Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need To Be Commended

btfoom

This thread celebrates one of the hardest, most decorated professions that a person can do.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/a-cop-who-had-to-tell-a-teen-his-parents-had-been-killed-sho?link_id=0&article_id=405594#.ykN11jDxb6

A Cop Who Had To Tell A Teen His Parents Had Been Killed Showed Up At His Graduation

Kazzie Portie’s parents were killed by a drunk driver less than a week before his graduation ceremony.

On May 24, an Orange, Texas, couple named Riley and Emily Portie were riding their motorcycle when they were struck by a drunk driver. The parents of five died at the scene.
Officer Eric Ellison of the Orange Police Department responded to the scene of the crash, and was tasked with breaking the news to the couple’s next of kin. When he arrived at the house, he found their youngest son, Kazzie, home alone.  <more at link>

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama-woman-helen-johnson-feels-blessed-by-william-stacey-cops-good-deed/

It was a simple act that gained the attention of thousands after being caught on video and posted online: An Alabama cop chose not to arrest a woman stealing eggs, and instead bought them for her.

Helen Johnson, the woman on the receiving end of the kind act, told CBS affiliate WIAT-TV in Birmingham the day after the story broke that she's struggling to find a job and pay her bills.

Sitting on a tattered sofa in the small apartment she shares with her niece, two daughters and two young grandchildren, she told WIAT, that she and her family "ate from day to day," but the moment she walked into the Dollar General store, her grandkids hadn't eaten in two days.

"I actually thought that if I didn't feed those babies, they were going to die," she said.

She said was 50 cents short the amount of money it took to buy a dozen eggs, so she thought if she just stole three, she could feed them.

"I had no idea anybody was watching me," Johnson continued. "I thought I was smooth as a criminal, and so I put three eggs in my jacket pocket."

After she was caught and Tarrant Police Officer William Stacey arrived, he told her to wait in the parking lot, and she thought she was going to jail for trying to feed her grandkids.

Instead, he returned with a dozen eggs for her.

"She tried to give me all the money she had," Stacy said. "It was about $1.25. I told her the best way to pay me back was to never do something like that again."

When the store agreed not to press charges, Stacy decided to pay for the eggs. <rest at link>

Richmond Police Officer’s Good Deed Goes Viral Click to share on Pinterest
24690681_bg1.jpg?w=650

RICHMOND (WRIC)—A Facebook photo of a Richmond Police officer assisting a citizen in a wheelchair over the weekend is generating positive buzz on social media.

On Tuesday morning, the Richmond Police Department posted a photo on its Facebook page that a citizen had tweeted on Saturday. The image shows First Precinct Officer Jordan Clark pushing a man in his wheelchair. <rest at link>

Plenty more out there.  Please feel free to add.

Edited by btfoom
  • Like 6

not much negative (or even controversial) you can say about that

Sure there is.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/05/29/police-dont-need-to-hug-black-people-they-just-need-to-stop-killing-them/

Police don’t need to hug black people. They just need to stop killing them.

White America is eating up feel-good stories about cops and kids. It's gross.

A strange new type of story has started popping up in social media feeds and Web headlines lately, in between news of (yet more) unarmed black people being brutalized or shot dead by police. It’s the flip side of the#blacklivesmatter movement: “feel-good” stories of white cops hugging and doing good deeds for black women and children.

And every day, white America — with its insatiable desire to believe that we are a post-racial society — is eating up these feel-good stories. What started as a local news story about a cop saving a cat from a tree goes viral nationwide, and it tells people that their heroic police really are the good guys who protect and serve, and who don’t arrest, beat or shoot black people in disproportionate numbers. It is reassuring because it redirects attention from protests, police violence and the disconcerting reminders that racism still plagues the nation. Don’t pay attention to that cop in Cleveland who jumped onto the hood of that car, pumped bullets into the windshield and killed two unarmed citizens. Don’t believe the activists; don’t listen to those demanding justice and highlighting racism. Just focus on the positive. Ignore all that noise demanding changes, because the police have it handled. (And never mind those New York cops who taunted protesters with “I CAN BREATHE” T-shirts, or those cops who wore “I AM DARREN WILSON” bracelets.)

and so on.

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 4

Sure there is.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/05/29/police-dont-need-to-hug-black-people-they-just-need-to-stop-killing-them/

Police don’t need to hug black people. They just need to stop killing them.

White America is eating up feel-good stories about cops and kids. It's gross.

Authored by Stacey Patton and David J. Leonard... who - I conclude from reading that -  are binary-thinking morons..

• Like 1

Authored by Stacey Patton and David J. Leonard... who - I conclude from reading that -  are binary-thinking morons..

For what it's worth:

Stacey Patton is a senior enterprise reporter for the Chronicle of Higher Education, an adjunct professor of American history at American University, and the author of "That Mean Old Yesterday."
David J. Leonard is Associate Professor and chair in the Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race Studies at Washington State University, Pullman.

But yea, COP PUSHES PERSON IN WHEELCHAIR, IS HERO really makes me think that cops aren't such bad people after all.
  • Like 1

Sure there is.  

Different story though.

Police who do wrong deserve criticism. Some deserve condemnation. There are others who deserve a parade. It's okay to understand that not one size fits all. Police officers do good all the time. That doesn't say that there can't be problems within the police culture or corruption too, but it is important to celebrate and reinforce the good... and when it comes to police officers there are a bunch of good ones.

• Like 1

Different story though.

Police who do wrong deserve criticism. Some deserve condemnation. There are others who deserve a parade. It's okay to understand that not one size fits all. Police officers do good all the time. That doesn't say that there can't be problems within the police culture or corruption too, but it is important to celebrate and reinforce the good... and when it comes to police officers there are a bunch of good ones.

Not really different stories at all, if you read the article (it literally cites directly to the story about the eggs).  The point of the article is not that all cops are bad or corrupt, obviously they aren't.  The point of the article is that just because a small number of feel-good stories about cops are coming out recently, it shouldn't distract the general public from the very true fact that police have recently, and for a very long time, abused their power, killed an awful lot of (mostly black) people for no good reason (and faced little or no consequences), and that serious reform is long overdue.  One cop pushing one person in a (already motorized) wheelchair doesn't change any of that.

Regular folks do stuff like this all the time.

They are not paid so serve and protect, they simply do them because they can and it is the right thing to do.

Kudos to the good cops. Unfortunately the bad that many cops show overshadow the good.

• Like 6

Awesome story, thanks for posting. Good cops don't get enough press, there's gotta be a ****-ton of LEOs who go above and beyond every day

For every dickhead who, like Keanu Reeves, jumps onto the hood of a car and unloads an entire magazine into two unarmed people, there are probably 50 good cops just doing their job.

• Like 5

Sure there is.  

Not the place for that BS propaganda. The OP was clear, this is for respecting the men and women that are crazy enough to remain in the law enforcement profession.

Cop saves 2 lives in 1 shift.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4270407415001/super-cop-saves-two-lives-during-one-shift/?#sp=show-clips

Edited by Redskins3D
  • Like 3

One cop pushing one person in a (already motorized) wheelchair doesn't change any of that.

Nope. And whatever number of cops that have killed citizens odd any color unjustifiably don't change the fact that there are way more good cops than bad cops. Of course this is pretty much relegated to social media because it's not racy enough to air on the news. [No pun intended]

There are threads for your link. This ain't one of them. Love ya pb

Edited by Major Harris
  • Like 3

Nope. And whatever number of cops that have killed citizens odd any color unjustifiably don't change the fact that there are way more good cops than bad cops. Of course this is pretty much relegated to social media because it's not racy enough to air on the news. [No pun intended]

There are threads for your link. This ain't one of them. Love ya pb

... and it also doesn't change the fact that we (all of us) desperately need the service that police provide to us, and that the officers that join the force because they are motivated by a real desire to do good are in a better position than most of to really do good.  

Now when cops are feeling more beleaguered and the regular citizens that they serve and protect are feeling more suspicious is a great time to remind both sides what it looks like when it is done right.  Good cops an indispensable and necessary condition for a healthy society.  We need them.  We ALL need them.  

If even the good cops get pissed on even when they are going above and beyond the call to be really good cops... what is the motivation for anybody to be a good cop?  we know the self-selection bias and self motivated reasons that bad people might want to be cops (and inevitably bad cops)--- do we really want to chase away everybody that has good motivations????

• Like 4

i think of the situation being roughly analogous to the doctors and lawyers...  (hear me me out, as an analogy, not a perfect match)

some high percentage of doctors and lawyers enter the fields basically ONLY because they pay really well.  That is going to self select some real ****s, assholes and jerks.   But there are also GREAT reasons to enter those professions, and socially motivated doctors and lawyers do great and wonderful things every day.  but if everyone that ever meets one of these tireless crusaders for good --- basically just lumps them in with the dickhead self-absorbed stereotypical prick that you saw berating the cashier yesterday --- then the only reason left to be a doctor or a lawyer <<<eventually>>> will be a motivation to be ""that guy""  

Even though more doctors and lawyers are currently ""that guy"" than the general population --- i don't want to work to ensure that ALL doctors and lawyers are ""that guy"" in the future.

cops are even more important.  I REALLY don't want to set up an environment where the only people that want to be cops are people that either like to lord power over other people (the little napoleon bully cops) or are looking for a more convenient way to racketeer (the pilfering cops).   Set up systems and controls to protect ourslelves from the bullies and thieves... but also celebrate the ones that serve us well.  

Sure there is.  

Dude,

There are literally dozens of threads where you could post almost any negative article you want.  No problem.

Can I just have ONE thread where the posts are positive?  I don't care if they don't tell the whole story, please go somewhere else to criticize.

Thank you.

Back on track:

http://kdvr.com/2015/03/24/generosity-of-2-denver-officers-means-family-didnt-have-to-spend-night-on-the-streets/

DENVER — Two Denver police officers took action to help a family that was in desperate need while spending their last night in Denver.

According to the Denver police Facebook page,District 6 officers Troy Smith and Ryan Vogel went to the 400 block of West Colfax to perform a welfare check late Friday night, March 13. The Facebook story has gained lots of attention on social media.

They met a man there who was with his wife and 6-year-old daughter.

He told the officers he was going through a hard time and couldn’t make it in Denver. He let the Smith and Vogel know that the next day, he planned to return to a neighboring city, but he did not have anywhere for his family to stay for the night. Since they weren’t from Denver, they didn’t qualify for a hotel voucher.

The Facebook post continues with the story about how the two officers did not want the little girl to be left on the streets, so they took the family to a hotel to see if they could get a room.

Hotel staff said they couldn’t provide a room for free, so the officers paid for the room with their own money.

“The generosity of these officers ensured the family had a safe, warm place to stay their last night in our city,” as the Facebook post wrapped up this story.

Edited by btfoom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cops shot a man the other day. WARNING, VIDEOS ARE SOMEWHAT GRAPHIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V9AOsWQzpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiqfM2GR4E

Why am I commending this? Because this is how it's "supposed" to go down. They were professional and courteous with the man, right until the point where he pulled what appeared to be a pistol. Cops responded appropriately and accurately. This is something that people should see to understand how quickly things can go from okay to oh crap I'm gonna die. Also, good teaching aid for future officers

Edited by Slateman
  • Like 2