Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need To Be Commended

btfoom

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/17/man-24-surprises-ohio-cop-who-saved-him-from-drowning-nearly-20-years-ago.html

A 24-year-old man burst into tears Friday when he met for the first time the Ohio police officer who saved him from drowning nearly 20 years ago.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that Christopher Jones surprised Columbus officer James Poole when he tapped him on the shoulder and asked if he remembered him.

“About 1997, you pulled a 5-year-old out of a swimming pool, saved his life,” Jones said. <rest, including great video, at link>

• Like 2

Here's another good one to show just how good many police officers are in their jobs:

http://fox8.com/2016/09/27/pulled-over-for-speeding-grieving-man-stunned-when-officer-drives-him-100-miles-to-be-with-family/

Pulled over for speeding, grieving man stunned when officer drives him 100 miles to be with family

TROY, Ohio — After finding out his teenage sister had been killed in a car accident over the weekend, Mark Ross said he wanted to be with his mother as soon as he could.

Without a vehicle, Ross said that he convinced someone he knew to drive, and jumped in the man's car just after 3 a.m. Sunday in Indiana.  Ross wrote in a Facebook post that they were speeding through Ohio, bound for Detroit, when the lights flashed behind them.

"I knew I was going to jail due to a petty warrant," Ross wrote.

Ross was in the passenger seat of the car when Trooper J. Davis pulled them over, and the driver had a suspended license and an outstanding warrant as well, according to Inside Edition.

Trooper Davis ended up taking the driver into custody and having the car towed, which left Ross stranded in Ohio.

Ross explained what happened next when Ohio State Highway Patrol Sergeant David Robison arrived:

"I broke down crying and he saw the sincerity in my cry. He REACHES OVER AND BEGAN PRAYING OVER ME AND MY FAMILY. He offered to bring me 100 miles further to Detroit because they towed the vehicle. Everybody knows how much I dislike Cops but I am truly Greatful (sic) for this Guy. He gave me hope"

True to his word, Robison drove Ross more than 100 miles to a Detroit coffee shop where he could meet his cousin.

"It was just so overwhelming," Ross told Inside Edition. "They were trying to help us."

Ross and his family said they are so grateful for Robison's generosity, and that the sergeant has even promised to attend the funeral.

• Like 3

More good work by the police:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/09/30/teen-who-walked-two-hours-to-work-surprised-by-cop-who-buys-him-bike/?tid=a_inl

This teenager was walking for hours to and from work — until a police stop changed his life

As its name might suggest, Industrial Way is not known for being pedestrian-friendly.

The road in the Northern California city of Benicia is lined with trucking companies, warehouses and metal-finishing factories. As it curves north, before it turns into Channel Road, the street cuts under busy Interstate 680.

So when Cpl. Kirk Keffer of the Benicia Police Department spotted a lone, lanky teenager walking on Industrial Way during the graveyard shift a few Saturdays ago, he was curious. It was after 11 p.m. and dark outside, and the boy was just nearing the highway overpass.

“Usually in the industrial area, there’s no foot traffic, so it was kind of weird to see someone walking around on foot,” Keffer told The Washington Post.

He stopped his patrol car, got out and called out to the pedestrian.

Was he okay? What was he doing out there by himself?

The teenager, 18-year-old Jourdan Duncan, was equally startled at first.

“I was absolutely nervous,” he said. “I thought, okay, um, did I do anything wrong? Is he going to put me in cuffs? I didn’t do anything bad.”

Duncan told Keffer he was walking back to his parents’ home in Vallejo. He had just gotten off from his job at Pro-Form Laboratories, where the teen worked on the packaging line from 3 p.m. until around midnight.

“Vallejo? That’s like seven miles away,” Keffer said he remembered saying to Duncan.

Soon, he had cleared out the passenger seat in his patrol car and offered Duncan a ride home.

On the drive, Keffer asked the teen more questions. Why Benicia? Why not drive to work?

He was agog that anybody would walk more than two hours each way, every day.

Duncan explained that he had just graduated from Jesse Bethel High School the year before. He had gotten a job at Pro-Form Laboratories in May, and enjoyed being around his co-workers. He was saving money for college, he said — but really wanted to be an officer with the California Highway Patrol, to follow in the footsteps of some relatives who were in law enforcement.

When the timing belt and an engine valve on his 2001 Volvo broke in July, Duncan got a few rides from friends and co-workers, but soon decided he would try to walk to avoid burdening others.

“I didn’t want to always call somebody and be like, ‘Hey, can you pick me up?’ ” he said. “That would have took a lot of people’s time.”

Jourdan Duncan and Benicia Police Cpl. Kirk Keffer. (Benicia Police Department)

Duncan never told his parents he started walking. (“They thought I was getting rides every day,” he admits.) The first time he plotted out a walkable route on Google Maps, it spit out an estimated commute time of 2 hours and 15 minutes.

“This is going to be a long walk,” Duncan thought. On his first day going to work by foot, he didn’t know what to expect. “The whole way there I just had my earphones in, kept quiet and I just power-walked the whole way.”

That was in July. Gradually, the foot commute grew easier for him.

“The walk now, it’s not a problem for me,” he said.

By the time Keffer pulled up to Duncan’s parents’ house that night — all of 15 minutes later, by car — the police officer was impressed. Most people won’t even walk down to the store, he joked.

“I was just like, wow, Jourdan, that’s really impressive, your dedication and your hard work,” Keffer said. “At age 18, that’s a good work ethic to have, and I said, you know, I admire that. Just keep doing what you’re doing.”

They parted ways and Keffer returned to the police department in Benicia. Still, he couldn’t get Duncan’s commute out of his head. He mentioned his interaction to his shift supervisor, who, like Keffer, happened to be a board member of the Benicia Police Officers’ Association.

“So I hit him up and say, ‘I just had this contact with this young man,’ ” Keffer said. ” ‘He’s walking five hours a day, and I think it should be rewarded. What if we help him out?’ ”

They emailed the rest of the board to seek approval to buy a bicycle. It was, he said, one of the fastest votes they’ve ever taken: Within an hour, enough board members wrote back in agreement. And so, the following day, Keffer visited Wheels in Motion, a local bike shop.

[Hailed a hero, the homeless man who found New Jersey bombs gets apartment, job prospects]

He was looking for a good mountain bike, Keffer explained to the owner. Something with a reliable gearing system that could handle Benicia’s steep hills. The longtime shop owner, Greg Andrade, helped him pick out a $500 Giant-brand bicycle — and loved the teen’s story so much that he also donated a lighting system, brake light and helmet.

The only matter left was how to surprise Duncan. <rest at link>

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/10/21/teens-brazen-attack-on-officers-caught-on-bodycam-could-have-been-the-next-ferguson-police-chief-says/

Maybe Im being dramatic but it seems like a lot more people feel emboldened to confront and even get violent with police nowadays.

Thankfully no one was killed. In this situation, I dont think lethal force should have been considered, it should be the last resort. If a suspect doesnt have a gun or knife or lead pipe, I hope an officer takes some lumps but doesnt pull the trigger. 

I think things are only going to get worse. Even when people are wrong, and these people are clearly wrong, they now think they are justified in what ever they do. 

Good job officers for keeping a cool head, I hope the people involved get due.. 

Ho Hum, just another police officer saving a life:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/21/dashcam-video-shows-texas-officer-helping-boy-who-had-seizure.html

A  Texas police was honored Tuesday for going out of his way to help save a 3-year-old boy’s life.

Granbury police say Officer Chase Miller was scanning his radio’s EMS channel on Oct. 12 when he heard a dispatcher call for paramedics to respond to a call about a toddler who had stopped breathing.

Police said Miller realized he was near the location and immediately responded.

Video from Miller’s dashcam shows him performing CPR on the boy until he resumed breathing. The boy’s parents told the officer he had suffered a fever-induced seizure. He was later taken to the hospital. <rest at link>

Good job, Officer.

• 1 month later...

As usual, police this time of year are out helping those in need:

http://wtop.com/christmas-news/2016/12/santa-cops-spreading-christmas-cheer-needy-children/slide/1/

PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, Va.— It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas for 50 local children, who where treated to a holiday shopping spree by police on Saturday.

The kids spent the morning on a $175 shopping spree with the men and women in blue from Prince William County.

Even Santa Claus — who moonlights as a jail house officer at the county’s Adult Detention Center — was on hand to usher in cheer at the Wal-Mart near Potomac Mills Mall. Santa made his arrival by helicopter. Then Mrs. Claus drove him to the front door in a Virginia State Police vehicle.

Mark Harman, with the Fraternal Order of Police (Battlefield Lodge #43 FOP), said the officers were all volunteers. They represented the county police, county Adult Detention Center, Sheriff’s Office and George Mason University.

Harman said the children were chosen by the county school board and were between 5 and 10 years old.  He said they generally pick out more “needs” than “wants.”

“You’ll actually see them picking out something for their parents or a sibling, and it’s really touching,” says Harman.

Angel, 10, crinkled his nose when he was asked what he wanted during the shopping spree and then said “something for my dad because he never gets gifts on Christmas.”

Correll, 7, said he had things for his family on his shopping list but said there also were a few things for himself — like Nerf guns, basketballs and softballs.

“This is awesome, ” the boy said. “I’ve never been with police before.”

He was paired up with Sgt. Corey Gray, who was participating in the event for the first time.

“I think that’s the best part of being with them,” he said. “They probably think that we’re doing something for them but really they’re doing something for us.”

The officers definitely outnumbered the children on Saturday. Harman said it’s his favorite event of the year.  He could not hide his smiles.

The kids get to see the police in a different light and the officers get to mingle with the children. “Something that’s lighthearted, instead of what they (police officers) are normally doing, which again, nobody calls the cops because they’re having a good day,” Harman said.

After working up an appetite from shopping, the kids were taken to breakfast in a police convoy with lights flashing and sirens blaring.

They don't ask for much, just to be appreciated.  They are the normal police officers, people who have decided to dedicate their lives to helping others.  Love the Police.  Keep it up, boys.

and another great article showing the caring feelings of Law Enforcement:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article119438903.html

The dog was really cold, and the deputy’s car was so warm. And the door was open ...

A lost dog jumped into a Tuolumne County Sheriff’s deputy’s patrol car early Wednesday morning to escape the freezing cold, the sheriff’s department said in a post on its Facebook page. Tuolumne County Sheriff’s Department Modesto...

The Tuolumne County, Calif., Sheriff’s Department may have found another potential candidate for its K-9 unit.

A lost dog jumped into a deputy’s patrol car early Wednesday morning to escape the freezing cold, the sheriff’s department said in a post on its Facebook page.

At around 1 a.m., Deputy Jon Hammell spotted a suspicious vehicle in the Tuolumne Market parking lot in Tuolumne City.

Hammell left his driver’s door open and walked up to the vehicle so he could speak with the occupants. When he returned to his patrol car, he found a black labrador sitting in his passenger seat.

The dog, named Ruger, had information listed on his collar. The dog fell asleep in the warm patrol car as his owners were located, the post said.

Deputy Hammell gave Ruger a ride home. The dog’s owners had been looking for him all evening, the post said.

Temperatures at 1 a.m. Wednesday in Tuolumne County were in the 20s.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article119438903.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 1

Not all police are humans.

God speed, K-9 Bob. (warning - do NOT watch this video in front of others, it sprays lots of dust in your eyes)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/media/92074877-132.html

Chicago police dog says her final farewell

Chicago police officer K-9 Bob, a 7-year-old female Labrador, said her final goodbyes to her handler, CPD officer Michael Walters, and other officers outside her home and the Niles Animal Hospital on Dec. 7, 2016. K-9 Bob was Officer Walters' first dog and worked in the explosion detection K-9 unit. "She was diagnosed over a year ago with a brain tumor and they didn't give her very long to live but she lasted over a year so that's pretty good. It's time. She's not there anymore and it has taken its toll. It's time for her to pass over that rainbow bridge and move on," said Officer Walters. "It's tough, it's very tough to say goodbye to this wonderful dog, but I just know it's time in my heart and I think she does too."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local-4-news-today/video-police-officer-helps-college-student-tie-a-necktie

I tried to load the video, because it's absolutely awesome.

"While I'm doing this, go ahead and get your license and proof of insurance out..."

I think he probably would have done the same for a student of a different race, color or creed.  Seems like the cop you like having around your neighborhood, and that's rare.

Edited by skinsmarydu
syntax error
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local-4-news-today/video-police-officer-helps-college-student-tie-a-necktie

I tried to load the video, because it's absolutely awesome.

"While I'm doing this, go ahead and get your license and proof of insurance out..."

I think he probably would have done the same for a student of a different race, color or creed.  Seems like the cop you like having around your neighborhood, and that's rare.

That was awesome.

Thanks for posting.

Great job by this Officer and his family/friends:

http://www.littlethings.com/acerra-meets-cameron/?utm_source=flys&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=police

13-Year-Old Says He Wants To Run Away From Home, Then Tells A Cop To Look Inside His Empty Room

BARBARA DIAMOND

When a police officer in South Carolina responded to a 13-year-old boy’s phone call, he neverexpected what would happen next.

13-year-old Cameron Simmons made a distressed call to the Sumter Police Department. Officer Gaetano Acerra was the man who paid the boy a visit at his home. In a one-on-one meeting with Cameron, the officer learned the distraught child wanted to run away from home. He said his mother was yelling at him for playing his older brother’s video games. But Officer Acerra soon learned the issue was much deeper than that.

Cameron led the officer inside his house, and then into his bedroom. His room was completely empty. His clothes were thrown in a trash bag. He didn’t even have a bed.

The officer learned Cameron’s mother fell on hard times after having to make an unexpected move from Texas to South Carolina to care for a sick relative.

That’s when Officer Acerra did the unthinkable. Touched beyond belief, he totally went beyond the call of duty.

Cameron, his brother and his mom had no idea that Officer Acerra was busy organizing a major surprise. He spent weeks gathering items for the family — and putting together a complete bedroom for his new friend Cameron.

With the help of his brother, Acerra loaded up and dropped off a brand new desk, chair, television, bed and Wii game system for Cameron. He also gave Cameron’s brother a full bedroom and an air hockey table for them to play together.

Cameron was shocked to tears. His grateful mother was in complete disbelief. And after the story went viral, people from all over the world began making contributions to the family.

Watch the video below to see how this unbelievable chain of kindness unfolded, and please SHARE this story of friendship with your friends on Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/anne-arundel-police-decorate-bedroom-for-girl/8603182?src=app

Anne Arundel police decorate bedroom for girl

Officers, girl met after death of grandmother

An 8-year-old girl and her grandfather recently had the chance to thank a group of Anne Arundel County police officers.

The tank you was not for their police work, but instead their generosity.

The officers recently completed work on redecorating Harmonie McKiver’s bedroom. The Edgewater girl could not contain her excitement when she saw the room for the first time.

“I really love owls, so I like my covers,” Harmonie said. “I like this blanket for owls.”

Harmonie, who lives with her grandparents, met the group of officers under tragic circumstances. Anne Arundel County police Sgt. Dianne Venit met Harmonie before Christmas when the family suffered an unexpected loss.

“I found my wife dead in the bathroom and my granddaughter was with me,” said George Meiklejohn, Harmonie’s grandfather. “They were trying to revive my wife. They took my granddaughter upstairs. During that time they got to know Harmonie.”

Venit said they soon got the idea to paint and decorate Harmonie’s room.

"She brought me into this bedroom, which was her uncle’s bedroom, which had holes in the wall. It wasn't decorated and she said, ‘My pop-pop is going to make it nice for me so I can live here,'” Venit said.

Venit, a mother herself, decided to do something to help the girl.

"Another officer and I got out heads together,” Venit said. “He talked to a family from Davidsonville, who donated a substantial amount of money.”

The officers took the donated money and got to work on the bedroom. Harmonie said she got more than a room; she made new friends.

“I really do think they're the nicest officers in the whole wide world,” Harmonie said.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
19 hours ago, spjunkies said:

These officers handled this entitled rat like champions.

[Port Authority Commisioner video]

Apparently she quit her job and apologized (although fairly insincerely).

Ex-Port Authority Commissioner Apologizes for Expletive-Laden Rant Against Cops, Denies Wrongdoing

A Port Authority of New York and New Jersey commissioner caught on camera delivering an expletive-laced tirade to police officers during a traffic stop has apologized and denies she was seeking special treatment.

Caren Turner issued the statement Wednesday, a day after the Tenafly Police Department released the dash-cam video showing her attempting to pull rank on the officers who pulled over a car in which her daughter was a passenger for a partially obscured license plate and tinted windows March 31.

The video also shows the 60-year-old Democratic lobbyist becoming increasingly agitated with the responding officers and shouting an expletive at them.

In her statement, Turner apologizes for letting her emotions get the best of her and regrets her tone and language directed at the police officers. She resigned her post last week, a move a Port Authority spokesman called "appropriate given her outrageous conduct" in a statement from the agency. 

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

3 more teens charged with 1st degree murder of PFC Amy Caprio by intentionally running her down with a jeep. :(

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/3-More-Teen-Suspects-Charged-in-Death-of-Baltimore-County-Officer-Amy-Caprio-483450311.html

read this story and was so crushed.

Just horrible. I feel for her and her family.

• Like 4