Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need To Be Commended

btfoom

The entire world needs more positivity.

I quit reading newspapers, watching the news and listening to traditional radio about 15 years ago because of so much negativity.

Cheers to positive vibes and actions!

I dont care who does good things in this world; man, woman, police officer, soldier or citizen...all i know is we need more of it. Big or little, it doesn't matter.

I always tell my kids that many people of helped me in my life and it's important to pay it forward when you can. Then you need to live by those words. Show the children, not tell them.

Edited by RedBeast
  • Like 4

I think the point of this thread is not to argue that there are not bad cops.. it's to show good cops.

I don't think they have to be connected.

I think we all are aware that not all cops are bad,, and conversely not all cops are good.

Making broad swath arguments don't solve anything from either perspective.

Acknowledging both exist can allow for us to recognize the good, and do something about the bad.

it's when we dig in our heels and refuse to accept one or the other as fact that problems get tangled.

People can be all against bad cops, and they can certainly believe the bad outweighs the good. 
Conversely, the folks in here can believe the opposite.

Neither are true, and progress can happen when we back away from the "THE COPS are a group of sadistic racists on a power trip" AND back away from the "Cops need to be defended at all costs because we know they're not all bad."

Cops need to be scrutinized..   defended OR prosecuted when necessary for either.

Not one or the other.

The Blue Wall is a problem. And so are the current attempts to smear all police.
Both are very dangerous to the community.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

nice good stuff, but know that you might tear up a bit at the end

non-cop people (well, maybe it'd be good to note maybe that virtually all "demographics" of people) do this kind of stuff, too, but that doesn't detract from it's relevance here---imv it's a good thing to remember that such things as are in the vid are arguably more of a "default" type of response for the majority of police officers across the nation. i have seen so many examples first hand.

• Like 2

Jumbo and Bang are both spot on in their analysis.

I shouldn't be so quick to tell folks to leave here just because they don't go along with the thread title.  This forum isn't mine, and just because I start a thread doesn't make me the arbiter of who can/can't post here as well as what type and POV are allowed and not allowed.  I will not protest any posts or alternate POVs from now on.  Thanks for the 'reminder'.

Bang really got the 'reason' I posted this thread.  I just wanted a place where folks could post a counter to the thread where LEOs are shown doing bad things with one where police are shown doing good things.  Kind of like a Ying to that Yang.

I'm not saying all police are great - every segment of our society have good, bad, and mostly middle of the road folks.  I do appreciate that others have taken to this thread and thank everyone who has posted here.

• Like 1

The problem is with the motive though...

it isn't about not agreeing with each other, it isn't about having passionate, or logical, or well reasoned opinions.

it's about a certain group of people, who have any number of other threads where they can **** all over police (in some/many cases, rightfully so) who come into this thread to **** on the police.

what's the motive?

there's probably a few, none of them are nice, reasonable, or polite. they're all nasty. why should anyone support that?

why can't they take that to any of the other threads about how ****ty cops are?

whats the motive...

it's not hard to figure out.

• Like 1

And like I said, my reaction was to chase the nay-sayers out, as this thread is not what that is about--and I still think the critical stuff should be either applied sparingly in here or not at all unless there's something posted in here that just invites (begs) such as a responsible counter. Keep in mind that as most (if not all) of you know already, the OP and a thread title ARE given a certain amount of control and direction over the thread they start (pretty common in most forums). 

But I ain't intending (and don't want) to moderate that--I want the participants to carry their own weight on it. What any other mod will do--especially the new guys (they're just freakin weird)--is up to them.

https://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/6143672-10-amazing-photos-thatll-make-you-proud-to-be-a-cop/

• Like 2

While I get what Jumbo is saying, I don't think the point is truly valid.  If someone wants to argue or discuss a certain instance as being commendable, sure that's fine and open for discussion (although I don't think many people will argue that a cop shouldn't have done something good).  When there is a grey area in certain cases within the other thread then that opens up discussion because of different views.  Now if someone goes into the other thread and starts talking about good cops this and good cops that, then I can see your point and that should stay in the commendable thread.  Same with bad cops this and bad cops that in the commendable thread.

• Like 1

Sort of working against myself on the bet here, but I believe in giving props where they're due. NYPD officers Serrano, Polanco and Schoolcraft, my hat is off to you for not observing the blue wall of silence. These are the kind of cops we need more of.

NYPD Officer’s Secret Taping Reveals Superior Ordered Him To Stop And Frisk Black Males Ages 14-21

An NYPD officer gave a powerful assist to a class-action lawsuit against stop and frisk Thursday, according to a New York Daily News article.

RELATED: NYPD Cop: I’m Labeled A Rat Because I Spoke Out Against ‘Stop And Frisk’

Officer Pedro Serrano (pictured), who also testified in Manhattan Federal Court Wednesday, secretly recorded deputy inspector Christopher McCormack telling him to stop “the right people, the right time, the right location,” at a Bronx precinct.

“He meant Black and Hispanics,” Serrano testified on the stand Thursday. Serrano can be heard voicing that suspicion on the tape...

• Like 3

I, for one, believe more firmly in positive affirmation...even if the duty is routine, or expected. I always open doors, say please, & thank you, & start with the formalities, & finish with warm goodbyes. I even try to manage a smile, especially when i don't really feel like it.

Why?

Because i've witnessed the infectious impact of positivity.

Now....i'm terrible at this in message boards, lol......my passion gets the better of me, & I tend to take a "must not back down" posture as exemplified by my upbringing, & peers. It's way out of character for me, & it's in large part because in the real world i tend to get tuned out, or drowned out. As a result, i tend to overcompensate in situations where i know my voice will generally be heard.

But nobody deserves that, really.....at least not here. I don't need to take out my real world frustrations on teh interwebz.

It's a work in progress...but i digress.

The main point i wish to make here is that i feel that people are/have been so quick to point out oppression, & systemic failure based on the perceptions of their realities. I sympathize with their circumstances...i really do, but i believe that fundamentally, they are barking up the wrong trees, & barking in ways that make many (such as myself) tune it out as little more than noise.

Personally...i am less likely to do something if you demand it of me, & do so with tonal inflection. I imagine i cannot be alone in this. Besides, i just don't feel that the positive reinforcement angle has really been given the ol' college try.

I feel that reinforcement of good police behavior...yes, despite the expectations of the job...can go a long way to encouraging more of the same. They are people after all. People whose jobs are extremely stressful, & are filled with constant/relentless forced interactions with irate public who see them as less than human. It becomes only natural if you are looked at this way constantly, to start treating those you come in contact with in like mind.

I worked an extremely tough job dealing with nasty segments of society for a short while & i generally look at the public as disgusting, vile, conniving, & unpredictable. I got ulcers from stress at one point. The best part was that our data showed that over 95% of all of our calls were customer related, & could have been fixed before calling at all.

As a result, i tend to be apathetic to claims of injustice when it comes to the public interacting with any form of authority ranging from service employees, up to law enforcement. It's not that i don't care, it's just that i tend to lean in the direction that people, usually are quick to hold the people they are forced to encounter to a higher standard than they themselves would aim to put forth...& that hardly seems fair to me.

For my part, if means little to me whether i have knowledge of how a person is required to act in my presence, or whether i feel right to be upset, or to outwardly project my frustrations with you simply because "that's your job." It's a bull**** excuse for being a poorly human being.

All told, I am aghast at the many individual events (some moreso than others) on record as of late, & even moreso to note that these are only the ones we are made aware of. I think this is the general popular reaction. Still, i doubt the irony of treating all people of blue color based on the actions of few should be lost on anyone. Especially when the topic du jour seeks to illustrate, & condemn just such an action.

Nay, i would much rather encourage good police work, regardless of how routine it should be. I would like to emphasize the instances of better judgment vs the ones that illustrate the opposite. & i feel that the better move is to reward just such practices, rather than show apathy to their requirement, in order to more effectively weed out those who are incapable of acting in good faith as public servants.

At the very root of this belief is the prevailing thought that through kindness, the kind will multiply; & through violence, or negativity, i will respond in kind.

Edited by nemocystem

• 2 weeks later...

This guy is not a cop, but he's a hero just the same. He assisted the police, and possibly saved a woman's life. good story.

http://www.liftbump.com/2015/08/76523-he-was-walking-by-a-couple-when-he-sees-fear-in-her-eyes-thats-when-he-offers-to-by-them-tickets/

Seventeen-year-old Malyk Bonnet says he doesn’t think of himself as a hero. But the woman who owes her life to his courage and good judgment would probably disagree.

As CBC News reports, Bonnet was on his way home from work when he noticed a couple arguing by a bus stop. Persuaded that the man might hit the woman, Bonnet approached them.

more at the link

~Bang

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great local (Maryland) story about another great cop going above and beyond

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/31/police-officer-pays-for-homeless-mother-daughter-to-stay-in-hotel-eat/?intcmp=hplnws

A hungry, homeless mother, who said she was a victim of domestic violence, took her one-year-old daughter to the lobby of a Maryland police department last week because she had nowhere else to go.

Cpl. Che’ Atkinson changed that.

Atkinson rented the woman and her child a hotel room and brought them food and drinks, an act of kindness that was covertly documented by one of Atkinson's superiors and shared by thousands on Facebook. As of Monday afternoon, the Prince George's County Police Department's post had garnered more than 14,000 likes and nearly 3,500 shares since it was written on Aug. 28.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This case is very sad, but the care the police showed in attempting to preserve the life of the shooter and defuse the situation is truly commendable.  They would certainly have been justified in simply returning fire immediately after the first shot was fired at them, but they attempted to keep the man from putting them in a completely unwinnable situation.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/body-cam-footage-clears-cops-in-cleveland-shooting-death/

It also is very demonstrative of the benefits that body cams provide to police.  With the clear benefits to the public they have included with the benefits to the police, there's really not any good reason not to implement them widely.

• Like 1

Hey Dogs of War 1, thanks for this post. 

Hard read, but it does show how these folks really try to help people.  Thanks.

By the way, everyone should read this:

The man had already shot one officer, striking the chest of a patrolman David Muniz's ballistic vest. "I know you shot me, but I'm not going to shoot you," Muniz tells the 64-year-old Johnson, according to police body cam footage taken at the scene.

Johnson replies, "Do what you do, man," according to the video.

According to the tape, Muniz tells Johnson, "Put the gun down. We don't want to kill you. Just drop the gun."

"I wanna die," Johnson replies, according to the tape.

"No, you don't want to die," Muniz replies, according to the tape.

Officers are overheard telling Johnson they will get him some help. He says he doesn't want it, according to the tape. He raises his weapon, and the police open fire, killing Johnson on March 11.

Edited by btfoom

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes police officers save animals, too:

https://screen.yahoo.com/kc-police-officers-talk-saving-032738667.html

A cop traveling on a rainy Kansas City highway happened upon a heartbreaking sight this week: A frantic deer, caught in traffic, ramming itself in panic against the concrete barrier. Officer Jason Rains was joined by Sgt. Steven Sandusky; the pair thought the deer was injured and would have to be put down but after carefully approaching, realized it had gotten its leg stuck in a drainage hole. Rains was able to free the doe's leg. Sandusky then lead the deer off the bridge and over to a wooded area by a Firefighter's Memorial. <rest at link>

Or maybe an elderly lady who needs help with her lawn:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/national/police-help-elderly-woman-mow-lawn/nmrny/?ecmp=daytondaily_social_facebook_2014_sfp

When some local police officers passed a home while on patrol, they saw an elderly woman mowing her lawn. When they returned several hours later and saw her still at it, they decided to do something to help.

According to Brookhaven police, after stopping to talk to the woman, officers learned her late husband took great pride in their lawn.

Since his passing, she has tried to keep it up, but has a difficult time doing it herself.

Officer C. McCoy, with the Brookhaven Police Department, volunteered to help her by finishing the task himself. He wanted to give her a break, he said.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

and as always,  the number of police who are good FAR outweighs those who aren't:

http://fox8.com/2015/09/27/kansas-police-officers-good-deed-brings-man-to-tears/

ROELAND PARK, Kan. - Another Kansas officer is getting some well-deserved attention after helping out a man in need.

This week, Officer Zach Stamper did what he could to make life a little easier for a local working man, according to FOX 4 KC.

Back in July, one of Stamper's coworkers got national attention for helping a mom who tried to shoplift diapers.

Samuel Meixueiro walks between five and six hours to work everyday as he has hit some hard times.

“Sometimes I have to sleep outside because I want to keep my job. That's just how it is,”  Meixueiro said.

Last Tuesday, he cut through a park on his way to work and someone called police because they thought he looked suspicious.

“He shook my hand, we had a chat like I was talking to a friend of mine,” Officer Stamper said.

After hearing Meixueiro's story, he knew he had to help. Within a half hour, he came back with a bike and a duffel bag for his things.

“I cried. I couldn't believe it. Things are so hard for me right now. Any kind of help is just a blessing,” Meixueiro said. “Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

“It made my day. It made my career,” Officer Stamper said.

The two exchanged numbers and plan to stay in contact.

http://www.good4utah.com/news/local-utah-state-news-/unified-police-officer-caught-doing-good-deed

You have probably noticed that anytime an officer shoots somebody, the news reports it right away, but part being a 'Good 4 Utah' station means reporting the positive law-enforcement stories as well.

It seems like a simple act of kindness, but it 'meant the world' for someone in trouble. It happened in the right lane of Redwood Road, near 5400 S. 

Julia Henkel was heading to work when her blue Toyota started shaking. 

"I heard this noise, and I was like, 'Oh no...'” Henkel recalled. 

Henkel quickly pulled into a nearby parking lot and realized and the situation was not good. 

"I had a totally flat tire—my first one ever. I'm 50 years old, and it was my first flat tire!” she laughed. 

Henkel tried mending the tire herself, but when that did not work, she started heading home.

"I decided to try and make my way down Redwood Road with my flashers on going about 20 [miles per hour], when all of the sudden, I saw lights on in my rearview mirror, and an officer came to my rescue!" Henkel explained.

That officer was Unified Police Dept. Officer Cody Miskin. 

"I was just concerned—didn't want her to get hit by a car or anything like that—wanted to make sure that she was okay and safe,” Miskin said. 

Two officers were gunned down yesterday in Abingdon MD.

Stealing this from a FB post....

Earlier today, law enforcement officers was dispatched to a call of an older, disheveled, apparently homeless, suspicious subject who was sitting in a restaurant without having ordered any food. The first deputy responding to the call reportedly approached the subject, and in an attempt to treat him with humanizing kindness and compassion, sat down to him and asked the man how his day was going. The man responded by putting a gun to the deputy's temple and pulling the trigger. He then proceeded outside, where he killed another responding deputy sheriff.

For those of you who have not worn a badge, please remember this case. The next time you interact with a police officer (or Sheriff's deputy), the next time you witness someone else interacting with the cops, before you criticize the officer for not being as friendly as you think they should be, before you judge his or her demeanor as being cold, condescending, or excessively cautious, before you accuse them of overreacting or countering resistance or force with brutality, please remember this case. Because there's a good chance that officer does. There's a good chance they knew, remember, or heard about the deputy who was murdered in cold blood for simply being polite.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://wwmt.com/news/state/michigan-boy-sacrifices-birthday-party-to-honor-police-officers

LANSING, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A Michigan boy sacrificed his own 11th birthday party to celebrate the entire law enforcement community.

Last weekend, he had a big party filled with his heroes that came from all over the country to thank him for his support.

"When I found out that all the cops are getting bullied, so I can relate to them because I've been bullied," said Jeremie Bordua.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-trooper-buys-meal-panhandler-211800175.html

When an alleged panhandler spotted a Massachusetts State Trooper heading in her direction, she expected to be asked to move along, not treated to a meal.

Read: Cop Pulls Over 2-Year-Old Driving Around in Tiny Mini Cooper: 'She Was Late For a Nail Appointment'

Trooper Luke Bonin from the State Police Dartmouth Barracks was reportedly driving along when he spotted a woman in Fall River holding a sign, asking for help.

According to a Facebook post by Massachusetts State Police on the deed, that was when Bonin decided to continue driving, and picked up two meals for them to eat.

When the trooper pulled up to the woman, officials wrote, "thinking he was there to remove her from the side of the road, she immediately stated to him that she would leave."

But Bonin reportedly replied, "I'm not here to kick you out."

Instead, he pulled out the meals and asked her to take her pick.

• Like 1