Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So France is supposed to be one of the best teams in the world? They cant seem to hit most simple passes among other things.

Nothing surprising since we've got a lousy coach who keeps on benching our most talented winger and who didn't even bother to select the best scorer of our national championship.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was an interesting game because France looked like they couldn't make simple passes, yet I felt that they had way more chances to score than the US but they couldn't actually get shots on goal. Shots were off just like their passing was. I was surprised when I saw that their pass accuracy was higher than the US, I guess their missed passes were just so poor it stood out more. 

Especially in that second half France were dominating, which could be worrying. But from what it looks like there isn't anyone else left in the tournament that is much of a threat so the US should win easily.

4 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

That was an interesting game because France looked like they couldn't make simple passes, yet I felt that they had way more chances to score than the US but they couldn't actually get shots on goal. Shots were off just like their passing was. I was surprised when I saw that their pass accuracy was higher than the US, I guess their missed passes were just so poor it stood out more. 

Especially in that second half France were dominating, which could be worrying. But from what it looks like there isn't anyone else left in the tournament that is much of a threat so the US should win easily.

Germany, England, Dutch as underdogs.

Edited by FrFan

19 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

England

Netherlands 

Germany

Exactly, England is playing as well as anyone right now, and will be a stern test for the US ladies. That said, the English defense is a bit suspect, and Norway could not net any of a number of good chances. 

Getmany N.Y. is always dangerous, and likely the second deepest team in the world, but their best player is out for the tournament, and that is a big blow.

The Dutch (my heritage) are a solid side, and have 3 or 4 excellent players, but their defense is slow, and susceptible, IMO. I’m rooting for a Netherlands-USA final, I can't lose! My opinion: the England v US winner wins the final.

15 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Megan Rapinoe is a straight up assassin. That was some predatory anticipation for the second goal and she slid the ball in like it was a practice drill. 

Right place, right time makes a top goal scorer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Diacre choked hard.

Guess what ? She's been confirmed as head coach ! :rofl89:Only in France !

The FFF prick president does it again, Domenech says hi there ! Since 2013 we can't go further than quarterfinals (OG, Euro, WC)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Through midfield, where they had more space, France could operate much more easily. Same with Spain. But in the attacking third, the Americans athleticism became the difference maker. USA players were just one or two steps faster to the ball. French ladies couldn’t create the 12-inches of space they needed to get a shot off. 

Also, after the first goal USA played a very tactically mature game. They went full Italian and were just gonna manage this game out. France were in our half a lot but never really threatened. Smart move on a hot day. They weren’t going to expend energy when they had the lead. 

Teams with a good finisher (Italy) May give us trouble because they may not need many chances. Bronze from England who can hit bombs could give us trouble because they don’t need to penetrate as deep. 

Morgan has been nonexistent for me. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

US should not take this England team lightly. They looked pretty impressive vs Norway.

At this stage of a World Cup there are no teams can be taken lightly.  No matter what was thought previously, or how the match up looks on paper, they must be playing well to be in the semi finals.  

• Like 1

BIG upset Sweden over Germany. Makes my hope of a Dutch-American final that much more of a possibility. TBF, the Germans have not looked “Germany” impressive this WC, and were ripe for the taking. Sweden took advantage, and, after the equalizer, were the more potent side. 

Sweden is a tough defense to break down, but their keeper can make rash decisions, hopefully the Dutch can take advantage.

As for the US, it’ll be interesting to see the side Ellis puts out. Yeah, Rapinoe has scored 5 goals, and still is a set piece danger, but Press has been a far better performer all around. Much better pace and creativity, and will track back to help out defensively. Morgan, after getting her 5 against the Thai high schoolers, has been just okay. Not sure if she’s still feeling effects of the knocks she took against Chile and Spain.

Big thing for me is the midfield. France did dominate midfield possession, and the US did sit back after the early goal, but France was more athletic, and quick in the mid. Lavalle was the only one keeping pace. I don’t think Ertz is a midfielder, even a 6. She is a CB for me. One that can play out of the back as well. I thought Mewis played poorly yesterday, and was responsible for the France goal, as she was three yards deeper than any other US player, and played 3 or 4 French players onside. I’d prefer to see Horan get the nod, though neither her nor Mewis have the pace and creativity of Lavalle. Need to bring some more young midfielders up post WC. It’s why I think Heath would be a shout as a 10 sitting in behind Morgan. Her pace and technical ability is made for that, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

Guess what ? She's been confirmed as head coach ! :rofl89:Only in France !

The FFF prick president does it again, Domenech says hi there ! Since 2013 we can't go further than quarterfinals (OG, Euro, WC)

I was doing some research for USA France listening to podcasts and France had a long history on the women's side of collapsing when the going got tough late int he tournament. As you said they haven't gotten past the quarterfinals and yesterday was no different! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I was doing some research for USA France listening to podcasts and France had a long history on the women's side of collapsing when the going got tough late int he tournament. As you said they haven't gotten past the quarterfinals and yesterday was no different! 

They are plagged by the same "disease" that our men's team suffered for decades. Possession, domination and in the end a loss.

Possession 61% -  39%
Shots 20 - 10
Corners 7 - 3
Fouls 8 - 11
Passes 475 - 302
Passes efficiency 79% - 66%

When you keep on benching your best winger and don't bother to select the number one goal scorer of your championship you can't expect anything different. The saddest thing is that talent wise we could have won this competition ! Team USA was just smarter and efficient.

We're so stupid, we keep on getting burned and not learning, reminds me an NFL owner :rolleyes::)

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

It's funny and it may be because I don't know futbol, but throughout the match I thought France was the better team. The US just capitalized on its opportunities. Maybe that was their game plan to basically go into a turtle shell and play all D after they got a one point lead, but their passing and play just looked weaker to me.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

It's funny and it may be because I don't know futbol, but throughout the match I thought France was the better team. The US just capitalized on its opportunities. Maybe that was their game plan to basically go into a turtle shell and play all D after they got a one point lead, but their passing and play just looked weaker to me.

You’re right that their passing is not what you would expect from the best team in the world. They can get away with it (for now). It’s good enough. And athletically our athletes are better and we have great 1v1 players right now. 

I think there there are better options on the bench, but what’s important to remember (this will come across sexist but it’s not) is that the psychology of women’s teams are different. This isn’t me just saying this,  Anson Dorrance, used to coach both men’s and women’s teams at UNC (he’s won a lot of national championships) and also coaches the USWNT. Jill Ellis has flaws as a manager but one thing she does well IMO is manage the culture and the psychological state of the team. 

The importance of the psychological aspect seems like a soft reason, but then look at the French team. Talented individuals consistently prone to mental lapses. 

The US hasn’t faced adversity though. I’m curious how they’ll do if they fall behind two goals. 

Tactically, I love the idea of Lavelle playing a False 9. IMO, Heath, Rapinoe, Lavelle, and Morgan are too isolated from each other. There’s no opportunity to bounce off each other. But again, that’s by design I think: Pinoe and Heath getting into 1v1s on the flank. Seems to have worked so far. I think the strategy, again, is to play this like the Italians play a tournament. They’re gonna grind out the results with our superior athletes and players without giving the opponents much. Seems wise considering we switched off for 2 seconds and Spain scored on us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Curacao has a team? The population of Curacao is about the same as Stafford County.

I think all but a few of their players were born in the Netherlands.

That aside, can we please talk about firing Gregg Berhalter now and hire a real coach after this nepotism? Im really tired of his passiveness, among other things, and his constant dismissal of the crap play he has produced.

9 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Gyasi Zardes is pretty much worthless.

But he was with Gregg in Columbus so he will continue to start and play. Dont forget that he has 3 goals this tournament! But we will all pretend like he should get credit for the random ricochet of his slow face. His facehole has a better touch then his feet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1