anyone more familiar with Pomykal than I am that can shed some light?

• Like 1

Pomykal is a talented young attacking midfielder. The question becomes, where do you slot Pulisic. CP has been playing that #10 for the USMNT, sitting behind the striker, with free reign to move around as he sees fit. I think the thought is, Sargent at striker, Adams as holding mid, Weah on one wing, then you either slot Pulisic on the other wing, with Pomykal central, or Pulisic at ACM, with another wing, maybe Morris. Would be nice to see Pomykal and Pulisic on the pitch together, to see how they work.

Also, Claudio Reyna’s 16 year old son is supposed to be a can’t miss prospect at ACM as well. US has players for the front 6-7, it’s the back line, minus Steffen, that needs work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Pomykal is a talented young attacking midfielder. The question becomes, where do you slot Pulisic. CP has been playing that #10 for the USMNT, sitting behind the striker, with free reign to move around as he sees fit. I think the thought is, Sargent at striker, Adams as holding mid, Weah on one wing, then you either slot Pulisic on the other wing, with Pomykal central, or Pulisic at ACM, with another wing, maybe Morris. Would be nice to see Pomykal and Pulisic on the pitch together, to see how they work.

Also, Claudio Reyna’s 16 year old son is supposed to be a can’t miss prospect at ACM as well. US has players for the front 6-7, it’s the back line, minus Steffen, that needs work.

If hes good, Im all for sticking Pulisic on the wings, just not standing with his feet on the chalk as he should be able to still come middle when he wants. But Pulisic on the wing with Weah or even Boyd and Adams, McKennie, and Pomykal in the middle we could be really dynamic.

Something like this in my mind would be great and with all of these players being 20 or younger we would have a long time with them leading the way forward. Our younger players are just more skilled as they have grown up with the game even more and just better people to learn from. Why not run this type of lineup out and see what you have? Its frustrating to see the time wasted by bringing in players who dont deserve it anymore, Bradley, and other players that just arent good enough. Hard to be optimistic about future players when it seems like they arent willing to get rid of the old guard just because, at least until we actually see different.

Sargent

Weah                             Pulisic

Pomykal

McKennie         Adams

Obviously this wasnt an option this Gold Cup with the U-20 World Cup and Adams being hurt. Though he would have been played at RB anyway.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, MisterPinstripe said:

Obviously this wasnt an option this Gold Cup with the U-20 World Cup and Adams being hurt. Though he would have been played at RB anyway.

Which is one of the biggest wastes of talent I’ve seen in US Soccer.

Just noticed Berhalter not singing the national anthem. Not a good look, IMO. Singing the anthem as you represent your national team is a footy tradition.

Klinsman always sang as US manager.

Edited by Long n Left

Lineup tonight is a head scratcher. Play all the guys who haven’t been playing. Not the best way to build continuity and familiarity amongst your young players, and Miazga and Morris are the only ones in this side that have a chance at being players on the senior side, IMO. 

Altidore looks cooked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Which is one of the biggest wastes of talent I’ve seen in US Soccer.

Just noticed Berhalter not singing the national anthem. Not a good look, IMO. Singing the anthem as you represent your national team is a footy tradition.

Klinsman always sang as US manager.

Oh man, dont even get me started. Im almost glad he backed out injured for the Gold Cup as otherwise I would just be enraged all game seeing him played at RB. Lets play one of the best players on our team, who is one of the best players on a Champions League team in the Bundesliga playing in the midfield, at RB! You cant help but think its so that he can either have his guy Trapp play or because US Soccer is locked into Michael Bradley regardless of how he plays. When we were getting ready to fail to qualify for the World Cup and Michael Bradley was fricken WALKING to take the corner rather then sprinting he should have been never called in again for any reason.

If we play our best midfield we have tons of talent, enough to control a game/compete against pretty much anyone at least when it comes to the midfield. RB Leipzig congratulated Adams on the call up before the Gold Cup and rightly was confused as to why he was called in as a defender.

11 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Lineup tonight is a head scratcher. Play all the guys who haven’t been playing. Not the best way to build continuity and familiarity amongst your young players, and Miazga and Morris are the only ones in this side that have a chance at being players on the senior side, IMO. 

Altidore looks cooked.

Yeah, for some reason US Soccer coaches dont like the idea, or understand the concept of, of building chemistry or continuity. At LEAST have whatever your starting CBs are still on the field to build that chemistry thats so important. And Omar Gonzalez continues to be awful and has no business near the national team. If he is out on that field against any time that isnt bad he will be destroyed, heck he was ripped a part by a B team Panama.... The player selection from Berhalter is mindblowing, I dont understand what is wrong with these people that they cant see what EVERYONE else can.

2 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

I would be shocked if a fresh Press or Jessica McDonald isn't subbed in. That heat has to be murder.

Dilemma of the USWNT, you’ve got so much talent and only 3 subs. Morgan looks off her game, would not be surprised at seeing Carli soo . Maybe she should have started. I’d probably sub Mewis with Horan also. US looks slow in midfield apart from Lavalle, why I’d be making Heath a 10 instead of wing. 3rd sub for me is determined by game, but probably Press for Rapinoe...maybe Davidson in late to see game out with a lead.