Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

the problem is that the "i feared for my life" thing is a real concern.. by definition these human beings are put into harms way.      

but it is such a powerful blank check.. and one that is near impossible to verify... which just BEGS to be abused by any ****-stain.   

6 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

the problem is that the "i feared for my life" thing is a real concern.. by definition these human beings are put into harms way.      

It's definitely something that is in there for a reason because there are plenty of situations where it is warranted.  I think it is more that there really is no "fear for my life" standard to go by. For all intensive purposes, police officers could fear for their lives every single time dispatch calls to send them somewhere. 

I think the standard of practice criteria as used in other professions could work, IF we could trust the so-called justice system. So, in simple terms, if most reasonable practitioners would use the same degree of force under the circumstances, it’s OK. If most wouldn’t, it’s a crime. The problem is the blue gang wall of silence would still be in full effect and you’d be hard pressed to find even a single cop to serve as an SME against his fellow blue gang “brothers”.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I think the standard of practice criteria as used in other professions could work, IF we could trust the so-called justice system. So, in simple terms, if most reasonable practitioners would use the same degree of force under the circumstances, it’s OK. If most wouldn’t, it’s a crime. The problem is the blue gang wall of silence would still be in full effect and you’d be hard pressed to find even a single cop to serve as an SME against his fellow blue gang “brothers”.

the blue wall of silence is the real enemy.   all of the hero-cop movies with the sinister internal-affairs snowflake villains...     we need to figure out how to internalize to our society that oversight is actually the heroic role that keeps us all (including the good cops) safe... 

but... people are stupid, and easier to fool than playing "i got your nose" with a 8 month old.

i was listening to a "radio lab" podcast yesterday called "tweak the vote" .. which was mostly an interesting discussion about how much better "ranked voting" would be than our current system (and yes,.. it WOULD be!) ... but the podcast started with some statistics about feelings on democracy versus authoritarianism in the USA and Europe:

here is a poor voice-to-text transcript:

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/radiolab/tweak-the-vote-Ymqeb_O-vC0/

00:05:32in Okay Here So let's start with this one How do you feel about a strong ruler who doesn't have to bother with parliament elections Who doesn't have to bother with parliament's or elections Correct Yeah Okay They also asked this of americans just instead of doesn't have to bother
00:05:47with parliament It was doesn't have to bother with congress anyway So in nineteen ninety five twenty four percent of all americans endorsed that kind of strongman leader twenty four So you you know one out of every four Yeah but in the last several years that number has jumped
00:06:05from twenty four two thirty two percent So now it's a third Almost That's yeah it's a strong leader who doesn't have to deal with congress or elections is either a very good or fairly good thing Well that surprises me It's it's kind of even more striking in europe
00:06:23So in germany one in six people used to like that idea But now the one in free who in germany where they should know better Yeah in france the united kingdom it was one in four twenty years ago And now it's one and two half half Yeah so
00:06:41every second britt and frenchman says yeah the idea off a strong ruler who doesn't have to bubble of parliament elections That's pretty appealing to me

(note... this poll took place before Trump and before Brexit) 

the poll shows that 1 in 3 americans and half french and brits feel that a president that could just get **** done without having to deal with congress/parliment oversight would be a good thing.

furthermore...

00:08:03do you think the army rule is a good system of government army rule So we're not what This is no civilians anymore Soldiers running the government soldiers following orders soldiers giving orders So twenty years ago about one and sixteen americans for those good system of government Ah and
00:08:24the most recent poll a couple of years ago it was one and six Oh and among young and affluent americans it's actually gone up from six percent Two thirty five percent sixfold increase In america you have one in three young affluent americans I military was a wonderful thing

by 2015 over 1/3 of affluent young americans believed that straight out marshal law (rule by the military) during peacetime would be a good thing.... 

people are stupid... and they get more outraged by finding out that is possible that a criminal got away because of a "technicality"   (cops not following the rules) than they get outraged by the eroding of their rights and protections.   they viscerally just want cops and leaders that can do what they need to do to get **** done, without having to deal with all the snowflake bureaucracy  and oversight...   ... ... ... they are ****ing booger eating morons.  

• Thanks 1

In regards to the Columbia student and the library, the additional context says after 11pm everyone has to show their ID when they walk in. But it is a rule that is rarely enforced. When it is enforced, it almost always enforced on a PoC. 

76 shots?  Someone should've spent more time at the range.

Video shows Anaheim police firing 76 shots during ‘alarming and irresponsible’ chase

Orange County prosecutors Wednesday released dramatic video showing two Anaheim police officers firing 76 shots at a suspect during a high-speed pursuit that the district attorney’s office called “alarming and irresponsible.”

One of the officers has been fired, and the other faces potential internal discipline after firing through the windshield of a police cruiser at a man they believed to be armed, ultimately killing him.

Eliuth Penaloza Nava, 50, was struck by at least nine bullets.

Click on the link for the full article

No, we don't know the backstory or how the situation started.

I DO see the fear and panic on the 14 year-old girl's face when she mouths the words "I can't breathe" as an angry, grown man forearm chokes her.  

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

^those people were out of control, I feel sorry for the police officers. No win situation...

IKR! Poor officer friendly. But unruly crowds and violence against cops isn’t a new thing ya know.

ss-150308-selma-march-lewis-mn_1beb0e015

Arresting someone that refuses to comply is rarely going to be pretty, especially if it’s a teenager.  There is no non violent means of doing it.  It is a fundamentally physically violent act.  While I’m saddened when any child is harmed, I have to ask what’s the solution here?  Teenagers get into serious trouble everyday all over the country, the police can’t just arrest them when they’re willing to go along with it.

• Like 3

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/13/722745266/san-francisco-police-raid-journalists-home-after-he-refuses-to-name-source

San Fran Police abuse call kinds of authority in order to get a reporter to dilvulge one of his sources. Instead of, I dunno, actually trying to figure out who in their dept has or allegedly has killed a public defender and set it up to be a drug overdose/suicide. 

Yet another example of how police departments all across the nation operate like the very elements of society they are supposed to be protecting us from. 

7 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

How do you think the article put it? 

So, let me be clear. I'm not comfortable with how the police handled it. I don't want to be read as defending the police per se.

That said, they apparently had a warrant from a judge. The information was illegally leaked. I didn't see anything in the article about police allegedly murdering the PD, but I assume you got that information elsewhere from a credible source. 

The current public defender is quoted as approving of the police's actions. That seems to me to lend some air of legitimacy, unless the new public defender is using the whole incident to advance his own career. 

Side note, the journalist also appears to have violated journalistic ethics according to a body of journalists. That's not relevant to whether his rights were violated, but it does make me imagine there are multiple angles to this. 

14 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

So, let me be clear. I'm not comfortable with how the police handled it. I don't want to be read as defending the police per se.

That said, they apparently had a warrant from a judge. The information was illegally leaked. I didn't see anything in the article about police allegedly murdering the PD, but I assume you got that information elsewhere from a credible source. 

The current public defender is quoted as approving of the police's actions. That seems to me to lend some air of legitimacy, unless the new public defender is using the whole incident to advance his own career. 

Side note, the journalist also appears to have violated journalistic ethics according to a body of journalists. That's not relevant to whether his rights were violated, but it does make me imagine there are multiple angles to this. 

I can understand how you came to that conclusion. My view is based on the fact the deceased PD was a police watchdog, and was actually investigating the lead police coroner for falsifying reports, and that same lead coroner did the report on his autopsy. Which conveniently, for the police, painted the deceased PD as an adulter who accidentally died of a cocaine overdose. My assertion that they murdered him and then covered it up isn't based on any hard evidence, it's all circumstantial, but based upon seeing eerily similar circumstances occur with the Baltimore PD and it turn out they absolutely did those things.  

• Like 1

“Sit down… You have a dangerous object in your hand,” Smyly is heard saying in body camera footage.

“I have a dangerous object? I’m picking up trash,” Atkinson responded.

Smyly again asked Atkinson to sit down and said he was being detained. At this point, Smyly had his Taser in his hand.

“Your hand is on your weapon and you're gonna shoot me?” Atkinson said. “That's what you’re gonna do, officer? You're gonna shoot me on this property for picking up trash? That's what you're going to do, officer?”

At one point, Atkinson raised his voice and Smyly reported that “he felt threatened by the trash grabber and drew his Taser and later transitioned to his handgun. Both weapons were pointed in a downward direction in front of the officer,” according to the report. Smyly would later say he drew his handgun because Atkinson was wearing a heavy coat and he didn’t know if it would be effective.

Just a general thought, but I think the title of this thread is indicative of the problem.  We have such low expectations of justice when police are the defendants.  The thread title should be, "some more cops that need to be in prison."

If you can basically just kill anybody, and the worst thing thats gonna happen to you is that maybe you lose your job (and even then only if there is a national outcry), theres no real incentive not to be an asshole with an itchy trigger finger.

Edited by Koala
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NYPD Officer Arrested After Trying to Have Hitman Hired to Kill Ex and Child: Prosecutors

An NYPD officer was arrested after she tried to have a hitman hired to kill her ex-husband as well as a child, prosecutors say.

Valerie Cincinelli, 34, tried to get her current boyfriend to hire a hitman, a police official told NBC 4 New York. Cincinelli was arrested Friday by the FBI following a sting operation. NYPD Internal Affairs assisted in her arrest.

A source familiar with the investigation tells NBC 4 New York the child was her current boyfriend's 14-year-old daughter. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Home boy of mine who was a Bmore Cop but left said that the reason he did was because you are given a very binary choice. Its never explicitly said to you, but you understand the choice you have is either to be with us or against us. Literally. Said it got so bad he had to watch his back in the streets and in the office/building or whatever they call it. 

• Like 1