Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

• 2 weeks later...

‘A momentous day’: All 6 rogue Mississippi cops got long prison sentences in ‘Goon Squad’ torture of 2 Black men

Joshua Hartfield, the last of six White former Mississippi law enforcement officers sentenced in the torture of two Black men in January 2023, received a 10-year prison term in federal court Thursday afternoon.

The hearing capped an emotional three days during which vivid accounts of the horrifying brutality of a self-styled “Goon Squad” of deputies gripped a packed courtroom, where the highest-ranking officer on the scene – Brett McAlpin – was sentenced to more than 27 years in prison earlier Thursday.

“This a momentous day,” Melvin Jenkins, the father of one of the victims, said after the final sentencing.

US Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a release: “The depravity of the crimes committed by these defendants cannot be overstated, and they will now spend between 10 and 40 years in prison for their heinous attack on citizens they had sworn to protect.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Grandmother Awarded Nearly $4 Million Over SWAT Raid Predicated On A Faulty ‘Find My Phone’ Ping

In January 2022, 77-year-old Ruby Johnson’s house was raided by the Denver Police Department. Supposedly seeking a stolen vehicle and several guns, the SWAT team descended on Johnson’s house. The officers ordered anyone inside to come out of the house. Johnson complied, but that didn’t stop the SWAT team from attempting to destroy her house to find the contraband it was sure was located inside the home (which I guess includes the “stolen truck”). The SWAT team, with the home’s only resident in its temporary custody, proceeded to destroy her garage door with a battering ram, smash some ceiling panels (?), destroy some of her belongings, and otherwise leave her house in disarray.

The warrant was predicated on little more than a ping produced by Apple’s “Find My iPhone” feature. That ping (initiated by the victim of the truck and phone theft) managed to narrow down the location of the stolen phone to at least six homes in the neighborhood. This location data isn’t always precise. The precision depends on the settings applied by the device owner and, unless the phone is set to always share its location, the location provided by this feature is an approximation that can be off by dozens or hundreds of feet.

The Denver PD used the screenshot of the victim’s “Find My iPhone” search results to support its search warrant. This was pretty much the only so-called probable cause offered by the Denver PD before it raided this home.

SWAT Team Raids Innocent Family Over Stolen AirPods Dropped on Their Street

A pair of AirPods and what lawyers say was some shoddy police work resulted in an innocent middle-class Ferguson family having their front door smashed in by the St. Louis County SWAT team last May.

Around 6:30 p.m. on May 26, Brittany Shamily was at home with her children, including an infant, when police used a battering ram to bust in her front door. “What the hell is going on?” she screamed, terrified for herself and her family. “I got a three-month-old baby!”

Body camera footage from the scene shows Shamily come to the front door, her hands up, her face a mix of fright and utter confusion at the heavily armed folly making its way from her front porch into her foyer. “Oh my god,” she says.

The SWAT team was looking for guns and other material related to a carjacking that had occurred that morning. Their search didn’t turn up any of that — though it has led to a lawsuit, filed Friday, that may lead to a better public understanding of how county police decide whether to deploy a SWAT team or serve a search warrant in a less menacing manner.

Because in this case, the police clearly made the wrong call.

The carjacking that led to the raid happened about 12 hours prior, 16 miles away, in south county.

Around 6 a.m., two brothers were leaving the Waffle House on Telegraph Road near Jefferson Barracks when a group of six people pulled up outside the restaurant and carjacked them. Two of the carjackers took off in the brothers' Dodge Charger while the other four fled the scene in their own vehicles.

St. Louis County Police were summoned to the scene. As part of their investigation, a friend of the carjacked brothers told police that his AirPods were in the stolen car and that he could track them using the “FindMy” application, a feature that lets users locate one Apple device using another.

Police did just that and, according to the lawsuit, the app showed the AirPods to be at Shamily’s house.

There was just one problem.

"FindMy is not that accurate," says the family’s lawyer, Bevis Schock. "I actually went to my house with my co-counsel and played around with it for an hour. It's just not that good."

Yet based on the “FindMy” result, an officer signed an application for a search warrant saying he had reason to believe that "firearms, ammunition, holsters" and other "firearm-related material" were inside.

That evening, police showed up in full combat gear carrying a battering ram.

Shamily's husband, Lindell Briscoe, was napping in his work truck in the driveway with two of the couple's other children when police showed up. They pointed their weapons at him, demanding he get out.

Inside the house, body camera footage shows one of the officers in full SWAT gear pick up the crying three-month-old and carry the baby outside. Shamily asked if she could sit down and was told no.

It's wild they took this long

A Utah man was charged with multiple counts of attempted murder Monday after prosecutors say he plowed his car into at least six female pedestrians over the last seven months. 

Authorities suspect 26-year-old Anh Pham targeted the five women and one teenage girl at random, according to charging documents. He has also been connected to “at least three more hit-and-run incidents,” prosecutors say — two in Salt Lake County and one in Summit County.

Investigators identified Pham in charging documents as homeless, noting he had been living in his car and has been driving with an expired license.

Court records show he has three other pending cases in Salt Lake County — one misdemeanor case, and two felony cases. 

In the first felony case, Pham is accused of making a hoax 911 call. He allegedly called 911 on July 10, 2023, to report that a woman was running around with a gun and “was going to shoot everyone.” When Murray SWAT officers arrived and began closing down the area near 270 E. 5300 South, they determined there was no real threat and traced the caller’s number to Pham.

In the other felony case, Pham is accused of punching through an S-Line streetcar operator’s window glass. Pham told investigators in November that he fell into the window and it broke, court records show.

Prosecutors in his attempted murder case argued for a no-bail warrant, arguing that the “ongoing nature” of Pham’s “reckless disregard for human safety, callousness toward the results of his actions and complete disregard for the law” made him a danger to himself and the public.

On 27 September 2022, San Bernardino county sheriff’s deputies were searching for Savannah Graziano, who was feared abducted by her father Anthony Graziano after he had fatally shot her mother the day before.

Deputies cornered Anthony Graziano’s vehicle on the side of a freeway in Hesperia, 80 miles east of Los Angeles. When Savannah exited the vehicle, they opened fire and killed her. The shooting sparked national concern, with critics questioning how officers wound up killing the teenage girl they were tasked with rescuing.

Sheriff’s officials claimed following the shooting that it was unclear whether Savannah was shot by deputies or her father, and they said deputies didn’t realize it was her when she got out of the car. For nearly two years, they refused to release footage of the shooting.

But on Friday, the department disclosed nearly a dozen video files to the independent journalist Joey Scott, who filed records requests 18 months prior. The clips – which were shared with the Guardian and include helicopter footage – show deputies shooting at Savannah as she followed their instructions to move toward them. The videos also suggest deputies shot her after two officers remarked that it was the girl who exited. The footage, and the sheriff’s narration of the video, further make clear she was killed by deputies, not her father.

• Sad 2

4 CT State Police troopers who faked traffic tickets in 2018 won’t face state charges, officials say

Four troopers who falsified traffic tickets in 2018 won’t face state criminal charges because the Connecticut State Police did not notify prosecutors in time, officials say.

“There was no referral to the local state’s attorney for review of the conduct in question in 2018, and as a result, the statute of limitations for state charges to be filed has passed,” Alaine Griffin, a spokesperson for Chief State’s Attorney Patrick J. Griffin, said in a recent email to CT Insider.

Griffin’s office declined to comment when CT Insider asked about the statute of limitations for the four original troopers in July, nearly a year after it opened its investigation into the four troopers. By that time, federal authorities had taken charge of the investigation into possible trooper ticket fraud, Griffin later announced. The Department of Justice has since opened an ongoing criminal grand jury probe into the scandal.

It’s also possible that federal authorities could bring conspiracy charges, according to Twardy — especially if they have evidence of a cover up. That would allow them to prosecute older crimes as long as the last act of the alleged conspiracy was within the five-year statute of limitations.

San Anselmo man tased by police during medical seizure, alleges cover-up

A San Anselmo man on Wednesday sued police after they stunned him with a Taser and arrested him while he was having a grand mal seizure in his bedroom – all captured on body camera video obtained by KTVU. 

Bruce Frankel, 61, a financial planner, filed the suit in Marin County Superior Court against the Central Marin Police Authority alleging battery, false arrest and defamation. His lawsuit also alleges that police concocted a cover-up story, where officers falsely arrested him on bogus charges to justify what he describes as their use of excessive force.

Someone sucks at math.  The quote says the officer racked up over a million dollars in lawsuit payouts, yet somehow Scott Hechinger multiplied that tenfold and says it’s over a billion dollars.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, China said:

Someone sucks at math.  The quote says the officer racked up over a million dollars in lawsuit payouts, yet somehow Scott Hechinger multiplied that tenfold and says it’s over a billion dollars.

I suspect the first mention is a typo. But yeah maybe. 

8 hours ago, China said:

Tenfold?

Seems like Thousandfold to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Compton community leader mistakenly detained by L.A. County deputies demands answers

A Compton community leader wants accountability from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department after deputies broke into his home and wrongfully detained him. 

On April 18, 2023, deputies burst into the home of Derrick Cooper, 55, at around 4 a.m. with their weapons drawn. They handcuffed him and hauled him outside while he was still naked from the waist down.

Cooper was sleeping and said he was shocked waking up to “guns and flashlights in my face” as deputies ordered him to get out of bed. 

“They looked at me, saw a black man laying in the bed, buck naked and said, ‘We got a criminal here,” Cooper said. “Thank God they didn’t shoot me because that’s exactly what I was thinking the whole time.”

Cooper, who was only wearing a shirt at the time, said he asked if he could put on some pants or clothing to cover himself but was denied by authorities. 

He was walked over to a police car parked on Compton Boulevard where he was placed inside and detained.

“When I was in the police car, I’m sitting there and I hear the dispatch on the radio say, ‘You’re at the wrong building. That’s not the person that we’re looking for. Let him go.’”

Deputies later confirmed they had been searching for a burglary suspect at the wrong address.

A year later, Cooper said he is still waiting for answers as to why the incident, which he described as humiliating and a violation of his rights, happened the way it did.

“It’s been one year and nothing has changed,” Cooper said. “Nothing has changed. I want accountability.”