Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need To Be Commended

btfoom

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pooped-puppy-tired-cop-fall-010600975.html

It was a case of letting a sleeping dog lie with the long arm of the law.

A Florida policeman found an adorable puppy left on its own during his patrol of a Lakeland neighborhood.

Officer Kareem Garibaldi tried in vain for three days to find the pit-bull-boxer mix’s owner, even though he worked 12-hour shifts and often went home exhausted.

Read: Mother Pulls Crying Puppy to Safety From Flooded Building

On the third day, the dedicated peace officer took the pup to the Florida SPCA to have it checked out.  As they sat in the waiting room, both dozed off.

“I walked in, and that’s when I saw him and the puppy,” said the shelter’s safety net manager, Connie Johnson, according to The Dodo website.

“He was exhausted, the puppy was exhausted, and they were sleeping. It was one of those moments that just grab your heart.  He was so determined to get her help,” Johnson said.

“He actually woke up at one point just to see if she [was] OK, and then he went back to sleep,” she added.

Garibaldi waited three hours while the dog was examined. She had a few mites, but was otherwise healthy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First, a cool story about police officers rescuing a puppy:

https://www.thedodo.com/police-human-chain-save-dog-1862748933.html

Police Form Human Chain To Save Puppy Trapped In Canal

Sometimes, one kind, caring heart just isn't enough to rescue an animal in distress. Fortunately, in this case, there were plenty of them to go around.

On Wednesday, officers form Peru's National Police joined together to save a puppy who was on the verge of drowning. The desperate animal had fallen into an irrigation canal near the city of Trujillo, but because the concrete banks were so steep, she wasn't able to get out on her own. 

The quick-thinking officers, however, were able to devise a way of getting her to safety — forming a human chain to get nearer to the water. Still, it took several attempts as the young dog floated past beyond reach, but she was ultimately rescued when one officer leapt in after her.

Then, in wake of the Orlando Shooting:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/orlando-shooting-victim-angel-colons-emotional-reunion-police/story?id=39917455

Orlando shooting victim Angel Colon was reunited in a local hospital today with the police officer who saved his life.

Angel Colon, who was shot three times and critically injured at the Pulse nightclub early Sunday, was able to survive after Eatonville Police Officer Omar Delgado pulled him out of the club, according to hospital officials. Video shows Delgado visiting Colon today at the Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Colon and Delgado, who were seeing each other for the first time since the shooting, smiled at each other as soon as Delgado walked into the hospital room.

"My name is Officer Omar Delgado. I'm one of the ones that helped you get out of harm's way," Delgado says in the video. "I need a big hug."

• 2 weeks later...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/06/29/police-coach-baseball-in-englewood-to-bridge-the-gap-with-community/

CHICAGO (CBS) — Kids playing baseball on a sunny afternoon isn’t news, but what’s happening in Englewood this summer certainly is.

Wednesday was opening day for the Englewood Police/Youth Summer Baseball League. Chicago police are the coaches, and the kids are just enjoying the summer making new friends with the officers.

“It bridges the gap between the community and the police officers. It shows police officers in a different light, and I think it’s a great opportunity for people to see the Chicago Police Department helping out, actually being involved in the community,” said Officer Toriano Clinton, a coach with EPYBLeague.

Clinton was on the field at Hamilton Park hours ahead of the first pitch, because the kids couldn’t wait.

“One of my coaches was an ex-Chicago police officer,” he said.

Like his former college baseball coach, Clinton picked baseball andlaw enforcementicon1.png. He said 15 years in is the perfect time to be an example for kids on his Englewood beat.<rest at link>

http://wgntv.com/2016/06/21/police-officer-hurt-dog-rescued-in-northwest-side-fire/

CHICAGO -- Several families have been displaced from their homes but they are alive and well thanks to a Chicago police officer.

Officer Jennifer Jacobucci was on her way back to O’Hare airport from police headquarters around noon today.

While driving on the Kennedy she heard a news report that a house was on fire only blocks away from where she was in the city’s Logan Square neighborhood.

She got to the scene even before firefighters had arrived.

The fire started a little before noon on the back porch of a building at 2720 N. Campbell Ave. It quickly spread to a neighboring building.

Without hesitation Officer Jacobucci went in announcing who she was. She soon learned there were people and pets inside oblivious that the building was burning.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great story:

http://www.barnesville.com/archives/9407-Fred-saga-A-small-town-with-a-big-heart.html

Officers responded to a call on July 9 concerning a pitched tent near a Gordon State College parking area not knowing this call would once again be one to bring Barnesville’s community together and deem the city as one of compassion.

Gordon police officer Dicky Carreker and Barnesville police officer Maria Gebelein approached the camp set up near the Gordon parking area off of Holmes street Saturday evening cautiously asking the tent’s occupant to come out with his hands visible. When the occupant emerged he presented his Gordon I.D. card and after speaking with the young man, the officers became aware of his humility and determined him to be a driven student who had nothing and who was dedicated to his education and to finding a job.

Homeless, 19-year-old Fredrick Barley rode six hours on a 20” bicycle from Conyers to Gordon’s campus with nothing but a duffle bag, a tent, a box of cereal and two gallons of water. Barley indicated that he wanted to be sure he made it to town in time for school with enough time to find a job.

He had spent three days camping in his tent before the officers found him. When he was not at his camp, Barley was riding around town on his bike searching for a job and filling out applications.

“After meeting Fred, I could tell he was a good kid,” Carreker stated. “He was a young kid who had been dealt a bad hand and was trying to make the best out of it. All he wanted was a job.”

Inspired by Barley’s determination, officers Carreker and Geblein gave him the money they had in their wallets and took him to the Sun Inn motel where they each paid for a night’s stay.

“Fred told us this would be his second semester at Gordon as a Biology major and we could tell he was serious about his education,” Geblein indicated. “We helped him because we felt it was the right thing to do.”
Soon after Carreker posted the story on Facebook about Barley and his situation, members of Barnesville’s community banded together eager to help and have since bought him gift cards, food and clothing. He even received a new men’s mountain bike and has a couple community members working together to get him a car. 

“I was not expecting any of this support and am in awe of how this community has come together to help me,” Barley stated. “I was just trying to go to school, find a job and make it on my own. Now it seems as though I am part of a new community and have a new family.”

Barley has gotten an influx of support from the community and even has a new job at DB’s Pizzeria where Debbie Adamson recognized his genuine heart and hired him before she even knew his name.
Casey Blaney and Amber Shoemake are among those who have been working hard to help get Barley settled. Blaney has put together a Facebook group called ‘Success For Fred’ where anyone who is interested in helping can find out what donations are needed for Fred’s success, and Shomake has put together an Amazon.com wish list in his name. 

“It’s just beautiful how our community has come together to help someone in need,” Carreker concluded. “Barnesville is the epitome of a small town with a big heart.” 
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow these items never seem to make it on the large stage:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/07/29/1-year-after-saving-her-life-texas-police-officer-has-tea-party-with-toddler-who-choked-on-penny.html

A Dallas police officer whose quick thinking made headlines last summer recently had tea with the little girl whom he saved from choking on a coin. The party commemorated the one-year anniversary of the life-saving maneuver and the pair’s meeting, Fox4News.com reported.

In July 2015, 22-month-old Bexley Norvell accidentally swallowed a penny. Her mother, Tammy Norvell, called 911 when she saw her daughter’s lips turning blue. Rowlett police officer Patrick Ray had logged off his patrol car’s computer when a call went out to tend to an unresponsive toddler nearby. Ray clocked back in and raced to the scene, the news station reported.

“It was the scariest thing to hand her over to somebody I didn’t know, but I put all my faith and all my trust in him that he knew what to do,” Norvell told Fox4News.com.  <more at link>

I dont know where to put this and I dont want to start a new thread. I think the police who responded to her initial traffic stop and today did a good job of keeping their composure under the circumstances. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-co-police-barricade-20160801-story.html

https://twitter.com/hashtag/korryngaines

http://breaking911.com/breaking-officials-baltimore-release-new-info-korryngaines-shooting/

^^^ if you scroll through the twitter link or search on youtube you can see a video of the 23 year old woman who filmed herself during a traffic stop a few months ago bc instead of a license plate she had this:

only a rectangular piece of cardboard with the following writing on it: “Any government official who compromises this pursuit to happiness and right to travel, will be held criminally responsible and fined, as this is a natural right to freedom.”

----------------------

my first initial impression after watching her videos - this is a mental health incident, not a race incident. The boyfriend who had a warrant and a long violent criminal history was arrested unharmed.  

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

How was it a mental health issue?

And they shot her with her kid in her arm. You can say they were afraid, but hten how can you explain an incident like this:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/orleans/two-men-arrested-for-shots-fired-at-gretna-pd-while-high-on-ecstasy/283433526

where they fired at police but were apprehended.

If anything, she sounds like those Bundy family people who didnt believe they were sovereign. I dont see many conservatives sticking up for her like they were with the Bundys.

And they shot her with her kid in her arm. You can say they were afraid, but hten how can you explain an incident like this:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/orleans/two-men-arrested-for-shots-fired-at-gretna-pd-while-high-on-ecstasy/283433526

If anything, she sounds like those Bundy family people who didnt believe they were sovereign. I dont see many conservatives sticking up for her like they were with the Bundys.

Its kind of a losing battle when you try to set up equivalencies.... 

it is true that it would not be surprising if a person that shoots guns near police to try to scare them ends up dead... does that mean we should be disappointed that they are not?  

They did not shot her with her son in her arms. When the police initially entered to effectuate the arrest warrant, she was sitting on the floor with her son in her arms and a shotgun. Swat was then called. A police negotiator, mental health expert and her father all tried to get her to put down the gun. Her son was walking around the apartment and was not in her arms when shots were fired. We do not know if her son was shot by a police bullet, her mom's shot gun or if he was hit by debris. The police did not delete her account, they got facebook to freeze it bc she was communicating with others who were encouraging her to not give in.

When talking about a particular incident, I like to stay focused on the actual incident. This has nothing to do with the bundys or other times when a white person in a similar situation is not killed. There are many articles out there of instances in which white people are killed or black people arent killed in similar stand offs who do not surrender their weapon. 

This is a mental health tragedy imo. She also had lead poisoning as a child and had neurological issues. She was driving around with no license plate, license, insurance or registration. She had a piece of cardboard saying she would fine any gov't official who tried to pull her over. Her video from her traffic stop back in May shows an unstable person. She has a post 2 weeks prior to her death in which she is loading her shotgun and saying she is ready to dance with the police if they come.  

I dont know if Maryland has a CERT team like California and other states but at some point every city should have them. 

I dont know what happened at the final moment when police fired first, then she fired back. A read something that occasionally she would have her gun on her son but was she aiming it at him or just during a 6 hour stand off it was inadvertently pointed at him from time to time. 

Officers are trained to shoot to kill but was their first shot an attempted disarming non-lethal shot? then when she opens fire multiple times, lethal force had to be used at that point. 

Having spent a lot of time in baltimore and meeting lots of people, lead poisoning is a very real issue for kids in the city. A lot more common than it should be. 

A ceremony/rally will be held on Friday at 7 pm at Baltimore City College. Near almeada/loch raven.  

Its kind of a losing battle when you try to set up equivalencies.... 

it is true that it would not be surprising if a person that shoots guns near police to try to scare them ends up dead... does that mean we should be disappointed that they are not?  

the point is that they should be able to apprehend people without killing them, even with guns. Screaming with a gun does not mean they should be shot dead.

They did not shot her with her son in her arms. When the police initially entered to effectuate the arrest warrant, she was sitting on the floor with her son in her arms and a shotgun. Swat was then called. A police negotiator, mental health expert and her father all tried to get her to put down the gun. Her son was walking around the apartment and was not in her arms when shots were fired. We do not know if her son was shot by a police bullet, her mom's shot gun or if he was hit by debris. The police did not delete her account, they got facebook to freeze it bc she was communicating with others who were encouraging her to not give in.

When talking about a particular incident, I like to stay focused on the actual incident. This has nothing to do with the bundys or other times when a white person in a similar situation is not killed. There are many articles out there of instances in which white people are killed or black people arent killed in similar stand offs who do not surrender their weapon. 

This is a mental health tragedy imo. She also had lead poisoning as a child and had neurological issues. She was driving around with no license plate, license, insurance or registration. She had a piece of cardboard saying she would fine any gov't official who tried to pull her over. Her video from her traffic stop back in May shows an unstable person. She has a post 2 weeks prior to her death in which she is loading her shotgun and saying she is ready to dance with the police if they come.  

I dont know if Maryland has a CERT team like California and other states but at some point every city should have them. 

I dont know what happened at the final moment when police fired first, then she fired back. A read something that occasionally she would have her gun on her son but was she aiming it at him or just during a 6 hour stand off it was inadvertently pointed at him from time to time. 

Officers are trained to shoot to kill but was their first shot an attempted disarming non-lethal shot? then when she opens fire multiple times, lethal force had to be used at that point. 

Having spent a lot of time in baltimore and meeting lots of people, lead poisoning is a very real issue for kids in the city. A lot more common than it should be. 

A ceremony/rally will be held on Friday at 7 pm at Baltimore City College. Near almeada/loch raven.  

why was hte SWAT team called? That escalated the incident.

I am not absolving her at all, but this story does not belong in the "police should be commended" section.

the point is that they should be able to apprehend people without killing them, even with guns. Screaming with a gun does not mean they should be shot dead.

why was hte SWAT team called? That escalated the incident.

I am not absolving her at all, but this story does not belong in the "police should be commended" section.

Her waiting for the officers with a shot gun escalated the situation. When police are presented with an armed barricaded individual = SWAT. I put it in the "commend" thread bc I have studied police responses to mental heath crisis (CERT in San Diego) and in this situation, the Baltimore County Police Dept should be commended for not immediately shooting her the second they saw a loaded shotgun pointed at them. I also commend the use of a mental health expert and her father in trying to talk her down and de-escalate. I did a study on two incidents of lethal force used in a mental health crisis. One, when a mom called the police bc her son with bi-polar was acting out. Police arrived and found him in his closet. They shot and killed him. Second, a homeless man  with mental issues was shot and killed bc he was waiving a stick at officers. A stick.

Police officers are not trained to recognize and deal with mentally ill citizens. In this Gaines case, I commend the police for not shooting first but stepping back and calling the appropriate response team. 

• Like 2

Police aren't trained to deal with the mentally ill or special needs at all. Often times in the case of the latter, they don't even recognize that the person has a disability.

But in this case I can't see fault with the officers. They called in a negotiatior, they got her father there, they tried to end it peacefully. Now I'll admit I haven't dug deep into this case. But to me, it seems to be another one of those unfortunate cases where a mentally ill person has access to a gun. I'm all for laws preventing mentally ill people getting access to guns.

So we just can't keep these 2 threads separate, huh?

Thanks major, I agree 100%.

To get back on track:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/14/charlotte-police-officer-helps-out-high-school-student-with-autism.html

A Charlotte police officer’s interaction with an autistic high school student Friday has gone viral and earned the officer some high praise.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer Tim Purdy was called to a situation involving a student who left the school’s campus and was thought to have been suicidal. Officials said the teen had a history of violent behavior due to his neuro-developmental disorder.

According to police, Purdy tried to build a line of communication with the student. He was seen in a photo released by the department sitting next to the young man and was able to talk things out. The student was also seen laughing with the officer.

Purdy was able to establish trust with the student and helped get the care he needed.

“There’s more to policing than making arrests and enforcing the law,” officials said. “Sometimes taking those extra little steps makes the biggest difference in someone’s life.”

Click for more from Fox 46 Charlotte.

http://www.wistv.com/story/25459694/police-officer-goes-above-and-beyond-for-sumter-teen

SUMTER, SC (WIS) -

A Sumter police officer went above and beyond for a 13-year-old boy.

A few weeks ago, 13-year-old Cameron Simmons called Sumter police because he was upset after fighting with his mom. The teenager told police he didn't want to live in the house with his family anymore.

Officer Gaetano Acerra responded to the call.

"I said, ‘You have it good, you have a roof over your head,'" said Acerra. "I told him I would try to help him out, and here we are now."    

The officer brought Simmons home, and realized the boy didn't have a real bed. In fact, Simmons didn't have nearly anything he needed for a bedroom.

"My heart went out for him," said Acerra. "I thought the little things that he needed I could give him, to make him a happier kid."

A few weeks after the call, Acerra showed up at Simmon's house with a truck full of gifts.

"Bed, TV, desk, chair, a Wii game system that somebody donated to me because of the story I told them," said Acerra.

Simmons told Acerra that because of the new bed, his back won't hurt anymore.

Simmons was sleeping on an inflatable mattress. The teenager said the mattress would slowly deflate throughout the night.

"I didn't do this for publicity or to get people to notice me," Acerra said. "I did it because I could. It was the right thing to do and I think people should do things like this."

Officer Acerra said he has gained more than just a few pats on the back; he's gained friend.

Acerra gave Simmons his cell phone number, and told him to call anytime.

Acerra plans to bring Simmons more bedroom furniture, including a dresser and mirror.

A spokesperson from the Sumter Police Department said Thursday since the story aired, Officer Acerra has fielded a few calls from people wanting to help the Simmons family.

Click here for donation information.

This one is AMAZING - please read (I don't think I could have done what this officer did):

http://fox8.com/2016/04/09/police-officer-helps-find-job-for-man-who-assaulted-him-years-ago/

RICHMOND, Va. — Richmond Police Officer Rey Perez does more than just serve and protect in Richmond’s Mosby Court community. He is also working to boost confidence and the economy.

According to WTVR, Perez came up with the Bridging the Gap: One Human at a Time program. The six-week program trains people with checkered pasts to find and keep jobs.

“I came up with a program to help enhance people’s skills,” Perez said. “Most of the people give me the same answer that they couldn’t [find a job] or they made a mistake many years ago. They needed some help.”

People like Jeffrey Perry.

Perry, 55, served 18 years in prison for driving a getaway car during a robbery. He called his time behind bars exhausting and scary.

When he was released last summer, he was determined to turnover a new leaf.

“I feared the most that employers were not going to hire me based on my criminal history,” Perry said.

Enter Officer Perez’s non-profit. Perez was so impressed with the leadership skills Perry honed in prison, Officer Perez made Perry the vice president of his non-profit.

“We don’t turn anyone down. We help everybody. There is no restrictions or limits to the help we give,” Perry said.

That promise was put to the test when Walter Neal approached Bridging the Gap for help.

Give his past, Neal was skeptical.

“When my cousin first told me about it, I was like, ‘Him? No. No,'” Neal said.

“I was very surprised initially when he walked in,” Officer Perez admitted.

Six years ago Walter, 31, served 30 days for assaulting a police officer. The officer he assaulted was Rey Perez.

Both men have forgiven and moved on.

“(Rey) came to me with a few opportunities to change a thing or two in my life,” Neal said. “I learned how to sell myself in an interview… and I learned a few management skills too.”

After graduating from Bridging the Gap, Neal started a new job at KFC and working toward his computer degree.

“People move on and forgive and forget. And now I’m here,” a hopeful Neal said.

His progress is thanks to his hard work and new friend in uniform.

Officer Rey Perez is a lawman who prefers lending a helping hand rather than handcuffs.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/rome-police-cook-pasta-lonely-elderly-couple-found-crying-home-n627051

Authorities were alerted after cries were reported from an apartment in the city, but officers found the occupants had not been the victim of any crime.

Jole, 89, and her husband Michele, 94, explained that nobody had visited them in months and that they had been upset by something they had seen on the television news, the police department said in a poetic update on its Facebook page on Friday.

An ambulance was called to check over the couple, who have been married for 70 years.

While officers waited for paramedics to arrive they asked for permission to look inside kitchen cupboards to make sure there was enough food.

One of the officers, named in the update as Andrea, cooked an improvised bowl of pasta and cheese for the couple while the others — Alessandro, Ernesto and Mirko — "entertained their new friends," the department said.

The food was "nothing special," it noted, "but had a precious ingredient — humanity."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good thread with good stories about good police officers.   I haven't been commenting on it because I don't really have anything to add, but I didn't want it to seem like I don't appreciate what law enforcement does for all of us. 

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Not sure where else to put this...

5 LMPD Officers Denied Service at Taco Bell

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/5-lmpd-officers-denied-service-at-taco-bell/ar-BBvYz17?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Dumb teenager does dumb thing and no doubt loses his job.   Not really big news, but still dumb.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Predicto said:

This is a good thread with good stories about good police officers.   I haven't been commenting on it because I don't really have anything to add, but I didn't want it to seem like I don't appreciate what law enforcement does for all of us. 

Dumb teenager does dumb thing and no doubt loses his job.   Not really big news, but still dumb.

Would they can him though if he were their best gordita wrapper?   He was just a cleaner ...some "statement" by his employer. 

Edited by Major Harris

• 2 weeks later...

A cop got shot a town over, small city where you would never figure this to happen, and he certainly deserves to be commended, poor guy. I'm really sad for his wife and kid.  Check out the bad guy.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/crime/2016/09/05/investigation-reveals-alamogordo-officer-shot-wanted-fugitive/89896894/

Holy Mother of God.  

untitled-32.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=7

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't often post in this thread, but I thought former officer Stephen Mader deserved to be commended. Mader encountered a disturbed man who was pointing a gun at his head, demanding Mader to shoot him. Mader instead tried to deescalate the situation. Mader is also a veteran who served in Afghanistan. 

Two additional officers arrived on the scene and one of them shot the man in the back of the head. The WV dept fired Mader for not pulling the trigger, but I commend him for respecting the lives of those he was supposed to be serving. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/09/12/west-virginia-cop-fired-for-not-killing-a-man-with-an-unloaded-gun/?utm_term=.76847b4e6dfe

• Like 1

This happen in my backyard and during the height of the national anthem frenzy. Definitely soured me more on Kaepernick's approach to the matter (both form of protest and imagery he demonstrated). Certainly shook the community. Frankly, this does not surprise me unfortunately. In fact, I would be far more shocked if local authorities were TRULY found to be abusive to citizens. 

http://nypost.com/2016/09/03/suspect-killed-officer-injured-in-atlantic-city-shooting/